Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get interested in royalty ?  (Read 12247 times)
seriously

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »

It sounds kind of silly, but about 10 years ago I was watching one of those Princess Diaries movies and started wondering how many other royal families there were in the world. I was aware that Great Britain and Monaco had RF's and some countries, such as Germany and France, had once been ruled by royals, but didn't know much beyond that. I've been following-and discussing-royals ever since.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »

I'm a history buff and a big fan of historical novels. The novel "Desiree" got me interested in Swedish royal family history though no one in the current Swedish royal family really interested me that much. Alexandra Manley's marrying into the Danish royal family hooked me. That got me to learn more about the DRF. When Mary married into it, my interest in the DRF waned, especially after Alex left. At the same time,  Letizia of Spain piqued my interest. I found her much more relatable and much more appealing.  I've been following the SRF ever since.
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »

As for me, I confess to having had a crush on Frederik long before I knew what kind of person he was and long before he met Mary, when he was still handsome. I also had a soft spot for Alexandra, I had great admiration for her work as a princess. Then I started buying Hola to practice my Spanish and I started reading a little about royal houses. I loved to share the royal gossip but nobody was interested so I found this forum, where I can share my views and read other people's. Smiley
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Sophie Winklestan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »

I am not interested in royalty in that I find them fascinating or interesting. I am interested in discussing why they should exist and why we have to pay for their luxurious life. i am hoping that the republican movement will gain momentum and become more sucessful and hopefully someday...

In any case, the royals are as good as the Kardashians in their entertainement value  Crap

Boom.

I found the Tudors interesting but thought most of the current BRF were a bunch of inbred spongers. Then came the Kate and William circus and my natural sarkiness found a natural target.

Currently visualizing my highest self
evilgrapefruit

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »

I was a little girl when Charles & Diana got married so naturally got caught up in the excitement of princesses and weddings and then the cute babies that followed and that created an interest in royalty that stayed with me. I also love the historical aspect. Hello! magazine provided my education in foreign royals (hello Haakon! ). I've gone from being a huge fan of the current British royal family to wishing that we either a) have Harry as King b) get rid of them after Charles, solely due to the work ethics and general nothingness that is Kate Middleton, but can't help myself but enjoy reading snarky comments about her!
dk

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »

It's interesting how the love of history paves the way to being interested in royalty as well. This has been my motivation, too, besides the love of British culture. I remember the wedding of Princess Anne, then I followed Pr. Caroline's life in the magazines (she is my contemporary), and the rest came after that quite naturally.
I liked Diana very much, but completely lost interest in the British Royal Family with the wedding of William and Kate. In fact I had previously thought it would never happen. I'm simply not interested what they are doing, how many children they have, nothing.
When I found RD, I was amazed by the wit and humor of the dishers, and the perspective they gave on the Danish RF, especially Mary, whose fake and narcissistic character I can't stand.
Das Veilchen

Micro Member

South Africa South Africa

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »

Living in a former British Colony I obviously knew about the BRF.  I grew up in the Diana era.  She was every so often in the magazines and we were all charmed by her.  Monaco was also well known.  And I remember occasionaly seeing Beatrix on the news with her famous cake-hats.  My dad is a history buff and imparted much of his love and interest in history to us as a family.  So I knew that there were lots of royal families in the past.  Then one day we watched a program on European history and there was this lady talking about her ancestor, the father-in-law of Europe.  Yip.  Daisy it was.  My reaction was pretty much: A queen?  In Denmark?  Today?  I would not have been able to pin point where exactly on the map Denmark was...
Okay, so now I knew about 4 living monarchies.  We didn't have internet at the time so that was simply that.  
Like Laprincess I read "Desiree" and learned of the existence of the Swedish RF, but I didn't know if they still ruled or not.  Some more time passed and I read a lot of historical novels by Philippa Gregory and others on royalty.  The fascination with royalty was left dormant then until ... fast forward to W&K and of course Albert and Charlene.  They suddenly graced lots of magazine covers and the "fairy tale" was resurrected.  Early 2011 we had gotten rid of our tv, so I didn't watch W&K's wedding.  But the York sisters' famous hats was crazy news in the papers and I decided to investigate, and found the Madhattery blog.  From there I found myroyals, then orderofsplendor and recently this forum.  Through those blogs I learned of all the "living" monarchies and started connecting the dots between the history I knew and the present.  

It's an interesting subject, it really fascinates me.  I love old things, the grandeur of centuries ago, the attention to detail in their art, the elaborate decorations, and how it correlates to other areas of interest to me.  I studied music history, so I love getting to know more about the eras and culture in which the composers lived and worked, because 1650-1800 they worked primarily for royalty and nobility.  Walking through e.g. Linderhof castle I got an appreciation for the kind of life they lived and seeing the (far too) elaborate decor I understand how it is portrayed in music.  I also love reading.  And I get to associate the writing styles with a visual picture, something preserved from times gone by.  As I looked at the pictures of today's reception in Spain I was more taken with the palace than with the people.  

My fascination with royals have more to do with the history they represent than their current day status.  There are much I don't agree with, so I often refrain from airing my opinion and mostly keep my comments to the superficial.  However, I find it fascinating to see all these traditions, ceremonies, rules and protocol.  And also how they try to adapt and merge centuries old customs with a modern era.  
Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 01:49:36 AM »

I guess my interest comes naturally due to my ancestry and schooling. I can’t really remember when I became interested, maybe always since there were always discussions.
First my one grandfather is Dutch by birth so the Dutch royals and Dutch events were/are spoken of and have been as long as I can remember. Packages arriving from relatives and friends always bring not only treats but news.
My mother’s side is English and Scottish and I remember having 4:00 tea with my great-grandmother and grandmother from an early age accompanied by scones, cucumber sandwiches, or Scottish shortbread and often a history lesson.
I was raised in a border state to Canada and trips into Canada were regular. My family has always been big proponents of “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” so we learned the laws and customs.  Additionally, because field trips were often to Canada, our school taught the differences between the Canadian government (and the UK to some extent) and the US government and we even learned the American and British spelling of words.
Furthermore, my grandparents and parents were big movie fans and my grandfather was a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock. Since my one set of grandparents live in Pennsylvania, they and their friends claimed Grace Kelly as “native daughter” so I learned of her “real fairy tale” as a child. Occasional trips to Philadelphia where she had been born always brought up her story.
Then when I was in the fifth grade, we got a new teacher at our school. He was British by birth and my teacher for 4 years straight.  We students received pretty intense teaching on not only British history but also the monarchy. I remember watching a news clip reel of Prince Charles’ investiture as the Prince of Wales and another of his wedding to Diana in history class.
My interest faded some at university but my one suitemate was British and had a poster of Prince William on her wall so some of my friends found him good-looking; then when William starting dating “a regular girl” my interest was renewed.
Putting it all together, I guess I was sort of born with an innate interest in royalty.

NoviceDisher
Banned
Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »

Thank you everyone for sharing.
ArmyDuck

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »

I got interested in royality searching for information about the House of Kongo. Thats why i like searching for lost houses like the House of Kastrioti, House of the de Medici di Ottaviano, House of Hohenstaufen & House of Hauteville. Now i'm searching information on the descendent of Hussein Dey: the last dey of Algiers. Thats why i'm here.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »

I'm a history buff and a big fan of historical novels. The novel "Desiree" got me interested in Swedish royal family history though no one in the current Swedish royal family really interested me that much. Alexandra Manley's marrying into the Danish royal family hooked me. That got me to learn more about the DRF. When Mary married into it, my interest in the DRF waned, especially after Alex left. At the same time,  Letizia of Spain piqued my interest. I found her much more relatable and much more appealing.  I've been following the SRF ever since.

Me too, in regard to beeing a history buff and a fan of historical novels. I was and am also interested in genealogy, especially in combination with (hereditary) diseases. The royal genealogy is often very well documented and accessible (well the part they want us to believe  Wink ). It also helped that I was living in a country which has a (reigning) royal family and that my mother had a small interest in it also.
lyndell75

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »

My late Mother and I watched both Charles/Diana and Andrew/Sarah weddings, and from then on became fascinated.
I started collecting Royal books on Diana, followed her in magazines, watching every TV program on her and the BRF
Later when Web pages started to come, I became interested in other Royal families and their history.
Today the BRF I still follow well, along with the Swedish,  Danish, and Spanish. Thanks to the Internet there is more access to get to know more about Royalty around the world.

DuchyDiva

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »

For me, I was one of those children who made scrapbooks - I was 7 when Charles and Diana got engaged and started to make scrapbooks on the engagement and wedding. Then I found out about Mary, Queen of Scots on a family holiday and fell in love with her. From those two things came an interest in royalty, especially royal ladies. I love history and old buildings, and was enchanted by Diana. I grew up watching her royal life and of course was so sad when she died. It helped that I knew some people 'on the inside' who told me things, particularly during the nineties. When Kate came on the scene, I didn't think for one moment William would marry her. I thought she was attention seeking and had no dignity in her short skirts going to nightclubs all the time. The day the engagement was announced, I was just horrified. And when William gave her Diana's ring...well!! I have read other forums before but I like RD best. I like the people who post here (on the whole!) and the friendly atmosphere. It's nice to chat to people with similar interests, and I have learned about other royal families too. I knew they existed but not much about the personalities. So thank you!  Hug

Olivia

Small Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »

Although having lived in the Diana era, I was too little when she and Charles tied the knot. But I vividly remember waking up early in my grandma's house to watch Andrew and Sarah's wedding. In that era pre-internet, I didn't have much information about other royal families, only those occasionaly mentioned in our press.

In 1992, a certain prince carried the Spanish flag during the opening ceremony of the Summer Games and I was hooked, I confess that, with limited information and pictures, I've developed sort of a crush on William (even though he's a few years younger than me), but when I saw Felipe, he was immediately forgotten.

In 1995 I saw him during Elena's wedding (it was televised here), and then I didn't have any more news, later on, in 1997, Cristina's wedding (also televised), reminded me of his existence and, since the internet was already around, I made my research about him whenever possible. In 2004 I found the online community dedicated to royal watching and was really glad I wasn't alone. In a strike of luck, some 3 months later, Felipe announced his engagement to Letizia.

Being also a bit of a History buff, I've tried my hand at genealogy (in an amateur way), but adult life has prevented me from pursuing it any further.

Kristallinchen

Gigantic Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »

My first contact with royalty were the Sissi films with Romy Schneider. A teacher of mine lent me a book about the Habsburgs and I found out about the Spanish line, Marie Antoinette etc.
Then came Henry VIII and his six wives and I also read the novel Desiree.
Also they used to feature a serie on TV called - Die großen Feldherren (The great generals) about Caesar, Napoleon etc. though it was more about military and strategy it still led me to the ancient royals.

Before coming to this board I also used to participate in sugar board forums, but I never got how people would freak out, when someone mentioned that royal XY wasn't holy and faultless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: