Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate's visit to New York  (Read 342669 times)
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »

As an American no one person is better than another nor is one country better than another.

[/quote]
I've got to say, the thing I found most fascinating about living in the US was that the wonderful, charismatic, compelling people around me would tell me to my face that their country was the best in the world, literally better than every other country, (I'd even name a few, out of curiosity, and they'd agree).  They liked other countries and they would help them.  They were interesting countries, all of them.  Every American I met said that their country was the best in the world, that is, better than other countries, such as mine.  In fact, they'd laugh at the idea of the UK really mattering. There was a US-UK connection, but the UK didn't "matter" in the way that the US did.  The idea was comical.

The fascinating thing was that one of the things that they were proudest of, and that they were most defensive about, was that they were not chauvinist, they believed in total equality of all people because that was an American quality.  

They never explained how these two contradictory beliefs could be true at the same time and they got really, really aggressive about this because the American principle of equality was being questioned.  Sometimes, people weren't aggressive and they'd acknowledge the contradiction with a laugh.  They were still absolutely certain that their country is best.  The spooky thing was that, in all the travelling I did in the States, and living, studying, working there, I never found a single person who thought differently.  I don't know if that's impressive or frightening.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:18:27 PM by chrys » Logged
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: December 13, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »

I am genuinely shocked that this was Kate's first visit to New York. I hope I don't sound like an ugly American because it's not that we're the greatest place in the world there are lots of places to go and enjoy but it is a little weird. New York City! Don't most rich people travel a lot? When I visited years ago I was in Bendel's and ran into several mother daughters from other countries. Really well dressed women on a shopping trip or with dad on his business. The Middletons only go to Mustique or Ibiza? She could have visited with school but didn't do that either, huh. She's a mystery that Kate. Just wanted William I guess.

I've always found it odd, too. I'm an American and far from rich but I've managed to visit London (among other places in Europe). I actually had to fund these trips myself and work to get the money to do so!  Laugh bounce

Only 46% of Americans have passports, against 70% of british so more Brits travel I want to go to New York was going to but had to cancel because of my mother's illness.  So I don't see why it is so unsurprising that this was her first visit.

So what is this "statistic based on?
England has 56 million populous v. the United States @ 300 million? The U.S. is enormous compared to the size of England. Americans travel a great deal so can going from east coast to west coast mileage wise be comparable from hopping from England over to France? Which is @ 21 miles (4 kilometers). Heck my commute one way is 114 miles! Just wanted to establish what this statistic is based on as opposed to the impression of another smug sounding comment that Americans are mainly considered ignorant (along with several other rude suggestions)- which is what has been the general tone and consensus during the so-called "tour" by their supporters.
As an American no one person is better than another nor is one country better than another. All of our history/actions have plenty of proof we all have faults. I guess I am fed up with hearing such condescending smug remarks against Americans this past week- as if we are incapable of even bathing or dressing appropriately. The proof is in the footage/photos of the not-so dynamic duo.

p.s. Considering Waity is allegedly from a "wealthy" family and was bone-idle for @ a decade or so- one would imagine she would have included NYC as one of the places to visit prior to her freebie she got this past week complements of the taxpayers/donations.

eastcoast, Re the passport thing, I've spent some time in the US and it's true I'm afraid, they ARE pretty insular and really are not travellers in the same sense as Europeans or Australians. The distance thing isn't relevant - Australians are at the other end of the earth, with the same massive coast-to-coast distance,  and something like 90 per cent of Australians have passports! At least 80 per cent of adult Australians have travelled overseas, seriously. So it's more a matter of the US being a superpower and being able to manage without very much foreign interaction other than via the military! : ) It also has to do with disparity of income - US wealth is concentrated at the top, and the poor can't afford to travel overseas. Whereas in Australia, the minimum wage is $16 an hour and there are massive penalty rates - your wait staff will be paid $45 an hour of a Sunday. That means even the lowest-paid workers can afford to save up and travel to Bali or New Zealand on holiday. Add to all that the fact that Australia never had a war with its coloniser, Britain, so the trip home to the "mother country" is a rite of passage for many, many young Australians. The US equivalent has tended until fairly recently to be affluent offspring travelling to Paris or Rome ... Oh and I LOVE Americans and I wish I had a green card! I'd live there in a shot. Boston or Seattle ... or San Francisco ...
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

I'm sure she didn't mean to call someone here specifically smug, but at the same time, the statistics have no bearing on the conversation at hand, and are normally used to take a swipe at we ignorant Americans. It is surprising that a wealthy female, interested in art (supposedly) who has also managed to travel across the Atlantic to Mustique how many times? Hasn't managed to visit NYC until now. It seems the only places Kate has had any interest in traveling to in her private adult life (and she's traveled a lot) involve a warm sandy beach. Now, considering she's been Williams mattress for over a decade, that could very well be his fault due to his lack of cultural interest in anything that isn't merely a playground for the white ruling class  Secret

getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: December 13, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »

I'm sure she didn't mean to call someone here specifically smug, but at the same time, the statistics have no bearing on the conversation at hand, and are normally used to take a swipe at we ignorant Americans. It is surprising that a wealthy female, interested in art (supposedly) who has also managed to travel across the Atlantic to Mustique how many times? Hasn't managed to visit NYC until now. It seems the only places Kate has had any interest in traveling to in her private adult life (and she's traveled a lot) involve a warm sandy beach. Now, considering she's been Williams mattress for over a decade, that could very well be his fault due to his lack of cultural interest in anything that isn't merely a playground for the white ruling class  Secret

Ahrm... doesn't shopping count as cultural expoditions? Confused Confused

G Confused

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: December 13, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »

I'm sure she didn't mean to call someone here specifically smug, but at the same time, the statistics have no bearing on the conversation at hand, and are normally used to take a swipe at we ignorant Americans. It is surprising that a wealthy female, interested in art (supposedly) who has also managed to travel across the Atlantic to Mustique how many times? Hasn't managed to visit NYC until now. It seems the only places Kate has had any interest in traveling to in her private adult life (and she's traveled a lot) involve a warm sandy beach. Now, considering she's been Williams mattress for over a decade, that could very well be his fault due to his lack of cultural interest in anything that isn't merely a playground for the white ruling class  Secret

G Confused
Don't her parents have access to cheap flights  as ex-air staff, or is that an urban myth?  Even if they don't, you would have thought the parents would be focused on the value of travel.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »

G Confused

Laughing how could I forget her multiple shopping trips through that melting pot that is the Kensington High Road or through the East Anglian antiques market

chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: December 13, 2014, 02:07:40 PM »

You know the funny thing?  I live off High Street Kensington and you're quite likely to hear no British accent from one end to another.  You'll probably hear English, but with a non-British different accent - too many to mention.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:22:17 PM by chrys » Logged
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »

Well, that will teach us all about assuming about anyone and any country's cultural exposure  Secret

anastasia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: December 13, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

Part of the reason that people travel is because they sincerely want to visit other places, expose themselves to different cultures, etc. There is a certain intellectual curiosity in that which I think Kate completely lacks. Vacations to sunny beaches where she can tan seems to be her thing. One of Diana's good qualities that many people used to comment on was that she was sincerely interested in learning about other people. Kate does not have this quality at all.  I think this is one of the reasons why the New York trip was a dud. I realize that they were here only a few days, but Kate was at her most animated when she met the woman from J. Crew! We all know people with whom we can not have a decent conversation because they are devoid of personality and aren't interested in talking about anything other than the superficial. One of the most amazing things about being in the royal family is the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and from different backgrounds, cultures, etc. I think that Kate views this as a deficit unless the people are rich people. Some of the best trips my husband and I have taken with our children are when we have gone places where few Americans go. My kids have loved that, too, because they enjoy being immersed (even if for a week) in something entirely different. Kate will go back to her comfort zone every time.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: December 13, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »

Lady Pancakes:

I kinda like her hair here at the Met. Very Scarlet O'Hara style and she even has the same death stare.  Anyways Kate does look tense or upset in that gif. Like she had a fight or something previously... Maybe with William? That she looked sort of tense during the event and did not take PW's hand when arriving tells me something.

[/quote]

I thought of Scarlet O'Hara too.  It's not really appropriate somehow, though I couldn't immediately say why exactly.  Well, maybe that's not an ideal person for her to draw comparison too, all things considering.
Also, she ain't no Vivian Leigh.  Look at Kate's photo, above, then look at Vivian's.  Come to think of it, Kate ain't no Scarlet O'Hara.  To me, Scarlet is naff.  But she's lively.  
[/quote]

If you read the book, you can see that in many ways Kate is Scarlett O'Hara.  Scarlett was very calculating when she went after her husbands.  She learned her lesson in the end, but it took her a while to get there.
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: December 13, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »

I come from a family that doesn't have much money - asset-rich as it were, but no extravagances.  Even on small wages I was able to visit many European cities, many important galleries and museums.  If you are already in Europe this is relatively easy and inexpensive.   Kate only seemed to leave the country for husband catching/sand/snow, despite her professed arty nature.  If she wanted to, she could have traveled, and I'm sure she could have managed New York under her own steam too.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: December 13, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »

I come from a family that doesn't have much money - asset-rich as it were, but no extravagances.  Even on small wages I was able to visit many European cities, many important galleries and museums.  If you are already in Europe this is relatively easy and inexpensive.   Kate only seemed to leave the country for husband catching/sand/snow, despite her professed arty nature.  If she wanted to, she could have traveled, and I'm sure she could have managed New York under her own steam too.

I wonder if she's ever taken a trip on her own.  I know she worked on some yacht/ship/whatever and went to Italy, but she seems to mainly take trips with her family.  Would she be completely lost on her own?  She comes off as a true child in some aspects.
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: December 13, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

I think she scored that yacht job through friends of mum and dad...
Sister Monica Joan

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: December 13, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

I wonder if she's ever taken a trip on her own.  I know she worked on some yacht/ship/whatever and went to Italy, but she seems to mainly take trips with her family.  Would she be completely lost on her own?  She comes off as a true child in some aspects.
I think that's a great question.  Star I took my first trip by myself while still a teenager. It's a great rite of passage and way to build confidence.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: December 13, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »

As an American no one person is better than another nor is one country better than another.

I've got to say, the thing I found most fascinating about living in the US was that the wonderful, charismatic, compelling people around me would tell me to my face that their country was the best in the world, literally better than every other country, (I'd even name a few, out of curiosity, and they'd agree).  They liked other countries and they would help them.  They were interesting countries, all of them.  Every American I met said that their country was the best in the world, that is, better than other countries, such as mine.  In fact, they'd laugh at the idea of the UK really mattering. There was a US-UK connection, but the UK didn't "matter" in the way that the US did.  The idea was comical.

The fascinating thing was that one of the things that they were proudest of, and that they were most defensive about, was that they were not chauvinist, they believed in total equality of all people because that was an American quality.  

They never explained how these two contradictory beliefs could be true at the same time and they got really, really aggressive about this because the American principle of equality was being questioned.  Sometimes, people weren't aggressive and they'd acknowledge the contradiction with a laugh.  They were still absolutely certain that their country is best.  The spooky thing was that, in all the travelling I did in the States, and living, studying, working there, I never found a single person who thought differently.  I don't know if that's impressive or frightening.
[/quote]

It is strange isn't it? I never realized how patriotic I was until I went to live abroad and became very defensive about the US. I have SIGNIFICANT problems with my country (one simply needs to check the off-topic thread...) but I do love it and cannot see myself raising a family anywhere else. Patriotism is just socialized into Americans from a very young age, or at least it was. I think that is changing, and I am not sure if that will be good or not.

However, I don't think Americans travel less simply because of our love for God and country. Many Americans DO travel, but the U.S. is so big and the geography so diverse that there is a great deal more to see in the US than in other nations for change of scene. Plus, to travel to the east coast alone can cost as much as $500-900 from a West Coast origin. On top of that, we sadly do not have mandated vacation and even when companies do provide it, studies show Americans are less willing to use vacation time than their Euro counterparts, hence why the US is still the most productive nation.

With ALL that being said, NONE of this has anything to do with Kate's lack of travel to the US or even to other major art destinations. She is a wealthy, idle and educated woman. There is no reason why one of her many escapes to Mustique couldn't have been substituted for a trip to Paris, Vienna, NYC, SF, DC, Philadelphia, Amsterdam, etc. to see and visit.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: