Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overall Favorite Royal Weddings  (Read 10132 times)
Cloudberry

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

I went through all three pages of topics and found it incredibly strange that we have no topic devoted to favorite royal weddings in general--weddings where for you everything comes together and makes a spectacle you want to watch over and over again. So why not make one? Since I made the topic I'll start. I apologize in advance for the sugar and the loooong post--I clearly couldn't pick one or five.

1. Wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling

My top three royal weddings captured the magic and fantasy that we all think of when we hear the words "royal wedding." For me, this was the most magical and beautiful of all. From the backstory of the couple to the bride's attire, the guests to the ceremony, the boat and carriage rides to the reception, this wedding completely blew me away. Absolutely everything was spectacular and perfect; I even don't mind the sappy pop song during the ceremony. We're not going to see another wedding like this for a long time and it's going to be hard to top this one.

2. Wedding of Diana Spencer and Prince Charles

When you think "royal wedding" this is probably what comes to mind. Everything came together and the bride herself was the sort that stepped out of fairytales. Diana stepping out of the carriage and climbing the steps of St Paul's Cathedral is an iconic image and despite the fate of the couple in question their wedding was truly epic.

3. Wedding of Alexandra Manley and Prince Joachim

I just discovered this one recently. Once again, the setting (that snow!!!), bridal attire, and everything combined to make a fantasy winter wedding. Once again, this couple divorced but their wedding was incredible. What's interesting to me is that you can really see how this wedding influenced the later wedding of Joachim's brother. I think this wedding pulled the concept off better though.

4. Wedding of Maxima Zorreguieta and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander

The rest of the weddings on my list don't quite have the same magic as my top three but are beautiful in their own ways. Not only was the ceremony itself and balcony appearance spectacular, but the playing of "Adios Nonino" is the only time I've cried watching a royal wedding.

5. Wedding of Mary Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik

This one is kind of controversial but I happened to love it despite the bitchiness of the bride. Mary's wedding dress is my all-time favorite ( Secret) and the music is great: there's no doubt the Danes can throw a great royal wedding.

6. Wedding of Autumn Kelly and Peter Phillips

I don't know what it is about this one. Maybe it's the fact that this was the first royal wedding since I started following royals, maybe because I love the color scheme of white and light green, maybe because it was covered in a magazine so you could get incredible access, or maybe because I'm an admitted sugar for the bride, but I'm really really fond of this wedding.

7. Wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William

I know, I know. These two got engaged when I was studying abroad in London and I had a lot of fun following the coverage and talking with normal Brits about their views (generally they didn't care, but wanted to talk about it anyway if just to say in detail why they didn't care  ). For the nostalgia and memories, as well as the beautiful footage of the bride walking down the aisle, this is on my list.

8. Wedding of Kathleen Walker and Archduke Imre

This is the best and most fun wedding for dishing I've ever seen (up until Sofia's wedding, of course). On a less bitchy note, the bride looked spectacular (except for the headband) and I've gone on record as thinking her wedding bouquet is the prettiest I've ever seen. Plus, I love the novelty of all those royals and fake royals in DC's Chinatown.

9 (tie). Wedding of Jetsun Pema and King Jigme etc.

Probably the most beautiful couple in recent memory, and I love the colors and traditions of Bhutanese weddings. Bhutan itself is a country I desperately want to visit (and have wanted to since before this wedding) and this wedding was perfect in showcasing the beauty, culture, and deep spirituality of the nation.

9 (tie). Charlene Wittstock and Prince Albert

The only reasons this wedding isn't higher is because of the applause as Charlene walked down the aisle and the use of a sappy Paul McCartney song as she entered the courtyard. This is the best Charlene's ever looked and the intrigue behind the wedding certainly made it interesting if not particularly joyful to watch.

11. Wedding of Silvia Sommerlath and King Carl Gustaf

This for me was kind of the precursor to a lot of the royal weddings on my list. The other weddings just did it so much better that they get a higher spot.

And two honorable mentions:

12. Wedding of Marie Cavallier and Prince Joachim

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Marie's dress is one of my all-time least favorite royal wedding dresses. I'm not a fan of the neckline and the dropped waist makes it look as though she's perpetually squatting to take a dump. However, this wedding perfectly reflected the couple getting married. It was a lovely European village wedding and Joachim's tears and hugs for his sons as soon as he saw his fiancee walking down the aisle were adorable.

13. Wedding of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

I love how they went for a Swedish country feel, and I don't mind Madeleine's dress. I like so many weddings more though that it only made it this far on my list.

Phew, that's a lot of weddings! So what do you all think? Victoria's wedding overrated? Want to tar and feather me for the inclusion of Mary and Fred? I'm incredibly interested to see your lists, so post away!
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »

http://www.history.com/ne...86192&linkId=19524057

History has proven that not every royal wedding is the stuff of fairytales. From Henry VIII's fourth marriage to the ill-fated nuptials of the last emperor of China, take a look back at 6 examples of marital woe.

quick interesting read

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »

Charles and Diana's wedding will always be special to me as it was my first royal wedding, as a starry eyed 10-year-old!

Both Victoria's and Madeleine's were beautiful as both brides were so happy and in love 

Wax and Max's was so beautiful and emotional, and I really felt for Max not having her parents there.

But for a truly beautiful royal couple you can't go past Margrethe and Henrik - she was beautiful (and besotted) and he was dashing and handsome!!!
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

http://orderofsplendor.bl...dding-gowns-10-queen.html
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:38:37 PM »

http://www.angelfire.com/...lm/fabiola1960/index.html

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »

My favorite royal weddings are:

1. Joachim and Alexandra: I love this wedding, even though I'm not wild about the bride and groom.  This wedding was beautiful.  I loved her gown and tiara.  I loved what Marge wore.  I loved the intimate feel of the wedding, even though it was a big wedding.  I love watching footage of this one; the cousins all seemed so close and happy back then.  It looked like this was a very fun event for them. 

2. Constantine and Anne-Marie: To me, this one was like something out of a dream.  A young bride moves to a new land where lavish events are thrown in her honor; the footage is incredible.  I loved all the glittering occasions that surrounded this wedding, and I loved the rose petals showering down on them in the church. 

3.  Victoria and Daniel:  This wedding was just outstanding.  Her dress was gorgeous.  They were so obviously in love with each other, and the people-watching was fantastic.  I loved the fact that we got eight or nine hours of footage, just like with Joachim and Alexandra's wedding.  I think the receptions are the most interesting part of a royal wedding, and this one didn't disappoint. 

Purely for the dishing aspect: 

I loved Katie and Imre's wedding with the awful stretch Hummer limo and the snotty toast from Carl-Christian.  I also enjoyed seeing the gigantic trash-fest that was Carl-Philip and Hoefia's wedding.  That wedding was like a big, gift wrapped present to dishers everywhere.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »

1. Victoria and Daniel for the sheer joy in her expressions and his wedding speech. One of the largest and happiest royal gatherings from the 2000's that saw many royal weddings. 

2. W-A and Maxima-The wedding that revived my interest in royalty. This was another wedding that was brimming with emotion.

3. Constantine and Ann Marie-My favorite of the weddings from the 1960's. The photos of the couple, attendants and their guests was a "who's who" from that era.

4. Favorite tacky wedding-Sorry pixie but Nicolas and Tatiana won this dubious prize for me.

DuchyDiva

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »

Charles and Diana's - for the fairytale that we all wanted it to be, the beauty of the bride, the gorgeous majesty of it all... everything was so perfect, the flowers, the music... for me, it's the royal wedding that every royal wedding since has wanted to beat and failed.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 06:29:36 AM »

I don't have a favorite royal wedding. I didn't watch enough of them. And to me, the most important part is the marriage AFTER the wedding, NOT the wedding. How many marriages listed above have failed publicly (divorce) or privately (marriage in name only)? Sorry for killing joy, I'm the pragmatic, not the romantic.  Wink
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51:41 AM »

My favourites are still:

Princess Anne and Mark Philips - she looked wonderful and he was the dashing young army officer

I also loved Andrew and Fergie's as they were so clearly in love.

None of the others come close to those two. No other wedding seemed to have a couple so in love as those two did on their wedding days - sad the way they ended up but on the day itself - they were so much in love and had so much in common.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »

Andrew and Fergie DID result seem in love. I know love can fade but we're they in love or just infatuation, in opinions?
DuchyDiva

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »

I think they both saw an opportunity for something in each other, I suspect that was as heady as any romantic infatuation.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »

Thanks duchydiva!  Star

My question came out a little garbled but thank you so much for answering. I guess they've hung together all these years, for whatever reason, so there must be something there.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »

*snip* How many marriages listed above have failed publicly (divorce) or privately (marriage in name only)? Sorry for killing joy, I'm the pragmatic, not the romantic.

That's why I love Fabiola and Baudouin's wedding because it was a beautiful wedding that began an even more beautiful marriage - a true love match. And their marriage got even closer with their great sorrow at the repeated failed pregnancies.

Great British Pathe video of the wedding:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLYizuTe9g

lothwen

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 09:37:52 PM »

I've only seen parts of 3 weddings,  but I have to say I loved Victoria and Dan's wedding,  just because it was so sweet

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: