Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 197236 times)
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: September 15, 2019, 12:49:17 AM »

Actually reading a book about legends in islamic culture,the similarity with th rest of old civilisations in that matter is amazing...

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: October 29, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »

Currently I am reading (in high speed) through the following Dutch book (which had been on my TBR pile for a while):

Constand Wassink - De republiek wordt uitgeroepen (= The republic is proclaimed)

It as fictional book about a royal 'What ifÖ?'

What if young Queen Wilhelmina would have died in 1902, without surviving children. Who would succeed to the Dutch throne, in the book the answer is Prince Wilhelm Karl Bernhard Hermann of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach (who via his mother Princess Sophie is a grandson of King Willem II). He becomes King of the Netherlands and marries Princess Thyra of Denmark. Together they will have a couple of children. But in the end their reign is brought to an end and the Netherlands are proclaimed a republic. The book is mainly written from the view of prime minister and other members of parliament.
Chandrasekhi

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: February 02, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

I feel like a complete Philistine  Blush Blush Blush : I had Robert J Sawyer's book "Triggers" on my bookshelf for ages and finally slowed down long enough to read it. It contains an idea so huge, I am still reeling from it.  Shocked Shocked Shocked . The blurb suggests just another espionage/scifi thriller. It is so much more.

Blurb:
https://www.sfwriter.com/extr.htm

About Sawyer:
https://www.singularitywe...h-and-wonder-book-review/
"Robert J. Sawyer ó called ďthe dean of Canadian science fictionĒ by The Ottawa Citizen and ďjust about the best science-fiction writer out there these daysĒ by The Denver Rocky Mountain News ó is one of only eight writers in history (and the only Canadian) to win all three of the science-fiction fieldís top honors for best novel of the year."

In the author's own words:
https://www.patreon.com/robertjsawyer

"Hi there! My name's Rob, and Iím a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning science-fiction writer. Iíve had a great run in this field: 23 novels published in twenty languages, plus the ABC TV series FlashForward was based on my novel of the same name, and I got to write the scripts for the two-part series finale of the popular web series Star Trek Continues. But a while ago, I started saying in interviews that I was throwing in the towel and giving up writing novels.

Iíve been truly moved and my heart has been warmed by all the people who have asked me not to do that. So, here I am, back at work on novel #24, with the working title of Tube Alloys, a big, meaty book that Iím very excited about......

But I havenít sought a publishing contract for this new novel. Why? Well, although the big-five New York publishers are all reporting record profits, itís just about the worst itís ever been economically for traditionally published authors like me. Unable to squeeze more money out of Amazon, publishers are squeezing their authors instead."
[/b]

The waste of international resources by Jeff drawing the UN into a hacking scandal over his "lust-life" while Amazon squeezes authors has moved me to become a patron, in my tiny way, of transformative ideas that shape human consciousness, through Sawyer.
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: February 03, 2020, 01:18:48 AM »

I feel like a complete Philistine  Blush Blush Blush : I had Robert J Sawyer's book "Triggers" on my bookshelf for ages and finally slowed down long enough to read it. It contains an idea so huge, I am still reeling from it.  Shocked Shocked Shocked . The blurb suggests just another espionage/scifi thriller. It is so much more.

Blurb:
https://www.sfwriter.com/extr.htm

About Sawyer:
https://www.singularitywe...h-and-wonder-book-review/
"Robert J. Sawyer ó called ďthe dean of Canadian science fictionĒ by The Ottawa Citizen and ďjust about the best science-fiction writer out there these daysĒ by The Denver Rocky Mountain News ó is one of only eight writers in history (and the only Canadian) to win all three of the science-fiction fieldís top honors for best novel of the year."

In the author's own words:
https://www.patreon.com/robertjsawyer

"Hi there! My name's Rob, and Iím a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning science-fiction writer. Iíve had a great run in this field: 23 novels published in twenty languages, plus the ABC TV series FlashForward was based on my novel of the same name, and I got to write the scripts for the two-part series finale of the popular web series Star Trek Continues. But a while ago, I started saying in interviews that I was throwing in the towel and giving up writing novels.

Iíve been truly moved and my heart has been warmed by all the people who have asked me not to do that. So, here I am, back at work on novel #24, with the working title of Tube Alloys, a big, meaty book that Iím very excited about......

But I havenít sought a publishing contract for this new novel. Why? Well, although the big-five New York publishers are all reporting record profits, itís just about the worst itís ever been economically for traditionally published authors like me. Unable to squeeze more money out of Amazon, publishers are squeezing their authors instead."
[/b]

The waste of international resources by Jeff drawing the UN into a hacking scandal over his "lust-life" while Amazon squeezes authors has moved me to become a patron, in my tiny way, of transformative ideas that shape human consciousness, through Sawyer.

Yes, itís hard enough making a living as an author without having agents, managers, Amazon and your publisher all taking a cut.

Pretty soon everyone will probably self publish, which will make it tough on those of us who appreciate a well edited book.
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: February 03, 2020, 02:06:06 AM »

I'm reading Victoria's Daughters by Jerrold Packard. Must have read every book every published about the dear old queen ;-) and I still like her, in spite of her egocentricism and grumpiness.

I haven't finished it yet but I have developed a theory! Female authors like Vicky, the Princess Royal, for her intelligence and inability, to put this intelligence to good use. Male authors prefer Alice with her ability to empathize and her loyalty. Packard is clearly an Alician, I have been a Vickyte since I was twelve years old.

Yeah, don't take me too seriously.... but I might have discovered something here!

The book so far is good, by the way, although I hoped to find out more about the younger daughters, too. Especially "poor dear Lenchen" hasn't had much attention until now. I hope there's more about her coming up in the rest of the book.

It's fascinating and very sad to read how devoted Alice was to her brother Bertie. They were close as children and all their lives, and she would have been horrified to know that decades later, Bertie's son would leave her daughter and family to die. Because that's what his decision NOT to come to the help of the Tsar family really meant.

Great reading. You really appreciate the freedom royal girls and also sons have nowadays. Compared to the pressure of Victoria's times, today's situation is so much better, more human.

I'm always happy when reading about Victoria, her court, her children, grandchildren and all the rest.
Gemsheal

Micro Member

United States United States

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:23 AM »

Carreen, I have a feeling you would really enjoy ASK SIR JAMES by Michaela Reid.  It's a biography of Sir James Reid who was Queen Victoria's last personal physician.  Very revealing; lots of great tidbits about QV and her family, and the people who served her, particularly the Munshi.  It also contains the most informative and moving description of Queen Victoria's slow decline and death I've ever read (because it's taken directly from Sir James's own memoranda).    It's very affordable on Amazon. 

🤓
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: February 03, 2020, 08:14:32 AM »

Oh yes! I once saw in one of the Victoria documentaries an interview with Reid's descendants - must have been Michaela Reid! Thank you, I'm off to look for the book! Made my day!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: February 10, 2020, 08:43:33 PM »

A sweet memory. I always thought it was my mother who stimulated me to read. Resulting me in being a very avid reader. Recently an aunt who married into the family recalled how I and my siblings were at the time she came into the family. She remembers me as a little girl, sitting on my fathers lap and being read by my dad. My aunt told me as it being a very sweet moment.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: