Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting news you might want to share with us.  (Read 1710346 times)
Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Charisma Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #6270 on: April 08, 2024, 07:55:28 PM »

Currently set up in the back yard- cameras pointed skyward. I have my binocs for the totality, to not only see the corns but look for planets, and that comet that’s out there too.

I’ve a white piece of fabric on the ground for the lines you can see just before and after totality, my eclipse glasses, and am wearing my eclipse T-shirt with a psychedelic cat wearing eclipse glasses. Eclipse timer app on my phone is at the ready. First contact in 2 minutes.

It doesn't matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9-year-old was given $100. Anonymous
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6271 on: April 08, 2024, 07:57:15 PM »

Beautiful day!  already started here in N TX.   Champagne  Good viewing (don't forget your glasses) everyone

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
thecrownjewelthief

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6272 on: April 08, 2024, 08:01:27 PM »

Currently set up in the back yard- cameras pointed skyward. I have my binocs for the totality, to not only see the corns but look for planets, and that comet that’s out there too.

I’ve a white piece of fabric on the ground for the lines you can see just before and after totality, my eclipse glasses, and am wearing my eclipse T-shirt with a psychedelic cat wearing eclipse glasses. Eclipse timer app on my phone is at the ready. First contact in 2 minutes.

Sounds like a great setup - enjoy!
Eliza B

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6273 on: April 08, 2024, 09:15:20 PM »

Didn't know there was any religious stuff.  I'm out of loop lol.  I'll probably take a look via my camera once it's full. But this morning every news segment went back to the eclipse.  Just too much.

Edit.  And i was right.  I'm not in the direct line, but still at "full" for my area it was barely even the corner missing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:48:30 PM by Eliza B » Logged
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #6274 on: April 08, 2024, 11:49:56 PM »

I think I would find it quite exciting but with some of the religious responses I have seen to it straight up shocks me to the point where I would just want it over with if I lived in the US Blink Confused

There’s a lot of cultural belief around eclipses in Indigenous cultures world-wide. Interestingly, an atheist Western friend of mine witnessed the solar eclipse in Varanasi, India, in I think 2009. She was on the banks of the Ganges and says she thinks no one on Earth could have described it other than as a profound spiritual experience.

I witnessed one in Australia in 2002. The stillness and breath of wind I’ll never forget. As close to palpable religion as I’ve ever been, and no link to Christianity.
PruNordstrom

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6275 on: April 09, 2024, 05:44:28 AM »

Was a beautiful spring day, cloudless sky, temp 65F (18.3C), win SW 17 mph (27 kpm), the flowering trees beginning to bud. Trees are full of birds, squirrels out running around. Watched the eclipse indirectly (no glasses available). To watch the shift in daytime color cast and its effect on the animals was interesting. The birds went to ground looking in the direction of the sun (SW sky) and then turned completely around to face NE. Remained there for 15 minutes. Squirrels abandoned their trees and arranged themselves under bushes in a half crouch. And, it was very quiet, no usual bird spring chattering and chirping. It was the shadows of tree leaves that remained during the eclipse that caught my attention. Unusually dark, sharp edged shadows and the angle was 'off' because of the lack of direct light. Enjoyed this eclipse experience. It was the last one for this area for decades to come.
 Smiley and Sad 
Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

Charisma Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #6276 on: April 09, 2024, 09:52:01 AM »

It was incredible, from the first tiny slice off the sun to the end. Looking at the corona through the binoculars at totality was spectacular. White with red beading (Bailey's Beads) around the edge of the moon. Just amazing. The quality of light just before totality was otherworldly. We had 3 min 9 seconds of totality and it went by so fast.

Lovely, warm colorful dawn and dusk horizons too.

We had had some high hazy clouds but it didn't obstruct our view. The birds began to settle down a bit about a half hour in, and a flock of mixed blackbirds took off to roost a bit later. The birds never did quiet down totally and the local chicken flock's rooster crowed just before totality.

No peculiar behavior from our cat crew but I noticed they slept even more deeply than usual after supper.

The breeze died down as the sun was covered and then returned after totality, and there was a definite temperature fluctuation.

If we knew it was this great we would have traveled to see the one in 2017.

Totally glorious.

Hester, honey, I understand your point of view, but for Christians there is a definite link. Just sayin.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:18:56 AM by Lady Liebe » Logged

It doesn't matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9-year-old was given $100. Anonymous
loveofenglishtradition

Large Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #6277 on: April 09, 2024, 10:33:13 AM »

Thank you both PruN and LadyL. for your description of this rare event. Sounds spectacular and a bit eerie.
Interesting how the animals reacted.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #6278 on: April 09, 2024, 12:09:16 PM »

It was incredible, from the first tiny slice off the sun to the end. Looking at the corona through the binoculars at totality was spectacular. White with red beading (Bailey's Beads) around the edge of the moon. Just amazing. The quality of light just before totality was otherworldly. We had 3 min 9 seconds of totality and it went by so fast.

Lovely, warm colorful dawn and dusk horizons too.

We had had some high hazy clouds but it didn't obstruct our view. The birds began to settle down a bit about a half hour in, and a flock of mixed blackbirds took off to roost a bit later. The birds never did quiet down totally and the local chicken flock's rooster crowed just before totality.

No peculiar behavior from our cat crew but I noticed they slept even more deeply than usual after supper.

The breeze died down as the sun was covered and then returned after totality, and there was a definite temperature fluctuation.

If we knew it was this great we would have traveled to see the one in 2017.

Totally glorious.

Hester, honey, I understand your point of view, but for Christians there is a definite link. Just sayin.

Oh sorry, I  wasn’t clear. No Christian link for me. I am never disrespectful of ANYONE’s religious beliefs, I assure you! No need for “Honey”! 😹❤️

Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

Charisma Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #6279 on: April 09, 2024, 03:13:25 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Hester. I fully agree the it was a deeply spiritual event.   Hug

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #6280 on: May 08, 2024, 09:39:01 AM »

https://www.nu.nl/buitenl...och-buiten-te-houden.html

Loose translated as:

Australian museum comes up with new tactics to keep men out

By our news editors
May 7, 2024 at 8:09 PM
Update: 10 hours ago

An Australian museum has appealed against a judge's ruling that it must admit men to an exhibition about the exclusion of women. The artist of the exhibition has now devised a plan to keep men out.
This concerns the Ladies Lounge exhibition at the MONA museum on the Australian island of Tasmania. An Australian man previously sued the museum because he was not allowed to visit the exhibition. The exhibition is about the years of exclusion of women in society. Ladies Lounge is only accessible to women, because this group was excluded.

But according to the Australian man, the museum was guilty of discrimination. The judge ruled in favor of the man in early April. The museum was therefore instructed to open the Ladies Lounge to people who do not identify as women within 28 days. That period ended on Monday, meaning the exhibition is currently closed to the public.

On Tuesday it became clear that the museum has appealed against that ruling. According to the museum, there is a "too limited view of the historical and persistent social disadvantage of women" and how the Ladies Lounge can "promote equal opportunities".

The space will function as a ladies' room
The artist of the exhibition, Kirsha Kaechele, has also devised a plan to only allow women into the space. “There will be a fantastic restroom in the Ladies Lounge, which will allow the space to function as a ladies' restroom,” Kaechele said.

According to the artist, the space then complies with regulations to keep men out. "The toilet will be celebrated all over the world. It is the best toilet, and men should not see it."

The museum itself previously acknowledged that there was discrimination, but also said that the man experienced the exhibition exactly as it was intended.
CyrilSebastian

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #6281 on: May 15, 2024, 12:56:42 AM »

Wednesday May 15 is "Chocolate Chip Day".   
This week is "Take your Bicycle to work" week.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: