Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 378   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting news you might want to share with us.  (Read 1361129 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5535 on: August 08, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »

Today August 8th is the Wedding Anniversary of my maternal grandparents. 

Happy Anniversary to them! Champagne
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5536 on: August 09, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »

Hi dishers!

In this post I would like to inform you what is going on in my country since last Tuesday.
I mentioned in the greek board about the fires being related with wind generators - the bill was voted 20 days before the fires started.

In this pic you see the island of Euboia. So, last Monday, August 2nd, we had the first fires as you can see in the 1st pic. In Tuesday, things were already a living hell and no authorities were to be seen. The next pic is what had hapenned until yesterday, August 8th, at noon. The fire is still burning everything, right now.
You can read an article with details here, in english: https://greekreporter.com...to-destroy-island-greece/

The firefighters were nowhere to be found, supposedly they focus on the other big fire in Attiki area (the one that threatened Tatoi palace) but they failed as well.
The plan was to send the residents away but nobody protected the houses. In Euboia this practice was even more intense, there were no planes until yesterday. Despite the help we recieve from other countries, still the residents saw ony 2 airplanes puring water etc every hour for 3-4 hours. That was all. We only saw some Israeli firfighters in a point in Euboia.
After people initially abandonded their villages and saw them burning on the TV, in the villages that followed, residents remain there and were trying for 2 nights in a row to protect whatever they could. Of course, being an agriculture society, living with the forest and from the forest, the source of their income is completely lost and gone.

Here are some pics:

This 81 years old lady, as she sees the fire eating her birthplace, reminding us Munch's Scream.

Mr Apostolis, trying to stop the fire - on his own. On his own. Some other villagers were on the other side, trying to do the same thing:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1424396579314806793

Here a 19 years old guy explaining they have not any other way to live and his generation has now live the village aand move to Athens to find a job, because the forest (and the olives and other agricultural things which I don't know in details) need 30-40 years to start giving back (ok, specifically for olive trees, they need a decade).
https://twitter.com/i/status/1424409851761934340

What is lost? Everything!
An olive tree, 2500 years old https://twitter.com/appan...tatus/1424275177018380290
The 70% of resin production in the country.
A huge amount of honey production
A huge, huge forest with rare black pines, wolves, deers, other varieties of trees, fauna and flora.
This is an unimaginable catastrophe for our ecosystem, our economy and our life in every aspect - and some of them will be found out years later.
I live in the centre of the island and we literally wonder when the rest of Euboia will be fully burnt? Would it be this year? Next year? I give it 2-3 years.

LittleThunder

Gigantic Member

France France

Forever my Queen.

Ignore
« Reply #5537 on: August 09, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »

Cry These fires are absolutely tragic and horrible. I hope the weather gets more favorable against the fires. My thoughts are with the brave firefighters and the people caught in the disaster.  Hug

anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5538 on: August 09, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »

Onar, that is horrific and devastating and Iím so sorry that is happening.  Hug
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5539 on: August 09, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »

Omg, Onar! 😱

Are you safe? This is your island?
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5540 on: August 09, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »

Omg, Onar! 😱

Thank you all!

Yes, I'm safe and I don't have any relatives in the area, as my family is not from Euboia but, yes, I do live close to the capital of the island.

It's devastating.

Earlier I saw in the tv firefighters from Serbia and Croatia fighting against revivals of the fire and finally 2 airplanes were sent (as other airplanes sent in other part of the country, also in fire).
I don't now why our own firefighters had orders to "help to evacuations not put the fire out" - as they repeatedly said to the residents who were asking for help.

anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5541 on: August 09, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »

That is so awful!!

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #5542 on: August 09, 2021, 10:11:05 PM »

Omg, Onar! 😱

Thank you all!

Yes, I'm safe and I don't have any relatives in the area, as my family is not from Euboia but, yes, I do live close to the capital of the island.

It's devastating.

Earlier I saw in the tv firefighters from Serbia and Croatia fighting against revivals of the fire and finally 2 airplanes were sent (as other airplanes sent in other part of the country, also in fire).
I don't now why our own firefighters had orders to "help to evacuations not put the fire out" - as they repeatedly said to the residents who were asking for help.

Onar,  this is unbelievable. I am so sorry!  Is there anything we can do to help? Lobby our governments / international agencies? I am glad you and your family are safe! The loss of more precious wildlife after the Australian fires and the floods in Europe breaks my heart.

Aubiette

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5543 on: August 09, 2021, 11:07:06 PM »

Oh Onar Iím glad you and yours are safe but Iím so sorry this is happening.
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5544 on: August 09, 2021, 11:46:24 PM »

Thank you all for your interest!
I'm not sure if anything else can be done, since other countries have already sent help.

I wrote here because I wanted people know what happened and what is still happening. Simple people decide to remain to their villages and they saved their houses on their own.
The same happened in Peloponnese, were the fires started after Euboia and people knew they had to stay and fight with whatever means they had.

anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5545 on: August 11, 2021, 12:54:23 AM »

Thank you all for your interest!
I'm not sure if anything else can be done, since other countries have already sent help.

I wrote here because I wanted people know what happened and what is still happening. Simple people decide to remain to their villages and they saved their houses on their own.
The same happened in Peloponnese, were the fires started after Euboia and people knew they had to stay and fight with whatever means they had.

I saw some homeowners on Evia hosing down their houses. I was very afraid for them.

Iím so sorry Greece is going through this.
anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5546 on: August 11, 2021, 03:55:06 AM »

I donít know if itís interesting but Iím a little excited. My boyfriend convinced me to get back together with him. Itís tough because pretty much nobody in my life likes him so itís hard not feeling supported but I think we can still be happy regardless 🙂

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5547 on: August 11, 2021, 04:08:39 AM »

I donít know if itís interesting but Iím a little excited. My boyfriend convinced me to get back together with him. Itís tough because pretty much nobody in my life likes him so itís hard not feeling supported but I think we can still be happy regardless 🙂

With the caveat that I know NOTHING about the dynamics of your relationship, please think very carefully and dispassionately about this because you have recently described him as toxic, and I'm sure that's not a word you use lightly.  Please listen to a few trusted friends/family and if nothing else, let them air their concerns so you can think about them one by one.  Maybe you'll make them feel better about your reunion, or maybe they'll make you reconsider this, but I urge you please to be wise and look out for yourself.  You deserve a healthy, healing, wonderful, drama-free relationship and I don't know that this is it? 

Again, just my two cents as an anonymous fellow Disher.  But please give yourself time to decide if this is what YOU want and if this is what's best for YOU.   Hug
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

ďAprŤs moi le dťlugeĒ

Ignore
« Reply #5548 on: August 11, 2021, 06:10:08 AM »

With the caveat that I know NOTHING about the dynamics of your relationship, please think very carefully and dispassionately about this because you have recently described him as toxic, and I'm sure that's not a word you use lightly.  Please listen to a few trusted friends/family and if nothing else, let them air their concerns so you can think about them one by one.  Maybe you'll make them feel better about your reunion, or maybe they'll make you reconsider this, but I urge you please to be wise and look out for yourself.  You deserve a healthy, healing, wonderful, drama-free relationship and I don't know that this is it? 

Again, just my two cents as an anonymous fellow Disher.  But please give yourself time to decide if this is what YOU want and if this is what's best for YOU.   Hug
While I feel as much as Cordelia here, be careful, whatever made you break up before in the first place will still be there, lurking in the dark, I made the mistake once in my first relationship to get back with my 1st boyfriend and turned to be a huge mistake, at first he played it nicely, he wanted me to relax, to forget, and to be there, it lasted 4 months and days, while the discussion in therapy took 2 years, and the everlasting results many more, take it slowly, I would not move in just yet.

This said, good luck and I hope you did the right choice.  Smiley
anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5549 on: August 11, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »

Itís definitely a hard decision. When you complain about someone itís because youíre frustrated. You donít normally go on and on about the good stuff so my friends have really only heard the bad stuff. Iíll have to work harder on telling some good things so hopefully they learn to like him a bit. He doesnít get along with my two best friends so itís hard to make time for everyone. Hopefully everyone can start over with a clean slate so I can actually still see my friends without upsetting him.

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 378   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: