Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 72853 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2021, 02:51:28 AM »

Would Emperor Wilhelm I have possibly abdicated in favor of Crown Prince Friedrich?

I donít think so. I think he was an extreme narcissist and would ever have abdicated unless forced.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »

Would Emperor Wilhelm I have possibly abdicated in favor of Crown Prince Friedrich?

I donít think so. I think he was an extreme narcissist and would ever have abdicated unless forced.

No, he wouldn't. He also had no reason to do so. You can argue that he was old fashioned in his opinions, but that's certainly no reason for abdication.

Abdication would've been seen as weakness and leaving the people unprotected and lack of duty (yes this would be seen differently today, I realize that...King Friedrich II. of Prussia (the Great) saw himself as servant to his people, Franz Joseph I of Austria as first official of the state)

Monarchy at this time was for life as a (god) sent duty and nowadays it still is for many. Just ask Queen Elizabeth II.

In the same way you could ask...why didn't Queen Victoria abdicate?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:44:15 AM by Kristallinchen » Logged
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2021, 12:29:49 AM »

Hug Hug We certainly can, and there is nobody Iíd rather have an argument about than this lady. And with you, because you are so well informed!

But now I want to conduct a seance so that we can get these pressing questions answered to our satisfaction. 

A seance would be great.

Btw I think Vicky was an interesting woman, who certainly wanted, what she believed was the best...but aside from her husband I don't think she was good at judging people right or knowing, when to stand back.

She put being a mother first, when she should've first been Crownprincess and vice versa.

She wanted for Wilhelm to get the best education and become liberal. Be it. But he wasn't that type. She couldn't accept it (long before he became Emperor). Instead of supporting him she became frustrated.

She supported her namesake daughter in a die heart love story even though she knew that neither the old Wilhelm I nor Bismarck would ever consent to it. They simply couldn't. Not only because he was a nobody Battenberg, but because it would've interfered in Balkan politics. Bismarck would've never messed up with Russia. Being intelligent as she was, Vicky should've known that and been truthful to her daughter, instead of making her have false hopes.

And about the thing of: If Wilhelm I had died sooner, if Friedrich III. had lived longer, if...then...there would've no WWI etc. etc...

I'm not so sure. As I said before Friedrich and Vicky had shut out everyone. Reigning isn't just about having a few friends in the University, it's about connections. They basically had none. The whole system was against them. Did they think they could change overnight what had been built up for decades? Were they really that naive?

None of them had a personality of leadership like Bismarck at that time (who therefore had to clash with his pupil Wilhelm II., because two alpha dogs naturally can't work together).
Germany would always have sided with Austria and after the assassination of the Austrian Crown prince there was no hope for conflict free solutions. Russia would have sided with Serbia, Germany on the other hand with Austria. Question is where would have Britain stood?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2021, 01:47:59 AM »

Queen Victoria liked Apple Blossom Rosebud Geraniums which were introduced in 1870.
Emac0914

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »

Queen Victoria liked Apple Blossom Rosebud Geraniums which were introduced in 1870.

Had to post a pic to go with your comment, CyrilSebastian - wanted to see what this flower looked like.  Very pretty!
https://www.gardenia.net/...nium-appleblossom-rosebud
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »

Had to post a pic to go with your comment, CyrilSebastian - wanted to see what this flower looked like.  Very pretty!

Thanks to you both for a little bit of beauty on a rainy morning!  Such a charming name for the flower, too!  Smiley
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »

Had to post a pic to go with your comment, CyrilSebastian - wanted to see what this flower looked like.  Very pretty!
Arg, how very lovely. Can't fault Victoria for liking them... this is one exceptionally beautiful flower.. Thanks for mentioning it Cyril and thanks for providing the picture Emac0914...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2021, 09:06:14 PM »

These days I can't help but think about Queen Victoria's descent into deepest lifelong mourning after the death of Albert and contrast to the present queen's ``buck up and carry on'' attitude. I've been twice widowed myself and know that figuring out the path to follow after a spouse's death can be a challenge. But seeing Elizabeth out and about in bright colors and sometimes with a radiant smile on her face speaks volumes to me about her character and also the real bond of love she had with Philip. He would have expected no less from her.  (And I sometimes wonder what Albert would have thought if he knew his beloved wife would plunge England into what seemed to be an eternity of mourning. I bet he would not have been amused).
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2021, 09:14:18 PM »

Thank you for bringing this perspective, bumbershoot, and if it's not too late for me to say so, I'm sorry you've had to walk this path twice.  I hope you feel like you are on a good path with your own bright colors and a radiant smile.  Hug

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Queen Victoria for a lot of reasons, one of which is definitely her lifelong mourning that became, more than anything else, the core of her identity for the rest of her own life.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »

Thank you for bringing this perspective, bumbershoot, and if it's not too late for me to say so, I'm sorry you've had to walk this path twice.  I hope you feel like you are on a good path with your own bright colors and a radiant smile.  Hug

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Queen Victoria for a lot of reasons, one of which is definitely her lifelong mourning that became, more than anything else, the core of her identity for the rest of her own life.

Very good points both of you  Star

Albert would have been appalled at the grossly self indulgent behavior exhibited by his widow. I really have to wonder if she wasnít a little bit mentally ill, because the only other explanation is that she didnít want the job. But not enough to abdicate for her son, who ďkilledĒ his father by making him come to Cambridge where she was convinced he caught a fatal illness. Itís great when you can arrange facts to fit your worldview and then force people to act accordingly.

Iím not a big Victoria fan either.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2021, 11:05:44 PM »

It really doesn't help with your character forming if everybody around you walks on eggshells and nobody ever says enough is enough....

Mary's life motto:
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »

Albert would have been appalled at the grossly self indulgent behavior exhibited by his widow. I really have to wonder if she wasnít a little bit mentally ill, because the only other explanation is that she didnít want the job. But not enough to abdicate for her son, who ďkilledĒ his father by making him come to Cambridge where she was convinced he caught a fatal illness. Itís great when you can arrange facts to fit your worldview and then force people to act accordingly.

I'm not a fan of Drina either.

I honestly believe she was a mid-range narcissist.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »

The most horrible thing for me was, when Vicky's young son Sigismund died.

Instead of comforting her Queen Vic was like...Vicky get it together. I lost my husband.

anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2021, 12:42:11 AM »

Yeah thatís pretty bad. A spouse is nothing like losing a child.

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2021, 12:45:30 AM »

The most horrible thing for me was, when Vicky's young son Sigismund died.

Instead of comforting her Queen Vic was like...Vicky get it together. I lost my husband.

I wasn't even aware of that action but it further solidifies my dislike of her.  I lost any respect or even neutrality I had for her the more I learned about her response to the Irish Famine, especially her finagling of things so that no one could donate more for relief than her, and the Ottoman sultan had to step down the very generous amount he wanted to send.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: