Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 183070 times)
Eve

Medium Member

Estonia Estonia

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:46 PM »

Just finished

Praise said, amongst others "...plot packed with twists ...". And boy, it is. You'd neither know nor guess even after 3/4rds how it finally plays out. Good vacation read - because you'd not want to put it down just because it's midnight and you have to rather sleep because of work the next day.

I've read this book and I really enjoyed its twists and turns. Hard to believe it was her debut novel. BTW: Catherine Steadman played Mabel Lane Fox in series Downton Abbey and she also narrated Something in The Water.
Another psychological thriller I enjoyed was ANONYMOUS GIRL by Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen.
https://www.amazon.com/An...&s=audible&sr=1-1
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: July 30, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

Thank you for these tips!! I just reserved some of the books at my local library Smiley
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: July 30, 2019, 01:35:13 PM »

The past weeks I was surprised by for me a new (European) Nordic writer, as I have read her books DNA and Vortex (both with main characters Huldar & Freya):

Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Sigur%C3%B0ard%C3%B3ttir

I have read EG MAN PIG from Yrsa, in the greek translation the title is "The Revenge". It was so strong, the atmosphere was absolutely evocative because it was dark but it wasn't forced. Her writting was flowing, there were no obstacles for the reader except from the fear, true, pure horror! The book slightly reminded me off the series Harper's Island.
I definitely want to read more from her.

The same feeling over here!
according to her Wikipedia she has some stand alone books and some series. I noticed my local library has most of the books of the other series beside the one I have read now, the ones with lawyer Thóra Gudmundsdóttir

onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: July 31, 2019, 01:34:00 AM »

The past weeks I was surprised by for me a new (European) Nordic writer, as I have read her books DNA and Vortex (both with main characters Huldar & Freya):

Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Sigur%C3%B0ard%C3%B3ttir

I have read EG MAN PIG from Yrsa, in the greek translation the title is "The Revenge". It was so strong, the atmosphere was absolutely evocative because it was dark but it wasn't forced. Her writting was flowing, there were no obstacles for the reader except from the fear, true, pure horror! The book slightly reminded me off the series Harper's Island.
I definitely want to read more from her.

The same feeling over here!
according to her Wikipedia she has some stand alone books and some series. I noticed my local library has most of the books of the other series beside the one I have read now, the ones with lawyer Thóra Gudmundsdóttir

I'not sure that her books with Thora have been translated to greek, but the other series has many fans!
I noticed that her writting is darker than the swedish crime novels writters. I cannot explain it wih details but it's just an impression I have.

jolene

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: August 01, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »

Just finished "Spellbound by Beauty" https://www.amazon.com/Sp...ading-ebook/dp/B001J2DAWS

When running I'm listening to "The Reason: How Discovered A Life Worth Living" by Lacey Sturm (née Mosley and former singer of Flyleaf).

https://www.amazon.com/Re...iving-ebook/dp/B00KDN886C
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »

Last week I stumbled on a rather interesting royal view book in Dutch.

Constand Wassink - De Republiek wordt uitgeroepen  (= The Republic is proclaimed)

What would the consequences have been if Queen Wilhelmina had died in 1902? Through the sidelines, there were various throne pretenders in Germany who were entitled to the Dutch throne. Would a king then have come to the throne who meant the best for our country and people? The Grand Duke of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach comes to the throne as King Willem IV. After a good start, he appears to have forgotten his German background and drags the Netherlands along in the First World War. He is deposed and the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands is proclaimed.

I have read a view parts of the book, some came across as rather 'dry' matter. But it still kept me curious. The writer mixed real persons with fantasy. Among others Willem IV marries Thyra of Denmark, who becomes relatively popular in the Netherlands (through her foundations to help people).

At the time I couldn't borrow the book from the library (already reached my amount of allowed books). But I have put it on my TBR list.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: August 12, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »

Just finished

Praise said, amongst others "...plot packed with twists ...". And boy, it is. You'd neither know nor guess even after 3/4rds how it finally plays out. Good vacation read - because you'd not want to put it down just because it's midnight and you have to rather sleep because of work the next day.

I've read this book and I really enjoyed its twists and turns. Hard to believe it was her debut novel. BTW: Catherine Steadman played Mabel Lane Fox in series Downton Abbey and she also narrated Something in The Water.
Another psychological thriller I enjoyed was ANONYMOUS GIRL by Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen.

The past week I have read both books (the Dutch translations) and really enjoyed them!  Thank you both for the great advice!!  Thumb up Star
Eve

Medium Member

Estonia Estonia

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: August 12, 2019, 12:29:59 PM »

Just finished

The past week I have read both books (the Dutch translations) and really enjoyed them!  Thank you both for the great advice!!  Thumb up Star

Glad you enjoyed them  Smiley
Both authors have new books scheduled for 2020  Thumb up

I just finished OBSESSION FALLS by Christina Dodd. Wow, I really liked the heroine and how inventive and strong she was when facing all the troubles and mesmerising but diabolic villain.   Definitely recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Ob...&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »

Christina Dodd…..I got to know her through the Historical Romance Novels which were translated and published in the Netherlands (in Dutch ofcourse). Which by the way I liked most of the time.

In general I read almost every genre, very broad. But I guess most of the time  you can see a common thread in my reading behavior.

>> 10 years ago I started recording which books I have read and when (in small booklets). It is often fun to look back and see clear periods of preferred genres, sometimes weird and unexpected books and so on.
Eve

Medium Member

Estonia Estonia

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: August 12, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »

Haven't read Christina Dodd's historicals. Have to check them out. Dodd's recent books are all contemporary romantic suspense and series - Virtue Falls and Cape Charade. Really-really enjoy her heroines.

I think authors also get tired of what they write and jump from e.g Romance to Thrillers or Paranormal or something else. I guess it also depends what's in vogue at the time. E.g  unreliable and unlikeable protagonists seem to be very popular right now.

I use Goodreads to keep track of my books. Its also good chance to keep track on new upcoming books from the authors I enjoy.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:54 AM »

This week I am reading the interesting book "Germania" by Simon Winder. Other books in the same series: "Danubia" & "Lotharingia" are already waiting (at home) to be read next.

The view of a Brit, with interest in these regions……..

Lord G¡n

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »

I've just read Domingo Villar's  "El último barco" (The Last Boat) in Spanish. His first books "Death on a Galician Shore" and "Water Blue Eyes" have been translated into English and one of them into German too. The police inspector is Leo Caldas.  Thumb up
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: September 11, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »

I've just read Domingo Villar's  "El último barco" (The Last Boat) in Spanish. His first books "Death on a Galician Shore" and "Water Blue Eyes" have been translated into English and one of them into German too. The police inspector is Leo Caldas.  Thumb up

MMmmm I guess some extra to my large TBR pile Wink Smiley
evilgrapefruit

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: September 11, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »

I'm reading 'Why Mermaids Sing' which is the third in the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries by C S Harris:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Its a murder mystery series set in the UK in the Regency period and our sleuth is Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: September 11, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »

Danubia and was so informative. Quite a bit about the Hapsburgs. 
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: