Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 180414 times)
gildinwen

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: June 12, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

So I downloaded the kindle version of "Red White and Royal Blue" a book by the author Casey MCQuinston as it's going to be adapted into a show produced by Greg Berlanti and amazon and

ooooooh boy. Not a good idea.

For starters here's the synopsis :

Alex, the son of President Ellen Claremont, is close with his sister and the Veep's granddaughter. When he and rival Prince Henry of Wales are caught fighting at a wedding, it creates a nightmare that threatens relations between Britain and the United States. Damage control means a fake friendship between Alex and Prince Henry. Alex discovers what Henry is truly like beneath the facade and they end up falling in love for real, keeping their relationship a secret, while his mother seeks re-election.

She's got the US style stuff down pat, but the British Royal Family stuff? Uh-nuh. And I wouldn't mind it so much if she hadn't specifically mentioned Brexit placing it in an only semi-alternate universe to ours. And the Royal family is ....not drawn well ( and the Prince embarrassingly woke in this which uhhhhhhh no?)

If anyone wants me to do a full review I will, but I know I'm going to cringing through this when it comes to screen
Oh God, it sounds like a soap-opera in a book. Too much drama, too much word salad, too much fiction. It must be so bad that it actually ends up being addictive. I would be curious to read it. At least try to.

The thing its a good read. In a trashy fanfic sort of way. But as I said upthread. The way that the Queen Elizabeth II analogue is so in direct contrast to what people know of her the way the Royal family is written and the way it's set in our universe sort of is making me want to cry.
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:24 AM »

So I downloaded the kindle version of "Red White and Royal Blue" a book by the author Casey MCQuinston as it's going to be adapted into a show produced by Greg Berlanti and amazon and

Alex, the son of President Ellen Claremont, is close with his sister and the Veep's granddaughter. When he and rival Prince Henry of Wales are caught fighting at a wedding, it creates a nightmare that threatens relations between Britain and the United States. Damage control means a fake friendship between Alex and Prince Henry. Alex discovers what Henry is truly like beneath the facade and they end up falling in love for real, keeping their relationship a secret, while his mother seeks re-election.

She's got the US style stuff down pat, but the British Royal Family stuff? Uh-nuh. And I wouldn't mind it so much if she hadn't specifically mentioned Brexit placing it in an only semi-alternate universe to ours. And the Royal family is ....not drawn well ( and the Prince embarrassingly woke in this which uhhhhhhh no?)

If anyone wants me to do a full review I will, but I know I'm going to cringing through this when it comes to screen
Oh God, it sounds like a soap-opera in a book. Too much drama, too much word salad, too much fiction. It must be so bad that it actually ends up being addictive. I would be curious to read it. At least try to.

The thing its a good read. In a trashy fanfic sort of way. But as I said upthread. The way that the Queen Elizabeth II analogue is so in direct contrast to what people know of her the way the Royal family is written and the way it's set in our universe sort of is making me want to cry.
Perfect for the beach!

gildinwen

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: June 13, 2019, 01:32:13 AM »

Perfect for the beach!

Perfect for a netflix film. tv show which is what Berlanti is apparently considering lol
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: July 12, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »

Almost finishing the Dutch translation of Karin Slaughter - The last widow.
Another Will Trent book.

It grab me by the gut, I would definitely recommend this book!
Freefun2222

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: July 22, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »

I would recommend Good Omens they have just made a tv series of it but its a really good book so funny.
jolene

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: July 22, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »

Another Will Trent book.

It hasn't been released in the States yet. I usually like the Will Trent books.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: July 22, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »

Another Will Trent book.

It hasn't been released in the States yet. I usually like the Will Trent books.

Mmmmm, based on Karin Slaughter being an American author, I would expect the States would be the 1st release...…..

By coincidence I started with the Sara Linton series, which got me hooked on Slaughter. From there I went on with Will Trent. Also because the Sara Linton series later on fused with the Will Trent series Wink

Besides Slaughter I can really enjoy the Jack Reacher series of Lee Child and the Women murder club series of James Patterson. In the past I wasn't much of a thriller fan, but several years ago a then holiday friend introduced me to good writers in the genre.

This year I discovered the Helen Grace series of M.J. Arlidge. In no time I have read the series, even when I needed to read the original English version (no Dutch translation available yet).

Lady Liebe

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: July 22, 2019, 05:50:26 PM »

I screamed into my kindle......that's not how it *works*

Sigh. I'd be doing the same. I couldn't get past the first series of The Crown because I was yelling at the TV a whole lot . . . . I know lots of people love the series but I just couldn't take the inconsistencies.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: July 29, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »

Just finished

Praise said, amongst others "...plot packed with twists ...". And boy, it is. You'd neither know nor guess even after 3/4rds how it finally plays out. Good vacation read - because you'd not want to put it down just because it's midnight and you have to rather sleep because of work the next day.
Booklover

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: July 29, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »

Lost Girls of Paris. Couldn't put it down.
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: July 29, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »

I bought A Discovery of Witches today. I didn’t plan on reading it but I loved the series so much and it ended on that massive cliff hanger.  I have to get my fix since they are just now filming season 2  Crap I can’t wait that long to find out what happens.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: July 29, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »

I read the trilogy a few years ago and like the tv series.
The first 2 books are good, the 3rd is ok but I love to re-read them.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: July 30, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »

I bought A Discovery of Witches today. I didn’t plan on reading it but I loved the series so much and it ended on that massive cliff hanger.  I have to get my fix since they are just now filming season 2  Crap I can’t wait that long to find out what happens.

I have recently read the whole series in English (as someone advised me to do, as they were apparently better in English then in the Dutch translation).

I liked them, but wasn't overwhelmed. It took me longer to read the whole series + the book about Marcus and Phoebe than expected.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: July 30, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »

The past weeks I was surprised by for me a new (European) Nordic writer, as I have read her books DNA and Vortex (both with main characters Huldar & Freya):

Yrsa Sigurđardóttir

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Sigur%C3%B0ard%C3%B3ttir

onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »

The past weeks I was surprised by for me a new (European) Nordic writer, as I have read her books DNA and Vortex (both with main characters Huldar & Freya):

Yrsa Sigurđardóttir

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Sigur%C3%B0ard%C3%B3ttir

I have read EG MAN PIG from Yrsa, in the greek translation the title is "The Revenge". It was so strong, the atmosphere was absolutely evocative because it was dark but it wasn't forced. Her writting was flowing, there were no obstacles for the reader except from the fear, true, pure horror! The book slightly reminded me off the series Harper's Island.
I definitely want to read more from her.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: