Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday diary  (Read 10459 times)
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 01:10:26 AM »

It will be difficult to maintain a holiday diary, given Waity and Wills' skills at being whisked through airports to bolt holes and chalets owned by close friends, but with the skiing season well underway, and Prince George weaned, perhaps is time to resume the diary.

Any pages torn from diaries and thrown in the waste paper basket, only to be found by Sloane Rangers working as chalet girls, will be welcome, as are postcards to the folks back home.

Sloane rangers are the equivalent to American yuppies correct?

Sloane rangers = American wasps
Celia

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »

Uh, I'd say Sloane Rangers are equivalent to Yuppies --not just WASPs.  Maybe you don't remember the Sloane Ranger Handbook coming out so soon after the Yuppie Handbook in the 80s?
Penny

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:17 PM »

“Duchess of Cambridge and baby George are back in UK from Mustique hol. Bet Wills is pleased!”
—    Emily Andrews
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:58 AM »

Uh, I'd say Sloane Rangers are equivalent to Yuppies --not just WASPs.  Maybe you don't remember the Sloane Ranger Handbook coming out so soon after the Yuppie Handbook in the 80s?

I grew up with sloanes. A Sloane and a yuppie are 2 different things though not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Sloanes are what we used to call hooray henrys or henriettas. Generally well brought up people from the home counties who wear pearls/tweed/and barbour. The film FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL is filled with sloaney types except for charlotte, Hugh Grant's flatmate.

Yuppies are people who've made loads of money very quickly (typically from the city when that term was coined), and are flash, brash with the cash.

Yuppies can come from any strata of society.

Sloanes come from one one part of society.

The Middletons are yuppies turned sloanes. Or they've made the effort to acquire the veneer of sloanes. I'm convinced Carole Middleton read that Sloane handbook and followed it as a personal manual for her life and for her kids. Uncle Gary touched upon this aspect of Carole.

Cressida and her family are sloanes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:46:51 AM by Herazeus » Logged
dawni

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »

Sloanes = old money.
Yuppies = new money.
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »

Not that there is anything wrong with yuppies.

If a yuppie is new money, then I fall into that category.  Happily and proudly so.  All my wealth was earned by me.  No trust funds from mummy or daddy.

You can call me TrollSpoon.
smf3000

Warned
Medium Member

Botswana Botswana

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 02:44:46 AM »

Not that there is anything wrong with yuppies.

If a yuppie is new money, then I fall into that category.  Happily and proudly so.  All my wealth was earned by me.  No trust funds from mummy or daddy.

WHAT?!  Yikes  And you call yourself worthy of a prince?! Nono  

Gurl, you'd better:

-brush up on your scrunchie collection. If you can open the door to your apartment, you have too few and Harry will not be returning your texts from dancing class.

-learn to drape yourself unattractively in scarfs. Beware, this is known to attract the snobbiest of red lobsters.  Secret

-have a serious look at your jeggings collection. I know they're tight, but are they tight enough... Thinking . For guidance, ask yourself the following, 'From Mars, can they see the personal spoon collection that I keep in my pants?'

But...earning your own money  Crap

*le sigh*

seriously spoonie, I expected better of you.  No
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:07:09 AM by smf3000, Reason: too risque » Logged
karta

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:13 AM »

I think that yuppies were "a thing" in the 80's and mid-90's and were inherently linked to the highly consumerist nature of those decades, whereas sloanes roam the land of UK to this very day.  
But anyway, I think what differentiates yuppies from sloanes is that yuppies became yuppies by entering a high paying profession and constantly aspiring to confirm their social status by keeping up with the the Joneses (think the business card scene in American Psycho)  and sloanes become sloanes by being born into upper class and upper-middle class and cultivating the lifestyle of those.
Both groups though had and have same P.L.U (people like us) mentality but where yuppies aspired, sloanes cultivate and that's the major difference between them.  

I say both groups were/are kinda funny and sometimes obnoxiuos. BTW Four Weddings and a Funeral was on TV yesterday and I finally watched it in its entirety (I've only caught funny priest/will you not marry me scenes before) and I confirm it's full of sloanes.

disc: I'm not an expert  I've never been to New York in the 80's /90's  and I've only met one upper class Brit in my lifetime. The entirety of my knowledge comes from books, articles and stuff like that
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

Speaking of films Karta; THE WOLF OF WALLSTREET is a perfect example of yuppies and yuppie excess. Uncle Gary exemplifies this too.
karta

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »

Thanks Herazeus, I completely forgot about Wolf of Wall Street. I need to go and see it at last. All I know about uncle Gary is that he used to do a bit of drug dealing on the side. I take it that he's in some high paying profession (other than that)?
Cenona
Banned
Banned
Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »

It seems KM is always going for a vacation good for her
Fingersmith

Mini Member

Constitutional expert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:27 AM »

Dear Diary

God I am so bored!!! Two weeks, half a bottle of suntan lotion gone, and STILL no pap helicopters flying around. What's the point???

W has spent half the time playing pool with dad, and the rest of the time either texting his friends or watching SKY TV.

Must close now, mum has been at the Tequila and we have to winch her in to bed.

Night Night, Katykins xx
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: