Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate's visit to New York  (Read 342049 times)
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: December 14, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »

Haha,  I'm serious, are you talking about gas lawn mowers?
And carrying the gas home from the gas station in a container?
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »

Yes.  Like on a strimmer, ("weed-whacker"), you pour "gas" that has been stored in your garage into the reservoir of fuel on the end, add engine oil, fiddle with the "clutch", pull the starter motor, repeat the process ad nauseam till it starts, tipping the wacker up and down as you do so, tuck the the end of with the fuel reservoir behind you at about kidney/liver level. What could go wrong?  Or take a gas-powered chain saw....

In the UK we are taught (by the fire brigade/police) that the only place to keep fuel is in the gas tank of your car (although it is legal to store a small amount within very, very restrictive circumstances, the services are very strong on advising you not to).  Anyhoo...
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1517 on: December 14, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »

Chrys,  Beer

That's so,  funny! Would never have thought it would seem dangerous to some. We store it in the garage in fire-safety approved containers and can only keep 5 gallons at a time and you usually use it quick (pick it up at the petrol/gas station on Saturday, drive it home in the trunk, fill the lawn mower up and cut grass) ! Been doing it since I could drive and me/no one I know has had a problem. 
Thanks for the interesting insight! I guess you use electric or push mowers?
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: December 14, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »

When I was growing up, a petrol mower was more likely something your grandfather might have, so electric mowers showed the latest technology for decades.  I think that, previously, where there would be a TV advert for weed killer, for example, if a petrol mower was shown, a viewer would think "Huh? Wait, where's the power cable?"  Now, not so much.  Ride-on mowers, a symbol of relative luxury, are petrol, of course, and people realise that they like the broom broom of petrol engines instead of that neeeeeeeeeeeee. But, I think that, unless they work in construction, nearly all Brits new to the States would be super-curious about gas-powered machines being the norm.  But we don't get your apparent reluctance to use plug-in kettles and proper toasters.  What's that about?
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: December 14, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »

Yes.  Like on a strimmer, ("weed-whacker"), you pour "gas" that has been stored in your garage into the reservoir of fuel on the end, add engine oil, fiddle with the "clutch", pull the starter motor, repeat the process ad nauseam till it starts, tipping the wacker up and down as you do so, tuck the the end of with the fuel reservoir behind you at about kidney/liver level. What could go wrong?  Or take a gas-powered chain saw....

In the UK we are taught (by the fire brigade/police) that the only place to keep fuel is in the gas tank of your car (although it is legal to store a small amount within very, very restrictive circumstances, the services are very strong on advising you not to).  Anyhoo...

I own a petrol lawnmower and strimmer and I regularly go to the petrol station with a container, fill it up and bring it back in the boot of my car...as do my neighbours and some of my family. It's just kept in my garage and I use it as when it's needed.  Sorry to go OT mods

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: December 14, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »

Chrys,  Beer

That's so,  funny! Would never have thought it would seem dangerous to some. We store it in the garage in fire-safety approved containers and can only keep 5 gallons at a time and you usually use it quick (pick it up at the petrol/gas station on Saturday, drive it home in the trunk, fill the lawn mower up and cut grass) ! Been doing it since I could drive and me/no one I know has had a problem. 

That's exactly what we do in the UK too, Cordtx. I have a container that I take to the garage...I have a huge garden. I wouldn't be able to use an electric lawnmower  Smiley

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
chrys
Banned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: December 14, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »

Chrys,  Beer

I think you are permitted by law to store 30 litres in the UK.  I believe that's more. 
Crawler

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »

http://www.express.co.uk/...fisherman-sexism-and-ASMR
AS watching William and Kate meet Beyonce? and Jay-Z in New York last week when the penny finally dropped.

There we all were at this hip new stadium in Brooklyn and the Cambridges looked distinctly out of place.

Suddenly they popped up on the big screen but it took them several seconds to realise, even though a man was pointing a handheld camera directly at them.

It was as they smiled awkwardly and waved in that way only royals can that it dawned on me. For all their celebrity, for all the column inches and red-carpet fever they create, for all their informality, the Cambridges aren’t cool.

Seeing them meet Mr and Mrs Carter, as Bey and Z are known maritally, felt quite uncomfortable. I was up in the nose- bleed section so couldn’t hear what they were saying but William and Kate appeared so how-do-you-do-ish I dread to think what might have happened had the rapper proffered a fist-bump.

The cringefest continued as the royal couple, last week dubbed Mr and Mrs Bland by much of the press, met basketball star LeBron James after the match.

Maybe Kate was startled by the Cleveland Cavalier player’s 6ft 8in height but she reacted to his friendly arm gesture as a young female radio researcher might an advance by Dave Lee Travis.

Perhaps it was because she isn’t “cool” with being photographed either. I spent last week in the Big Apple staring at the back of the Duchess’s head, as did most of the snappers standing for hours on end in the freezing wind and rain.

Such cold-shoulder treatment would be understandable if she was at the supermarket (no one wants the press at their Waitrose shop, except Pippa Middleton) but these were official royal engagements on behalf of the Queen. Make an effort, love, you’re part funded by the taxpayer!

The Queen Mother used to turn both ways whenever she got out of a car. Even Camilla looks straight down the lens.

What’s Kate’s excuse? I like the Duchess and honestly believe there is a great deal more to her than meets the eye but at the moment she is appearing too posh to push the envelope.

I tend to avoid comparisons with Diana, because they are different women in different times but at least the late princess understood that you cannot be all style over substance. Kate appears all baubles and no balls. That said, she could just be a slow burner. I hope she takes a leaf out of her brother-in-law’s book and grows in confidence to be herself, rather than a royal robot.

Prince Harry is the king of cool because like his mother, he appears more like one of “us”, than one of “them” thanks to his natural ability to engage with the press and public. Kate struggles with that. The chances of her coming up with so much as an aside are up there with Prince George starring in the next series of Kids Say The Funniest Things.

Is he even talking yet, I wonder? We wouldn’t know since the royal couple have kept him so under wraps the British public has not seen him since his christening more than a year ago. (Staged photographs once in a blue moon are all well and good but what about bringing him out in public occasionally?)

While we all respect their right to privacy and a family life, is it any wonder that William and Kate come across as insipid when all we get is a highly stage- managed version of their lives completely devoid of any spontaneity? It is as if they would rather nothing made it into the papers without their say-so, which is not how this royalty lark works.

After a while such control freakery backfires because the public tires of it. Perfect people tend to be rather boring William and Kate refuse to let their guard down amid a misplaced fear that they will open some imaginary set of floodgates, even though they have been going about their privileged lives largely undisturbed for years.

Hounded? That term could equally apply to the increasing number of journalists and photographers on the receiving end of complaints from their PRs and lawyers. Contradict the spin or breach their unreasonable expectations of privacy (when can a public park ever be private?) then expect a snotty missive.

Come on, Cambridges, lighten up! Or as Jay-Z might put it: be cool.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: December 14, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »

AS watching William and Kate meet Beyonce? and Jay-Z in New York last week when the penny finally dropped.

There we all were at this hip new stadium in Brooklyn and the Cambridges looked distinctly out of place.

Suddenly they popped up on the big screen but it took them several seconds to realise, even though a man was pointing a handheld camera directly at them.

It was as they smiled awkwardly and waved in that way only royals can that it dawned on me. For all their celebrity, for all the column inches and red-carpet fever they create, for all their informality, the Cambridges aren’t cool.

Seeing them meet Mr and Mrs Carter, as Bey and Z are known maritally, felt quite uncomfortable. I was up in the nose- bleed section so couldn’t hear what they were saying but William and Kate appeared so how-do-you-do-ish I dread to think what might have happened had the rapper proffered a fist-bump.

The cringefest continued as the royal couple, last week dubbed Mr and Mrs Bland by much of the press, met basketball star LeBron James after the match.

Maybe Kate was startled by the Cleveland Cavalier player’s 6ft 8in height but she reacted to his friendly arm gesture as a young female radio researcher might an advance by Dave Lee Travis.

Perhaps it was because she isn’t “cool” with being photographed either. I spent last week in the Big Apple staring at the back of the Duchess’s head, as did most of the snappers standing for hours on end in the freezing wind and rain.

Such cold-shoulder treatment would be understandable if she was at the supermarket (no one wants the press at their Waitrose shop, except Pippa Middleton) but these were official royal engagements on behalf of the Queen. Make an effort, love, you’re part funded by the taxpayer!

The Queen Mother used to turn both ways whenever she got out of a car. Even Camilla looks straight down the lens.

What’s Kate’s excuse? I like the Duchess and honestly believe there is a great deal more to her than meets the eye but at the moment she is appearing too posh to push the envelope.

I tend to avoid comparisons with Diana, because they are different women in different times but at least the late princess understood that you cannot be all style over substance. Kate appears all baubles and no balls. That said, she could just be a slow burner. I hope she takes a leaf out of her brother-in-law’s book and grows in confidence to be herself, rather than a royal robot.

Prince Harry is the king of cool because like his mother, he appears more like one of “us”, than one of “them” thanks to his natural ability to engage with the press and public. Kate struggles with that. The chances of her coming up with so much as an aside are up there with Prince George starring in the next series of Kids Say The Funniest Things.

Is he even talking yet, I wonder? We wouldn’t know since the royal couple have kept him so under wraps the British public has not seen him since his christening more than a year ago. (Staged photographs once in a blue moon are all well and good but what about bringing him out in public occasionally?)

While we all respect their right to privacy and a family life, is it any wonder that William and Kate come across as insipid when all we get is a highly stage- managed version of their lives completely devoid of any spontaneity? It is as if they would rather nothing made it into the papers without their say-so, which is not how this royalty lark works.

After a while such control freakery backfires because the public tires of it. Perfect people tend to be rather boring William and Kate refuse to let their guard down amid a misplaced fear that they will open some imaginary set of floodgates, even though they have been going about their privileged lives largely undisturbed for years.

Hounded? That term could equally apply to the increasing number of journalists and photographers on the receiving end of complaints from their PRs and lawyers. Contradict the spin or breach their unreasonable expectations of privacy (when can a public park ever be private?) then expect a snotty missive.

Good old Camilla Tominey.  Just the right amount of criticism to avoid being called controversial  Thumb up At least she managed to include a couple of snide comments...Good for her and a kick in the teeth to those psychophants who state that the Lamebridges are not taking payer funded at all. That's your little argument gone down the swanney  Smiley

royalsareajoke

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: December 14, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »

Good old Camilla Tominey.  Just the right amount of criticism to avoid being called controversial  Thumb up At least she managed to include a couple of snide comments...Good for her and a kick in the teeth to those psychophants who state that the Lamebridges are not taking payer funded at all. That's your little argument gone down the swanney  Smiley

I agree with you and isn't it quite interesting that for the first time (I think) the 'firm' has been reduced to For all their celebrity...I don't remember even she who cannot be named acting like and being treated like a z list celeb....I suppose there are different ways of interpreting that word but to me it's just clear....these two consider themselves to be celebrities....(I suppose that the younger ones do as well)....waving and smiling at their 'fans'....no heads of states that I know of have fans....supporters...detractors....but not 'fans'....this visit to NY was pointless....meeting with our president....talking about babies?Huh? Is that of world importance....is that of political significance? Even the reason that putz came turned out to be ridiculous....St. Andrews...you leave an alcoholic or married??? Yeah....a real testimonial to an old institution of learning....make a funny....which wasn't even funny....it was stupid and thoughtless. Wasteofspace hadn't any business whatsoever in tagging along....she was irritated the whole time or so it seemed....her dress and makeup were utterly inappropriate for where she was and what she was doing. To visit children in that black getup....they were expecting a princess....and for what it cost for that vapid creature to tag along they deserved to see what they in their innocence looked like a princess.....and then the memorial.
I see in the press today (CNN) that little George charms people in his Christmas getup.....Whip pointed out that these pictures were taken the end of Nov...prior to the vacay....and released right after the vacay....absolute damage control and flat out pr.....they used that baby AGAIN. I suppose they think that with the holidays we will forget their intrusion into NY at the worst possible time....I won't....I am going to write the British ambassador and the palace....I simply have to cool off so I don't come across like well....wee willy....but write I will.....this trip was a total and absolute expensive waste and imo an insult...nothing good came out of it.....wee willy with our president....wasteofspace at the memorial....then the reason for the trip ....yeah....I really want to support a uni that churns out alcoholics and marriages....place a personal add for that sort of thing....don't waste money on uni...what a waste of money/energy/resources/time/....and just so they could smile/wave/ look irritated (the puker) or make funnys and show off yellowing teeth (wee willy)....rude...arrogant...clueless...and way out of place....neither fish nor fowl.....repeat not regal...and not celebrities (those people work and support charities with their time and money)....so tell me anyone who can....what good came out of this journey to NY.....Huh??? just my thoughts....

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1525 on: December 14, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »

I agree with you, Royals  Thumb up Please let us all know the outcome of your complaint. It will be interesting to see if you get an acknowledgement.

We all knew that the George photos would come out, especially after that twitter exchange between Richard and Camilla....and to offset any criticism of their trip. The fact that they had photos taken in November is indicative of their thoughts that eyebrows might be raised regarding their reason for such an expensive trip to raise funds for a Scottish university.  I heard his speech regarding the university on Thursday morning and thought that his statement was ludicrous.  How about promoting a well rounded education preparing the graduate for a sparkling career? Oh yes of course  Halo

Lexy

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1526 on: December 14, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

I agree with you, Royals  Thumb up Please let us all know the outcome of your complaint. It will be interesting to see if you get an acknowledgement.

We all knew that the George photos would come out, especially after that twitter exchange between Richard and Camilla....and to offset any criticism of their trip. The fact that they had photos taken in November is indicative of their thoughts that eyebrows might be raised regarding their reason for such an expensive trip to raise funds for a Scottish university.  I heard his speech regarding the university on Thursday morning and thought that his statement was ludicrous.  How about promoting a well rounded education preparing the graduate for a sparkling career? Oh yes of course  Halo

What exchange between Richard and Camilla I don't think I saw it
DebbieB

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1527 on: December 14, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »

What exchange between Richard and Camilla I don't think I saw it

It's further back in this thread. Or if you have twitter you could look at Royal reporter and Camilla Tominey 's twitter exchange

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1528 on: December 14, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »

I sure hope Kannot managed to snag a sterling silver charm of NY State to put on her 'countries visited' bracelet. She could attach it next to the CA State charm. There you go. Both coasts visited, no reason to return. On to the next place she has never visited!

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Vava

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1529 on: December 14, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »

I sure hope Kannot managed to snag a sterling silver charm of NY State to put on her 'countries visited' bracelet. She could attach it next to the CA State charm. There you go. Both coasts visited, no reason to return. On to the next place she has never visited!

Pru, with all due respect, do you think she'd go for silver?  I should think she'd settle for nothing less than platinum!
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: