Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George and Marina, the Duke & Duchess of Kent  (Read 23047 times)
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2021, 01:55:07 AM »

The Duke and Duchess of Kent with Prince Edward and Princess Alexandra   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/602778731379518411
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »

I always pity Marina, and her children about their financial situation after George died, because she was a royal widow, she couldn't ask for anything nor anybody moved to make sure she would still be part of the civil list, compare the Kent to the Gloucester and you would see how bad they fared vs that because of this. You could be royal and still not make ends meet.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2021, 05:24:18 PM »

I always pity Marina, and her children about their financial situation after George died, because she was a royal widow, she couldn't ask for anything nor anybody moved to make sure she would still be part of the civil list, compare the Kent to the Gloucester and you would see how bad they fared vs that because of this. You could be royal and still not make ends meet.

You mean her son didn’t support her when he inherited the dukedom?
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2021, 05:31:37 PM »

George VI didn't think it would look good to the public if he continued the late duke's Civil List income, since so many were experiencing such hardships.  After the war, Marina never brought it up.  I believe the money was all tied up for the children, with nothing for the widow.
ralf103

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2021, 08:50:58 PM »

This is a great article which details Marina's financial woes:

https://royal-splendor.bl...rinas-financial-woes.html

A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2021, 09:02:43 PM »

To be fair, he inherited the dukedom before he was even seven years old.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2021, 01:42:03 AM »

Did Princess Marina's mother Princess Nicholas of Greece financially help her daughter?
Gemsheal

Large Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2021, 01:45:19 AM »

Did Princess Marina's mother Princess Nicholas of Greece financially help her daughter?

I think Helen & Prince Nicholas were pretty broke by the time of Marina's marriage.  All of Helen's fortune was tied up in pre-revolutionary Russia and the Greek RF were never rich.  The men just married rich women mostly. 

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!

- Jane Austen
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »

To be fair, he inherited the dukedom before he was even seven years old.
And on top of everything, she paid the death taxes in the middle of that, that is why she kept selling family heirlooms, and property until the end of her life, yes, very quietly but to no end. For years there was a history for "royal lady" whose earrings fall and one of the alleged diamonds fall into pieces, it was paste.

These are a Russian antique but not all of what you can see in the picture are real diamonds anymore.

I think the same story is known about her famous bow brooch.

I think Helen & Prince Nicholas were pretty broke by the time of Marina's marriage.  All of Helen's fortune was tied up in pre-revolutionary Russia and the Greek RF were never rich.  The men just married rich women mostly.  
You are right, in fact, Princess Elizabeth, Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach, was one the main $upporter of her parents, and it is funny since Helen Vladimirovna didn't want her daughter at first to marry a simple "Graf" but as her husband, Prince Nicholas well said, they were immensely rich and those were the days were the Russian inheritance, and monthly allowance, vanished because of the Russian revolution, it also explains why Elizabeth's successors cling to family heirlooms while both Marina and Olga saw them go mostly, I read somewhere that Olga's family was able to hold some of them.

Marina's greater asset when she married the BRF was her blood and family connections for she lacked everything else, the Nicholas were poor by then.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:31:28 PM by Konradin » Logged
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2021, 04:36:22 PM »

Thanks Konradin!  Star

I learn so much on this board!

I think Helen & Prince Nicholas were pretty broke by the time of Marina's marriage.  All of Helen's fortune was tied up in pre-revolutionary Russia and the Greek RF were never rich.  The men just married rich women mostly

A proud tradition that continues to this day!
Gemsheal

Large Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2021, 09:37:46 PM »

Thanks Konradin!  Star

I think Helen & Prince Nicholas were pretty broke by the time of Marina's marriage.  All of Helen's fortune was tied up in pre-revolutionary Russia and the Greek RF were never rich.  The men just married rich women mostly

LOL, I was thinking the same when I wrote that.

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!

- Jane Austen
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2021, 04:26:21 PM »

Thanks Konradin!  Star

LOL, I was thinking the same when I wrote that.

The Greek Royal Family has a tradition there, let's start:
- Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna
- Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna
- Princess Marie Bonaparte
- "Princess" Anastasia (née Nonie May Stewart)
- All of Constantino's children. 

In any case they would always be welcomed in Denmark, they are marrying HRH, they are nephews and nieces to an actual queen, and they are related to the next king of GB, so they will be around much.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: