Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William and Kate: Australia and New Zealand Tour  (Read 628835 times)
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #4080 on: September 13, 2015, 05:25:24 AM »

^^^Yes the areas visited did report an increase in bookings.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #4081 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:52 AM »

^^^Yes the areas visited did report an increase in bookings.

I mean, tbh, because I was following the tour I also looked into a potential trip to OZ  Secret Its never been high on my list of places to go for a variety of reasons. However, their trip did highlight some great vacationing!

Which, is precisely the issue. I do not think anything specific to government or culture was really done or promoted during this trip. Fun vacation? Yup! But, I am not sure if the tourist potential necessarily equals the cost. Harry's trip to NZ was very much about highlighting Native cultures and customs. I learned a lot from following his trip about the history of NZ and the really interesting conservation efforts going on.

I mean, the places the Kardashians visit also report increases in bookings. I do not think anyone wants them to be bastions of Americana  Thumb down So I am not sure how valuable the tourism argument is. OZ is a tourist destination regardless of the RF.

I thought their Canada tour was much more substantive and reflective of the cultures, history and customs of Canada. The same was true to some extent for their SEA tour. I felt OZ/NZ was one big vacation on the dime of the tax payer.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4082 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:21 AM »

So I am not sure how valuable the tourism argument is. OZ is a tourist destination regardless of the RF.

I acknowledge that tourism might increase after these visits; it makes sense that it would.   I would be very interested to see any stats that directly attribute increased tourism income to Royal visits, and how much.   

I would, however, prefer to see Australian tourism promotion dollar directed to supporting the advertising and marketing industry rather than providing all expenses paid holidays for the members of one privileged and wealthy English family. 
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4083 on: September 14, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »

Must admit that I was interested in the OzNZ trip to see where the govts wanted W&K to visit. The choices didn't change my mind. I have always wanted to go to NZ. The people, the culture, the climate and the terrain always seemed very interesting to me. When available travel time is a factor, I thought I would be able to see more of NZ in depth than I would see of Oz given the same amount of time. If time was no barrier, I would like to see both. But it is a long trip from my home so if I had to choose, NZ wins. As my world-traveler friend says, it's a country with more bang for the traveler's budget in that area of the world. And W&K's visit was superficial and did't tell me anything new that I hadn't already picked out for my bucket list trip. They didn't visit any of the areas that I want to see. Their visit didn't my travel wish list.
 Roll Eyes

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4084 on: September 14, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

Must admit that I was interested in the OzNZ trip to see where the govts wanted W&K to visit. The choices didn't change my mind. I have always wanted to go to NZ. The people, the culture, the climate and the terrain always seemed very interesting to me. When available travel time is a factor, I thought I would be able to see more of NZ in depth than I would see of Oz given the same amount of time. If time was no barrier, I would like to see both. But it is a long trip from my home so if I had to choose, NZ wins. As my world-traveler friend says, it's a country with more bang for the traveler's budget in that area of the world. And W&K's visit was superficial and did't tell me anything new that I hadn't already picked out for my bucket list trip. They didn't visit any of the areas that I want to see. Their visit didn't my travel wish list.
 Roll Eyes

I agree. There was nothing new or surprising if one of the reasons for that vacation trip was to attract more tourists. And they did some things that you can do at a lot of other locations in the world (yachting, wine tasting, speed boat ride). It truly was a very superficial tour.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: