Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria  (Read 72858 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2021, 01:04:34 AM »

Thank you for bringing this perspective, bumbershoot, and if it's not too late for me to say so, I'm sorry you've had to walk this path twice.  I hope you feel like you are on a good path with your own bright colors and a radiant smile.  Hug

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Queen Victoria for a lot of reasons, one of which is definitely her lifelong mourning that became, more than anything else, the core of her identity for the rest of her own life.

Very good points both of you  Star

Albert would have been appalled at the grossly self indulgent behavior exhibited by his widow. I really have to wonder if she wasn’t a little bit mentally ill, because the only other explanation is that she didn’t want the job. But not enough to abdicate for her son, who “killed” his father by making him come to Cambridge where she was convinced he caught a fatal illness. It’s great when you can arrange facts to fit your worldview and then force people to act accordingly.

I’m not a big Victoria fan either.

I'm not a fan of Drina either.

I honestly believe she was a mid-range narcissist.

The most horrible thing for me was, when Vicky's young son Sigismund died.

Instead of comforting her Queen Vic was like...Vicky get it together. I lost my husband.

I wasn't even aware of that action but it further solidifies my dislike of her.  I lost any respect or even neutrality I had for her the more I learned about her response to the Irish Famine, especially her finagling of things so that no one could donate more for relief than her, and the Ottoman sultan had to step down the very generous amount he wanted to send.

Yes, this is a prime example of how someone with an enormous ego but limited intellect is a bad choice for a leader. A fact that remains true today.   Whistle
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »

Thank you for bringing this perspective, bumbershoot, and if it's not too late for me to say so, I'm sorry you've had to walk this path twice.  I hope you feel like you are on a good path with your own bright colors and a radiant smile.  Hug

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Queen Victoria for a lot of reasons, one of which is definitely her lifelong mourning that became, more than anything else, the core of her identity for the rest of her own life.

Albert would have been appalled at the grossly self indulgent behavior exhibited by his widow. I really have to wonder if she wasn’t a little bit mentally ill, because the only other explanation is that she didn’t want the job. But not enough to abdicate for her son, who “killed” his father by making him come to Cambridge where she was convinced he caught a fatal illness. It’s great when you can arrange facts to fit your worldview and then force people to act accordingly.

Instead of comforting her Queen Vic was like...Vicky get it together. I lost my husband.

I wasn't even aware of that action but it further solidifies my dislike of her.  I lost any respect or even neutrality I had for her the more I learned about her response to the Irish Famine, especially her finagling of things so that no one could donate more for relief than her, and the Ottoman sultan had to step down the very generous amount he wanted to send.

Yes, this is a prime example of how someone with an enormous ego but limited intellect is a bad choice for a leader. A fact that remains true today.   Whistle
There is a plethora of examples when her ego (?) was horrible even for these days' standards:
- Alice married to Ernst, Victoria's comment is not "I'm happy for you", well, no "you are married while I am a widow".
- Vicky mentions she would like to spend more time with Fritz, Victoria's answer: "now you understand how I felt about you children". SHE ANSWERED THAT TO HER DAUGHTER, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.  Crazy

In spite of all that is written about her, both Edward VII, and especially Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg, made sure they sanitized her image to posterity, you would thing after reading this that they took out everything awful she wrote in the famous diaries but no, Beatrice left both some good witticism and really harsh comments on her family, so imagine what was left out.

There are things though that can be guessed quite rightly, her relationship with John Brown, Lucinda Hawksley on Princess Louise's bio theorizes that PL went as far as to threaten to reveal if she didn't back off, and the way she dealt with her family. I wouldn't go as far as to call her a anti-constitutional Queen, had Prince Albert lived more, yes, the Crown would have retained far more power for longer but what they have now, is what they would eventually way for that was the path the current was leading them.

Overall, her most awful side is shown in regards to her family, she could be a very contradictory person, not minding morganatic families, and marriages. Being close to people of no rank while being careful as to remind everyone who she was at all times. Most of what later happened has to with the famous "Kensington System", they raised a very resentful and cloistered princess that eventually turned into a capricious woman, Albert manoeuvred into appearing to her best self but not without its failings, again, a lot of biographers argue that in doing so, and turning her into that "kleines gutes Weibchen", that little good Wifey he eroded those Hannoverian traits that made her interesting, in any case, she ruled in a very important area, named it, and is still associated with the British Empire, she saw its zenith, and died before its evolution.

I'm just sad there isn't more info on her, I read all there is, so unless HM allows people into the archives that have not been seen, i.e. Princess Louise's papers, the rumour of a child born out of wedlock, QV even provided for him, and would explain why PL couldn't have children afterwards perhaps due to a troublesome delivery, for Lorne and her did try.

So, yes, it is a very interesting character but a horrible mother.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2021, 01:39:39 AM »

Do you think that Victoria's uncle, King Leopold I of Belgium, could have influenced her to come out of mourning and possibly remarry?
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2021, 03:29:25 AM »

Do you think that Victoria's uncle, King Leopold I of Belgium, could have influenced her to come out of mourning and possibly remarry?

No way. She was beyond reach at that point.
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2021, 03:45:05 AM »

Another problem for Leopold is that he died less than four years after Albert (almost to the day - 10th December 1865). He was really the last person who could have brought her round but his death would only have added to her mourning period I suspect.
Gemsheal

Large Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »

There is a plethora of examples when her ego (?) was horrible even for these days' standards:
- Alice married to Ernst, Victoria's comment is not "I'm happy for you", well, no "you are married while I am a widow".
- Vicky mentions she would like to spend more time with Fritz, Victoria's answer: "now you understand how I felt about you children". SHE ANSWERED THAT TO HER DAUGHTER, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.  Crazy

In spite of all that is written about her, both Edward VII, and especially Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenberg, made sure they sanitized her image to posterity, you would thing after reading this that they took out everything awful she wrote in the famous diaries but no, Beatrice left both some good witticism and really harsh comments on her family, so imagine what was left out.

There are things though that can be guessed quite rightly, her relationship with John Brown, Lucinda Hawksley on Princess Louise's bio theorizes that PL went as far as to threaten to reveal if she didn't back off, and the way she dealt with her family. I wouldn't go as far as to call her a anti-constitutional Queen, had Prince Albert lived more, yes, the Crown would have retained far more power for longer but what they have now, is what they would eventually way for that was the path the current was leading them.

Overall, her most awful side is shown in regards to her family, she could be a very contradictory person, not minding morganatic families, and marriages. Being close to people of no rank while being careful as to remind everyone who she was at all times. Most of what later happened has to with the famous "Kensington System", they raised a very resentful and cloistered princess that eventually turned into a capricious woman, Albert manoeuvred into appearing to her best self but not without its failings, again, a lot of biographers argue that in doing so, and turning her into that "kleines gutes Weibchen", that little good Wifey he eroded those Hannoverian traits that made her interesting, in any case, she ruled in a very important area, named it, and is still associated with the British Empire, she saw its zenith, and died before its evolution.

I'm just sad there isn't more info on her, I read all there is, so unless HM allows people into the archives that have not been seen, i.e. Princess Louise's papers, the rumour of a child born out of wedlock, QV even provided for him, and would explain why PL couldn't have children afterwards perhaps due to a troublesome delivery, for Lorne and her did try.

I have to put in two cents worth of defense of Queen Victoria, and yes, I'm a bit biased because I find her life and her personal history absolutely fascinating.   

She wrote that way to Princess Vicky, Crown Princess of Prussia, only AFTER Vicky had written to Queen Victoria that she would sacrifice her husband and all her other children to bring the dead Sigismund back.  (Vicky was over-mourning his loss, just as Queen Victoria was guilty of over-mourning Albert's.)

Victoria grew up without a father; her mother was under the influence of a very tricky character, Sir John Conroy, and Victoria herself admitted she had a lonely childhood, with only 2 older half-siblings (a brother who was 14 yrs older and a sister 12 years older, and was married when Victoria was age 8.)  She was given no privacy, was very overprotected (to the point where someone had to hold her hand whenever she used the stairs, and she slept in her mother's bedroom until the night she became Queen).  She was made to fear her "wicked Uncles" King George and King William who it was thought might kidnap her from her mother.   Conroy was a bully who attempted to coerce Victoria into making her mother Regent until she was twenty-one and making himself her private secretary.   The only person she had on her side growing up was her governess Lehzen, who may have had her own reasons to foster emotional warfare between Victoria and her mother. 

So if you look at all that, you see why Victoria, who had no experience of children whatsoever and had a strained relationship with her own mother, wasn't the most cuddly, affectionate & playful person with children when she had them.   Albert, ironically, was a loving and playful father to his children when they were young, but extraordinarily demanding of them intellectually and morally as they grew, whereas Victoria, who didn't generally like little babies, preferred the children as they grew up, and while she might not have condoned bad behavior, did stand by them as adults when they got into trouble.  I think the famous remark "I can never look at him without a shudder" which is often repeated as a mantra whenever Victoria and Edward VII's relationship is discussed, is given too much weight.  It was written directly after Albert's death when she was in the worst grief, and later on she would write of him, "he is so affectionate and kind that it is a pleasure to have a little time with him together," when they were in Scotland alone.   And she depended on Bertie when things went sideways in the family, i.e., when her son-in-law Louis of Hesse remarried an unsuitable Russian divorcee (she left it to Bertie to arrange the annulment and deal with the woman's payoff).  She also depended on Bertie to deal with the "Royal mob" when there were big engagements such as the Jubilee celebrations.   

Victoria was painfully honest.  She could write to her daughter Helena:  "children very well, but poor Louise very ugly" when that granddaughter was just 2 years old!   But as she said to her granddaughter, who yes, thought it rather cruel when she found out about it:   "My dear child, it was only the truth!"   (This story reminds me of Jack Brooksbank's grandmother who said Jack wasn't the brightest, or something like that, when Eugenie's engagement was announced?)

Well, this post is already far too long but I hope I have put in a good word or two about old Queen Vic.  Mind you I don't defend her Irish policy, or the empire-building that took place under her reign, or "Victorian" repressiveness, or racial and other injustices (a lot of which were carried out in her name, but didn't reflect HER beliefs).

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like!

- Jane Austen
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2021, 01:36:43 AM »

Did Queen Victoria have a lot of personal contact with her first cousins, King Leopold II of Belgium and his brother Prince Philippe, Count of Flanders?
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »

Another problem for Leopold is that he died less than four years after Albert (almost to the day - 10th December 1865). He was really the last person who could have brought her round but his death would only have added to her mourning period I suspect.
When Albert died, Victoria wrote in her diaries "there is no-one left to call me 'Victoria' know". I guess Leopold referred to her as Drina or something. In any case, I don't think anyone but Albert could have stopped that, and sorry for the terms, hysterical reaction to death, she had almost a similar fit when her mother the Dowager Duchess of Kent died, Albert used Alice as a buffer to help her transitioning from that state to a sane one but per his records, he and the rest of the courtiers worried that she might have been going the George III way, there was always the Hannoverian crazy trait they all feared in Victoria. I think her reaction to Albert's demise was mostly caprice than other thing, at that point he was the acting king in the shadows, that does not mean she didn't have power or make decisions but his ideas were the ones she pursued. What happened in that little head, thanks to Pss Beatrice and Edward VII, we will never know.

I have to put in two cents worth of defense of Queen Victoria, and yes, I'm a bit biased because I find her life and her personal history absolutely fascinating.   

She wrote that way to Princess Vicky, Crown Princess of Prussia, only AFTER Vicky had written to Queen Victoria that she would sacrifice her husband and all her other children to bring the dead Sigismund back.  (Vicky was over-mourning his loss, just as Queen Victoria was guilty of over-mourning Albert's.)

Victoria grew up without a father; her mother was under the influence of a very tricky character, Sir John Conroy, and Victoria herself admitted she had a lonely childhood, with only 2 older half-siblings (a brother who was 14 yrs older and a sister 12 years older, and was married when Victoria was age 8.)  She was given no privacy, was very overprotected (to the point where someone had to hold her hand whenever she used the stairs, and she slept in her mother's bedroom until the night she became Queen).  She was made to fear her "wicked Uncles" King George and King William who it was thought might kidnap her from her mother.   Conroy was a bully who attempted to coerce Victoria into making her mother Regent until she was twenty-one and making himself her private secretary.   The only person she had on her side growing up was her governess Lehzen, who may have had her own reasons to foster emotional warfare between Victoria and her mother. 

So if you look at all that, you see why Victoria, who had no experience of children whatsoever and had a strained relationship with her own mother, wasn't the most cuddly, affectionate & playful person with children when she had them.   Albert, ironically, was a loving and playful father to his children when they were young, but extraordinarily demanding of them intellectually and morally as they grew, whereas Victoria, who didn't generally like little babies, preferred the children as they grew up, and while she might not have condoned bad behavior, did stand by them as adults when they got into trouble.  I think the famous remark "I can never look at him without a shudder" which is often repeated as a mantra whenever Victoria and Edward VII's relationship is discussed, is given too much weight.  It was written directly after Albert's death when she was in the worst grief, and later on she would write of him, "he is so affectionate and kind that it is a pleasure to have a little time with him together," when they were in Scotland alone.   And she depended on Bertie when things went sideways in the family, i.e., when her son-in-law Louis of Hesse remarried an unsuitable Russian divorcee (she left it to Bertie to arrange the annulment and deal with the woman's payoff).  She also depended on Bertie to deal with the "Royal mob" when there were big engagements such as the Jubilee celebrations.   

Victoria was painfully honest.  She could write to her daughter Helena:  "children very well, but poor Louise very ugly" when that granddaughter was just 2 years old!   But as she said to her granddaughter, who yes, thought it rather cruel when she found out about it:   "My dear child, it was only the truth!"   (This story reminds me of Jack Brooksbank's grandmother who said Jack wasn't the brightest, or something like that, when Eugenie's engagement was announced?)

Well, this post is already far too long but I hope I have put in a good word or two about old Queen Vic.  Mind you I don't defend her Irish policy, or the empire-building that took place under her reign, or "Victorian" repressiveness, or racial and other injustices (a lot of which were carried out in her name, but didn't reflect HER beliefs).
Vicky was bitchy with Wilhelm, she saw his handicap as her own fault when it actually wasn't, she treated her 3 youngest daughter much better than Victoria ever did to Louise, Helena, and Beatrice, she was not clingy of them while being close to them. Thanks to Irene of Hesse, the relationship with Heinrich improved, or let's be honest, there was some sort of bond by then.

Watch her uncles, the system George III and Queen Charlotte imposed wasn't much better if anything, they were a closed set, especially after George III's illness but they were anything but functional, read the diaries from their courtiers, the Hannover were anything but sane, George I, George II, George III, even George IV with Charlotte, and Victoria with her children fall into that category for unhealthy relationship, she responded to that unhealthy pression very badly, that is for sure but she was given access to other relatives if seldom, that was the trademark by then. I'm not saying this system was appalling and not abuse per se but I don't think her aunts fared much better in that regard, nor her cousin Charlotte of Wales, until they married they all lived in nunneries more or less.

"I can never look at him without a shudder" she said this about Bertie for she blamed him for Albert's death after the whole Nellie Cliffden affair, a very Victoria reaction to events, for sure. She let herself be infatuated with people (e.g. Brown and the Munshi) until they proven not so golden, and then she discarded them. Both Alfred and Alice suffered this very hard, especially the latter. I mean, let's all remember the whole nurturing situation, Alice wanted to feed her girls, Victoria was against it for pushy mummy even by cable and letter was all for keeping her reins over her children, Alice didn't submit so she named one her cows ALICE as a response. I mean, it is funny but horrible as well! Her relationship to her grandchildren was better, I would say the Hessian were her favourite ones, both Alix and Victoria Alberta there, Alix was her pet but even Victoria could see the problems with that girl even before she was sent to Russia. The Wales she didn't like that much. I don't think she was that close to the Edinburgh ones, there isn't much written about the Schleswig-Holstein even if later she was both close to Marie-Louise and Thora, they were both real characters. The Albany one is very well known that Alice was close to her, and the same could be said about the Battenbergs' child on Beatrice's side. Ena was very close to her grandmother. Not so much is know about the Connaught's girls with her, they were all in awe of her per Queen Marie of Romania's memories but she was more fond of them than her children. There is a very well known story of Bertie sort of hiding from his mother, or pacing the halls whenever he needed to address an issue with her.
I can also say Victoria was more open than any other monarch to misalliances / morganatics' unions hence the Tecks and 2 Battenbergs' weddings.

She wrote that not about Louise but of Sandra, the 3rd daughter of GD Marie of and Prince Alfred. I'm always amazed how she disliked the children that were closer to her features, Sandra, Helena, etc. while refusing to make the connection that those were her traits!

Did Queen Victoria have a lot of personal contact with her first cousins, King Leopold II of Belgium and his brother Prince Philippe, Count of Flanders?
She was fond of Victoire, Duchesse de Nemours, her first cousin, they even had a portrait together, see below, she was very sorry when she died.

She also approved of Pss Charlotte of Belgium, despite their age.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »

Thank you for all of that wonderful historical information, Konradin!  Star

Victoria is what you get when you combine a weak head, stubborn nature and a lot of power.
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »

Thank you for all of that wonderful historical information, Konradin!  Star

Victoria is what you get when you combine a weak head, stubborn nature and a lot of power.
Roll Eyes Smiley Tongue

Add also a combo of bad genetics and taste, I mean, look at the pictures of the time.   She was, again, judged by her contemporaries as a poorly dressed queen, since we are discussing the genetics, I'm sure Alfonso XIII in Spain, and Nicholas II in Russia cursed her a bit because of their hemophiliac children. Not her fault, obviously, but again, this shows exactly how Victoria reacted when presented with facts "WE DON'T HAVE THAT IN OUR FAMILY", well, my dear, you are right but it did start with you, poor Leopold was a good example.

I've read almost everything that is out there about her and her reign when they address her as a monarch in a personal capacity (even if it is a bit outdated, I would advice everyone to start with "Victoria" by Strachey, and then move to "Twilight Of Splendor" by King to get her context, and then, of course, the letters, even with so much editing she is all over the place), honestly, I spent a good deal money on books I loved so I like that my opinion is based on info, I hate when you read those "IMO BLA BLA", no, judge a character both by its context and good sources, otherwise, I don't know, you end letting your own views affect the info. Victoria's behaviour was appalling at times even by the 1800's standards as several of her courtiers have well let us know through their diaries and letters.

If you want to diver yourselves a bit more into Victoria and Albert's rearing techniques, or lack of thereof, I would highly advice everyone to watch the 3 part BBC documentary called "Queen Victoria's children":
Episode 1: focus on Victoria and Albert's background and relationship
Episode 2: The Princesses
Episode 3: The Princess

Plus, you get very well known biographers speaking there, they also quote the book they wrote behind their names so is very interesting by the end of it.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2021, 12:52:16 AM »

Konradin, Thank you for the lovely portrait of Victoria and Victoire, Duchesse de Nemours.
Konradin

Small Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »

Konradin, Thank you for the lovely portrait of Victoria and Victoire, Duchesse de Nemours.
My pleasure.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: