Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots  (Read 15426 times)
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:49 AM »

Mary Queen of Scots defying Elizabeth I   
http://www.alamy.com/mary...tration-image6549325.html
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 04:05:35 AM »

Who initially arranged for Mary to possibly marry King Henry VIII's son, Prince Edward?
Celia

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »

Henry VIII.  You should read Antonia Fraser's terrific biography of MQS. Her last few childhood years in Scotland are referred to as "England's Rough Wooing."
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 03:36:05 AM »

Henry VIII.  You should read Antonia Fraser's terrific biography of MQS. Her last few childhood years in Scotland are referred to as "England's Rough Wooing."

Celia, Thank you for the book suggestion.  Smiley Smiley
Freefun2222

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »

Her second husband also had a claim to the British throne.  He was also a grandchild of Margaret Tudor.  Her biggest mistake after having her son, and having her husband murdered.  Was marrying the third husband the man who murdered her second husband.  She had twin stillborn daughters from this marriage.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2019, 03:28:06 AM »

Her second husband also had a claim to the British throne.  He was also a grandchild of Margaret Tudor.  Her biggest mistake after having her son, and having her husband murdered.  Was marrying the third husband the man who murdered her second husband.  She had twin stillborn daughters from this marriage.

In what year were the twin daughters born?
Freefun2222

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »

July 24th, 1567 Claude Nau reported she miscarried twins.  May 1567 she married James Hepburn 12 weeks after her second husband was murdered.  Her son gave the lords an excuse to force her to abdicate and get rid of her. Being stupid enough to marry the man who killed her husband lost her throne, her getting involved in a plot to kill Elizabeth lost her head.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2019, 03:46:34 AM »

July 24th, 1567 Claude Nau reported she miscarried twins.  May 1567 she married James Hepburn 12 weeks after her second husband was murdered.  Her son gave the lords an excuse to force her to abdicate and get rid of her. Being stupid enough to marry the man who killed her husband lost her throne, her getting involved in a plot to kill Elizabeth lost her head.

Freefun2222, Thank you for the July 24th, 1567 date.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »

https://www.rmg.co.uk/dis...ism-portraits-elizabeth-i

Interesting story on the symbolism in Elizabeth I portraits

Analysing the symbolism in the Armada Portrait
Pearls
Pearls symbolise Elizabethís chastity and connect her to Cynthia, the Greek goddess of the Moon, who was a virgin and therefore seen as 'pure'.

Mermaid
Mermaids tempt sailors and then ruin them, so the inclusion of a mermaid here could show Elizabethís might against the Spanish seamen.

Globe
The Globe represents Englandís striving for imperial power in the Americas. In the painting, Elizabeth is pointing to Virginia, which was named after her.

Hair, ruff, and embroidery
The circle of ruff extends from Elizabethís face like the Sunís rays. She is shown as the centre and source of warmth, beauty, and goodness.

Colour scheme
Black and white was Elizabethís key colour scheme and symbolise chastity and constancy.

Sea scenes
In the Armada Portrait, Elizabeth faces toward the calm seas on her right and turns away from the stormy waters where the Spanish ships are floundering. She is positioned as a calm force for good, in contrast with the chaos of Catholic Europe.

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 03:33:16 AM »

Queen Elizabeth I had many royal suitors who were Catholic. They were King Philip II of Spain, Archduke Charles of Austria, Henry, Duke of Anjou and Francois, Duke of Alencon. Did Elizabeth reject them because they were Catholic?
Celia

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »

She played them along the way she played everyone.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2019, 03:18:40 AM »

William Shakespeare recited a work before the court of Queen Elizabeth I   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/51239265
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2019, 02:51:35 AM »

After she became the Queen Regnant, did Elizabeth I give any of her Boleyn relatives a position at court?
Celia

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

Yes indeed.  The Careys hung out with her (related through her aunt Mary).  I don't think it was entirely successful, though. 
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »

In December 1559 the English envoys reported that Queen Mary of France and her mother-in-law Queen Catherine listened daily to a sermon in the chapel, or in their mutual dining chamber.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: