Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Juliana - Ugly? Why the constant emphasis on her appearance?  (Read 12086 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

She was no great beauty, no, but she looks like a nice person in these pictures (I don't know anything about her as a person). For me "ugliness" is something that comes from within and, fortunately, it's easy to come up with many people who may or may not be beauties when it comes to physical beauty ideals but are stunningly gorgeous regardless because of who they are.  Smiley

well said!!  Star
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »

What I have heard and noticed of Juliana she was a real person orientated. A warm personality who was really interested in her people/nation. That makes her beautiful to me.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »

She certainly wasn't a handsome woman and neither was her mother! Yet while I think that Wilhelmina was a difficult person, Juliana was a lot easier to deal with. However she was forever looking rather old. Look at the pictures of her with baby Beatrix and she looks positively old enough to be the granny. And her odd looks were emphasized by the dabber looks of her debonair husband.
The idea that it was her looks that made it difficult to find a husband for her are IMO! ridiculous.
First of all she was a heiress and a future queen, there must have been oddles of Bernhards (good looking, good breeding, no fortune and happy to overlook even a face looking more ass - and there are several pix of J. in her very years were she had a brief but very lovely window of looking rather cute and lovely!) and I can't imagine that there were no men back then that would not fall in love with a laughing and happy girl, even if she wasn't a beauty.
As to the idea that Nerdhards cheating was excusable since she was not a looker, tell that to Ms Trierweiler, she will be quite comforted!!

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »

I think the focus on her looks is nothing more than a symptom of sexism.  When was the last time we heard such focus on the looks of a king?  Personally, I think Juan-Carlos of Spain is one of the ugliest humans I've ever seen, but criticism of him is almost always focused on his actions.  His daughters, however, basically look like female versions of their father.  Before Cristina's BS, we used to see oodles of criticism heaped on them because of their looks.  It's a shame.  Juliana might not have been conventionally beautiful, but she seemed like she was a kind and intelligent person.  Give me that over a vapid fashion model-type any day.
Bunnyluv

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 05:10:20 AM »

Very interesting thread.

I agree about the media commenting on her looks or preconceive lack of looks.....and a man at either end of the spectrum can escape rude remarks.... sounds like  sexism to me.

i think the media obsessive image world is worst today than in Julianna time. Even today a lot of attractive princess get raked over the coals for not being perfect and we the people make our voices loud and clear on that subject.   Money talks and perfect images generate revenue.

Smiley
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »

I think the focus on her looks is nothing more than a symptom of sexism.  When was the last time we heard such focus on the looks of a king?  Personally, I think Juan-Carlos of Spain is one of the ugliest humans I've ever seen, but criticism of him is almost always focused on his actions.  His daughters, however, basically look like female versions of their father.  Before Cristina's BS, we used to see oodles of criticism heaped on them because of their looks.  It's a shame.  Juliana might not have been conventionally beautiful, but she seemed like she was a kind and intelligent person.  Give me that over a vapid fashion model-type any day.

Good post Star

BTW, supporters of Bernhard have no business calling anyone else unattractive. Whistle
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 03:24:04 AM »

Good post Star

BTW, supporters of Bernhard have no business calling anyone else unattractive. Whistle

WORD   Thumb up

Bernhard was an asshole who should have kept it zipped because without her he was nothing. His happy h
Hos wouldn't have touched him if he wasn't Juliana's husband.

Also if not being good looking was the only flaw I could have, I'd take it in a heart beat.

Queen Juliana was a good Queen, a good parent and a good person, how many monarchs can we say that about? This brand of sexism has no place in our assessment of this wonderful woman.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 05:58:54 AM »

What I have heard and noticed of Juliana she was a real person orientated. A warm personality who was really interested in her people/nation. That makes her beautiful to me.

I've noticed that the term 'handsome" never seems to be applied to women any more. Nor is "striking". Both words are really useful for valuing a woman's looks outside the stereotypes. Juliana was both handsome and striking!

Mary could have qualified as handsome and striking if she hadn't messed with her looks, trying to achieve an impossible girly ideal when she is anything but feminine.
Sparky

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »

I've noticed that the term 'handsome" never seems to be applied to women any more. Nor is "striking". Both words are really useful for valuing a woman's looks outside the stereotypes. Juliana was both handsome and striking!

Mary could have qualified as handsome and striking if she hadn't messed with her looks, trying to achieve an impossible girly ideal when she is anything but feminine.

Probably because female beauty is now defined as looking girly and very feminine as possible. The current attractive ideal is now very narrow compared to the past, which had a bigger range of what was considered attractive. The ever growing and more powerful fashion and modeling industries have played a big part in manipulating the perceptions of beauty. Plastic surgery and photoshop made it worse. Attractiveness and beauty is becoming more and more unrealistic and unnatural. IMO  Thinking Secret

Good thing Juliana wasn't born in our times, it was bad enough back in her day, nowadays she would be mauled and eaten alive by the media, celebrities and public.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »

It reminded me of the opinion(s) about princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, who is the mother of princess Mary of Teck (who became queen Mary of GB).

Here she is with her children:

Princess Mary Adelaide Wilhelmina Elizabeth of Cambridge (27 November 1833 27 October 1897), was a member of the British Royal Family, a granddaughter of George III and great-grandmother of Elizabeth II. She held the title of Duchess of Teck through marriage.
rs55

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »

What an interesting thread.  I think unfortunately, in recent years (last 50 or so) we have allowed the media to manipulate our definition of beauty - and bought into it way too often.  There does seem to be some backlash in recent years and we are seeing more "plus size models" (isn't that a joke when a size 10 is plus size!), etc. but we have a long way to go to portray women as normal.  All you have to do is look at England and Diana to see how the media loves the beauty and hates the beast (Camilla).  I never thought Camilla was unattractive - merely average - like most of the world.  However compared to Diana who had been made into the virginal beauty, none of us would have stacked up favorably. (I know, I know - there were issues here beyond the beauty issue but I'm trying to ignore those!)  In another comparison, Margaret was always considered the beauty of the family wasn't see - yet Elizabeth was very attractive as well - why did Margaret get the beauty sticker?  Totally different country, but how about Mary and Marie?  I think they look enough alike at times to be sisters - yet I find Mary very unattractive for some reason and Marie quite pretty - almost beautiful.  I'm sure it's their personalities coming through.  As I said before....a very interesting thread...
Columbo

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Hester  Star

I always liked the terms handsome and/or striking to describe the type of woman who, although not conventionally pretty, is very attractive and interesting to look at. And Juliana was definitely that, as is Mary.

Sadly, A few years back, I described a female friend of mine to an acquaintance as "handsome" and she had no idea what that meant, so I guess those terms have fallen out of favor  Crap
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: