Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 273   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William and Kate: Australia and New Zealand Tour  (Read 647541 times)
Thomas
Administrator
Medium Member

Denmark Denmark

« on: March 22, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »

William and Kate: Australia and New Zealand Tour
honeybunny

Muted
Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »

They haven't even arrived and already it's liking to be a disaster:

*The comments in the DM about the tour are uniformly negative
*The entire schedule is one big holiday filled with posh events and appearances that haven't really been set up to promote good relations
*The Maori King has made it clear that they are not welcome and this is a set of PR that is already just plain bad in terms of omens
*NZ is contemplating changing the flag without the British flag on their national flag
*Press coverage might not be friendly since the Cambs have made it clear just how insane they are when it comes to getting photographed
*It's obvious they are going to be taking a 'break' at a posh resort during the time there, spending even more NZ tax money

I give it a few days and the coverage will be negative and will finalize the decision for NZ and Australia to break away and become independent.

just a serf

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:21 AM »

Cannot believe this, they've booked a holiday during the tour  Dead Dead Dead Dead

http://au.ibtimes.com/art...atakauri.htm#.Uy4ZGdzkjwK

the couple will be staying in the romantic vacation retreat place for one night without Prince George.

They have allegedly booked the entire lodge, which includes four suites and six villas, to protect their privacy. They are expected to occupy in the Owner’s Cottage, which would allow them to enjoy a private balcony and admire the lake and mountain views from a Jacuzzi.

"I haven't played since I stopped." - Waity Middleton
"You only have it if you've got it." - James, Marquis of Mallow
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:30:43 AM »

They are idiots and I cannot believe the Queen is going along with this BS Ranting

This trip isn't about how much fun they can have, it's supposed to a serious  trip to promote goodwill between the countries! Even I know this and I wasn't even raised to understand diplomacy!!!!!

And WTF DO THEY EVEN NEED A VACATION from, for Gods sake?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

They are so simpleminded and lame, I hope OZ and NZ take this opportunity (and all eyes are especially on them now,due to the planes search) to get rid of this ridiculous "arrangement" with this idiot country and idiot/outdated institution . It's really embarrassing to continue it, IMO (but nothing against OZ/NZ of,course) but I would love to see these fools be the "straw that broke the camels back!!!!!!!
Marie

Muted
Gigantic Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »

They are idiots and I cannot believe the Queen is going along with this BS Ranting

This trip isn't about how much fun they can have, it's supposed to a serious  trip to promote goodwill between the countries! Even I know this and I wasn't even raised to understand diplomacy!!!!!

And WTF DO THEY EVEN NEED A VACATION from, for Gods sake?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

They are so simpleminded and lame, I hope OZ and NZ take this opportunity (and all eyes are especially on them now,due to the planes search) to get rid of this ridiculous "arrangement" with this idiot country and idiot/outdated institution . It's really embarrassing to continue it, IMO (but nothing against OZ/NZ of,course) but I would love to see these fools be the "straw that broke the camels back!!!!!!!

Wow ! they are immature and spoiled rich brats ! They could remain longer, once their duties are over, and hide it to the media ! I can't believe how poorly educated and little followed by the DRF these 2 morons are ! After Diana'a calvary, they loosen up the rules too much ! But when you're educated, you don't play rich tourists in the middle of an official visit !  Grin

Je suis Charlie
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:36:12 AM »

Marie,
I had a major "rant breakdown" ,didn't I  Blush. Sorry.

I am just so irritated by these two and I swear, if I had to call them my sovereigns or whatever and I lived in Britian, Canada, OZ, NZ, Scotland etc, I could not take it !!!!!!
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:39:05 AM »

The monarchy may be outdated but I do not think Great Britain is an idiot country. JMO.
dawni

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 04:05:20 AM »

The monarchy may be outdated but I do not think Great Britain is an idiot country. JMO.
Thank you! No, we're certainly not an idiot country, and we have at present a head of state who is probably one of the best-known and respected heads of state in the whole world. We don't have the bother and expense of electing a new head of state every few years the way other countries do, something that gives a feeling of stability and permanence which I think most of us like.

BUT ... that's as it is now, we will have to see how things go in the future. For all his faults, I think Charles will be accepted and respected in the UK when his turn comes, chiefly because he's known to be a serious-minded man who works hard and who understands the traditions and duties of a monarch. William has so far shown himself to be lazy and arrogant, pleasure-loving and unconcerned with the traditions of the family into which he was born. Kate is no help here, she's as workshy as her husband (more so, really), and her idea of being a royal woman seems to be centred almost solely on her appearance, not on working hard for her country. Unless there's a massive change in the characters of these two, I see no point in continuing with the monarchy after Charles.

As for countries which still have the British monarch as their head of state, I really don't think this arrangement will continue much longer. The old ties are gradually being broken as a younger population in these countries asks why their head of state is a monarch who lives in a faraway country and who only visits once in a blue moon. Yes, people in these countries will turn out to see William and Kate, but that's probably more out of curiosity than anything else. I think there's genuine affection for the Queen in her faraway realms, but once she goes I think changes will come.
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »

Nicely put, Dawni!  Star

I married a pom.  He's a bogan but he's no idiot and neither is his lovely homeland.

Australians love the queen.  Even republicans think she should see out her reign.  If nothing else, the old girl has earned her right to rule.

As for monarchies in Australia, I think William has little to no allegiance to my nation.  I would prefer a head of state that loves and adores my country and will always act with my country's best interests at heart.  I'll be happy to see him go.

The outgoing Governor-General of Australia, Quentin Bryce, said a few months ago: 'Perhaps, my friends, one day, one young girl or boy may even grow up to be our nation's first head of state'.  I didn't approve of her using her position to make this statement but I like its sentiments.  My children are proud Australians, raised in its traditions of fairness, giving it a go, and always trying your best.  I'd much prefer an Australia to represent my country over an entitled prat.

You can call me TrollSpoon.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »

No, I didn't mean Britian is idiotic but giving money/land to stupid people who obviously care nothing about you ( W&K,  not HM)  for no gain seems wrong, IMO. And I don't believe the money from tourism blah blah.

Edit to say : I really didn't mean to say anyone's country is stupid (though I hear it about the US plenty) , just those two drive me insane and I really would not like it if they were considered sovereign to me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:17:43 AM by cordtx » Logged
Fertiv
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 06:27:40 AM »

Nicely put, Dawni!  Star

I married a pom.  He's a bogan but he's no idiot and neither is his lovely homeland.

Australians love the queen.  Even republicans think she should see out her reign.  If nothing else, the old girl has earned her right to rule.

As for monarchies in Australia, I think William has little to no allegiance to my nation.  I would prefer a head of state that loves and adores my country and will always act with my country's best interests at heart.  I'll be happy to see him go.

The outgoing Governor-General of Australia, Quentin Bryce, said a few months ago: 'Perhaps, my friends, one day, one young girl or boy may even grow up to be our nation's first head of state'.  I didn't approve of her using her position to make this statement but I like its sentiments.  My children are proud Australians, raised in its traditions of fairness, giving it a go, and always trying your best.  I'd much prefer an Australia to represent my country over an entitled prat.

I think you're right FtS and once the Queen is gone, I think another referendum will see you independent (though I hope remain in the commonwealth), I  remember a little bit at the last referendum, but  i thought one of the problems with it was that the republic outline as it was proposed wasn't that popular either, so the Queen kind of one by default rather than by love. still its gone and next time I'm sure the vote will go the otherway ... The Imperial ties that bound Australia have long since gone and your economic and social position in the world doesn't look to Britain anymore, it looks to asia and your nearer neighbours around the pacific. 
Not sure about NZ and how near to it they are, I think they are maybe more old fashioned in their outlook still but who knows?

It will be sad for us back in blighty when you final give us the finger, I fondly remember my mother telling me she always buys NZ butter to support the children of the empire (and also some lovely aussie Chardonay to support her) 
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

Official TeaSpoon of Royal Dish. Aka TrollSpoon.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »

Nicely put, Dawni!  Star

I married a pom.  He's a bogan but he's no idiot and neither is his lovely homeland.

Australians love the queen.  Even republicans think she should see out her reign.  If nothing else, the old girl has earned her right to rule.

As for monarchies in Australia, I think William has little to no allegiance to my nation.  I would prefer a head of state that loves and adores my country and will always act with my country's best interests at heart.  I'll be happy to see him go.

The outgoing Governor-General of Australia, Quentin Bryce, said a few months ago: 'Perhaps, my friends, one day, one young girl or boy may even grow up to be our nation's first head of state'.  I didn't approve of her using her position to make this statement but I like its sentiments.  My children are proud Australians, raised in its traditions of fairness, giving it a go, and always trying your best.  I'd much prefer an Australia to represent my country over an entitled prat.

I think you're right FtS and once the Queen is gone, I think another referendum will see you independent (though I hope remain in the commonwealth), I  remember a little bit at the last referendum, but  i thought one of the problems with it was that the republic outline as it was proposed wasn't that popular either, so the Queen kind of one by default rather than by love. still its gone and next time I'm sure the vote will go the otherway ... The Imperial ties that bound Australia have long since gone and your economic and social position in the world doesn't look to Britain anymore, it looks to asia and your nearer neighbours around the pacific.  
Not sure about NZ and how near to it they are, I think they are maybe more old fashioned in their outlook still but who knows?

It will be sad for us back in blighty when you final give us the finger, I fondly remember my mother telling me she always buys NZ butter to support the children of the empire (and also some lovely aussie Chardonay to support her)  

The problem with that referendum was that it was loaded in favour of keeping the monarchy.

The question that was asked was: 'To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament.'

The monarchist vote held strong.  The republican vote was split as some republicans want a popular appointment whereas others prefer a two-third majority.  The former voted no because the republican model was not to their liking.

The better question would have been 'To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President'.

There was controversy at the time that the question was loaded precisely to split the republican vote down the middle.  But it is what it is and, as good republicans, the defeat was accepted as the will of the people.

It was a shame.  But I think it will happen in my lifetime.  Once QEII passes, there is no logical reason to keep on.  Australian is an egalitarian nation.  The idea that our head of state not be an Australian is a curious thing.  I can't imagine the Brits accepting an Australian as a head of state.  It would not make sense.

You can call me TrollSpoon.
Fertiv
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »

Thanks for the info FtS,  one of the biggest problems with referendums is that the question is never as straight forward as it should be (there's been quite a bit of bickering over how the Scottish independence vote is going to be worded)

The question really should be as simple as do you want to be an australian president or a foreign monarch as your head of state...
The nitty gritty of how to choose a president can be worked out later surely...

I don't think an australian head of state would go down well in this country (xenophobia being one of our national sports here in the UK),  though many people will no doubt remind you that the Queen is german and Phil the greek is... well... greek.

I hope our nations will still be special friends in the future,  our pubs and bars would not function without our cheery antipodean helpers and i'm sure you couldn't cope without the influx of 20 year olds from britain doing whatever it is they do down their on their gap yahhhhs...

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »

They haven't even arrived and already it's liking to be a disaster:

*The comments in the DM about the tour are uniformly negative
*The entire schedule is one big holiday filled with posh events and appearances that haven't really been set up to promote good relations
*The Maori King has made it clear that they are not welcome and this is a set of PR that is already just plain bad in terms of omens
*NZ is contemplating changing the flag without the British flag on their national flag
*Press coverage might not be friendly since the Cambs have made it clear just how insane they are when it comes to getting photographed
*It's obvious they are going to be taking a 'break' at a posh resort during the time there, spending even more NZ tax money

I give it a few days and the coverage will be negative and will finalize the decision for NZ and Australia to break away and become independent.

Well I don't think it will be a disaster.
No way will any press really tell it like it is, so we will be fed the usual " Aussies show up in the thousands to welcome a lovely and fashionable Kate and her charming Prince Dianus" without saying that the crowd pictured was actually at a traffic jam unrelated to the visit.
The holiday in between will be portrayed as a tiny respite for the otherwise worked till exhaustion couple, that used the little getaway to spark their never-ending love (see the sparkle in her eyes... oi)
etc etc...
No, honeybunny, I wish I could support your idea, but I suspect PR will let them come out glorious.
(BTW, while I absolutely condemn their getaway luxury holiday... isn't it unfair for Loverboy and his doormat, that people envy him? After all a visit to Kenia (with the kids stored home with a nanny) saw QEII at the treetops hotel while her Daddy the king lie dying...and nobody bat an eye over that)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Fertiv
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »

No, honeybunny, I wish I could support your idea, but I suspect PR will let them come out glorious.
(BTW, while I absolutely condemn their getaway luxury holiday... isn't it unfair for Loverboy and his doormat, that people envy him? After all a visit to Kenia (with the kids stored home with a nanny) saw QEII at the treetops hotel while her Daddy the king lie dying...and nobody bat an eye over that)

Well, to be fair to HMQ, she was on (or about to start) an official tour of africa when she was at treetops, and the King's death wasn't expected (though he was ill).   
In those days, nobody expected royal parents to spend time with their children,  an hour before bed was sufficient parenting  , I think in those days kids just weren't considered as important as they are now (if you see what I mean). 
Apropos of not much, I've just been talking to my mother who is looking after my nephew who is a few weeks younger than George, whilst his parents have gone away for a couple of nights to celebrate their anniversary.... sounds kinda familiar no? 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 273   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: