Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Middleton News & Photos  (Read 335050 times)
DebbieB

Humongous Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #2040 on: January 28, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »

Another guessing game article is in the DM about Pip's wedding plans.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4165460/Welcome-Pippa-Middleton-s-wedding-year.html

I don't know why there is another one. And so close to the release of Uncle G's 1st wedding video starring his nieces too. The last few stories about the event were just as boring. Is DM trying to gauge interest in the non-royal wedding and determine if they need to put it on their reporter's schedule?
 Crazy

Pru considering Carole has had the DM in her back pocket for so long it would be very surprising to me if they didn't cover this wedding.  It may be the closest thing they get to a royal wedding all year.  And it's only "royal" by proxy in that her sister and family will show up.  Still wondering about how much participation the Cambridge's will offer in the nuptials.  Any guesses on how much it's going to cost to shut down Bucklebury for the reception in security costs?
As is obvious from my posting history, I'm totally against the concept of inherited privilege and position, and whilst having nothing against any of them as individuals, I would happily do away with all royal families.

However... the reality is they're here, and whilst they are, their security has to be paid for whether I like it or not. Kate's sister is getting married in her family's home parish church and it's the most natural thing in the world that Kate and her family be at the wedding and that definitely George and possibly Charlotte be pageboy/flower girl. William was pageboy at his Uncle Andrew's wedding as Harry was at his Uncle Charles Spencer's wedding.

They're going to be there, and wherever they go, they'll have security, and that costs.

For private functions they should pay out of their own pocket.

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her bestó you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2041 on: January 29, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »

The road in front of their property will be closed to traffic and entrance to it staffed by police. The road will become a parking area for the event. Adjacent roads are another concern. If I was a neighbor, I'd be taking a room out of town for that weekend: nice hotel with in-room movies and video games, swimming pool for self and the kids, spa for the adults, good restaurants in walking distance, maybe the museums if kids are older.

Pip's parents must be really intent on showing off their property to host the reception for the wedding. A hired facility would take so much pressure off the local police, the neighbors and guests. It makes no sense and puts a great deal of pressure on local police and personal protection security for the bride's sister and her family.

Things ain't what they used to be and never were.
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2042 on: February 04, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

A reliable source Emily?

Emily Andrews ‏@byEmilyAndrews  13h
No Mustique for #Kate, Wills, George & Charlotte (or Pippa) this year. Carole & Mike have been there though for Carole's 62nd bday

Things ain't what they used to be and never were.
gudgeon

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2043 on: February 05, 2017, 01:51:26 AM »

A reliable source Emily?

No Mustique for #Kate, Wills, George & Charlotte (or Pippa) this year. Carole & Mike have been there though for Carole's 62nd bday

They have probably just (secretly) gone to whatever island or hotel that Pippster's Mr. Terribly Rich's family owns. You'd think the freebie resort would be the new Mustique...

My adventures in baking: http://bakedtoorder.blogspot.com/ 
DuchyDiva

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2044 on: February 05, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »

The road in front of their property will be closed to traffic and entrance to it staffed by police. The road will become a parking area for the event. Adjacent roads are another concern. If I was a neighbor, I'd be taking a room out of town for that weekend: nice hotel with in-room movies and video games, swimming pool for self and the kids, spa for the adults, good restaurants in walking distance, maybe the museums if kids are older.

Pip's parents must be really intent on showing off their property to host the reception for the wedding. A hired facility would take so much pressure off the local police, the neighbors and guests. It makes no sense and puts a great deal of pressure on local police and personal protection security for the bride's sister and her family.

Seriously? That isn't going to be a popular move with locals! It's a through road - they're so up themselves, it's unbelievable.
MidnightDiamond

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2045 on: February 05, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »

A reliable source Emily?

Emily gets her "scoops" from fan-fiction, lol so no. But I think they didn't go because they had to pay for part of the wedding or they went somewhere else.
Margaret

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2046 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »

If I was a neighbour and they tried to inconvenience me like this and expect me to put up with it because they are speshul snowflakes, I'd stay at home and make a fuss in a childish manner and make a pest of myself.  I'd shout at anyone who parked outside my gate or obstructed my coming and going in any way, and if anyone told me I couldn't use the road I would insist on production of written confirmation from the relevant authority.  If they couldn't produce anything and basically just told me to yield to my 'betters", I'd get really snakey and play loud country music.  I get really cheesed off when someone thinks they have the right to interfere with my enjoyment of my home.   I have experience.  Where I used to live, a film crew was shooting scenes from a movie in the house across the road.  For about a week the damn film-makers parked huge vehicles in front of our fence and interfered with us driving along the street, and had bright lights shining outside at night.  They didn't make contact with us in advance or offer any apologies.  They didn't block our driveway completely but they made it darn hard to drive in and out.   I introduced them to some of my favourite music while they were filming outside.  I can be childish like that if pushed.  How dare they, and how dare these Middletons!

minimoos

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #2047 on: February 06, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »

If I was a neighbour and they tried to inconvenience me like this and expect me to put up with it because they are speshul snowflakes, I'd stay at home and make a fuss in a childish manner and make a pest of myself.  I'd shout at anyone who parked outside my gate or obstructed my coming and going in any way, and if anyone told me I couldn't use the road I would insist on production of written confirmation from the relevant authority.  If they couldn't produce anything and basically just told me to yield to my 'betters", I'd get really snakey and play loud country music.  I get really cheesed off when someone thinks they have the right to interfere with my enjoyment of my home.   I have experience.  Where I used to live, a film crew was shooting scenes from a movie in the house across the road.  For about a week the damn film-makers parked huge vehicles in front of our fence and interfered with us driving along the street, and had bright lights shining outside at night.  They didn't make contact with us in advance or offer any apologies.  They didn't block our driveway completely but they made it darn hard to drive in and out.   I introduced them to some of my favourite music while they were filming outside.  I can be childish like that if pushed.  How dare they, and how dare these Middletons!

When Bye Bye Man was filming at my place of employment, it was the same. I'm not sure if they arrived and weren't happy with the arrangements, or if our organization is just horrible with communication, but they completely took over parts of our buildings- and it seemed to get worse throughout the day. (Their staging area/costumes/etc were in one of the upper floors of one building and they were filming in one of the middle floors of the other- the buildings are connected via an underground walkway/corridor/tunnel. They commandeered one of two staff elevators, and eventually were doing makeup touch-ups in our lobby and using the auditorium as well. Again, that may have been what was arranged with our administration/board of directors and not communicated with staff- that isn't unusual for us!) At one point, I got an elevator door shut in my face, and then when I did get on one with the crew, it was clear they were unhappy they had to go up another few floors so I could go to the cafeteria for lunch instead of having the elevator to themselves.    Thumb down
royalsareajoke

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #2048 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »

You, Margaret are my kind of gal   Star Star Star I have been known to make my husband and son very  Nerves Nerves at times when I'm treated as a lesser being. I might just let my little dogs bark their heads off, turn the sprinklers in a direction that might 'inconvenience' them, throw a big hill billy bbq complete with horns and party hats (not from their business), accidentally let things roll into the road and when retrieving them let my hair do its wild thing and be dressed in a ragged bathrobe. Being the ever so polite person that I am I would feel compelled to flash a toothless smile at all the people, and if I had an itch scratch it. Exactly spot on the bolded part of your comment.

I will always stand for our National Anthem, and I will always serve Under God.
OrangeOrchids

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #2049 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »

They might very well invite the neighbors. Have them hobb knob with the royals, so they can't complain about the intrusion of their right of having proper road access.
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2050 on: February 13, 2017, 04:00:57 AM »

I can't see Ma inviting the peasants. Much too common to be that close to her; besides they would bend the grass. 
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Not too crazy about Snarkle

Ignore
« Reply #2051 on: March 07, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »

Not much news as it is an old article but I always find it intriguing how the whole social climbing thing came from Kate's grandma who seemed to have been a regular Hyacinth Bucket...

http://www.telegraph.co.u...o-took-pole-position.html

"Known as Lady Dorothy to relatives because ?she always wanted to be the top brick in the chimney?, Dorothy was fanatical about keeping up appearances and raising her two children, Carole and Gary, for a better life.
Although Dorothy and Ronald began married life living with Ron?s mother in a condemned flat in Southall, in west London, Dorothy made sure that baby Carole had a Silver Cross pram, the Rolls-Royce of infant transport. It was a pram fit for a princess, and Carole duly grew up with ideas above her station. "

I've found other stuff on grandma Dorothy elsewhere but before discussing it any further, I thought I'd ask if this is something that can be discussed and if people might find this interesting?

Snarkle doing charity
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2052 on: March 07, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »

I'd think so...? After all, it had a direct effect on the current state of affairs. Grandma Hyacinth must be beaming in the afterlife.

(did you see the nudge with the author using "keeping up appearances?"? subtle as a brick through a window  )

Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2053 on: March 07, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

LOL yes!  There's another article I found but DM has already removed it from the internet. I found it cached and most of the stuff is boring old same old about Kate but there are bits and pieces of her family too. I never knew that her parents aren't exactly "self-made millionaires" in the sense that her dad already had some money beforehand, a trust fund.

Quote from: DM
At the heart of this exceptional success story are two powerful matriarchs: Kate's late great-grandmother Edith Goldsmith, an indomitable widow who passed on to her six children the merits of hard work, and grandmother Dorothy Goldsmith, known in the family as 'Lady' Dorothy, who, helped by the family's building business, devoted her life to the pursuit of prosperity, property and respectability.

Dorothy, in turn, passed on her drive and ambition to her daughter Carole, Kate's mother. It was Carole, a former air hostess, who finally cemented the family's precarious social status by marrying into the middle class and steering Kate and her sister Pippa through private schools and university into London's famously exclusive social elite.

Kate's family story begins in a small terrace house in Clarence Street, Southall, where Edith and her labourer husband Stephen raised six children. The youngest was Ronald, Kate's grandfather, who was born on April 25, 1931.

Southall is now a predominantly Asian area but back then was a white working-class suburb that provided labour for huge factories, railway depots and engineering works. Life was a struggle for the Goldsmiths. Stephen had been posted to France during the First World War and returned home with crippling emphysema that meant he had to abandon his manual work shifting household coal in favour of a factory job.

When Stephen died in 1938, he was just 51 but his four oldest children had already left school and moved out of the family home, and Edith was left to bring up their two youngest children, Ronald and Joyce, on her own.

Forced by penury to move to a condemned flat in nearby Dudley Road, and go out to work on the production line at Ticklers jam factory in Southall to make ends meet, Edith farmed out Ronald, then only six, and Joyce, then 13, to their elder sisters Alice and Ede while she went to work.

Edith was a tough, bird-like woman who smoked 20 Woodbines a day and used to send her daughters to the local pub in the evening for a jug of stout and ten cigarettes. She never really managed to escape her impoverished roots but ruled her family with a rod of iron and instilled in her children a resourcefulness and refusal to be beaten.

Alice, now 96, is the only one of the six Goldsmith children still alive. Today, she lives in her own flat in Uxbridge, Middlesex. Alice tells how she left the Goldsmith family home in 1929, nine years before her father died, to marry her husband Bill, a haulage driver. She remembers how tough life was.

"My mum had to work hard to bring us all up," she says. "She wasn't a bad lady but she had a temper. You only had to say one word and she would take her shoes off and throw them at you. She liked a drink and smoked but who could blame her with what she had to put up with. In those days everybody was hard up."

Life was hard too for Alice's own family but as Bill's haulage company prospered they made progress and they were able to send their daughters Pat and Linda to grammar school.

Pat, now 74, later worked for the BBC while her late husband Roy Charmanwas in films and won an Oscar for his soundwork on the Indiana Jones movie Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Pat still lives around the corner from her mother and says: "We were a very close family. During the war, when the men were in the Army, we had nothing. At Christmas we used to get together at Aunt Ede's house or my mum's house and they would pool whatever food they had.

"We used to play charades. Ede was great at playing the piano. I can see her now in my mind's eye playing Roll Out The Barrel."

She recalls her grandmother Edith's flat in Dudley Road. "In the corner of the kitchenette there was one of those old-fashioned boilers. Edith used to put coal in it. All the washing went in it and she used to do the Christmas puddings there as well. The lavatory was in the same room. It had a wooden seat with a bowl in it. I hated going to the loo there."
Kate's grandfather Ron was brought up in that same flat. "I was already married when Ron was born," says Alice.
"I had quite a lot to do with him. I used to have my daughter Pat at one end of the pram and Ron the other. I used to take the two out and people would say, "Oh, you've got two children." But Ron was my brother. I always had him with me. And then he worked for my husband. He was a lovely child and a lovely man."

Like his brothers and sisters, Ron left school at the age of 14, in 1945. After driving lorries for Bill he started his own business as a builder. He was 22 when he married 18-year-old Dorothy Harrison, a shop assistant, on August 8, 1953, at the Parish Church of Holy Trinity, Southall. They held their modest reception at the local pub, The Hamborough Tavern.

Snarkle doing charity
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2054 on: March 07, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

Here's the second part with some interesting details:

Quote from: DM
Dorothy always took a great deal of pride in her appearance but she and Ron were so poor she had to borrow her going-away outfit from Ron's sister Joyce. After their marriage Ron and Dorothy squeezed into the Goldsmith family's Dudley Road flat and Kate's mother Carole was born there in 1955.

Being poor did not suit Dorothy. She had grown up in a run-down street in Southall. Her father Thomas Harrison - Kate's other grandfather - was a carpenter. He had moved the family to London from the Durham coalfields when Dorothy was just a child. It was the Thirties and Dorothy was apparently appalled by the tales she heard of destitution in the North East.

Perhaps it was these stories that inspired her always to strive for the best. Certainly, by the time she was Ron's young ambitious wife, she became well known for her passion for style.

Ron's niece Ann Terry - his sister Joyce's daughter - got to know Dorothy when they worked together in a jewellery shop. Ann, now 60, says: "Dorothy's father was a dapper little man with a small moustache, who had a small-holding where he kept chickens. His wife Elizabeth was all right, too. They were just ordinary people with nothing to be snobbish about.

"I don't know where Dorothy got her airs and graces from. She always thought she was one cut above everybody else. Dorothy learnt her trade from me. She was a good saleswoman but she was a bit of a snob. The whole family used to call her Lady Dorothy."

She isn't the only one to question Dorothy's pretensions. Alice's daughter Pat adds: "Dorothy went to a secondary-modern school. They lived on one of the most scruffy streets in Southall. As my mum would say, she didn't have a pair of knickers to her name.

"After she and Ronald got married, they lived with my granny Edith until my dad helped them get a deposit for their first home. Dorothy had the biggest Silver Cross pram you have ever seen after Carole was born. It had to be carried up and down the stairs.

"My grandmother used to grumble about Dorothy because she used to hen-peck her Ronald. She always wanted more and more money. She wanted to be the top brick in the chimney. She was too good for the rest of us."

For the next decade, Dorothy and Ron moved up the social ladder, first moving out of the flat to a council flat, then buying their own small flat with financial help from Ron's successful brother-in-law Bill.

But it was not until 1966 when Carole was 11 - a year after the birth of her brother Gary - that they moved into their first proper family home, in Kingsbridge Road, Norwood Green, the posh end of Southall. The family lived there for 25 years until the children left home.

By the time he moved into Kingsbridge Road, Ron had plucked up the courage to leave Bill's haulage firm to set up in business as a builder on his own while Dorothy, by then middle-aged, earned pin money at Collingwood Jewellers, in Hounslow High Street, where her niece Ann was the manager.

Carole, meanwhile, worked at C&A as a Saturday girl while she was still at school.

While Dorothy's social ambitions set her apart from the rest of her family, her 'Lady' Dorothy nickname was regarded as a bit of a leg-pull until 1978.

That was the year Dorothy fell out with Alice and haulier Bill, the brother and sister-in-law who had been so kind to her in the early years of her marriage.

Pat says it was a lifelong rift. "Dad was staying with me while my mother went on holiday for a break," she says. "He wasn't feeling well. But he said he was going to drive down to have a cup of tea with Young Ronnie - he always called him that.

"But he was back in about half an hour and his face was really sad. He told me, 'When I got there, Dorothy said, "We are just going out shopping. You can't come in. You will have to come back this evening."'

"It was really sad because my dad was dying then. I said to him, 'Dad, look at you. You can't go over there tonight. You've got to go to bed.'
"So that was it. He died a couple of weeks later. My mum never forgave Dorothy and Ron. She wouldn't have them at the funeral."

The rift was so bad that the only members of the family invited to Carole's wedding in 1980 were Joyce and Ann.

Carole Goldsmith's marriage to Michael Middleton was, in a sense, the culmination of all that Dorothy had set out to achieve. Carole was working as an air stewardess at the airline BOAC when she fell in love with Michael, a fellow steward five years her senior.

Michael was the solidly middle-class son of a flying instructor, who went on to train as a pilot himself. Able to trace his lineage back through his grandmother Olive Lupton - whose husband Richard Middleton of Leeds had a woollen mill - to the Tudor courtier Sir Thomas Fairfax, he would surely have delighted his new mother-in-law.

Their wedding at the church of St James the Less in Dorney, Buckinghamshire, on June 21, 1980, was a very different affair from Dorothy's. For her daughter, there would be no reception in the local pub and borrowed going-away outfit. She organised a wedding fit for a princess, complete with horse and carriage.

"I went to Carole's wedding with my mum Joyce," says Ann. "My husband was not invited because he was considered too common. She had a beautiful dress and four bridesmaids. There was even a horse and carriage. Afterwards they held their reception in a local manor house."

Two years later, on January 9, 1982, Carole gave birth to her daughter Kate - five months before the birth of Prince William. Kate's sister Pippa was born in 1983 and brother James followed in 1987.

The same year, Carole and Michael launched their successful mail-order party-planning company Party Pieces.

The rise of the internet helped them make it more profitable and they could soon afford to buy a five-bedroom detached house in the village of Bucklebury, near Newbury in Berkshire, and send their children to top public school Marlborough. From there Kate went to St Andrews where she met William.

Tough and uncompromising women they may have been, yet without Edith and Dorothy's aspirations for a better life and the drive to realise their dreams, Kate would probably never even have met Prince William, let alone been at home in his apartments at Clarence House.
For all the ups and downs of this colourful family, the pooling of genes of the middle-class Middletons and the determination and energy of the Goldsmiths have created one of the most eligible of girls in Kate Middleton, the great-granddaughter of a labourer now regularly spoken of as a future Queen of England.

I don't know how "ambitious genes" can be of any help to poor George. Unless his ambition is to work harder than his parents ever have.

I know Kate's grandma would've been proud as ever seeing this happen:  Roll Eyes

Snarkle doing charity
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: