Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (Queen mother)  (Read 35768 times)
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34:03 AM »

If Prince Albert, Duke of York had decided to use his first Christian name of Albert for his regnal name and reigned as King Albert I, would people have criticized his choice of names?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »

If Prince Albert, Duke of York had decided to use his first Christian name of Albert for his regnal name and reigned as King Albert I, would people have criticized his choice of names?

I think yes.

1.) The name Albert had absolutely no tradition as British royal name.

2.) It was much too German sounding. Edward VII. also didn't reign as Albert I. though I believe with him it also had to do with the fact that he didn't get along with his father.

3.) I believe he wanted to create a continuing line between his father, George V. and himself, so that people would forget the disastrous reign of his brother.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:43:41 AM by Kristallinchen » Logged
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2019, 03:46:41 AM »

King George VI had a stamp collection: December 1944   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/96182574
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2019, 11:39:39 PM »

I think yes.

1.) The name Albert had absolutely no tradition as British royal name.

2.) It was much too German sounding. Edward VII. also didn't reign as Albert I. though I believe with him it also had to do with the fact that he didn't get along with his father.

3.) I believe he wanted to create a continuing line between his father, George V. and himself, so that people would forget the disastrous reign of his brother.

N°3 was definitely a major reason. They wanted to show continuity and stability and a "return to tradition" (as Ed VIII was too untraditional and modern, the establishment didn't like his concern for the working classes and doing things his way, like not inviting the Archbishop of Canterbury to join him for holiday at Sandringham, the Nazi business and Wallis were just the cherry on top).

Your other points were big reasons too though of course.
CyrilSebastian

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »

On September 13, 1940 German bombs fell on Buckingham Palace while King George VI was in residence.
Tizianna

Baby Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Washington, D.C. in 1939.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDB-coIYtFI

It's so nice to see these old movies. I have just started to read about english royalties. Anyone know of books abourt QM E? She i such a intresting person.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »

It's so nice to see these old movies. I have just started to read about english royalties. Anyone know of books abourt QM E? She i such a intresting person.

Well there is her official biography, The Queen Mother, the Official Biography by William Shawcross. There are lots of others out there, some of which I've read, but no one book comes to mind right now.

Do what you can, where you are, with what you’ve got.   Teddy Roosevelt
Tizianna

Baby Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2019, 04:28:36 PM »

Well there is her official biography, The Queen Mother, the Official Biography by William Shawcross. There are lots of others out there, some of which I've read, but no one book comes to mind right now.

Thank you.  Thumb up 
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

That Shawcross book is not worth the money. It was scrubbed so hard that it's basically a travel-log. Her Majesty wore a lovely pale blue coat dress and hat  from Norman Hartnell while touring XYZ is pretty much the most exciting thing you will lean from it.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »

That Shawcross book is not worth the money. It was scrubbed so hard that it's basically a travel-log. Her Majesty wore a lovely pale blue coat dress and hat  from Norman Hartnell while touring XYZ is pretty much the most exciting thing you will lean from it.

But isn't that the problem of many authorized and official biographies? As author you can't really write about the real big scandals or the true character of the person, because than you'd loose your assignment. So you stick to what she wore and which tiara she liked.
Celia

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »

No, the "official" bio included a lot of extracts from her correspondence, making it more interesting than it might have been.  I was surprised to read what she wrote her mother about Ferdinand of Romania.  Not very nice about a relative and a king, considering how strongly she felt about the monarchy.
Duchess of Verona

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »

I bought it when it first came out, and it's still on my shelf as I paid $27.95 for it. But I consider it to be a door stop.
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2019, 12:29:15 AM »

I read the Shawcross book, too, and it was astonishing how he managed to write a very bland book about a woman with such an interesting mix of character traits. All the marshmallow is in the book, just a bit of the steel, and none of the poison.

Nevertheless, I liked to read it. I think she really loved her parents, especially her mother. In all her other relationships, she seems to prefer those closest to the throne - Elizabeth's interest are more important than Margret's, Charles is much favoured above his siblings. She must have been fun to be with, though, especially if one likes gossip. She coined some champion-bitch lines.

Her remark about Edwina Mountbatten who "always liked to make a splash" has completely overshadowed a generous, intelligent and interesting personality. (I discovered Edwina in her daughter's books; all I knew about her before that were the bare facts of her life, and I'm sorry for that.)
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2019, 03:17:52 AM »

There is a short book written by a former equerry who shows a lot more of the Queen Mother's character, grit, and, well, nastiness. I forget the title. It was enjoyable and fluffy but had more hints of that steely woman behind the fluff.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2019, 04:17:37 AM »

The book is "Behind Palace Doors" by Major Colin Burgess who was her equerry for two years in the mid-1990s.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: