Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate's visit to New York  (Read 342548 times)
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #1485 on: December 13, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »

I come from a family that doesn't have much money - asset-rich as it were, but no extravagances.  Even on small wages I was able to visit many European cities, many important galleries and museums.  If you are already in Europe this is relatively easy and inexpensive.   Kate only seemed to leave the country for husband catching/sand/snow, despite her professed arty nature.  If she wanted to, she could have traveled, and I'm sure she could have managed New York under her own steam too.

I wonder if she's ever taken a trip on her own.  I know she worked on some yacht/ship/whatever and went to Italy, but she seems to mainly take trips with her family.  Would she be completely lost on her own?  She comes off as a true child in some aspects.
I think that's a great question.  Star I took my first trip by myself while still a teenager. It's a great rite of passage and way to build confidence.

She travelled and stayed in Italy on her own..of course it was part of the stalking, oops sorry gap year
I know she was in Italy, but she was there as part of a program (cookery school)? I wonder if she ever travelled somewhere by herself... like bought her tickets, planned the trip, etc.

Sorry Sister Monica Joan  Blush but I thought she did plan the Italian trip herself? I'm sure that I read somewhere that she did plan it?

CH announced William's intention to spend some time in Florence on top of the Chile trip in the midst of A Levels.

More than enough time for Kate to make plans accordingly. The problem with Kate's Italian plans is that William cancelled at the last minute, but her plans couldn't be reversed and so she forged ahead.

That's how I perceived it too  Thumb up

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1486 on: December 13, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »

I can't post for PaulaB and while I disagree entirely with her opinion on Kate and William I honestly didn't take her comparison of passport ownership as a bash America comment.. Secret I think she was just trying to point out that Kate having not made it to NYC before now isn't actually that unusual. (I personally disagree but hay ho)

Kate isn't an American. So what does how many % of Americans hold a passport have anything to do with Kate? If most Brits travel outside of the country often and Kate doesn't, she stands out like a sore thumb. It has nothing to do with us Americans. Citing that statistic without giving any context is just reek of condescension against Americans.  
divinemiss

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1487 on: December 13, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »

We will have to agree to disagree LAPrincess - it simply seemed like a comparison with the citizens of the country she visited to me.
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1488 on: December 13, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »

Lady Pancakes:

I kinda like her hair here at the Met. Very Scarlet O'Hara style and she even has the same death stare.  Anyways Kate does look tense or upset in that gif. Like she had a fight or something previously... Maybe with William? That she looked sort of tense during the event and did not take PW's hand when arriving tells me something.

I thought of Scarlet O'Hara too.  It's not really appropriate somehow, though I couldn't immediately say why exactly.  Well, maybe that's not an ideal person for her to draw comparison too, all things considering.
Also, she ain't no Vivian Leigh.  Look at Kate's photo, above, then look at Vivian's.  Come to think of it, Kate ain't no Scarlet O'Hara.  To me, Scarlet is naff.  But she's lively. 
[/quote]

If you read the book, you can see that in many ways Kate is Scarlett O'Hara.  Scarlett was very calculating when she went after her husbands.  She learned her lesson in the end, but it took her a while to get there.
[/quote]

Kate is NOT Scarlett which ever version of GWTW you happen upon. Even where husbands are concerned.

Ignoring all Scarlet's other qualities that Kate doesn't possess and looking at her husbands, first husband was a nonentity she would have been bored with if he hadn't died. He was a mistake she made in a thoughtless fit of pique to make someone else (Ashley) jealous.

She was more calculating with hubby no 2, but again it was an opportune moment that presented itself at her moment of need having been disappointed by someone else. second hubby was completely under her thumb, a submissive who was very afraid of Scarlett and did everything she asked him to do whether he agreed with it or not.

Husband no 3 was her equal, but she never realised this until too late. HE talked HER into the marriage. She remained indifferent to him and his needs except for his money until too late.

And throughout all this she flouted societal conventions and if not for her cousin Melanie who protected and defended her at every turn, Scarlett would have been a pariah.

Kate doesn't have a tenth of the character, calculation, beauty, obstinacy of Scarlett. Kate needs her mother Carole to help her stay the course. We haven't seen Kate's character yet because she she's never been tested. Nor is she as self destructively spoilt whilst simultaneously being as resourceful as Scarlett.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:52:47 PM by Herazeus » Logged
Fingersmith

Mini Member

Constitutional expert

Ignore
« Reply #1489 on: December 13, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »

Is it over? Are they back in Britain or has Waity been whisked to Mustique for a reward?
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1490 on: December 13, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »

An article on my Yahoo feed called the Cambridges "A dud" when it came to their NYC tour. Ha!

periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1491 on: December 13, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »

CH announced William's intention to spend some time in Florence on top of the Chile trip in the midst of A Levels.

More than enough time for Kate to make plans accordingly. The problem with Kate's Italian plans is that William cancelled at the last minute, but her plans couldn't be reversed and so she forged ahead.

OMG so before they were official (?) Kate planned a trip to Italy in order to what -surprise William with the synchronicity of their interests -and then it blew up in her face? I'm glad it blew up in her face but how pathetic is this girl or her freaky mother to do such a thing in the first place. Oh hi are you in Italy too? She is just.. a Weirdo!!!!!

Herazeus, great description of Scarlett! Kate is no Scarlett!  Star
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1492 on: December 13, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »

OMG so before they were official (?) Kate planned a trip to Italy in order to what -surprise William with the synchronicity of their interests -and then it blew up in her face? I'm glad it blew up in her face but how pathetic is this girl or her freaky mother to do such a thing in the first place. Oh hi are you in Italy too? She is just.. a Weirdo!!!!!

Herazeus, great description of Scarlett! Kate is no Scarlett!  Star

The trip was to provide her with 'small talk' and a 'shared interst' wirh willy... However 'operation Raleigh' provided her with enough...the strip dress provided her with the rest  Roll Eyes

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1493 on: December 13, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »

I can't post for PaulaB and while I disagree entirely with her opinion on Kate and William I honestly didn't take her comparison of passport ownership as a bash America comment.. Secret I think she was just trying to point out that Kate having not made it to NYC before now isn't actually that unusual. (I personally disagree but hay ho)

Kate isn't an American. So what does how many % of Americans hold a passport have anything to do with Kate? If most Brits travel outside of the country often and Kate doesn't, she stands out like a sore thumb. It has nothing to do with us Americans. Citing that statistic without giving any context is just reek of condescension against Americans.  

Thumb up

periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1494 on: December 13, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »

Thanks Debbie!  Star The more I learn about Kate the more I think there is so much we don't know about her and the Middletons. She might truly be mentally stunted. Munchausen's Syndrome by proxy?
danifaul

Big Member

sorry for my bad english

Ignore
« Reply #1495 on: December 13, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »

Thumb up

Nerves  Thumb down

.coats:

Like the coat ... but  i think ..... the places were exchanged  Thinking
  more gifs:

she learned , is good/nice Smiley contrary to what occurred in Denmark

source - tumblr cambrigde /george.tumblr - eoline - vogue

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1496 on: December 13, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

Lexie

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1497 on: December 14, 2014, 12:04:56 AM »

I am genuinely shocked that this was Kate's first visit to New York. I hope I don't sound like an ugly American because it's not that we're the greatest place in the world there are lots of places to go and enjoy but it is a little weird. New York City! Don't most rich people travel a lot? When I visited years ago I was in Bendel's and ran into several mother daughters from other countries. Really well dressed women on a shopping trip or with dad on his business. The Middletons only go to Mustique or Ibiza? She could have visited with school but didn't do that either, huh. She's a mystery that Kate. Just wanted William I guess.

I've always found it odd, too. I'm an American and far from rich but I've managed to visit London (among other places in Europe). I actually had to fund these trips myself and work to get the money to do so!  Laugh bounce

Only 46% of Americans have passports, against 70% of british so more Brits travel I want to go to New York was going to but had to cancel because of my mother's illness.  So I don't see why it is so unsurprising that this was her first visit.

I travel solo to Europe 2x a year for 3 weeks each since 2007. I am privileged in that my immediate family lives in town and I get nearly 6 weeks of vacation and 11 national holidays a year while many Americans like my brother only gets 2 weeks of vacation (no holidays). Moreover, majority of American families are scattered all over the country and instead of going aboard they travel to other states to see their loved ones which cuts into their 2 week holiday. I would not waste over $1000 to $2000 on airfares alone for 5 days (2 days of air travel) on an international trip when it is better spent on a domestic trip.  Four hours of travel you are in another country while I am still in my own state.

If I had Duchess Dolittle's time and money I would have been around the globe.
Lexie

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1498 on: December 14, 2014, 12:06:51 AM »

double post
Jazzy

Humongous Member

All that glitters...

Ignore
« Reply #1499 on: December 14, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »

Thumb up