Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 305   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting news you might want to share with us.  (Read 989103 times)
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4350 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:09 PM »

I agree that it is sad. This poor little girl is being robbed of her childhood and unnecessarily put into adult situations. She’ll have enough time to be a grown up one day. I see so much of this behavior now and it’s concerning. Let kids be kids.
ohmyword

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #4351 on: January 13, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »

Bless her heart. At age 11 it was middle school, training bras, braces, beginners bands & goofy crushes. I hope someone finds the time for her before she becomes another Hollyweird statistic (knock on wood).   
Hopefully, she does what Quvenzhané Wallis did with her career and do something lighthearted for a change.

Stop Making Sense . . .
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4352 on: January 17, 2018, 05:38:24 AM »

Just when you think it will be a nice quiet evening in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario..
Possible meteor sighted across Michigan
There are reports that a fireball meteor was spotted in the Great Lakes region. There have also been reports of an explosion. Ingham County Officials say there is no indication that anything landed on the ground or caused any damage.
Video here:
http://www.wilx.com/conte...e-counties-469641293.html

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
onar

Big Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #4353 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:34 AM »

Avgi, a girl who lived in the area of Thessalia 9,000 years ago, had her face reconstructed by the dentist Dr Papagrigorakis Manolis. The event of the announcement took place on Friday (19/1) night, at the Acropolis' Museum. Here is the article in english.
https://news.nationalgeog...ge-facial-reconstruction/

Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Ruby for July

Ignore
« Reply #4354 on: January 20, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »

Thank you for sharing the news onar  Star

Being a bit of a history-lover  I absolutely love when modern techniques allow new discoveries like this !

onar

Big Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #4355 on: January 20, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »

Thank you for sharing the news onar  Star

Being a bit of a history-lover  I absolutely love when modern techniques allow new discoveries like this !
I remembered that case of the amateur photographer who helped on seeing with another perspective the work of Vermeer!

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4356 on: January 20, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

I love it too! So interesting and what's considered " masculine"  has my moved around over the years
ortensia

Warned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4357 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »

amazon go :have anyone already been there shopping for groceries?
and what do you think about it?

call me a luddist,but i'm a bit scared by it.

in italy there are lots of supermarkets (that's how we call them) where you don't have to queu to pay,you just zip every item's code with a sort of laser gun .all by yourself.
a prehistoric amazon go,if you want to give it a name.
this,imo,already had-as a consequence- the fact that almost all cashiers lost their job. i think it's scary when  a human is not needed anymore and what do we customers gainedit:5 minutes of queing spared?
 Nono
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4358 on: January 24, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »

And while the supermarkets save the costs for cashiers, they do add the additional costs that cheating and shoplifting brought with this new system.
So basically we end up paying a tad more to have less service and less people employed.
My sis is a big fan of shopping via internet. I think you need to be extremely organized, you would have to have a list of what you are going to cook and the needed ingredients ready. There is no selecting your own pineapple or avocado you might end up with either an overly ripe one or one that will be ready in two weeks. And there is no getting inspired by the produce available...
Well to each their own.
But I have to say, that with my parents becoming older and less mobile, the idea of having their things delivered is a relief. My Dad is somewhat losing his eyesight, making car trips to the supermarket quite unsafe, and there are no grocery stores in the neighbourhood any longer....very difficult.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lothwen

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4359 on: January 24, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »

amazon go :have anyone already been there shopping for groceries?
and what do you think about it?

call me a luddist,but i'm a bit scared by it.

in italy there are lots of supermarkets (that's how we call them) where you don't have to queu to pay,you just zip every item's code with a sort of laser gun .all by yourself.
a prehistoric amazon go,if you want to give it a name.
this,imo,already had-as a consequence- the fact that almost all cashiers lost their job. i think it's scary when  a human is not needed anymore and what do we customers gainedit:5 minutes of queing spared?
 Nono

If that, because you will enevitibly have the dunce who can't figure out how the machine works, so they hold up the line.

Switching gears now, but my son had his two month appointment yesterday.  He's 12.5 lbs, and 23.5 inches long  Banana
ortensia

Warned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4360 on: January 24, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »

Lothwen^^👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻

Fairy: Over here,if you are 65+ and you shop via Internet for a minimum of 40 euros,they will deliver your groceries at your house for free.
This is wonderful news for older people,but just to log in they need their children's help!😜

I guess this could be useful for me too re: buying water bottles,because I loathe lifting all those kgs of bottles every week! but I love shopping groceries and I like queuing and being tempted by strawberry chewingum,kit kats etc !🤓
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4361 on: January 24, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »

...So basically we end up paying a tad more to have less service and less people employed.

In my locale having a job as a cashier is an entry-level job for high school age kids. First job, learning how to act at work, interact with customers. Be a shame to lose that. It's also a part-time job for mothers, retirees, and college students.

...My sis is a big fan of shopping via internet.
Also very popular here during the past holiday shopping season. Unfortunately also very popular with thieves. Plenty of home security video on the nightly news of deliveries being stolen from porches, foyers, under the stairs. Some thieves stole the delivery and left an empty box in its place! In some instances, medicines were stolen leaving people without needed medications. (Some health plans require that meds be purchased with their plan and delivered.)

I predict an expansion of delivery reception services, places that receive and record deliveries that you have to pick up.
It will be called 'concierge service' to keep it upscale. Whistle

...And there is no getting inspired by the produce available...
Really! The luck of finding veg or fruit that is too special to pass up or finding a sale on a special ingredient that you don't usually buy.

the idea of having their things delivered is a relief.
It surely is. There are a few services like that here. We set up the service for a GF that just had a baby. She could order online, set up delivery time window, and even add things to the order last minute as long as the truck hadn't left the warehouse. Also set up a service for a neighbor who had surgery and couldn't get out and about for a couple months. She ordered the groceries and hubby cooked. (He likes to cook.)

You still have to dispose of the packaging and boxes. I guess that keeps the carton companies in business and employing people. Smiley

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4362 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:22 AM »

Here cashier jobs are usually low-paid jobs mostly for women who due to a lack of education have few chances on the employment market. We also see many immigrants, who again have problems on the open market.
Regarding the deliveries:
I do like online shopping (just not for groceries) and I often wonder what the delivery companies are thinking, when they announce that your package will be delivered tomorrow between 8.30 and 15.00. Yeah, why don't I take the day off and wait at home? So very fortunately for me, my next door neighbor is an elderly lady, who is almost always at home and who for the price of a few flower bouquets, Christmas cookies, and such is happy to receive my deliveries. (BTW, my Dad is the neighborhood's little post office himself...he actually enjoys the added contact to the neighbors, when they come, pick up their packages and chatter with him for a couple of minutes...)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Kaiserin

Huge Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4363 on: January 25, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »

I do not like this "serve youself"-attitude more and more shops and institutions impose on their customers.

First, the banks made us online-banking and printing our own accounts statements. For sure this allowed them to close a lot of bank offices, so when you nowadays need a (personal) service, you have to drive miles. You are lucky if at least they left an ATM machine where your bank branch office used to be ...

Next, all insurance companies and phone companies didn't bother any longer to send paper invoices, but foreced you to have an online-account where you receive PDFs. Needless to say that they send you an e-Mail before, but instead of attaching the PDF invoice there, such e-Mails only say "you have new documents in your inbox" - great! As if I would know all these accounts and passwords by heart ...

Then, yes, they made you scan your own groceries (first this was only one possibility, now there are shops where you have no other choice), making also this process less personal and a fight with malfunctioning technology, like the return machines for bottles and cases with refundable deposit, which use to always break while I am in the middle of my return process ... ("bottle not recognised - try again" anyone?).

And while I think that yes, for the elderly or when you are, as a single, ill at home, grocery home deliveries are great, the first group, who could sometimes really profit from the service, usually lacks the computer which is needed for the order, and the skills to use that computer, and, at least in Germany, also the credit card which is mandatorily needed for payment.

On the other hand, I buy 95% of my chloting and shoes online, because I simply hate to shop and try things on in claustrophobic changing rooms (this, on top, as I could do that only Saturdays, and why waste precious spare time for shopping hours?) - this works well if you stick to Brands where you may rely on the size and the quality; and I have that all sent to my office where we have a doorman 24/7 who is happy to handle my boxes against some sweets or a nice bottle of wine from time to time.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4364 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »

The banking system, don't remind me...My daughter will be going to Switzerland for a skiing trip. I was kind of wondering if I shouldn't just drive to Switzerland myself to change some currency. That or the airports are mainly your only choices. Imagine the main branch of my national bank here at the Landeshauptstadt has to order swiss francs in advance. They actually and very kindly offer to mail it by protected courier, but then I have to stay home to await this delivery (scheduled delivery is from thursday 8.00-to friday 12.00 -  they couldn't even limit this to one day) and pay a hefty fee, that almost equals the sum that I indent to give my teenager for her winter camp.
Ridiculous. If you call any company, you are connected to India, Australia's outback or Kashaksthan, that's great esp. considering you can get someone on the phone after the official office hours meaning at a time when you are at home doing your stuff - if having someone answer the phone is your main request. Before this however you navigate a maze of "listen carefully as our options have changed" Programmes, and music that was specifically composed to make you want to hang up and become deaf.
BTW, I had a fender bender a while ago and we had to call the Police. Imagine my stunned surprise, when a computer voice told us to " please hold the line, your call is important to us and will be answered shortly". Now we didn't have a terribly pressing matter, but this was the countries 911 call and I can't imagine what you would do, if you were reporting a life and death matter.
"Please press 1, if you are reporting a murder, press 2 for an armed burglary, if you're calling to report a grave injury, press the wound and if you are calling to report a shooting, please hang up and seek cover...." computer playing Legally Blonde soundtrack: on this perfect day nothing's standing in my way, on this perfect day-where nothing can go wrong...

Mary's life motto:
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 305   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: