Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate's visit to New York  (Read 347922 times)
Vava

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1470 on: December 13, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »

wisdomheaven, did you post about William's behavior with the White House press pack?  I don't want to miss reading it.   Icecream
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #1471 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »

wisdomheaven, did you post about William's behavior with the White House press pack?  I don't want to miss reading it.   Icecream

I did! I think on pages 88 or 89 94?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:40:18 PM by wisdomheaven » Logged
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #1472 on: December 13, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »

Hmmm...raised money for a wealthy private university while wasting local resources and tax payer dollars by using NYPD and an ambulance for these 3 days. Too bad that money couldn't go to NYC inner schools, art programs, etc. JMO

Star Well said, Bach.  This trip was a waste IMO.. I honestly don't know why waity tagged along

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1473 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »

I'd love to know how much this whole thing cost...

You and me both,  FC.   Thumb up Bet KP won't release the true cost...or the true funds raised

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #1474 on: December 13, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »

Kate seems to have led a very sheltered life outside her relationship with William, despite her education, family wealth etc. I am really surprised to know that she visited Italy, I didn't know about it. Anyway, apparently her only project has always been William.  Crap Too bad that her marriage has catapulted her into a life she clearly is not ready for and probably never will be. To roll her eyes during a public engagement, which is supposed to be her job, is unacceptable. She should have married a millionaire and enjoyed a life of luxury and no work. I know it's off topic, but can you picture Diana behaving like that during a charity visit? I can't Smiley
Lexy

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1475 on: December 13, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »

As an American no one person is better than another nor is one country better than another.

I've got to say, the thing I found most fascinating about living in the US was that the wonderful, charismatic, compelling people around me would tell me to my face that their country was the best in the world, literally better than every other country, (I'd even name a few, out of curiosity, and they'd agree).  They liked other countries and they would help them.  They were interesting countries, all of them.  Every American I met said that their country was the best in the world, that is, better than other countries, such as mine.  In fact, they'd laugh at the idea of the UK really mattering. There was a US-UK connection, but the UK didn't "matter" in the way that the US did.  The idea was comical.

The fascinating thing was that one of the things that they were proudest of, and that they were most defensive about, was that they were not chauvinist, they believed in total equality of all people because that was an American quality.  

They never explained how these two contradictory beliefs could be true at the same time and they got really, really aggressive about this because the American principle of equality was being questioned.  Sometimes, people weren't aggressive and they'd acknowledge the contradiction with a laugh.  They were still absolutely certain that their country is best.  The spooky thing was that, in all the travelling I did in the States, and living, studying, working there, I never found a single person who thought differently.  I don't know if that's impressive or frightening.

It is strange isn't it? I never realized how patriotic I was until I went to live abroad and became very defensive about the US. I have SIGNIFICANT problems with my country (one simply needs to check the off-topic thread...) but I do love it and cannot see myself raising a family anywhere else. Patriotism is just socialized into Americans from a very young age, or at least it was. I think that is changing, and I am not sure if that will be good or not.

However, I don't think Americans travel less simply because of our love for God and country. Many Americans DO travel, but the U.S. is so big and the geography so diverse that there is a great deal more to see in the US than in other nations for change of scene. Plus, to travel to the east coast alone can cost as much as $500-900 from a West Coast origin. On top of that, we sadly do not have mandated vacation and even when companies do provide it, studies show Americans are less willing to use vacation time than their Euro counterparts, hence why the US is still the most productive nation.

With ALL that being said, NONE of this has anything to do with Kate's lack of travel to the US or even to other major art destinations. She is a wealthy, idle and educated woman. There is no reason why one of her many escapes to Mustique couldn't have been substituted for a trip to Paris, Vienna, NYC, SF, DC, Philadelphia, Amsterdam, etc. to see and visit.

[/quote]

We are completely veering off topic which I think is what the original poster who spoke of passports was trying to do. but this is so true I work 7 days a week, and when i have ONE day off I don't know what to do with myself a lot of coworkers present and past are the same.

The reality is Kate never went on vacation ANYWHERE where William wasn't going to go. Also if William didn't work out she needed to go somewhere where the rich and titled would go, Mustique was one of those location.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1476 on: December 13, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

I come from a family that doesn't have much money - asset-rich as it were, but no extravagances.  Even on small wages I was able to visit many European cities, many important galleries and museums.  If you are already in Europe this is relatively easy and inexpensive.   Kate only seemed to leave the country for husband catching/sand/snow, despite her professed arty nature.  If she wanted to, she could have traveled, and I'm sure she could have managed New York under her own steam too.

I wonder if she's ever taken a trip on her own.  I know she worked on some yacht/ship/whatever and went to Italy, but she seems to mainly take trips with her family.  Would she be completely lost on her own?  She comes off as a true child in some aspects.
I think that's a great question.  Star I took my first trip by myself while still a teenager. It's a great rite of passage and way to build confidence.

She travelled and stayed in Italy on her own..of course it was part of the stalking, oops sorry gap year

DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1477 on: December 13, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

Kate seems to have led a very sheltered life outside her relationship with William, despite her education, family wealth etc. I am really surprised to know that she visited Italy, I didn't know about it. Anyway, apparently her only project has always been William.  Crap Too bad that her marriage has catapulted her into a life she clearly is not ready for and probably never will be. To roll her eyes during a public engagement, which is supposed to be her job, is unacceptable. She should have married a millionaire and enjoyed a life of luxury and no work. I know it's off topic, but can you picture Diana behaving like that during a charity visit? I can't Smiley

Definitely not..she who must not be named would have totally responded differently. But then again, are we really surprised?   Angel

Sister Monica Joan

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1478 on: December 13, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »

I come from a family that doesn't have much money - asset-rich as it were, but no extravagances.  Even on small wages I was able to visit many European cities, many important galleries and museums.  If you are already in Europe this is relatively easy and inexpensive.   Kate only seemed to leave the country for husband catching/sand/snow, despite her professed arty nature.  If she wanted to, she could have traveled, and I'm sure she could have managed New York under her own steam too.

I wonder if she's ever taken a trip on her own.  I know she worked on some yacht/ship/whatever and went to Italy, but she seems to mainly take trips with her family.  Would she be completely lost on her own?  She comes off as a true child in some aspects.
I think that's a great question.  Star I took my first trip by myself while still a teenager. It's a great rite of passage and way to build confidence.

She travelled and stayed in Italy on her own..of course it was part of the stalking, oops sorry gap year
I know she was in Italy, but she was there as part of a program (cookery school)? I wonder if she ever travelled somewhere by herself... like bought her tickets, planned the trip, etc.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1479 on: December 13, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »

I know she was in Italy, but she was there as part of a program (cookery school)? I wonder if she ever travelled somewhere by herself... like bought her tickets, planned the trip, etc.

Sorry Sister Monica Joan  Blush but I thought she did plan the Italian trip herself? I'm sure that I read somewhere that she did plan it?

Vava

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1480 on: December 13, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »

wisdomheaven, did you post about William's behavior with the White House press pack?  I don't want to miss reading it.   Icecream

I did! I think on pages 88 or 89 94?

Thank you!   Star  Great post!
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1481 on: December 13, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

Geez, what's all this American bashing today? What do Americans have anything to do with Kate's unworldliness?  Crazy

As someone who has traveled over 20 countries since 18 and over 20 states within the U.S., I think it's very understandable why Ameircans travel outside of the U.S. less than Europeans. Most European countries are no more than the size of a state in the U.S. Some are even smaller. Driving an hour or two, some Europeans would be in another country. It takes 5.5 hours to fly from coast to coast within the U.S. For 5.5 hours, I can fly to anywhere within Europe from London. The U.S. is a huge land mass and has very diverse landscape. We have a bit of everything:

Tropical Islands - Hawaii
Sunny sand beaches - all along south Atlantic coast, Gulf states (Miami/Key West), Pacific coast (Santa Monica, Huntington Beach aka Surf City)
Mountains - From Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado to Granite Cliffs of Yosemite National Park in California
Glacier - Alaska, Glacier National Park in Montana
Desert landscape - Death Valley National Park in California
Unique rocky landscape - Grand Canyon National Park and Antelope Canyon in Arizona, Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah
Historical cities (and with best food to boot) - New York, San Francisco, New Orleans etc.
Museums - The Metropolitan Museum in NYC, National Gallery of Art in DC, Chicago Institute of Art, Getty Museums in So. Cal., De Young Museum in San Francisco

Americans don't need to travel to anywhere else for any sceneries or for any seasons. We have it right here. I've visited most of national parks mentioned above and they're magnificent. A lot of Americans choose to pack up an RV and drive somewhere. It's cheaper and more convenient. It's completely understandable. Some of us like traveling outside for different cultures and more historical sites/cities, but we really don't need to travel outside for sunny vacations like Brits do.  Wink  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:36:22 PM by Laprincess » Logged
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1482 on: December 13, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »

I'm not really surprised that Kate's never been to New York before.  She doesn't really seem to have many interests outside of William and the beach.

I'd also be interested to see how much money was raised during this trip, vs. the cost.  I don't think it was worth it.

As for me, I've never traveled outside of the continental United States, but that's been due to financial reasons, as I've never made much more than minimum wage, and up until the last couple of years I never had a job where I got a paid vacation.   
divinemiss

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1483 on: December 13, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »

I can't post for PaulaB and while I disagree entirely with her opinion on Kate and William I honestly didn't take her comparison of passport ownership as a bash America comment.. Secret I think she was just trying to point out that Kate having not made it to NYC before now isn't actually that unusual. (I personally disagree but hay ho)

The thing is: We are force fed the story that Kate's family made multi-millions years ago from selling mail order party stuff and that Kate and her siblings grew up in aristocratic circles.
The culture of the UK (and indeed in various other countries more so) is to expand your horizons by travelling internationally. It is a deep-seated culture - even those who would be considered to be in a low socio-economic bracket will travel internationally (usually mainland Europe) for a holiday each year - to catch some sun rather than expand your horizons potentially but the international travel is still there.

As such, for some of us - and I include myself in this group - the notion of a child of alleged multi-millionaires, being schooled at one of the countries finest private schools (allbeit funded by a family trust fund) and mixing her entire life with the aristocracy not having managed to travel to countries that the average child, living in an averaged priced house, attending the local comprehensive and mixing with other average kids could have travelled to is ludicrous.

Factor in 10 years of not working and something somewhere doesn't add up. Maybe she just isn't that interested in travel - fair enough but then she needs to stop bloody announcing at the start of every foreign trip that she has always wanted to go to...insert applicable name.....as its just stupid.IMO.
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1484 on: December 13, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »

Sorry Sister Monica Joan  Blush but I thought she did plan the Italian trip herself? I'm sure that I read somewhere that she did plan it?

CH announced William's intention to spend some time in Florence on top of the Chile trip in the midst of A Levels.

More than enough time for Kate to make plans accordingly. The problem with Kate's Italian plans is that William cancelled at the last minute, but her plans couldn't be reversed and so she forged ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: