Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate's visit to New York  (Read 347930 times)
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: December 14, 2014, 12:56:41 AM »

This thread has gone waaaaay OT...
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: December 14, 2014, 01:14:23 AM »

Crap, Kate ate something ^^
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: December 14, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »

Geez, what's all this American bashing today? What do Americans have anything to do with Kate's unworldliness?  Crazy

As someone who has traveled over 20 countries since 18 and over 20 states within the U.S., I think it's very understandable why Ameircans travel outside of the U.S. less than Europeans. Most European countries are no more than the size of a state in the U.S. Some are even smaller. Driving an hour or two, some Europeans would be in another country. It takes 5.5 hours to fly from coast to coast within the U.S. For 5.5 hours, I can fly to anywhere within Europe from London. The U.S. is a huge land mass and has very diverse landscape. We have a bit of everything:

Tropical Islands - Hawaii
Sunny sand beaches - all along south Atlantic coast, Gulf states (Miami/Key West), Pacific coast (Santa Monica, Huntington Beach aka Surf City)
Mountains - From Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado to Granite Cliffs of Yosemite National Park in California
Glacier - Alaska, Glacier National Park in Montana
Desert landscape - Death Valley National Park in California
Unique rocky landscape - Grand Canyon National Park and Antelope Canyon in Arizona, Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah
Historical cities (and with best food to boot) - New York, San Francisco, New Orleans etc.
Museums - The Metropolitan Museum in NYC, National Gallery of Art in DC, Chicago Institute of Art, Getty Museums in So. Cal., De Young Museum in San Francisco

Americans don't need to travel to anywhere else for any sceneries or for any seasons. We have it right here. I've visited most of national parks mentioned above and they're magnificent. A lot of Americans choose to pack up an RV and drive somewhere. It's cheaper and more convenient. It's completely understandable. Some of us like traveling outside for different cultures and more historical sites/cities, but we really don't need to travel outside for sunny vacations like Brits do.  Wink  

There are lots of considerations - fuel is cheap in the US, so that would explain so much domestic travel by car on holiday. Australia also has insanely wonderful beaches and sunshine and food, and yet they travel constantly. But the distance thing seriously doesn't wash - Australians are the end of the earth. We spend 21 hours on a plane regularly to go to Europe, and 18 hours to fly to the US. It's no big disincentive to travel. There are definitely other, historic and cultural factors at play!
royalsareajoke

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: December 14, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »

Geez, what's all this American bashing today? What do Americans have anything to do with Kate's unworldliness?  Crazy

As someone who has traveled over 20 countries since 18 and over 20 states within the U.S., I think it's very understandable why Ameircans travel outside of the U.S. less than Europeans. Most European countries are no more than the size of a state in the U.S. Some are even smaller. Driving an hour or two, some Europeans would be in another country. It takes 5.5 hours to fly from coast to coast within the U.S. For 5.5 hours, I can fly to anywhere within Europe from London. The U.S. is a huge land mass and has very diverse landscape. We have a bit of everything:

Sunny sand beaches - all along south Atlantic coast, Gulf states (Miami/Key West), Pacific coast (Santa Monica, Huntington Beach aka Surf City)
Mountains - From Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado to Granite Cliffs of Yosemite National Park in California
Unique rocky landscape - Grand Canyon National Park and Antelope Canyon in Arizona, Monument Valley, Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah
Historical cities (and with best food to boot) - New York, San Francisco, New Orleans etc.
Museums - The Metropolitan Museum in NYC, National Gallery of Art in DC, Chicago Institute of Art, Getty Museums in So. Cal., De Young Museum in San Francisco

Americans don't need to travel to anywhere else for any sceneries or for any seasons. We have it right here. I've visited most of national parks mentioned above and they're magnificent. A lot of Americans choose to pack up an RV and drive somewhere. It's cheaper and more convenient. It's completely understandable. Some of us like traveling outside for different cultures and more historical sites/cities, but we really don't need to travel outside for sunny vacations like Brits do.  Wink  

There are lots of considerations - fuel is cheap in the US, so that would explain so much domestic travel by car on holiday. Australia also has insanely wonderful beaches and sunshine and food, and yet they travel constantly. But the distance thing seriously doesn't wash - Australians are the end of the earth. We spend 21 hours on a plane regularly to go to Europe, and 18 hours to fly to the US. It's no big disincentive to travel. There are definitely other, historic and cultural factors at play!

OK....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic but  fuel is cheap in the US ?? Hester, if you think fuel is cheap here I really don't want to know what it costs you where you live Wink

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
royalsareajoke

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: December 14, 2014, 03:19:41 AM »

Crap, Kate ate something ^^

I really detest seeing pictures or videos of people eating...personal thing but ....   She's absolutely totally revolting at her 'best' and this just takes it to a whole new level...

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: December 14, 2014, 03:43:05 AM »

OK....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic but  fuel is cheap in the US ?? Hester, if you think fuel is cheap here I really don't want to know what it costs you where you live Wink

I can back up Hester on this, fuel is much more expensive in Europe. If I calculate it right, it's more than two times as high as the U.S. It's 1.43 Euros per liter, which is 0.2642 gallon. That makes it 5.4 Euros, or about $7, per gallon.
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: December 14, 2014, 03:47:30 AM »

The most expensive gas prices, currently, is in Norway, where it's $2.08/liter.  So that's $8.32 a gallon. On average, people in the US are paying $0.79/liter.

There are only 25 countries where the price of gas is cheaper than it is in the US, and most of those are in either the Middle East, or Central America.

royalsareajoke

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: December 14, 2014, 03:51:55 AM »

OMG........you guys.  Yikes  I had absolutely no idea that fuel cost that much in other countries.....no idea whatsoever Blush Thanks for your answers...it's absolutely astounding to me....

periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: December 14, 2014, 03:55:09 AM »

Fuel is so revoltingly cheap here. I wish it were more expensive yes you heard right. It might incentivize us to actually do something about better mass transit options and better designed cities. Sorry off topic.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: December 14, 2014, 04:06:41 AM »

I can back up Hester on this, fuel is much more expensive in Europe. If I calculate it right, it's more than two times as high as the U.S. It's 1.43 Euros per liter, which is 0.2642 gallon. That makes it 5.4 Euros, or about $7, per gallon.

Yep - $7.50 plus a gallon in Australia ...
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: December 14, 2014, 04:15:46 AM »

I loved that it was so different in the US.  I was deeply, deeply fascinated by my neighbours, the way they used gas-powered equipment.  I loved to use garden machinery (I wasn't exactly the type to use it back home),  that had a gas engine - lawn mower, strimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower (god, I hate leaf blowers).  You fill them up like a car!  Use engine oil, gears, pull starter motors!  Brrroom brrrroom!  You can walk around with a gas bomb (fuel tank) on the end of the equipment, unsupervised and no one calls the police!  I was constantly thrilled at the novelty of it.  

You can keep bombs (containers of fuel for your equipment) at your home or in your vehicle!  As a Brit, I knew that this meant I would instantly combust in a fire ball, or die of fume inhalation and I felt shifty when I did store fuel as I didn't have experience of it.  I don't remember whether the regulations in the US about handling gas are as strict as they are in the UK, but, in my experience, Americans handle gas much more.  

Now, I think walking around a lawn with a mower with big electric cable, criss-crossing and stepping over it, is dangerous.  

Oh, yes, I remember loving filling vehicle gas tanks because of the low price.   That's why we have smaller cars in the UK/Europe (another reason being the smaller distances to drive),  I believe.
royalsareajoke

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1511 on: December 14, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »

I loved that it was so different in the US.  I was deeply, deeply fascinated by my neighbours, the way they used gas-powered equipment.  I loved to use garden machinery (I wasn't exactly they type to use it back home),  that had a gas engine - lawn mower, strimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower (god, I hate leaf blowers).  You fill them up like a car!  Use engine oil, gears, pull starter motors!  Brrroom brrrroom!  You can walk around with a gas bomb (fuel tank) on the end of the equipment, unsupervised and no one calls the police!  I was constantly thrilled at the novelty of it.  

You can keep bombs (containers of fuel for your equipment) at your home or in your vehicle!  As a Brit, I knew that this meant I would instantly combust in a fire ball, or die of fume inhalation and I felt shifty when I did store fuel as I didn't have experience of it.  I don't remember whether the regulations in the US about handling gas are as strict as they are in the UK, but, in my experience, they Americans handle gas much more.  

Now, I think walking around a lawn with a mower with big electric cable, criss-crossing and stepping over it, is dangerous.  

Oh, yes, I remember loving filling vehicle gas tanks because of the low price.   That's why we have smaller cars in the UK/Europe (another reason being the smaller distances to drive),  I believe.

It's so much fun to read your posts....loving the different viewpoints.... Champagne 

chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: December 14, 2014, 06:56:01 AM »

Aw, thanks, royalsareajoke.  Beer Yes, vive la difference!  Yes
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: December 14, 2014, 07:27:38 AM »

Wait, what lawn equipment we use in the US is a gas bomb?
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1514 on: December 14, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »

See what I mean?  So cool about it.  Say it again!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: