Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Royal Drama's and Scandals  (Read 3010 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »

At first the dramatic case of princess Mathilde of Saxony:

Princess Mathilde of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony (19 March 1863, Dresden, Saxony – 27 March 1933, Dresden, Saxony, Germany) was the third child and third-eldest daughter of George of Saxony and his wife, Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal.

As a young girl, Mathilde was quiet and gentle, but she was not especially good-looking. Her father, George of Saxony, had planned a marriage between Mathilde and Archduke Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, Hungary, and Bohemia, however Rudolf rejected this arrangement and instead married Princess Stéphanie of Belgium.

It was then agreed that Mathilde would marry a nephew of Emperor Franz Joseph I and the presumptive heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Archduke Franz Ferdinand. However, dynastic relations between the Saxon royal family and the Habsburgs were once again strained when Franz Ferdinand chose to marry morganatically Sophie Chotek, Countess of Chotkov and Vojnín. (Relations between the two nations improved only when Mathilde's younger sister Maria Josepha married her second cousin, Archduke Otto Francis.)

Mathilde became embittered by these rejections and turned critical and waspish; she also turned to alcohol to ease her unhappiness, acquiring the nickname "Schnapps-Mathilde" for obvious reasons. She made life difficult for other members of the royal family, and as a consequence was the least popular of the royals by a wide margin among the people of Saxony.

Mathilde died unmarried.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria &  Sophie Countess Chotek of Chotkov and Wognin

Sophie was a Bohemian (Czech) aristocrat from the then Kingdom of Bohemia. As a young woman, Sophie became a lady-in-waiting to the Archduchess Isabella, Duchess of Teschen, wife of Archduke Friedrich, Duke of Teschen, head of the Bohemian cadet branch of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.

It is unknown where Sophie first met Archduke Franz Ferdinand, although it may have been at a ball in Prague. Franz Ferdinand, stationed at a military garrison in Prague, paid frequent visits to Halbturn Castle, the home of Archduke Friedrich, and it was assumed that he had fallen in love with Friedrich's eldest daughter, Archduchess Marie Christine. When the liaison was discovered by Archduchess Isabella, herself only born into a mediatised Croy family, a scandal ensued.

Emperor Franz Jozef I informed Franz Ferdinand he could not marry Sophie. Franz Ferdinand refused to renounce Sophie to marry a princess and beget an heir to the throne, compounding the scandal surrounding the death and illicit affair of the emperor's previous heir Rudolf.

In 1899, under pressure from family members (especially the Archduchess Maria Theresia, the emperor's formidable sister-in-law and Franz Ferdinand's stepmother) the couple were granted permission to wed.

Franz Ferdinand was allowed to retain his place in the order of succession and a suitable title was promised for his future wife. However, to prevent Franz Ferdinand from attempting to proclaim his wife empress-queen or declaring their future children archdukes and eligible to inherit the crown (especially that of Hungary, where morganatic marriages were unknown to law) once he ascended the throne, he was compelled to appear at the Hofburg Imperial Palace before the gathered archdukes, ministers, and dignitaries of the court, the Cardinal-Archbishop of Vienna and the Primate of Hungary on 28 June 1900 to execute by signature an official instrument[5] in which he publicly declared that Sophie would be his morganatic wife,never to bear the titles of empress, queen or archduchess, and acknowledging that their descendants would neither inherit nor be granted dynastic rights or privileges in any of the Habsburg realms.

Sophie and Franz Ferdinand were married 1 July 1900 at Reichstadt (now Zákupy) in Bohemia. The Emperor did not attend the nuptials, nor did any archduke, including Franz Ferdinand's brothers. The only members of the Imperial family who were present were Franz Ferdinand's stepmother, Archduchess Maria Theresia, and her two daughters.

Upon marriage, Sophie was given the title "Princess of Hohenberg" (Fürstin von Hohenberg) with the style Her Serene Highness (Ihre Durchlaucht). In 1909 she was given the higher title "Duchess of Hohenberg" (Herzogin von Hohenberg) with the style Her Highness (Ihre Hoheit).

Nonetheless, all of the archduchesses, mediatized princesses and countesses of Austria and Hungary took precedence before her. For the 14 years of their marriage, Sophie never shared her husband's rank, title, or precedence. Her position at the Imperial court was humiliating, aggravated by the Imperial Obersthofmeister, the Prince of Montenuovo, whose insecurity about his own morganatic origin is said to have prompted him to rigorously enforce court protocol at Sophie's expense. Problems of protocol prevented many royal courts from hosting the couple despite Franz Ferdinand's position as heir to the throne. Nonetheless, some did so.

The couple had four children, princes and princesses of Hohenberg. With the eldest male child having the title Duke of Hohenberg. Offspring of the Hohenbergs would later marry into the Habsburg Royal Family. Princess Margarethe of Hohenberg, great granddaughter of Sophie, married Archduke Karl of Austria (Hungarian line). Margarethe is the daughter of prince Albrecht of Hohenberg, who is the third son of Duke Maximilian of Hohenberg (eldest son of Sophie).

In 1914 both Franz Ferdinand and Sophie were assasinated in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »

Archduchess Mathilda of Austria-Teschen

Mathilde (25 January 1849, Vienna – 6 June 1867, Schloss Hetzendorf near Vienna) was the second daughter of Archduke Albert, Duke of Teschen and Princess Hildegard of Bavaria.

Mathilde died at the age of 18 in Schloss Hetzendorf, the Viennese home of Empress Elisabeth, on 6 June 1867. The archduchess had put on a gauze dress to go to the theatre. Before leaving for the theatre, she wanted to smoke a cigarette but shortly thereafter her father, who had forbidden smoking, approached her, and she hid the cigarette behind her dress, immediately setting light to its very flammable material and giving her second and third-degree burns. Her death was witnessed by her whole family.
Cyllene

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »

Charlotte, Princess of Wales had quite the interesting life and would have been queen had she not died. The History Chicks is a good source for stories on royal ladies! http://thehistorychicks.c...incess-charlotte-of-wales
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »

Charlotte, Princess of Wales had quite the interesting life and would have been queen had she not died. The History Chicks is a good source for stories on royal ladies! http://thehistorychicks.c...incess-charlotte-of-wales

Thanks for the tip & link!  Thumb up
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »

Fabulous link, thanks heaps...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Je chante donc je suis...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »

The night of whispered confidences...  Secret

...It was one of those nights when you seem to have no niche in right scheme of things, and all the world can offer you is a silent treatment...  Sad As I paced along the eerie streets, my state of private unrest were turning swiftly into a queer metaphor. The majestic landmarks, tightly wrapped into the mantel of eternity, remained aloof and distant. I walked slowly into the Via del Sogni  Snore and  scanned the horizon for the salient, finding none... The shutters of the Castle fastened and its entrances barred, the prowling cats  reigned supreme. (Skirt-chasing mostly by the look of it).  Cool The royal guards acknowledged me briefly and carried on their futile duties.

I made straight for the waterfront where a petite figure strolled along awaiting. There was something foxy in her slinking step and pointing little face. Her shrewd eyes watched me closely as I approached.  Blink Two insomniac owls, we nodded slightly in a mutual greeting. "One day you're a spare, the next day you're a pauper..."- La Petite Fox spoke sadly without preamble. Not that any was needed. She then gave me the once-over with eyebrows raised quizzically.  Huh? "Chauffeur, Masseur and DishCollector" - I said by the way of introduction. "What an impressive range of skills, that!" - she exclaimed joyfully. Is it now, I wondered  Thinking but checked my Edwardian manners and let it pass.

"It's a tricky customer, the world is. What you wish to debate does not appear relevant. Or safe. Or smart enough. Ah, the art of staying above still fitting in, what?"- I cried out in frustration.  Sad "Never underestimate the power of clever manoeuvres, pulled off skilfully on exact time,"- she said quietly and turned to face a gentle sea breeze. "Either that or just plunge into and elbow your way through."

For a long moment we stood still, looking wistfully at the sombre Castle. "Fancy rejoining the crowd?"- I wondered casually. "Well, what do you think I'm hanging about for?"  Blush "Then why in the world..?"- I began somewhat confused. "It is possible to find the prince of your dream and lose the purpose of your journey, man... And before long love, too, runs off and out. You're getting the angle?" Hmmm...  Thinking "Look, I don't mean to pry, but... Was there a lot of beige and dim in your marriage?" - I went on. "Even the finest wine will taste dull if you drink it with every meal". If so you tell me Ma'am. "And now other people running the show..."- I pointed out, needless as it was. "The Zilch person you mean?  Blink Oh, it's mainly for a window dressing... till the Days of Sweet Hedgehog, if then. Though I privately doubt it." There it was! "And your second enterprise?" - I ventured further. "Leave be!" - the Fox looked clearly dismayed.  Angry So much for shared confidences... Confused  "There're things in life that do not go down the way you've planned them to. In case you haven't noticed, Mister!" - she retorted with some gusto. Honest to God, I have. Both inside and outside of pecking order... To say nothing of being upstaged and dismissed...  Sad

...It began to rain. We've swapped around all the grievances, but it didn't right the wrong... To end the encounter in a dashing social elegance, we had to exhaust the topic in clever ways... "Looking forward to your next fruition Ma'am!"- I said with an air of a farewell. "I wouldn't rule it out!" - she stated queenly. "And Madame?" "Yes?" "Kein Schnaps f?r Freddy-Junge pretty please? Whatever splendid future holds..." I delivered the parting shot in my best cavalier fashion and flushed slightly.  Blush "You... plotting fleur!" - pointing her jewelled forefinger at me, the Fox smiled nicely for the first time.  Smiley As the nocturnal life went by, her slender figure blended into blue-night mist and in a few moments she was gone...

...I thought of Passing acquaintances, Troubled waters, Wounded prides, Strange triangles, Broken flowers, Lost allures, Altered faces, Spineless regents, Noble darlings, Cheap tiaras, Distant thrones... I knew I could pick any thread I wish, but could I stitch together a happy fairy-tale?

..."Your morning coffee Sir!" I opened my eyes into a sunbath of the day...  Cool Hold a sec! What coffee? Thinking  I don't drink coffee, morning or otherwise. On second thought... act out of the box... go an extra mile... wash, recycle and give out... sum up and pocket  the difference... go back to your corner... chew it over...  Secret

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »

The Discretion of the Well Bred...

...It was another freshly fine morning on the landscaped beach.  Cool My social diary not being exactly a dream start-up, Sad I craved for privacy. A crowd of noisy SmartPhones poked around with the attention seeking technique taken to a whole new level. (Some sight-seeing fanatics knowing all the answers, to be sure.  Roll Eyes) Annoyed, I set off deeper inland and after a pleasant walk emerged out of the woods. The soft morning air was fragrant with the scent of rich cornflowers. I advanced to a neatly cut hedge. A composed, intelligent lady with a benign face bordering on the eminent sat on a bench reading. Years and habits had played their tricks on her with a cruel honesty. No grumpy cats of consequence around, though... "What a glorious retreat you've got in here Madame! So cosy and nice! But perhaps I'm intruding?"- I asked cautiously.  Confused "Not at all young man, not at all. Hop over and make a clean breast of it, will you?"- the Lady encouraged me with complacence only to be met with in royal circles. I needed no second bidding...

"So what is your battle old boy?"- she asked me in a disarming manner. (Eh bien Vieille Pomme, je ne roule pas sur l?or, mais...) "Red herring, wild-goose and overprized frustration..."- I confessed.  Blush "Oh well. There's your master plan of course. And then there're people. The true and only obstacles..." Indeed. Angry  Not knowing the etiquette of a casual royal chatter, I wondered if I should inquire after Her nearest-n-dearest. Thinking  "Ach, everything boils down to gems and pearls, you see. Never fail to grasp more they bargained for. Hochwohlgeboren or not." I quite liked her uncompromised style, happy if unkempt.  Smiley On the other hand, Her fiercely guarded vault's got more than enough to addle anyone's wits. "Speaking of the Hochwohlgeboren on the snowy downhill Your Honour..."- I picked up conversationally. "Oh, it's his style and upbringing all right! Some mentors!" - she shook her head in disapproval and sighed. "Pity we couldn't ask for a decent refund". I did sympathize with that. Big money well parked cannot be un-parked. Whichever way you slice it... Blink

...A mild offshore wind whispered through the leaves its soothing 'seen-it-all' -story. A bird of peculiar rarity above was shopping around for stepping-stones to a fatter food chain. "Well, duty calls, all great and dandy. Heading off to my public display. Jokers, Snobs, Consumerists - that sort of folk. Tedious business, but can't be helped.  Crap "- the Lady announced in her low-pitched voice and rang a tiny bell. A house-proud if slightly dotty superintendent  Blink had jumped out from round corners, as was his wont... The Lady ignored him for a while. She was about to grant me the benefit of Her wisdom at last. "Never ride your high horses with people you don't know... For that matter, always hold your assets out of banks!"- was Her magnanimous advice.  Whistle "Yours ever sincerely, My Lady..." - I bowed in a humble affection. Suddenly, a sense of a strong premonition had washed over me... "Your Grace..."- I hesitated. "Yes, what is it?" "Please stay with us a lifetime longer..." She glanced calmly into a distance. "We can break all the laws of probability, but there's only so much charm in a last year stew... however re-spiced and re-heated..." My Lady pronounced the verdict in her refined accent and left me to brave the elements...

...I prayed for the majestic design not to run its course, For a kingfisher to be kept at bay, For the figure of fascination and the privilege of rank soon to appear, For the speedy date with destiny to occur, and For the balancing act of beauty and goodness to bless us all... Smiley

...Every cloud has a silver lining... Perhaps. But the bigger they are the harder they fall...  Secret

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:16:24 AM »

Gate-Crushing a Power Point Soiree or The Ultimate Royal Challenge...

...If you can't escape your royal fascinations, take them into your dreams and let their grand stories merge with yours...

...As luck would have it, the approaching Grand Soiree was one step ahead of schedule. Short of becoming a nobleman, I was hard-pressed to attend... The Castle with its floral overkill ruled the hill of the setting sun. Foolish not a bit, I cracked down the first line of defence and went through the entrance in a flash.  Connie The Goth-styled Gatekeeper looked the other way, a yes-man as he was.  Whistle A sturdy Herr Ober, well accustomed to social subversion of the etranges charmants, had ushered me upfront and upstairs. I perused closely the royal set. The High Tribe of the Alpha-Providers consisted of Hedonists, Nihilists and Protagonists, all widely known for their smarts. Wink Nondescript Third Wheels held back their true worth... Holly Cows and Aunties Sally pulled off some fancy checkered frocks, whose sartorial fame way exceeded their actual cost. On the far sight of paradise a gang of aging Peers were playing MG-cards close to their chests.  Secret Smug vibes, voices of dissent, gems and dominations, faded wallpapers, groovy lampshades among gaily coloured Statists ran amok and clicked castanets. Madre de Dios! "Had anyone mentioned our Mary as yet?"- asked some toxic Worshipper, lost sans subtitles. (Damn, you beat me to it, Madame!)  Angry And still, there was something wrong with our fellowship and our brotherhood...  Thinking "Injured vanity?"- suggested an obscure Keyboard Warrior. Hmm... I didn't like that part. "So what's the game?"- I asked a passing Matinee Idol. "Why, we're having fun!" Vous dites? - I scratched my head over. Thinking Um... right...

Backstage, a fretful Patrician that beamed good will and magnitude, was floating upon His pipe dreams.  Snore "Good Sir, you're breaking the First Law of Gravity if I am any judge." "Et alors? We're above such trivialities!" - He stated simply but condescended from an azalea bush. "Have we met before by any fluke?"- He asked me jovially. "I used to trace the cycles and sweep your backyards, Sir."  Blink "Ah, I thought you look the part. Care for a quickie?"- He offered me His pipe in a rare gesture of shared fraternity. I inhaled some funny smelling fume. Its delicious herbal flavour made my head spinning,  Crazy but we were not exactly feeding pigeons here, right? Come to think of it... "What are we smoking?" - I inquired happily. "You don't want to know." (Well, tell it to the judge...)  

Some unchaperoned Missus with a tight budget and a breach of taste was sticking out of decorum. (A bogus aristocrat, likely as not.) "Another starving nars... eh-h... attention wh... eh-h... seeker," - my host indulged predictably in a scornful smile. "Your Mighty, you're not advocating the MatroEthics here, are you?"  Shocked Alarmed, I hastily looked around. "Stuff and nonsense!  Whistle It's my hygienist who's a casual part timer. Moi, I'm all for gals. But it doesn't hurt to spank them when a proper such is due. Though personally I'd prefer... but never mind that."  Blush Desperate for safer terrains, I tried another opening: "Ever had an overdraft, Sir?" "Oh well, the tizzy people get into... you'd be surprised! But gold will rally, give or take..."

The night was falling clear and crisp. The purple sky was turning into a sparkling blanket in style and twilight... The world was getting chilly and distant. I sensed a changing narrative and rearranged my demeanour into a matching sobriety. Soon enough, the Patrician and I were deep in existential talk: "...People create myths and legends that suit them best. Then they desperately twist the reality to make it fit..." (Had anyone mentioned our Mary as yet?) Smiley  "There will be temptations, occasional falling off the wagon, ego wounded and ego stroked, but stick to your prime and play the field just the same, my boy. Evolve your immunity to people, ambitions, fluent tongues and pecking battles all around you. Build up your own tower and never allow your magic-lantern fade. Remember, one ginger shot can be too many even for the most impeccable pedigree..."  Blink

...Somewhere in the ocean an anxious seagull let out a piercing cry, warning of the approaching thunder... All was forgotten and forgiven...  Hug "I've enjoyed a lot the novelty of your company fellah... even if our ideas did not always coincide," - the Patrician spoke graciously, ever the Gentleman. We then swapped the numbers, shook hands and sallied forth...

...In the absence of glory and gloss, talk and act for most smashing effect.  Flowers Take your refuge in glamour - or pride - but keep your boat steaming. For if dreams were horses, beggars would ride...

PS Never mind my bold inspiration and all the jig that followed.  Blush That's the parting tale of a perpetual stranger for you...  Sad No farewell speeches (whom to I wonder?), no bullet lines shot from the hip, no cryptic wording to consider and digest... So please be kind, keep your powder dry and all your assets liquid...  Cool

PS Having said my little piece, I log out and I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoWppz53WA

Melville Davisson Post
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: