Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you get interested in royalty ?  (Read 10624 times)
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2019, 09:41:19 AM »

Although I am English, I first became seriously interested in royalty when I was 9 or 10. My first major crush was Princess Caroline of Monaco. I remember reading about her in an equestrian magazine and I thought how well we would get on because both she and I shared an interest in ponies! I became interested in Marie Astrid when the press began speculating about her potential as a bride for Charles.

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
Celia

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:00 AM »

My mother had Robert Lacey's bio of QEII, and I read it when I was quite young.  I also read a lot of Ancient Roman/Greek/European and royal history.  Then the Waleses got married, and boom.  I was 12 at the time, but I'd already gotten really in to the geneology of everyone in European royalty.  Then I realised I could start tracing ownership of jewelry through photographs, and I really went nuts.  Thank you, Internet!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »

As a child I was already interested in royalty, the exact cause is unknown (to me). Perhaps triggered by historical costume tv drama's and historical books. Also my parents had a book titled: Troonopvolgers van Europa (= throne successors of Europe), which I was seriously drawn to.

Later on I developed interest in genealogy, especially in combination with (hereditary) diseases and disabilities. The royal genealogy, true or not, was most of the them the best documented. So easier and sometimes juicier to look at and to figure out.
Konradin

Mini Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »

My maternal granny came from and old Spanish family, not noble as such, but you would call them «hidalgos», on top of that, she was very proud of her Spanish ancestry, the Spanish Royal Family, and the Belgian one due to Queen Paola. She has always bought, and read thoroughly «Hello!». On top of that, I was always a nerd, History has always been, and still is, my favourite subject, then I learnt about the «Catholic King and Queen», the Habsburgs, so it was something gradual to be honest.
By my 20s, I had a general idea of who was who in the royal circle. Back then, I even bougth Diana's side of the story, until I came, by chance, to the Spanish forum «Dinastías». I read almost every historical thread, 5 years later, I've bought circa over 80 books only on royal and aristocracy them. Now, I can tell Queen Victoria's descendants up to most of her great-grand children, tell which royal houses are connected through her, and how. I think the final straw when we started making historical jokes about the Romanovs, and others, we like to imagine with a friend, that very moment when GD "Miechen" asked Czarina Alexandra for one of her daughters in marriage for one her (débauche) children, and her response was basically throwing her wheelchair at her. I know, it sounded more funny the first time we imagined that. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: