Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William the not so charming  (Read 268864 times)
kpzra

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: February 13, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »

I feel like I'm missing something here... saw this clip on the other thread as well and I don't see what everyone is talking about?

Same. He's adjusting his jacket.
LarLa

Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: February 13, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »

I am also missing it. Looks like 2 people sitting down in close seats and getting comfortable.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »

I am third: guy adjusting jacket..
Though if we are nitpicky, I have to admit that a guy doing this fidgeting, getting comfy and adjusting his clothes and elbowing and nudging his seat neighbour doesn't exactly show off his good manners and charms. And it doesn't matter if the neighbour is his wife and we can attribute his ease to a level of comfort at his spouse. It is plain rude to do so.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Evangelina

Warned
Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »

He should not hold a umbrella in uniform.
Harry got Diana's brains.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: February 14, 2019, 01:02:22 AM »

Yes, it's rude no matter what though knowing how he behaves towards his wife probably deliberate thinking he's being funny or something. I mean, this is the man who's openly mocked his wife in public. Ugh. I always feel for Kate when I am reminded what a d-bag he is.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Evangelina

Warned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: February 14, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

He is funny, the mostly US citizens here don't get British humor.
Everything is ''offensive'' in the USA, sarcasm is rude, self deprecation is ''putting your self down '' in the USA.
Non PC jokes are insert ''identity politics term inappropriate.''
Kate suggested alpaca wool for Wills wig, he called her a banana in a yellow dress, Wills declared that George has more hair at birth than him-which is good...
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: February 14, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »

Everything is ''offensive'' in the USA, sarcasm is rude, self deprecation is ''putting your self down '' in the USA.
Kate suggested alpaca wool for Wills wig, he called her a banana in a yellow dress, Wills declared that George has more hair at birth than him-which is good...

Iím an American. I donít find most of his ďjokesĒ to be funny. His sense of humor seems to be built around putting other people down. If that makes me too sensitive, or lacking in humor, then honestly, Iím fine with that.
Evangelina

Warned
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »

Iím an American. I donít find most of his ďjokesĒ to be funny. His sense of humor seems to be built around putting other people down. If that makes me too sensitive, or lacking in humor, then honestly, Iím fine with that.

Of course, cultural differences are normal, even in Europe there are things that may be confusing/different.
Dry/gallows/deadpan humor even black humor are problematic in the US.
Btw. black humor is not about jokes about black people Smiley

A  lady recently wrote her own obituary and declared that she will ''finally have the hot body that she always wanted'' because- cremation.
Most of the times there is no ill intent behind it.Politics IMO and the general economical climate created this need to ''win'' against a mostly created ''enemy,''even if there wasn't a intent to hurt/offend. For many it becomes a competition in profiting(often financially)from being insulted.
It is far more profitable to create/underline differences than to bring forward similarities/common ground.

Ronald Reagan, upon being transported to the emergency room after being shot by John Hinckley, Jr., is reported to have said to his doctors, "Please tell me youíre Republicans."
Prince Philip is a prime example for a real shocker everywhere else but in the UK, he is generally liked here for example.
Wills telling a hair stylist:
ďI donít have much hair. I canít give you much business.Ē

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:04 PM »

Well, I am not American, but European and can have a dark humor, but I donīt like most of Williams `jokesī.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »

I do neither, Principessa.

English humour, for me, is more in the direction of Blackadder (imho one of the best TV series of all times) and the likes. Stephen Fry. And Movie classics like Clockwise & Life of Brian.

Wills jokes come across as awkward. So as if he would like to be as funny as a comedian, but he just is Billy the Plumber making the awkward jokes.

As for the US, imho, there is definitely a difference in jokes there and here (here = Good ol' Europe). Reason might be that the concept of "Political Correctness" came here just later, or, more likely, that Europeans are simply used to being more "straight" (in the sense of just saying what comes to their mind first, no matter if someone might feel offended).  But this is fine as it is - the fact that different countries are different is what makes the whole thing exciting, if we all were the same, the world would be as boring as Wills KP apartment beige paint.

I know, otoh, from my personal experience, that Germans often come across as rough in the US, because we get straight to the point/business (forget about small talk and being nice ...) - although we are just the same there as at home, where everybody takes this as pretty normal behaviour ...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: February 14, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »

I do neither, Principessa.

English humour, for me, is more in the direction of Blackadder (imho one of the best TV series of all times) and the likes. Stephen Fry. And Movie classics like Clockwise & Life of Brian.

Wills jokes come across as awkward. So as if he would like to be as funny as a comedian, but he just is Billy the Plumber making the awkward jokes.

As for the US, imho, there is definitely a difference in jokes there and here (here = Good ol' Europe). Reason might be that the concept of "Political Correctness" came here just later, or, more likely, that Europeans are simply used to being more "straight" (in the sense of just saying what comes to their mind first, no matter if someone might feel offended).  But this is fine as it is - the fact that different countries are different is what makes the whole thing exciting, if we all were the same, the world would be as boring as Wills KP apartment beige paint.

I know, otoh, from my personal experience, that Germans often come across as rough in the US, because we get straight to the point/business (forget about small talk and being nice ...) - although we are just the same there as at home, where everybody takes this as pretty normal behaviour ...

I thought based on experiences (of myself and others) that that is a label a lot of Dutch people get abroad. Several years ago I was a meeting of international colleagues, beside Dutch among others Americans, Chinese and German. We were told to avoid some topics, at least not bluntly asked for or inform after it. If I remember it correct they were about medical status (=health) and age. Directly in the first moments of the several day lasting meeting I was surprised by a very direct response of an American about my looks (in comparison to my then work mail picture)  Laughing  When he noticed my surprise he stated that he learned it from us Dutch after have been working closely with Dutch people  for a long time Wink
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »

LOL. Dutch an German are very much alike, imho. If it weren't for soccer, we would downright just love each other as nations, wouldn't we ?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: February 14, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »

LOL. Dutch an German are very much alike, imho. If it weren't for soccer, we would downright just love each other as nations, wouldn't we ?

You are correct  Thumb up At least IMO
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: February 14, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »

You are correct  Thumb up At least IMO
Absolutely, apart from Soccer and a dutch Trailer ahead of you on the serpentines over the Alps.  Hug

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Carreen

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: February 14, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »

Oh, I love the Dutch ;-) although growing up on the Dutch-German border, there are countless tasteless jokes :-D

Over the last decade, some American customs found their way to grumpy old Germany. In shops and supermarkets, you hear "have a nice day" - I don't think they said that when I was a child. Auf Wiedersehen and that was it.

We even learned to handle being asked "how are you" without taking out our last bank statement and blood test to answer fully.

I think William wants to be funny but it doesn't really work. He is used to be in the public eye from the day he was conceived but I often get the impression that he doesn't enjoy it and tries to break the tension with a joke, the way his grandfather does. William probably wants to make people feel "normal" around him and that's why he makes these "oh we're just like you all" jokes about sleepless nights and crying George. I don't think he can understand that "normal" people (without a hug staff, limitless funds and a number of luxury homes) roll their eyes when they hear it because it doesn't diminish the difference in standard of life but emphasizes it. (Like the ridiculous claim that Prince Charless falls asleep at his desk with post-it notes stuck to his forehead - puh-leaze don't expect me to believe that).

Maybe William should switch to politically uncorrect jokes like the ones his grandfather fires off .... LOL... would love to see the press coverge!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: