Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (Queen mother)  (Read 18406 times)
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »

The Duke and Duchess of York with their daughters Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret 12 July 1933

From the Royal Collection

These are wonderful. Smiley I absolutely LOVE seeing a young, carefree QE. And the interactions between daughters and parents is just lovely.

Wow does Edward look like his grandfather!  Bertie and Elizabeth could be Edward and Louise.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 10:54:15 PM »

Was the QM considered a " catch" ?
She wasn't much in the looks department , though she had a beautiful smile. Was it a love match or what did she bring to the royal family?

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
Mary Stuart

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »

I think it was love, I read that Albert (George VI) proposed to her three times before she accepted.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »

Thanks Mary Stewart! That's good to know  Smiley

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »

Was the QM considered a " catch" ?
She wasn't much in the looks department , though she had a beautiful smile. Was it a love match or what did she bring to the royal family?

She was considered a catch, particularly by the standards of Queen Mary and King George.  She had an impeccable pedigree.  She had no questionable past. And although she had a sense of fun, she was also conscious of her position and the responsibilities that went with it.  Many of Elizabeth's contemporaries following World War I were party-goers, were regulars at night clubs, and were generally frivolous and hedonistic.  Elizabeth was more old-fashioned about such things.  For all the qualities she had that King George and Queen Mary admired, they underestimated her in many other ways.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »

Thanks Helena! I see her called a commoner and didn't know the whole deal

Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 04:28:03 AM »

Technically, she was a commoner before she married the Duke of York, but she was an upper class commoner and the daughter of an aristocrat.   Smiley
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »

Technically, she was a commoner before she married the Duke of York, but she was an upper class commoner and the daughter of an aristocrat.   Smiley

I like that Bertie chose to marry Elizabeth and not a foreign royal Princess, which I'm sure was on the cards had he not married Elizabeth.  He may have had slightly more "freedom" with his choice for a wife as he was not expected to be King, the same way that Andrew and Edward had more "choice" with their wife as opposed to Charles and Diana.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »

I like that Bertie chose to marry Elizabeth and not a foreign royal Princess, which I'm sure was on the cards had he not married Elizabeth.  He may have had slightly more "freedom" with his choice for a wife as he was not expected to be King, the same way that Andrew and Edward had more "choice" with their wife as opposed to Charles and Diana.

George V and Mary lowered the bar after WWI, and announced that it would be acceptable if their children married someone from the British Isles. Mostly because of the thrones that tumbled in that time, but also because of the xenophobia - the public might have lost their minds if David or Bertie married a German princess. That same xenophobia lingered to the mid-1940s, when Philip and Elizabeth were courting, even though he was a Greek prince with connections to the Danish Royal Family. Philip was the last of the 'blue-blood princely kind' to marry into the BRF.

I'd love to see Harry marry a princess of somewhere, though, just to put people in a tizzy.

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:02 PM »

She's a little young but Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg is so pretty and normal acting.
I know that Greek blonde twat who thinks she's Paris Hilton is more his type but think what a great job Alex could do!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:25:28 PM by cordtx » Logged

Trier1

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »

No chance here. No way that the kids would not be catholic and I assume this would be a problem for the BRF. But the old GD Jean might like the idea since he has a good relationship with the BRF (he often took part at her birthday parade as a member of the Irish guards)
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

No chance here. No way that the kids would not be catholic and I assume this would be a problem for the BRF. But the old GD Jean might like the idea since he has a good relationship with the BRF (he often took part at her birthday parade as a member of the Irish guards)

Not anymore, not since they passed the new succession act. Now that doesn't mean the BRF might not have a cow behind closed doors if it ever happened, but it's not legally a hurdle anymore.

Cordtx: "that Greek blonde twat" - hahahahaha!  Laughing But goodness, could you imagine Tino's orgasm if that happened? Lord preserve us from that fate.

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:58 AM »

I couldn't remember her name, but I figured y'all would know who I meant!

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »

Not anymore, not since they passed the new succession act. Now that doesn't mean the BRF might not have a cow behind closed doors if it ever happened, but it's not legally a hurdle anymore.

Cordtx: "that Greek blonde twat" - hahahahaha!  Laughing But goodness, could you imagine Tino's orgasm if that happened? Lord preserve us from that fate.
Seriously, he might blow up. As much as I would hate that, the family dynamics with the ExMajs from Greek, the Millers from Texas and the Middletons fighting for pole positions would be fabulous.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Fairy Queen

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

Prince Charles said just before he married Diana that his grandparents (meaning the QM and King) marriage was an arranged marriage and that turned out to be one of the happiest marriages he'd seen.  He was suggesting that his marriage was arranged but he believed they'd be happy.
From what I've read Bertie was enamoured with Elizabeth but it was (at first) unrequited.  She herself was interested in Edward/David and wanted to marry him.  At least thats what David claimed - "she was rather too fond of me".  However Bertie persisted and after turning his proposal down twice, she agreed the third time.
It did turn into love match with time though.
The King wrote in a letter to his daughter that his wife was "the most wonderful woman in the world to me".  I think thats the quote.

There have been rumours that their children were conceived artificially because he was impotent or because "she didn't like sex" but there are always rumours about royal births.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: