Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 364   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting news you might want to share with us.  (Read 1286478 times)
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »

I think this guy spends too much time in Hollywood or NY.  I didn't know kids were sent to the spa.  I certainly wasn't.  But I do have to say, in beauty pageants, the American girls (actually most of the girls from the other countries) are more beautiful (outwardly) than the British.  But I respect how in British movies and tv shows, there is a spectrum of actors from all ages, sizes, and beauty.  It seems in America all we see are skinny young bimbos.  But I don't think this dude is that accurate.

Are British women fat and unkempt? This American man says so
http://www.dailymail.co.u...01296&in_page_id=1770
With all due respect to Americans, I would never call American women, as whole, stylish or beautiful. I think this guy has spent way too much time in New York and LA and forgotten the massive amount of country in between!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as generally speaking I never find American beauty queens attractive, they're usually blonde, Barbie-doll types.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »

Not being british, who am I to argue with this guy?
However I have  my doubts that he has ever been to any Walmart or K-Mart in the Midwest, where  "the midwests farmers daughter makes you feel alright": this natural flower does indeed spend a fortune on personal beauty, artificial nails with french or airblow design as well as some kind of mini perm and bleach being her all time  favorite. She would not leave the house without two beauty requisites: shocking pink shiny lipstick and hairspray.
Having joked about that, I have to say, that there are women AND MEN from all over and from all walks of life that seem to let themselves go at a certain age, meaning: they do not exercise to stay slim, fit and healthy, they do not care for dressing and not much for some hygienic issues, like unwanted hairgrowth (nose, ears and underarm) or they sport terrible looking nails...
However for every Bridget Jones there is the male equivalent with receding hairline, beerbelly and the odd leather or knitted tie....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »

Captain Kidd Ship Found LiveScience Staff

LiveScience.com
2 hours, 1 minute ago

The wreckage of a pirate ship abandoned by Captain Kidd in the 17th century has been found by divers in shallow waters off the Dominican Republic, a research team claims.

The underwater archaeology team, from Indiana University, says they have found the remains of Quedagh Merchant, actively sought by treasure hunters for years.

Charles Beeker of IU said his team has been licensed to study the wreckage and convert the site into an underwater preserve for the public.

It is remarkable that the wreck has remained undiscovered all these years given its location, just 70 feet off the coast of Catalina Island in the Dominican Republic in less than 10 feet of seawater.

"I've been on literally thousands of shipwrecks in my career," Beeker said. "This is one of the first sites I've been on where I haven't seen any looting. We've got a shipwreck in crystal clear, pristine water that's amazingly untouched. We want to keep it that way, so we made the announcement now to ensure the site's protection from looters."

The find is valuable because of what it could reveal about William Kidd and piracy in the Caribbean, said John Foster, California's state underwater archaeologist, who is participating in the research.

Historians differ on whether Kidd was actually a pirate or a privateer — someone who captured pirates. After his conviction of piracy and murder charges in a sensational London trial, he was left to hang over the River Thames for two years.

Historians write that Kidd captured the Quedagh Merchant, loaded with valuable satins and silks, gold, silver and other East Indian merchandise, but left the ship in the Caribbean as he sailed to New York on a less conspicuous sloop to clear his name of the criminal charges.

IU Anthropologist Geoffrey Conrad said the men Kidd entrusted with his ship reportedly looted it and then set it ablaze and adrift down the Rio Dulce. Conrad said the location of the wreckage and the formation and size of the canons, which had been used as ballast, are consistent with historical records of the ship. They also found pieces of several anchors under the cannons.

"All the evidence that we find underwater is consistent with what we know from historical documentation, which is extensive," Conrad said. "Through rigorous archeological investigations, we will conclusively prove that this is the Capt. Kidd shipwreck."

The IU team examined the shipwreck at the request of the Dominican Republic's Oficina Nacional De Patrimonio Cultural Subacuático.

"The site was initially discovered by a local prominent resident of Casa De Campo, who recognized the significance of the numerous cannons and requested the site be properly investigated," said ONPCS Technical Director Francis Soto. "So, I contacted IU."

RLB

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »

I think this guy spends too much time in Hollywood or NY.  I didn't know kids were sent to the spa.  I certainly wasn't.  But I do have to say, in beauty pageants, the American girls (actually most of the girls from the other countries) are more beautiful (outwardly) than the British.  But I respect how in British movies and tv shows, there is a spectrum of actors from all ages, sizes, and beauty.  It seems in America all we see are skinny young bimbos.  But I don't think this dude is that accurate.

Are British women fat and unkempt? This American man says so
http://www.dailymail.co.u...01296&in_page_id=1770

Does this guy realize that the US has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world?  I don't think that what he sees in Hollywood or NY on a regular basis is representative of the entire nation.  Same thing in Britain-a few fat women over there doesn't mean everyone there is like that.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 12:53:06 AM »

Actually to be fair, obesity is a growing problemm here, I believe we're the fattest in Europe. However, imo Londoners tend to be much slimmer especially those based in Central London or those who are based in Zones 1,2 or 3 on the Tube. So if this guy spends most of his time in London I find it very hard to believe he's seeing overweight women everywhere!

He's single btw......

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 12:55:06 AM »

Police in southern India are hunting for two men who attacked a Hindu holy man, cut off his right leg and then made off with it.

The 80-year-old holy man, Yanadi Kondaiah, claimed to have healing powers in the leg.

He is now recovering from his ordeal in hospital in the city of Tirupati in the state of Andhra Pradesh.

Local people believed they could be healed of spiritual and physical problems if they touched his leg.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/h...ld/south_asia/7142920.stm

RLB

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »

Don't smoke weed, kids; dad might sell your Christmas gift for a whole lot of money!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...o1EhmdB5_uxs5gHj8GIIuQE4F
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »

New Miss Belgium gets Flemish tongues wagging  

BRUSSELS (AFP) - Belgium's political tensions entered the glamour stakes after it was revealed that the new Miss Belgium does not speak Dutch.

Alizee Poulicek, who comes from the country's French-speaking region, was booed by some of the 4,000 audience when she admitted that she could not understand a question put to her in Dutch at the contest on Saturday night in the main Flemish city of Antwerp.

Poulicek, a 20-year-old language student, speaks French, Czech and English, but Flemish tabloid daily Het Laatste Niuews headlined its Monday edition with: "Miss Belgium does not speak Dutch".

The paper underlined that the "community crisis in our country" -- where there is no government six months after general elections amid bickering between leaders of the main French and Flemish parties -- "has insinuated itself into even the lightest sector."

Poulicek's victory "is not going down well," the daily said.

She said she had been taking Dutch lessons before the contest and has pledged to improve her standard in one of Belgium's three official languages, along with French and German.

The incident did not hurt her image with television viewers who voted for her, but Flemish journalists assailed her with questions at a press conference, highlighting her deficiencies in their tongue.

The Flemish community accounts for 60 percent of Belgium's 10.5 million people. A further 3.5 million live in Wallonia and one million in the largely Francophone, but officially bilingual Brussels.
Macaw
Banned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »

Actually to be fair, obesity is a growing problemm here, I believe we're the fattest in Europe. However, imo Londoners tend to be much slimmer especially those based in Central London or those who are based in Zones 1,2 or 3 on the Tube. So if this guy spends most of his time in London I find it very hard to believe he's seeing overweight women everywhere!

He's single btw......

And, according to the latest installment - the thing just keeps snowballing : "never going to get laid in the UK again".  His name BTW is Tad and his photo is now on the website (which has earne dhim even more abuse.)

http://women.timesonline....beauty/article3056296.ece
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »

I saw that yesterday! I'm not surprised he's had trouble with the ladies, he's hardly an oil painting himself!

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »

A Hull man has used the same Christmas tree each year since 1933.

Former police officer Peter Saxby’s father bought the tree when Peter was a baby, reports The Sun. Peter, 74, said he was just two months old when his labourer dad paid two weeks’ wages for the 2ft-high tree.

And he has decorated it every year with the same baubles which are now classed as antiques. The grandfather said: “The tree was the pride of my dad’s life. All the neighbours came to gaze - it was something to cherish.” ananova
http://www.dailytimes.com...18\story_18-12-2007_pg9_7

Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »

What to name a child? In Italy, a court can decide

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian court has ruled that a couple could not name their son "Friday" and ordered that he instead be called Gregory after the saint whose feast day he was born on.

"I think it is ridiculous they even opened a case about it," the family's lawyer, Paola Rossi, told Reuters by telephone from the northern city of Genoa on Tuesday.

Friday/Gregory Germano was born in Genoa 15 months ago. The parents registered him as Friday in the city hall and a priest even baptised him as Friday -- unusual in Italy since many priests insist that first names be of Christian origin.

"We named him Friday because we like the sound of the name. Even if it would have been a girl, we would have named her Friday," the boy's mother, Mara Germano, told Reuters.

When the boy was about five months old, a city hall clerk brought the odd name to the attention of a tribunal, which informed the couple of an administrative norm which bars parents from giving "ridiculous or shameful" first names to children.

The tribunal said it was protecting the child from being the butt of jokes and added that it believed the name would hinder him from developing "serene interpersonal relationships".

The Germano family appealed but lost their case this month and the story was carried on the front page of a national newspaper on Tuesday.

When ordered to change the name, the parents refused and the court ruled the boy would be legally registered as Gregory because he was born on that saint's feast day.

"I really doubt this would have happened to the child of parents who are rich and famous," the boy's mother told Reuters, recalling that some famous Italians had given their children unorthodox names such as "Ocean" or "Chanel".

The appeals court ruled against Friday because it recalled the servile savage in Daniel Defoe's novel Robinson Crusoe and because superstitious Italians consider Friday an unlucky day.

"I am livid about this," the boy's mother said. "A court should not waste its time with things like this when there is so much more to worry about."

"My son was born Friday, baptised Friday, will call himself Friday, we will call him Friday but when he gets older he will have to sign his name Gregory," she said.
RLB

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 05:45:05 AM »

A Hull man has used the same Christmas tree each year since 1933.

Former police officer Peter Saxby’s father bought the tree when Peter was a baby, reports The Sun. Peter, 74, said he was just two months old when his labourer dad paid two weeks’ wages for the 2ft-high tree.

And he has decorated it every year with the same baubles which are now classed as antiques. The grandfather said: “The tree was the pride of my dad’s life. All the neighbours came to gaze - it was something to cherish.” ananova
http://www.dailytimes.com...18\story_18-12-2007_pg9_7

Is is a real tree, or an artificial one?  I wish there was a pic to go with the article.
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317490,00.html

Maryland Man Becomes King of the Isle of Man

David Howe aka King David of the Isle of Man
A Maryland man who claims to be the king of the Isle of Man hopes to visit his subjects next year — but he may find there's no welcome mat.

David Howe, 38, of Frederick, Md., was crowned King David of Mann on March 30 in a stateside coronation ceremony after filing a claim with the British government.

Howe, a small businessman who married his high-school sweetheart, decided to assume the throne after a U.K. genealogist contacted him in 2006 to say he might have a right to the crown.

Howe filed a claim with Her Majesty's Stationary Office on Dec. 20, 2006, they published the claim in Queen Elizabeth II's paper of record, the London Gazette, and after no one objected, they sent him a crown, robe and anointing spoon for the ceremony, he said.

Howe said he "kind of expected the Queen to object to the claim obviously, but after 90 days, nobody had objected. Nobody had contested it."

That sentiment changed once the residents of the Isle of Man got wind of their new "sovereign."

"As far as the Isle of Man Government is concerned the Isle of Man’s sovereign is Her Majesty the Queen, as Lord of Mann," Tony Brown, the island's chief minister, has said. "I am not aware of any valid alternative claim to sovereignty over the Island."

Claiming the Crown The isle — in the Irish Sea between England and Scotland — has a population of about 80,000 and is best-known for an annual motorcycle race around the island.

Man's lieutenant governor, Sir Paul Kenneth Haddacks, who is the Queen's representative to the island, declined to comment for this story.

A King Drew blog, The King of the Isle of Man, popped up this month, slamming his claims and asking readers to rate Howe as a "dangerous nutter," "harmless nutter," "serious candidate" or just a man with a "Napoleon complex."

Howe visited London in October, but wasn't ready for the cold reception.

"It kind of blew up into something big," Howe said. "I'm certainly not challenging the Queen's authority or sovereignty over the island. I haven't amassed an army or anything like that to invade, so I'm certainly not a threat at all."

King David of Mann has made the royal decision to use his newfound title for charity. He set up a MySpace page and a Web site, royaltyofman.com, where he touts his personal cause, the Malawi Missions Project to help AIDS orphans in Africa. He said that money will be funneled to charities such as World Vision and UNICEF.

And now, through the Web site Nobility.co.uk, he's selling royal titles to benefit the cause. For about $180,000, one can become a duke or duchess. The cheapest title is a knighthood, all yours for just $40,000.

"I realize that we're kind of hitting a different person in a different type of income bracket with the titles," said Howe, who notes they haven't gotten any title takers. "But beyond that, I encourage anybody if they're really interested to sponsor a child through World Vision. For the cost of a latte a week, they could really change a child's life."

The nobility site stresses that because the titles will be bestowed in America, they do not violate the "1925 Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act" making it illegal to sell peerages.

Not much has changed day to day for King David of Mann, who lives in an unassuming home with his queen, a pistol-packing monarch named Pamela, and their princess, 5-year-old Grace.

"We're nobody special," he said.

His friends jokingly call him King Ralph, from the John Goodman movie of the same name, and he occasionally entertains their requests for an informal title, free of charge.

"They’ll rib me enough," Howe said. "And then I’ll say, 'OK, get down on your knees,' but nothing really formal like that."
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »

Wow would I be pleased if I was from that Isle Cool
Actually that reminds me of the guy who took hold of an old discharged oil platform and made it his kingdom. Must find the link....
Here we are:
http://www.google.com/sea...q=sealand&btnG=Search
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:48:14 PM by fairy » Logged

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 364   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: