Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Margaret of Connaught - later The Crown Princess of Sweden  (Read 19208 times)
Gemsheal

Mini Member

United States United States

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 04:10:51 AM »

Crown Princess Margareta with Princess Ingrid and Prince Bertil     
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/561683384746523478

Bertil was handsome boy and grew up to be a very handsome man, IMO.  I love his mischievous smile in this photo 😊

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 10:25:26 PM »

Crown Princess Margareta started a hockey club for women.One of the members was Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna, who was married to Margareta's brother-in-law, Prince Wilhelm.
lilyrose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »

I wish there was a good book about her but most books focus on the crowned descendants of Queen Victoria - there's always a lot of interest in the Hesse girls, Missy & Ducky and the obnoxious Kaiser and of course the Wales sons and daughters... I think Margaret/Margareta/Daisy was a lovely young woman and I'd love to have seen her as queen.  Such a tragedy, to die so young and leave young children behind.

Yes, I agree! I am listening to a wonderful podcast that right now is doing its' second season on the daughters and granddaughters of Queen Victoria. They chose to focus on Sophie, Maud, Alix, Ella, Missy's parts are going on now, and I think Ena is the fifth they're going to focus on. Basically Julia Gelardi's "Born to Rule" with Ella included. I kept trying to get the host to look into Margaret, or Victoria of Hesse, two women who weren't queens during the war, but played their own roles in supporting their families.

I wish they weren't just focusing on those five though, like you said, Margaret has always fascinated me and she is always one of the forgotten granddaughters because she was never able to become queen. Even poor Louise rarely gets a mention either.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 12:46:32 PM »

I wish there was a good book about her but most books focus on the crowned descendants of Queen Victoria - there's always a lot of interest in the Hesse girls, Missy & Ducky and the obnoxious Kaiser and of course the Wales sons and daughters... I think Margaret/Margareta/Daisy was a lovely young woman and I'd love to have seen her as queen.  Such a tragedy, to die so young and leave young children behind.

Yes, I agree! I am listening to a wonderful podcast that right now is doing its' second season on the daughters and granddaughters of Queen Victoria. They chose to focus on Sophie, Maud, Alix, Ella, Missy's parts are going on now, and I think Ena is the fifth they're going to focus on. Basically Julia Gelardi's "Born to Rule" with Ella included. I kept trying to get the host to look into Margaret, or Victoria of Hesse, two women who weren't queens during the war, but played their own roles in supporting their families.

I wish they weren't just focusing on those five though, like you said, Margaret has always fascinated me and she is always one of the forgotten granddaughters because she was never able to become queen. Even poor Louise rarely gets a mention either.

Oh, this podcast sounds interesting.  What is the name of the podcast?

Gemsheal

Mini Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 03:26:30 AM »

Nice tribute:

https://youtu.be/wRKtEr142AA

lilyrose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »

It's called The Other Half! Focuses on the lives of famous women in history. The first season was focused on the prominent wives and daughters of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, and now this one is the daughters and granddaughters of Victoria. It looks like the next season is going to be about national heroines like Boudica, Joan of Arc, Mulan and Rani of Jhansi.

There's also a show he had beforehand called Queens of England that covers English consorts from Matilda of Flanders to Mary of Modena.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »

It's called The Other Half! Focuses on the lives of famous women in history. The first season was focused on the prominent wives and daughters of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, and now this one is the daughters and granddaughters of Victoria. It looks like the next season is going to be about national heroines like Boudica, Joan of Arc, Mulan and Rani of Jhansi.

There's also a show he had beforehand called Queens of England that covers English consorts from Matilda of Flanders to Mary of Modena.

Found both and subscribed! I will be listening as I start working from home. 

Thank you again, lilyrose!  Beer Star

CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:32 PM »

Gemsheal, This is a magnificent tribute! I like the live footage near the end. The Crown Princess wore very stylish hats.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 11:20:19 PM »

Was Princess Margaret of Connaught considered as a possible bride for Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany?
Gemsheal

Mini Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 03:10:47 AM »

Fleetingly, perhaps, but I think Wilhlem II and Augusta Victoria would always have focused on German princesses for their sons.  AV in particular, as she was anglophobic.

CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

Fleetingly, perhaps, but I think Wilhlem II and Augusta Victoria would always have focused on German princesses for their sons.  AV in particular, as she was anglophobic.

Why was Empress Augusta Viktoria anglophobic?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »

Why was Empress Augusta Viktoria anglophobic?

Not sure, but I assume it had to do with Schleswig-Holstein. Alexandra the Princess of Wales wanted it with Denmark and influenced her husband, while for AV it belonged to Germany.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: