Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 54011 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 01:12:38 AM »

Arthur - his daughter Margaret became the Crown Princess of Sweden and interestingly, even though she was marrying the future King of Sweden she still married at St George's Chapel in Windsor and not in Sweden (Vicky also married the Crown Prince of Prussia in England and not in Prussia as the belief was that marrying into the BRF was superior to marrying into some smaller European one although Alfred did marry in Russia). The current Swedish royal family descend from Margaret and her daughter Ingrid married Frederick of Denmark taking Queen Victoria's genes into the Danish family.

Now - to confuse matters further - Christian IX of Denmark was known as the Grandfather of Europe at the same time due to the marriages and descendants of his 6 children and the intermarriages between his and Victoria's descendants:

This can get confusing but the two monarchs - Victoria of GB and Christian of Denmark are the ancestors of pretty well every monarch in Europe between them these days and many are a descendant of both of them.

Margaret, the daughter of Arthur and the first wife of the future King Gustaf VI Adolf died before her husband's accession to the throne of Sweden.  On 1 May 1920, Crown Princess Margaret died suddenly in Stockholm. The official announcement said infection set in following a mastoid operation. At the time, she was eight months pregnant and expecting her sixth child.

Widower Gustaf Adolf married Lady Louise Mountbatten, formerly princess Louise of Battenberg, on November 3, 1923 at St. James Palace. She was the sister of Lord Mountbatten and aunt of prince Philip (DoE). Although as a young woman Louise had said that she would never marry a king or a widower. Louise became Queen of Sweden.

Louise was the daughter of prince Louis of Battenberg and princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine, who was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria (through her second daughter Alice). So both Louise and her stepchildren were great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria.

It has been rumoured that Louise was previous secretly engaged to prince Christopher of Greece, uncle of prince Philip in the male line.

Besides grandfather of Europe I have also heard the nickname father-in-law of Europe for King Christian IX of Denmark. Also a very interesting genealogy. A few years ago I came across the book accompanying the extensive documentary about Christian IX and his progeny. I still enjoy the book with the anekdotes and pictures of royals.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »

A flighty fictional (love) story about Victoria with Romy & Magda Schneider:

Mädchenjahre einer Königin (Victoria in Dover; The story of Vicky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51f5Edi7R3Y

This movie was shot before the Sissi trilogy which made Romy Schneider famous.

Thanks for the rec Principessa, I can't identify the language though, but I think it is not French, Spanish or German,,, Blush. Not a cultured European with a flair for languages here.. Blush. I shall watch it though...Thanks

The language is actually German 

I have been looking for it but I haven't found a version with English subtitles yet. I am not a very cultured European, but I learned German at school and I use(d) it often in my work  Wink
Oberon

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »

Are the Spanish and Italian Royal Families descended from Victoria too? 
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »

Leopold - son followed Alfred as Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as Alfred's male heirs die

The Prince Leopold was the eighth child and fourth son of Queen Victoria. He had haemophilia, which led to his death at the age of 30.

Leopold married princess Helene of Waldeck-Pyrmont. Helene was a younger sister of princess Emma, the second (and much younger) wife of King Willem III of the Netherlands. Therefore Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and the children of Leopold and Helene were first cousins.

Leopold and Helene had two children, princess Alice and prince Charles Edward.

On 10 February 1904, Alice married her second cousin once-removed, Prince Alexander of Teck, the brother of Princess Mary, the Princess of Wales (later Queen Mary, consort of George V). She also held the titles of Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Duchess in Saxony from birth. After their marriage, Princess Alice was styled HRH Princess Alexander of Teck. When the British Royal Family abandoned all Germanic titles by Letters Patent issued by King George V in June 1917, Prince Alexander of Teck adopted the surname Cambridge, became (briefly) Sir Alexander Cambridge, then the Earl of Athlone, relinquishing the title "Prince of Teck" in the Kingdom of Württemberg and the style Serene Highness.

Alice and Alexander had three children, 1 daughter Lady May and 2 sons Rupert (died in a car crash) and Maurice (died in infancy). Princess Alice was one of the carriers of the gene for haemophilia which arose with Queen Victoria. Princess Alice inherited the gene from her father who himself was a sufferer.

According to the stories Alice had a good relationship with her Dutch relatives. She was godmother to Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, who is the granddaughter of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands.

Leopold died shortly before the birth of his son Charles Edward. Charles Edward was a first cousin of King George V of Great Britain, Queen Maud of Norway, Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig of Hesse, Empress Alexandra of Russia, Queen Marie of the Romanians, Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain, Queen Sophia of the Hellenes, Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Josias, Hereditary Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and German Kaiser Wilhelm II. Such was the interest Wilhelm showed in his young cousin's upbringing that Charles Edward was known as the Emperor's seventh son.

In 1900, 16-year-old Charles Edward inherited the ducal throne of Saxe Coburg and Gotha from is unce prince Alfred. With such strong influences from both his mother and grandmother, he had no choice but to take up the seat of Coburg in order to save that line of Royal blood. The Veste Coburg now became his main royal residence. On 11 October 1905 Charles Edward married Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Together they had five children, 3 sons and 2 daughters. Their eldest daughter Princess Sybilla married Crownprince Gustav Adolf, and are the parents of the current Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf. After their eldest son prince Johann Leopold renounced his rights (upon a non equal marriage) and their second son prince Hubertus died in WW II, their youngest son prince Friedrich Josias succeeded his father.

Charles Edward joined the Nazi Party in 1935 and became a member of the SA. He also served as a member of the Reichstag representing the Nazi Party from 1937 to 1945. In 1936, Adolf Hitler sent Charles Edward to Britain as president of the Anglo-German Friendship Society. His mission was to improve Anglo-German relations and to explore the possibility of a pact between the two countries. He attended the funeral of his first cousin George V in a uniform of a general of the German army, and sent Hitler encouraging reports about the strength of pro-German sentiment among the British aristocracy. After the Abdication Crisis, he played host to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, the former King-Emperor and his wife, during their unauthorised private tour of Germany in 1937.

Charles Edward was too old for active service, but his three sons served in the Wehrmacht. After WW II Charles Edward was placed under house arrest at the Veste Coburg because of his Nazi symphaties. He was later imprisoned with other Nazi officials. His sister, Princess Alice, learning of his incarceration, came to Germany with her husband to plead for his release with his American captors. They declined to release him.

In 1946 (August 1949, according to his ODNB entry), he was sentenced by a denazification court, heavily fined and almost bankrupted. Since Gotha was part of Thuringia and therefore in the Soviet occupation zone, the Soviet Army confiscated much of the family's property in Gotha. Coburg had become part of Bavaria in 1920, and the family kept property there and in other parts of Germany and abroad.

He spent the last years of his life in seclusion. In 1953, he travelled to a local cinema to watch the coronation of his cousin's granddaughter, Elizabeth II. Having been evicted by the Allies from the Veste Coburg and his other palaces in 1946, he died in Coburg in his flat in Elsässer Straße on 6 March 1954, as the elder of only two surviving grandsons of Queen Victoria.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »

Princess Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, granddaughter of Victoria through her youngest daughter princess Beatrice, married King Alfonso XIII of Spain in Madrid on May 31, 1906.

Alfonso's mother didn't like her son's choice, in part because she considered the Battenbergs non royal and in part because she wanted Alfonso to marry within her own family, the Habsburgs. Another problems were Ena's protestantism (the Spanish are Roman Catholic) and hemophilia. Ena's brother Leopold was a hemophiliac, so there was a 50% probability that Ena would be a carrier, although the degree of risk was not yet known. Still if Alfonso would marry her, their issue could be affected by the disease. Nonetheless, Alfonso was not dissuaded.

After the wedding ceremony, the royal procession was heading back to the Royal Palace when an assassination attempt was made on Alfonso and Ena. A bomb was thrown from a balcony at the royal carriage. Ena's life was saved because, at the exact moment the bomb exploded, she turned her head in order to see St. Mary's Church, which Alfonso was showing her. She escaped injury, although her dress was spotted with the blood of a guard who was riding beside the carriage. There exists a large statue in front of the Royal Monastery of San Geronimo dedicated to the victims of the bombing.

Apparently Ena became unpopular in Spain. Alfonso and Ena had 7 children, 5 sons and 2 daughters. Their eldest and youngest son, resp. prince Alfonso and Infante Gonzalo had hemophilia. Ena was the obvious source of the condition. Alfonso is alleged never to have forgiven Ena nor to have come to terms with what had happened. Neither of their daughters is known to have been a carrier of hemophilia. Furthermore the second son of Alfonso and Ena, Infante Jaime, suffered from double mastoiditis at the of four an the resulting operation left him deaf. Jaime's speech never developed properly.

Ena's great-grandson Felipe VI is the present King of Spain. Here godchildren include Albert II, Prince of Monaco, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, and Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, 18th Duchess of Alba.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »

In the past there has been a wonderful site with the genealogy tables for more than 40 European Royal families. When it was applicable these families were linked. In other words if someone of a listed royal family married a member of another listed royal family you could switch between families. The site also included clear information about the descendants of Queen Victoria.

Over the past years I have tried to open this site again, but apparently it has been removed. The former address was: http://www.btinternet.com.../Monarchies_of_Europe.htm
But this address only displays error messages.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 02:30:44 AM »

An old representation of the relationships between Queen Elizabeth and other European Sovereigns.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/..._monarchs_family_tree.pdf

As you can see the current royal families of Great Britain, Norway and Spain descended from Queen Victoria
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »

To my understanding the Italian Royal Family does not descend from Victoria. But there are connections with the descendants of Victoria.

Princess Mafalda of Savoy, second daughter of King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, married prince Philipp of Hesse, Landgrave of Hesse Kassel.  Philipp was  the third son of Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse and of his wife Princess Margaret of Prussia (sister of the German Emperor Wilhelm II). Through her mother Queen/Emperess Victoria (former Princess Royal) Margaret was a granddaughter of Victoria.  Therefore Philipp was a great-grandchild of Victoria. His relative prince Philip (DoE) was named after him.

rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 03:25:11 AM »

The Swedish royal family also descends from Queen Victoria. Her third son, Arthur Duke of Connaught, had two daughters. The elder, Margaret (Daisy) married Crown Prince Gustaf (later King Gustaf VI Adolf) the present King's grandfather. They met and became engaged in Egypt and the Khedive of Egypt gave a tiara as a gift!

There are links to the Danish royal house through Alexandra, Princess of Wales, of course, but there is also a link of sorts to the Netherlands royals. Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont, who married Victoria's haemophilic son Leopold was sister to Emma, who, when she was very young was married to the elderly King of the Netherlands. Her daughter was Wilhelmina, who became Queen in her turn.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »

The Swedish royal family also descends from Queen Victoria. Her third son, Arthur Duke of Connaught, had two daughters. The elder, Margaret (Daisy) married Crown Prince Gustaf (later King Gustaf VI Adolf) the present King's grandfather. They met and became engaged in Egypt and the Khedive of Egypt gave a tiara as a gift!

There are links to the Danish royal house through Alexandra, Princess of Wales, of course, but there is also a link of sorts to the Netherlands royals. Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont, who married Victoria's haemophilic son Leopold was sister to Emma, who, when she was very young was married to the elderly King of the Netherlands. Her daughter was Wilhelmina, who became Queen in her turn.

The only daughter of prince Leopold (son of Victoria) and princess Helene of Waldeck-Pyrmont, princess Alice, had apparently good relationships with her Dutch royal relatives. Alice was the godmother of former Queen Beatrix (now princess), the granddaughter of Wilhelmina.
NoviceDisher
Banned
Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »

A flighty fictional (love) story about Victoria with Romy & Magda Schneider:

Mädchenjahre einer Königin (Victoria in Dover; The story of Vicky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51f5Edi7R3Y

This movie was shot before the Sissi trilogy which made Romy Schneider famous.

Thanks for the rec Principessa, I can't identify the language though, but I think it is not French, Spanish or German,,, Blush. Not a cultured European with a flair for languages here.. Blush. I shall watch it though...Thanks

The language is actually German 

I have been looking for it but I haven't found a version with English subtitles yet. I am not a very cultured European, but I learned German at school and I use(d) it often in my work  Wink

It's German  Shocked. Well two out of three ain't bad, right ?  Blush Tongue

Thank you very much for the posts Principessa. I love your cliff notes version 

I am interested in other deceased Royals from the BRF too. So I may just start more topics to learn more about them.  Whistle  Halo
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »

Sorry, for my understanding what do you mean sith cliff note version?
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »

Thank you, everyone.  This is a great thread.   Thumb up   

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Many stars!

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:23 AM »

Sorry, for my understanding what do you mean sith cliff note version?

You provided the condensed history of Victoria and her descendants. At college that would be a compliment.  Champagne

Cliffs Notes are student study guides for literature of all kinds. It can be a quick and easy way to avoid reading long literature assignments in preparation for a test. The guides were originally called Cliff's Notes and the name changed over time. If you go to any mass bookseller site (www.barnesandnoble.com) and type "cliffsnotes" in the search area you'll see how many of the small study guides are available.

Wikipedia also has a section on these study guides if you want to read more about them.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Visenya

Large Member

Aegon > William

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 08:57:09 AM »

A rumour I heard was that there was an argument or discussion between Victoria and her eldest son with concern of the choosen partner of princess Louise, John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne, heir to the Dukedom of Argyll.  Edward was apparently against the marriage based on several reasons.

Another strong rumour was that John Campbell was gay or bisexual. I wonder if Victoria ever heard this rumour and what she thought of it.

I think the real argument was about Edward naming his firstborn daughter Louise which is said to have enraged Victoria (rumor has it that Louise, Vic's daughter had an illegitimate son*). And that it was Louise herself who said that she would only marry someone British. It's rumored that she also took lovers.

But the marriage was a childless one.

*If there is a thread on this, I'd be super grateful if someone pointed it at me as I wouldn't know what to search for. Thanks in advance!

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be. Clementine Paddleford
Fiction is the Truth inside a Lie. Stephen King.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: