Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Alexandra - back to work and fighting fit?  (Read 47654 times)
identitycrisis

Warned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »

Princess Marina is not widely known to most Britons today. She's been dead for decades, and the majority of the British public cannot name the currently living minor royals. They certainly wouldn't be able to name one who has been gone since the late 1960s.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »

Reviving this ancient thread as there have recently been rumours that the 82 year old Princess Alexandra might be retiring from royal duties. The palace have denied it. Last year she did a mere 67 engagements which is very disappointing considering she's almost two decades over the state retirement age and has suffered several bouts of ill health. Pull your finger out, Alex O!

Anyway, here's a photo of the lazybones by Cecil Beaton

Here's her massively underrated, dreamy, elegant wedding dress

And here she is holding a koala while wearing a tiara (a challenging look which few non-aristocrats can pull off successfully)

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »

Certainly by the time Charles is king the working Kentís should be pensioned out.  Nothing would (or should) change is terms of house and/or standard of living but it would be one way to visibly slim down the working group.  The Gloucesterís could keep work through the transition (Richard is a heavy hitter numbers wise) and see how their health goes. 

Iím not saying she should give up everything...keep a handful of charities but just take it easy. 
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »

Natural thinning will occur through attrition, there is no need to sideline anyone. Everything happens in good time.

I have the greatest respect for Princess Alexandra. She has always been a real workhorse for the Firm. She certainly has some downsides to her personality just like we all do. But, on the whole, she has been a very great asset for the family and deserves to live out her waning days in peace and comfort.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »

If royal work is actually work, then the Kents and Gloucesters should have retired by now. But then the younger generation would have to step up and that still doesn't seem to be happening.

Still, I do like Alexandra and her elegant Edwardian badassery.

Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »

Another Alexandra fan here!

Good to see you again FC  Hug

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »

And here she is holding a koala while wearing a tiara (a challenging look which few non-aristocrats can pull off successfully)

If one is going to be hugging koalas, one really should be wearing a ball gown and a tiara when one does it.  It just looks so right!   Jumping

I've always liked Alexandra.  She is beautiful and the epitome of royal charm and elegance, IMO.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »

Another Alexandra fan here!

Good to see you again FC  Hug

Nice to see you too!

Star

Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »

If royal work is actually work, then the Kents and Gloucesters should have retired by now. But then the younger generation would have to step up and that still doesn't seem to be happening.

Thinking about it, if you pensioned off every working royal above UK retirement age, you would be left with Prince Andrew, Sophie and Edward, William, Kate, Harry and Meg.

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »

Thinking about it, if you pensioned off every working royal above UK retirement age, you would be left with Prince Andrew, Sophie and Edward, William, Kate, Harry and Meg.

Not terribly appealing, is it? :/

Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »

And Eugenie and Beatrice!  Yeah, not much to inspire, eh?
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »

It's very clear that the BRF does not do any strategic planning...which kills me.  But considering the ill health Alexandra (and Edward) have suffered the last several years, their age 80+, and Charles's desire to "slim down" the monarchy it simply behoves the BRF to think ahead.  Alexandra (and Edward) have been damn lucky to recover so well every time they face illness or injury but such a good recovery is never a sure thing especially at their age.  Whether they retire tomorrow or a decade from now the overall BRF strategic plan should allow them to do so.  AFAIK Philip is the first member to retire of his own free will (not do to very ill health).  QEQM was still carrying out engagements at 100, Princess Alice at 98, while this is great it shouldn't be the standard or expectation. 

You have the 2nd in line saying he can't do more because he's grandparent do to much (2016?)...basically the youngest generation is forcing the oldest to keep working.  William and Harry could each easily carry out 300+ engagements a year (with 400+ being the goal by 2026) and Kate and Meghan could easily do half that (for that stay at home mom time).  If the foursome buckled down the Kent's numbers could be easily absorbed.

Now of course I don't know what the Kent's want but am worried that despite their ill health no one has thought this through...hopefully I'm wrong.
fruela

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »

The young royals want to have the best of both worlds. "It is my wish to lead an ordinary life with my family,respect my choice, but please remember: I'm no ordinary citizen." Meanwhile, the Princess Royal and other "minor" royals have been doing their duty unassumingly, and have renounced certain privileges for themselves and their offspring. They all  may not "work" stricto sensu, but they are always there when needed. Even after being snubbed and vilified.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:01:55 PM by fruela » Logged
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »

It's very clear that the BRF does not do any strategic planning...which kills me.  But considering the ill health Alexandra (and Edward) have suffered the last several years, their age 80+, and Charles's desire to "slim down" the monarchy it simply behoves the BRF to think ahead.  Alexandra (and Edward) have been damn lucky to recover so well every time they face illness or injury but such a good recovery is never a sure thing especially at their age.  Whether they retire tomorrow or a decade from now the overall BRF strategic plan should allow them to do so.  AFAIK Philip is the first member to retire of his own free will (not do to very ill health).  QEQM was still carrying out engagements at 100, Princess Alice at 98, while this is great it shouldn't be the standard or expectation.  

You have the 2nd in line saying he can't do more because he's grandparent do to much (2016?)...basically the youngest generation is forcing the oldest to keep working.  William and Harry could each easily carry out 300+ engagements a year (with 400+ being the goal by 2026) and Kate and Meghan could easily do half that (for that stay at home mom time).  If the foursome buckled down the Kent's numbers could be easily absorbed.

Now of course I don't know what the Kent's want but am worried that despite their ill health no one has thought this through...hopefully I'm wrong.

Star For you, Oh_Caroline

It's also important to talk about engagements and patronages. Alexandra did 68 engagements last year but is patron of more than 100 charities. They are still struggling to divy up the DoE's patronages and start passing on some of the queen's. How will they deal with the hundreds that sit under the Kents and the Gloucesters. If indeed, they do. If they decide to strip it back to the young royals' core interests, then you face hundreds of charities losing any royal patronage at very short notice.

Now there is an argument about the benefit of royal patronage to charities, but it does imbue them with credibility in the eyes of fundraisers and can help raise their profile. Also, one of the unspoken justifications for the BRF is that they are essentially very wealthy charity workers. They turn up, cut a ribbon, unveil a plaque, and in return get their rent paid.

The younger royals seem to prefer a more 'Blue Peter' style engagement where they throw wellies, make cakes, go rowing, watch galas, pt ogs. This is all lovely but is much more about promoting themselves and their personal interests rather than the more traditional quiet toil in support of local good causes.

The next few years could see a massive change in the relationship between the royals and the charitable sector...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:04:34 PM by Future Crayon » Logged

Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »

^^^ If they keep on the current trajectory, I reckon they'll all be out of a job within 20 years, if they make it that long.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: