Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invictus Games  (Read 116927 times)
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: May 16, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »

Britain?s Prince Harry, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, poses with players of the Netherlands men?s wheelchair basketball team after the award ceremony, on final day of the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida, May 12, 2016.

I feel soooooo embarrassed...

You know until this pic I thought the IG were pretty much about Commonwealth veterans   -   still them shirts ain't ORANGE sir!!
ANY Dutch 'national' sportsman is clad in the brighest of oranges, and would sport a Dutch flag/coat of arms, and these wonderful folks aren't doing either. So I looked up IG related to Dutch Armed Forces and it turns out we had 30 athletes competing in a variety of competitions, and these wonderful men and women brought back 18 medals (none of them in basketball though) !!!

Regardless of how one thinks about armed conflict/war and whether/how third parties should interfere (if at all), I am indeed proud of all participants (and the men and women who didn't go) and the determination they've show to make something of their lives after a lifechanging, armed force related event. Kudos to all of them.

Oh yeah, and that ginger guy, whose is he?

Even WAX mentioned the IG
Koninklijk Huis ‏@koninklijkhuis  15. Mai
?Welkom thuis Nederlandse deelnemers aan de Invictus Games! Met of zonder plak, allemaal winnaars. Nederland is trots!? - WA
  Wink

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Roll Eyes
HarryFan071

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: May 16, 2016, 11:41:50 PM »

Harry got a signed posted from the athletes Cute Cute

I just love the way he puts his hand over his heart, because he is so humbled and honored. SIGH. 

This made me cry. It's wonderful to see how much these service men and women truly appreciate everything Harry has done for them. He really is his mother's son, you can see it in his face in this picture. He's such a beautiful person inside and out and the BRF are very lucky to have him. 
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: May 17, 2016, 01:50:11 AM »

Doooooogs!!!
The Service Dogs Canine Freestyle Medley...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_PLfPqItvI

Look at the one that can barely swim but loves the water anyway.

(and also the one that took one look at the water and went "nope. not for me.")

Harry has truly made the games for everyone and their dogs.

it's not that he can barely swim, it's the soldier hanging on to the lead, that's dragging the dog down. When Harry helps him out of the water, you can see the leather lead and the metal chain that is around the dog's neck.

The doggie did an amazing job pulling this big guy through the water, not being so big him/herself  Snare

debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: May 17, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

Doooooogs!!!
The Service Dogs Canine Freestyle Medley...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_PLfPqItvI

Look at the one that can barely swim but loves the water anyway.

(and also the one that took one look at the water and went "nope. not for me.")

Harry has truly made the games for everyone and their dogs.

it's not that he can barely swim, it's the soldier hanging on to the lead, that's dragging the dog down. When Harry helps him out of the water, you can see the leather lead and the metal chain that is around the dog's neck.

The doggie did an amazing job pulling this big guy through the water, not being so big him/herself  Snare

Oh that's right! I missed that! (that's me, ultra unobservant  Blush )

Wow these dogs are really amazing!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »

IMO this is the best photo

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: May 18, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »

Quotes from http://abcnews.go.com/Ent...s-invictus-games-39069263

The "secret" (off the official schedule) dog swim race!
Most if not all the service dogs love a bit of a swim, so Harry thought that they deserve a lap or so in the pool. I'm sure they all love it.
Canada won! Accidentally symbolic of their turn to host the Invictus Games next year, with special attention to service animals.

Ulfat Al-Zwiri of Jordan (R) is seen getting support by a competitor during the Invictus Games Orlando 2016 Track & Field Finals at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex on May 10, 2016 in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

"She's quadriplegic, so it took her a long time to push herself to the finish line. And all the other teams waited at the finish line for her to cross it. But here's the interesting thing, we're so much advanced technologically, our prosthesis is so much better than the other countries, that a lot of the American and British athletes felt guilty for the advantage they had over the other athletes.

So heart warming!

Thank you for the story with the last set of pictures. I had seen the first picture before, and was wondering what happened. It seems the lady with the scarf was helped by the lady behind her.
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »

Official video of the Invictus Choir song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6pIYmHuBs
nationalanthem

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: July 14, 2016, 03:06:38 AM »

SGT Marks at the Espys
not a fan of the dress at all, and i wish she would have worn some jewelry. not even a wedding band. makes the dress look dowdy.
nationalanthem

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: July 14, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »

SGT Marks' acceptance speech:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/...accepts-pat-tillman-award

Her tone sounds as if she's sad but her words were all together hugely inspiring. I thought she'd mention Harry but she didn't. Just her father and others who serve, past and present.
Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Sudan Sudan

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: September 11, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »

There's talk of Invictus coming to Australia! Maybe in 2018?
MahiyaBorden

Mini Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: September 11, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »

Apparently both Sydney and Gold Coast want to host the IG 2018 edition.

And Harry said during the IG Orlando, he wanted to bring the Games back in UK for the 2019 edition.
Winnifred

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »

I dunno if this is, strictly speaking, Newsworthy, but Morgan Freeman appeared on Stephen Colbert's Late Show last week (29 September) wearing an Invictus cap. Colbert did ask about it, and Freeman explained what the event is (mentioned Prince Harry too), but the conversation moved on shortly after that.

So, truly, it was a small mention. But it made me smile, anyway.

Edit: I really tried, but I can't find a clearer photograph than this. The cap is the standard I AM logo black/yellow.

LauraMarie

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: October 03, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

I found this one.

LadyCate

Warned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: November 13, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »

wow - announcement Invictus Games in Sydney