Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 631   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William - news and photos  (Read 2034997 times)
Aubiette

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #9375 on: October 19, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »

Today The Duke of Cambridge has become Patron of two wildlife conservation charities, @FaunaFloraInt and @_BTO, handed to The Duke by The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/kensi.../1318114818331725826?s=21
SvenskaSarah

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9376 on: October 19, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »

These patronages make sense, given his position and his work over the years regarding wildlife conservation. I hope he continues the good work that he has been doing, particularly in terms of raising awareness about the threat towards wildlife.

I know it has already been discussed upthread so I don't want to begin it again, but I found it very telling (and promising) that when Kate's family order was made it was made with glass rather than ivory. I think W&K will be the royals to recognise and acknowledge how some of the 'treasures' of the BRF were truly acquired. I never thought I would be saying this, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the duo for the future.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9377 on: October 19, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »

Interesting fact...in 2018 the UK banned all forms of ivory by extending the international elephant ban (1970s for Asian elephants and 1989 for African elephants) to include hippos, walruses, and narwhals.

While I know that William feels very strongly about poaching I never believed that his beliefs were the sole reason for Kate's to be made from glass.  Certain the Queen would have respected the couples beliefs but as a new method was going to be needed in the not to distant future anyway and had Kate's been made out of hypothetically remaining ivory somewhere in a vault there would have been backlash...everything worked out and lead to the decision to use glass.

William won't be allowed by the government to apologize for anything as that's a political mind field but I do hope that he's progressed from the desire to destroy and thing with a checkered past* to a personally understanding of said checked past and a desire to do better for the future combined with an understanding that destroying historical items won't make a damn bit of different to current issues.

*Like anything in the palaces containing ivory (https://www.independent.c...ry-destroyed-9131140.html).  It's one of his few and far between "woke" moments.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9378 on: October 20, 2020, 01:03:02 AM »

A rather nice article on the passing down of the patronages, plus a photo from 1957 of Phillip in Antartica with some penguins. I never knew he had authored a birding book about his journey, Birds from Britannia. I knew of his interest in wildlife but not that he was a birder.  Thumb up

https://people.com/royals...-grandson-prince-william/

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
SvenskaSarah

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9379 on: October 20, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »

Interesting fact...in 2018 the UK banned all forms of ivory by extending the international elephant ban (1970s for Asian elephants and 1989 for African elephants) to include hippos, walruses, and narwhals.

While I know that William feels very strongly about poaching I never believed that his beliefs were the sole reason for Kate's to be made from glass.  Certain the Queen would have respected the couples beliefs but as a new method was going to be needed in the not to distant future anyway and had Kate's been made out of hypothetically remaining ivory somewhere in a vault there would have been backlash...everything worked out and lead to the decision to use glass.

William won't be allowed by the government to apologize for anything as that's a political mind field but I do hope that he's progressed from the desire to destroy and thing with a checkered past* to a personally understanding of said checked past and a desire to do better for the future combined with an understanding that destroying historical items won't make a damn bit of different to current issues.

*Like anything in the palaces containing ivory (https://www.independent.c...ry-destroyed-9131140.html).  It's one of his few and far between "woke" moments.

Ooh thank you for that info!! I was aware of his "woke" moment but not about the laws re banning all forms of ivory. I'll take back some of my optimism  Laugh bounce
ConnieBrooks

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #9380 on: October 20, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »

Ooh thank you for that info!! I was aware of his "woke" moment but not about the laws re banning all forms of ivory. I'll take back some of my optimism  Laugh bounce

To be fair, that was 6 years ago! He's gotten a lot smarter about a lot of things since then.  Thumb up
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #9381 on: October 21, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »

William at the Royal Marsden today.

https://www.dailymail.co....yal-Marsden-Hospital.html

he Duke of Cambridge made an emotional visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital today as he followed in Princess Diana's footsteps almost 40 years after her first solo engagement.

Prince William, 38, donned a medical face mask as he met with patients to hear how clinical trials have transformed their lives and learned of how the Covid-19 crisis had changed their experiences of receiving treatment.

The royal, who was appointed President of The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust in 2007, also laid the founding stone for the new Oak Cancer Centre at the hospital.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #9382 on: November 01, 2020, 11:34:40 PM »

Prince William had Covid-19 in April and kept it secret (from the nation, not his family or the doctors of course) because he didn't want to worry anyone. And he did 14 engagements while self isolating and having trouble breathing. And he only mentioned it now to convince people to take this new lockdown seriously.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/...liam-secret-covid-battle/

This was back when Boris Johnson and Prince Charles were both sick, Johnson far worse than Prince Charles of course. If word had gotten out that the man most regard as the monarchy's future was really sick, it probably would not have been good.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #9383 on: November 02, 2020, 12:31:24 AM »

I can see why they kept it quiet. If Charles and William had both announced they were positiive, there would have been panic. Especially as no one want the dumpster fires circling  back to be 'regents' for George.
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #9384 on: November 02, 2020, 12:43:44 AM »

Im glad hes okay.
Aubiette

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9385 on: November 02, 2020, 01:01:11 AM »

Richard Palmer on twitter whining about how no one can trust William or his advisors now.  Crazy
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9386 on: November 02, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »

I can see why they kept it quiet. If Charles and William had both announced they were positiive, there would have been panic. Especially as no one want the dumpster fires circling  back to be 'regents' for George.

I can understand why they chose to only announce that Charles had it. It was certainly not the time to add more uncertanty to an already fraught situation. It sounds as if his was not a light case, even though he was not hospitalized. I'm very glad he has recovered.

What a worrisome time for HM and Phillip, along with the rest of the family.

I would add that the course William chose to take is another example of his growth and maturity in his role and place in the BRF.

Well done.

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #9387 on: November 02, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »

Richard Palmer on twitter whining about how no one can trust William or his advisors now.  Crazy
Of course he is. Could you imagine how much fun the press would have had stirring up people's fear with the thought of a boy king? He must be so disappointed.
(Actually this convinces me that they have to update the regency law right away. Right now George's regent would be Harry or Andrew. They need to make it either Kate or Anne.)
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9388 on: November 02, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »

Of course he is. Could you imagine how much fun the press would have had stirring up people's fear with the thought of a boy king? He must be so disappointed.
(Actually this convinces me that they have to update the regency law right away. Right now George's regent would be Harry or Andrew. They need to make it either Kate or Anne.)

There's no need to update the regency law until the heir is a minor.  Had the very worst happened, both Charles and William dying from COVID, then parliament would have taken action fairly promptly.  Had the slightly less worse happened, only one dying, then it would have been a priority following the next accession.  Having the third in line being a minor, and the first two potential regents being unsuitable, is not a cause for concern.  As much as we, rightly, dislike Harry and Andrew either of them functioning as regent is still only hypothetical at best and hypothetical isn't a reason to get Parliament involved...they have far more important things to do right now.

I can see where Richard is coming from...the basis being that as William is an important/major public figure, major health concerns should be disclosed.  But...he was not hospitalized, he was isolating so not an infection risk to others, and disclosing would have lead to a excessive number of useless headlines that would only have made things worse.  So I do get it.  But I also get Richard's thing about ability to trust that William (and his advisors) will release personally information that has potentially serious consequences in an upfront and appropriate manner...he won't be able to do this sort of thing as either heir or sovereign.  Granted Richard is going a bit off the deep end...would have been better to wait a few days and use calmer wording.

Basically...Am I'm I thrilled with how this was handled?  Not really.  Do I understand why William and his team made the decisions they did?  Yes.  Do I agree with the decision?  I haven't decided but while I agree with the initial thought process I don't think they fully considered the potential ramifications of a lengthy delay.  Am I glad he's ok?  Of course and at the end of the day the fact that he's ok is all that matters.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:49:37 AM by Oh_Caroline » Logged
periwinkle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #9389 on: November 02, 2020, 01:53:36 AM »

I guess that is Richard's way of sending a message to William and his staff not a real invitation for us to question anything that comes from the palace. I mean that is silly. William and his advisors obviously made a value judgement and I think it was probably the best option since Charles was sick and everyone would be worried about the queen and Philip and of course the children. I think this means more than anything that we can actually trust the next two kings and if that doesn't further contrast him to his brother I don't know what does. Yes it is time for an emergency regent act that is a good point it can't be Harry or Andrew it has to be Anne or Kate and maybe Camilla if they think that wouldn't rock the boat much. I'm glad William is ok and trust that Kate and he would make sure he was isolated from the kids.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 631   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: