Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Juliana - Ugly? Why the constant emphasis on her appearance?  (Read 9342 times)
Sparky

Big Member

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »

I've been reading articles which constantly claim Juliana was ugly, pig nosed, fat........ well just physically unflattering and had a hard time getting a husband because of that. From the photos that I can find, she looks perfectly fine to me. She's no great beauty but she isn't a downright balloon of a woman and ugly as some like to portray. Sure, she gained weight as she had kids and grew older but so have many other royal women.

http://www.independent.co...-netherlands-6172289.html  

In November 1934, she was a bridesmaid at Princess Marina's wedding to the Duke of Kent. Princess Eugénie of Greece was teased for having to walk behind Juliana. She recalled:

They said to me: "It's because you're so fat that they put you there." Well, Queen Juliana is very fat, you know. She's an awfully nice woman, but she's fat.

Ouch!  Shocked

Does anyone have any evidence for the downright fat and ugly claims or are the photos I can dig up manipulated or taken at a good angle? Or were the standards pretty high back then or maybe I perceive weight and attractiveness differently? It annoys me when a woman is mauled for not being thin and attractive enough yet a man can look like a huge hairy foot and still get away with it, as long as he is titled and wealthy.  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:31:36 AM by Sparky » Logged

Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:45 AM »

Beats me. I don't think she is ugly.
Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:25:39 AM »

She was no great beauty, no, but she looks like a nice person in these pictures (I don't know anything about her as a person). For me "ugliness" is something that comes from within and, fortunately, it's easy to come up with many people who may or may not be beauties when it comes to physical beauty ideals but are stunningly gorgeous regardless because of who they are.  Smiley

Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

Thumb up  Harley.

sleepyvalentina

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:28:33 AM »

She seems confident and real. That's what I notice more than anything.

Sparky

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »

Beats me. I don't think she is ugly.

She was no great beauty, no, but she looks like a nice person in these pictures (I don't know anything about her as a person). For me "ugliness" is something that comes from within and, fortunately, it's easy to come up with many people who may or may not be beauties when it comes to physical beauty ideals but are stunningly gorgeous regardless because of who they are.  Smiley

Good post Star 

Just a thought, maybe these fat and ugly claims were put out and exaggerated by the supporters or by Bernhard himself (her husband) - to justify his continuous cheating and acting like a downright cad towards her at times. You know the good old technique of smearing the wife and blaming her for the husband's infidelity and bad treatment, which was more common back then and society was more superficial, when being fat and ugly was a downright sin for a woman.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:39:09 AM by Sparky » Logged

tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »

I think she looked fine as well. She looks slim in today's term in those pics and her teeth looked curved as in a thumb sucker . Other than that she looked like a pretty average looking woman of the time. But most likely back then as now, average doesn't cut it in royal terms. Princess Mary the first people's princess and queen Mary's mother was called fat Mary . She was deemed unmarriable until Francis a poor relation stepped up. Yet she had more than one child so that shows that he acually liked her and her curves. A man will make up reasons to cheat, cheating isn't right , excuses doesn't make it right , but women fall for them century after century.
Fertiv
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:21:49 AM »

We are all guilty of emphasising looks against either personality, ability or performance.

If its fair game to spend hours complaining about someone's appearance being too thin or too plastic or badly dressed or whatever, it also fair game to critisise for fatness, uglyness or bad hair.

If you're going to dish be an equal opportunity disher thats what I say

Fertiv
Fat, ugly and lazy of london
Columbo

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »

Juliana looks like a cool, confident lady, and of normal attractiveness; certainly not ugly. I don't find her to be any worse-looking than her contemporary, QE the Queen Mother. And that Princess Eugenie of Greece sounds like a first-class b*tch.

Personally, I believe standards of beauty are a lot higher today than they were then, as we have many more "beautifying" options and procedures than our great-grandmothers did.

I read a bio once on one of Queen Victoria's daughters that contained this gem of a line: "She was considered a beauty by Royal standards, which admittedly were not very high  Laugh bounce  Laugh bounce  Laugh bounce
honeybunny

Muted
Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:31 AM »

I'm of the view that too many people think that a royal is supposed to be as flawless as a Hollywood starlet. Too many people are judgmental about looks, as if being unattractive makes a born (or by marriage) princess or prince unworthy of sitting on the throne as King or Queen.

It's not right that modern royals think that plastic surgery will suddenly make everything in their life all right again and make them worthy of their title. Queen Juliana had such guts (ordering her troops to shoot her to prevent her from being a hostage to the Nazis) and that alone proves her worthy.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »

Juliana inherited from Wilhemina what I would call a sturdy frame, but she wasn't fat, and certainly NOT by today's standards. Also, Juliana was an active athletic woman into old age. I feel like she was in much better shape than Fabiola, despite Fabiola being quite a bit smaller than Juliana. Don't forget that Juliana had four pregnancies and births. I've collected some pics:

And, the thing Juliana had in SPADES was her great personality.

As far as beauty, I think I just lean toward people with more character than classic beauty. I think Fabiola is very very pretty but many don't. Juliana not so much, but she seems like a fantastic woman. As Dorothy Parker said, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone".

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »

She seems confident and real. That's what I notice more than anything.
I agree.  From what I've read, her mother wouldn't even allow her to wear lipstick as a young unmarried woman, so I believe that compared to other young women at the time that she was considered "old fashioned." Apparently Bernhard encouraged her to check out newer fashions after they married. She had a university education in a time when it was still uncommon for women to attend college. Her personality was kind and caring. I think that she was dubbed the nation's social worker.
Badger

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »

I think Wilhelmina's quote was something like "The Princess will remain as God and I have made her." 
QueenEM

Large Member

Argentina Argentina

I'm SWexxy and I know it

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »

I don't think she was pretty (let's face it, she was a female Wax), but she seemed nice, caring and fun to be around and that's all that matter when it comes to a royal (more so on monarchs)
leatherface

Big Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »

The disparaging of Juliana's looks say more about those who are making the comments than they do about Juliana.

QJ by all accoubts was a wonderful, warm and intelligent person unlike say the Duchess of Windsor who I've heard nothing but bile about. Both were considered unattractive but we all know who everyone would have preferred to hang out with.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: