Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting news you might want to share with us.  (Read 968358 times)
genegal43

Small Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #4395 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »

My cousins live in Florida (one in Sanford and the other in Cocoa Beach) and they've posted pictures of the end trails of the rocket.  It was cool to see!

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4396 on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:01 AM »

But this, the actually newsworthy thing...?

... Most of them either didn't get it or didn't believe it happened.  Huh? Especially the Tesla Roadster in space raised eyebrows. People thought it was CGI and not actually a car in space headed for Mars.

I gave up...

It's still not clear to me how the photo of the car and 'driver' were taken. Haven't found anything about how the photo was taken. Do you know?

I'm sure the rest of the galaxy will be impressed with Elon's used automobile and the never-been-alive spaceman in the driver's seat. Blink
Do you think he left his automobile registration and insurance card in glovebox? Wink

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
genegal43

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4397 on: February 09, 2018, 03:09:04 AM »

... Most of them either didn't get it or didn't believe it happened.  Huh? Especially the Tesla Roadster in space raised eyebrows. People thought it was CGI and not actually a car in space headed for Mars.

I gave up...

It's still not clear to me how the photo of the car and 'driver' were taken. Haven't found anything about how the photo was taken. Do you know?

I'm sure the rest of the galaxy will be impressed with Elon's used automobile and the never-been-alive spaceman in the driver's seat. Blink
Do you think he left his automobile registration and insurance card in glovebox? Wink

That will be heck of a speeding ticket!

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4398 on: February 09, 2018, 03:11:58 AM »

^ Never mind. My GF sent this link to me:

From Snopes.com
Is This Car Really in Space?
A series of images showing a Tesla Roadster looking down on earth from space are real.
TRUE

ORIGIN
If you were to ask us prior to 6 February 2018 if an image of an automobile in space was real, we’d reply, with almost no hesitation, that the photograph was likely a fake. But after that date? Well, there’s a chance that we’d be looking at an authentic image of Tesla Roadster.

Balance of the story here: www.snopes.com/tesla-car-really-space/

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4399 on: February 09, 2018, 04:01:43 AM »

No, people would rather talk about the Kardashians...  Crap I tried to explain the whole Falcon Heavy thing to my friends and why it's a huge thing. Most of them either didn't get it or didn't believe it happened.  Huh? Especially the Tesla Roadster in space raised eyebrows. People thought it was CGI and not actually a car in space headed for Mars.

I gave up...

The middle clip of the boosters landing in unison still amazes me. I’m not sure what to think of SpaceX tho and what the long term implications of a private sector company having this sort of power. I can see the benefits but I can also see it getting out of control and misused. Time will tell
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4400 on: February 09, 2018, 11:29:22 PM »

Did anyone else notice the change in page layout of the non-mobile version of Twitter today? Everything suddenly reverted back to previous layout.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4401 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »

I found this site while searching for information that would help me pronounce a given name that I had never seen before.
Shows spelling, origin and audio file for pronunciation.
If you need to know how to pronounce a name go here!

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4402 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »

https://news.nationalgeog...-museum-broken-thumb-spd/
During the Chinese Terracotta Warrior exhibition in Philly a man broke off a piece (a thumb) of a warrior statue and took it as a souvenir. Security camera identified the culprit and he was accommodating enough to admit to it (he had posted the thumb on Facebook) and return it. China now urges the US to severely punish the thief and vandal.
Honestly what on earth was this idiot thinking?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
genegal43

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #4403 on: February 21, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »

https://news.nationalgeog...-museum-broken-thumb-spd/
During the Chinese Terracotta Warrior exhibition in Philly a man broke off a piece (a thumb) of a warrior statue and took it as a souvenir. Security camera identified the culprit and he was accommodating enough to admit to it (he had posted the thumb on Facebook) and return it. China now urges the US to severely punish the thief and vandal.
Honestly what on earth was this idiot thinking?

He wasn't thinking.  Ranting  I wonder what China would consider as a severe punishment...

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #4404 on: February 24, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »

He should thanking his lucky stars he is in the US and he should make VERY sure never ever to touch ground in China. I bet, even though compared to Europe the US has quite severe punishments, what he will get in the US simply pales in comparison to China. In China, I doubt this guy would ever see his hand and the light of day again.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
onar

Big Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #4405 on: March 01, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »

Yesterday, February 28, french historian Pierre Milza died. He was known particularly about his studies on fascism.

https://bibliobs.nouvelob...pris-a-l-immigration.html

The Spy Who Loved You

Baby Member

Canada Canada

"Keeping the British end up, sir."

Ignore
« Reply #4406 on: March 14, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »

Bones discovered on a Pacific island belong to Amelia Earhart, a new forensic analysis claims

from the Washington Post

Amelia Earhart’s story is revolutionary: She was the first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean, and might have been the first to fly around the world had her plane not vanished over the Pacific Ocean in 1937.

After decades of mystery surrounding her disappearance, her story might come to a close.

A new scientific study claims that bones found in 1940 on the Pacific island of Nikumaroro belong to Earhart, despite a forensic analysis of the remains conducted in 1941 that linked the bones to a man. The bones, revisited in the study “Amelia Earhart and the Nikumaroro Bones” by University of Tennessee professor Richard L. Jantz, were discarded. For decades they have remained an enigma, as some have speculated that Earhart died a castaway on the island after her plane crashed.

The bones were uncovered by a British expedition exploring the island for settlement after the team came upon a human skull, according to the study. The expedition’s officer ordered a more thorough search of the area, which resulted in the discovery of several other bones and part of what appeared to be a woman’s shoe. Other items found included a box made to hold a Brandis Navy Surveying Sextant that had been manufactured around 1918 and a bottle of Benedictine, an herbal liqueur.

“There was suspicion at the time that the bones could be the remains of Amelia Earhart,” Jantz wrote in the study.

[ Amelia Earhart didn’t die in a plane crash, investigators say. This is their theory. ]

The 13 bones were shipped to Fiji and studied by D.W. Hoodless of the Central Medical School the following year. At the time, Jantz argued, forensic osteology — the study of bones — “was not yet a well-developed discipline,” and Hoodless’s methods of determining sex were “inadequate” compared to modern techniques. His assessment of the person’s sex, therefore, “cannot be assumed to be correct,” Jantz wrote.

In attempting to compare the lost bones with Earhart’s bones, Jantz co-developed a computer program that estimated sex and ancestry using skeletal measurements. The program, Fordisc, is commonly used by forensic anthropologists across the globe.

Jantz compared the lengths of the bones to Earhart’s measurements, using her height, weight, body build, limb lengths and proportions, based on photographs and information found on her pilot’s and driver’s licenses. His findings revealed that Earhart’s bones were “more similar to the Nikumaroro bones than 99 [percent] of individuals in a large reference sample.”

“In the case of the Nikumaroro bones, the only documented person to whom they may belong is Amelia Earhart,” Jantz wrote in the study.

Earhart’s disappearance has long captivated the public, and theories involving her landing on Nikumaroro have emerged in recent years. Retired journalist Mike Campbell, who wrote “Amelia Earhart: The Truth at Last,” has maintained with others that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, were captured in the Marshall Islands by the Japanese, who thought they were American spies. He believes they were tortured and died in custody.

But Ric Gillespie, director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), spoke to The Washington Post’s Cleve R. Wootson Jr. in 2016 about how he also believes the bones found on Nikumaroro belong to Earhart. An uninhabited coral atoll also known as Gardner Island, Nikumaroro is part of Kiribati, a former British possession in the central Pacific that used to be called the Gilbert Islands

More: https://www.washingtonpos...s/?utm_term=.47504f33dc87

“Here's to alcohol, the rose colored glasses of life.” 
— F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Beautiful and Damned
LucyintheSky

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4407 on: March 17, 2018, 06:21:54 AM »

https://apple.news/AhqmidQvkSeWOq62v70QRqg

Remember you are just an extra in everyone else's play. Franklin D. Roosevelt
http://stream1.gifsoup.co...imatedgifs3/4465009_o.gif
AddiesGirl
Banned
Banned
Big Member

"I am aware that you believe me insane" - Sisi

Ignore
« Reply #4408 on: March 25, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »

Still no baby (she was due on the March 20), my daughter is going into Mama Bear hibernation mode so I'm just leaving her to it. I have a couple days off work now to get things tied up before the new babe gets here, watch she'll come on my first day back to work
AddiesGirl
Banned
Banned
Big Member

"I am aware that you believe me insane" - Sisi

Ignore
« Reply #4409 on: March 26, 2018, 01:26:37 AM »

Just got the call, see everyone later! Supercontent
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: