Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William & Kate News IV  (Read 1119483 times)
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5655 on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »

But not all mental illnesses affect a person in such a way that they are not competent to make legally binding decisions of this sort for themselves.  I tend to think that if this young woman's ability to consent to the interview would have been carefully considered by her doctors/counsellors before it went ahead.  I think she is very brave to do the interview and that it may have given a big boost to her sense of personal agency and self-confidence to do something that could help other young people with similiar problems.   

I'm no fan of William or Kate but if they can make a difference to help improve the lives of young people with mental illnesses, they deserve credit for it.

I agree. They do deserve credit for it IF they actually help improve lives. But they don't. It was just their usual visit. There was nothing that showed they actually care beyond turning up being photographed while making some small talk or trying to look interested and leaving again with a new entry in the CC. Of course people are exited that they visit, that suddenly the national media turns up and for some it will be if not life changing than at least give them a boost in their struggle against mental illness. But that's nothing Will or Kate did. They could have send any other A-list celeb and the achievement would have been the same. Will and Kate are replaceable because they never showed they really cared.

Unless they show real dedication, are prepared, make informed speeches, go out of their way to help, do something even if it doesn't get much media attention just because it is right to do or needs to be done, work even if it isn't counted in the CC, bring attention to that topic on a regular basis and not just when they need good PR because the next vacation/kitchen/magic HG/tennis court alteration is coming and stay with that topic for more than just a few months I will give them credit. Until then I don't. JMO
Crawler

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5656 on: January 19, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »

But not all mental illnesses affect a person in such a way that they are not competent to make legally binding decisions of this sort for themselves.  I tend to think that if this young woman's ability to consent to the interview would have been carefully considered by her doctors/counsellors before it went ahead.  I think she is very brave to do the interview and that it may have given a big boost to her sense of personal agency and self-confidence to do something that could help other young people with similiar problems.   

I'm no fan of William or Kate but if they can make a difference to help improve the lives of young people with mental illnesses, they deserve credit for it.

Her mental illness is that she hears voices in her head talking to her. I think they chose the wrong person to gain some PR. I don't think W&K have brought anymore interest to childrens mental health and one hour is not enough time to help anyone. She was put in the meeting with W&K because her problems are apparently being controlled. IMO they are exploiting childrens mental health problems.

They have not devoted much time to this years cause which is an indication of pretense instead of caring.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5657 on: January 19, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »

This is what the DM has as their top story

http://www.dailymail.co.u...n-meet-Norfolk-Court.html

Kate and the Turnip Toffs: They're mega rich, mega posh, with homes that make Kensington Palace look bijou - and tantalisingly intertwined lives. As Kate and Wills turn their backs on London, meet their oh-so-glam Norfolk Court

they ran this once before.  Dead

I nearly spat my earl grey out seeing this tosh this morning. Went straight to the comments  Angel

So did i! I didnt even read the drivel they had written in the article. Secret

So Kate's got all these Norfolk based women friends, friends who come over to hang out and play tennis, yet we never see her out with one of them.  Doing things friends do, like her shopping obsession or just having lunch.  They know Norfolk, they could introduce Kate to a local bistro and have a girls day out.  But wait, I'm talking about Kate, never mind.
SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5658 on: January 19, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

This is what the DM has as their top story

http://www.dailymail.co.u...n-meet-Norfolk-Court.html

Kate and the Turnip Toffs: They're mega rich, mega posh, with homes that make Kensington Palace look bijou - and tantalisingly intertwined lives. As Kate and Wills turn their backs on London, meet their oh-so-glam Norfolk Court

they ran this once before.  Dead
I remember this nonsense before. Jason clearly has no new ideas. Dead

bach

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5659 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

This is recycled for sure. Basically, it's Jason's response to the fact she has no friends. We've been commenting on that for years.

No way would she let anyone near Whiny if she can help it. We've heard the stories of how she mean girled and blocked girls away from him. So there's no way she'd change her stance on that. Especially that the heir and spare have been born and she's expendable IMO.

#FreeHarry
#HarryForKing
Crawler

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5660 on: January 19, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

I agree. They do deserve credit for it IF they actually help improve lives. But they don't. It was just their usual visit. There was nothing that showed they actually care beyond turning up being photographed while making some small talk or trying to look interested and leaving again with a new entry in the CC. Of course people are exited that they visit, that suddenly the national media turns up and for some it will be if not life changing than at least give them a boost in their struggle against mental illness. But that's nothing Will or Kate did. They could have send any other A-list celeb and the achievement would have been the same. Will and Kate are replaceable because they never showed they really cared.

Unless they show real dedication, are prepared, make informed speeches, go out of their way to help, do something even if it doesn't get much media attention just because it is right to do or needs to be done, work even if it isn't counted in the CC, bring attention to that topic on a regular basis and not just when they need good PR because the next vacation/kitchen/magic HG/tennis court alteration is coming and stay with that topic for more than just a few months I will give them credit. Until then I don't. JMO

I agree Some of the cruelest people can be children because they do not understand what words can do to a person. Now this girl (she is a girl and not an adult) will be subjected to words concerning the voices in her head and it will send her spiraling downwards. It was a bad idea for them to use her for their own PR to try and pretend they really do care. If they really cared her story would not have been laid bare in the press.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5661 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »

LucyLiu

Small Member

Slovakia Slovakia

Ignore
« Reply #5662 on: January 19, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »

Thumb up

Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5663 on: January 19, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »

Never mind leaving it poised for the bloodbath that followed.

I suspect many Indians feel the same way.

whiplashhx

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #5664 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »

That was literally what I thought of, besides the diamond controversy, when they first announced the India tour.. I'm surprised they're going; I truly hope no one gets unruly when they're there
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5665 on: January 19, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »

But not all mental illnesses affect a person in such a way that they are not competent to make legally binding decisions of this sort for themselves.  I tend to think that if this young woman's ability to consent to the interview would have been carefully considered by her doctors/counsellors before it went ahead.  I think she is very brave to do the interview and that it may have given a big boost to her sense of personal agency and self-confidence to do something that could help other young people with similiar problems.  

I agree Some of the cruelest people can be children because they do not understand what words can do to a person. Now this girl (she is a girl and not an adult) will be subjected to words concerning the voices in her head and it will send her spiraling downwards. It was a bad idea for them to use her for their own PR to try and pretend they really do care. If they really cared her story would not have been laid bare in the press.

This is not the first time Vikki's story has been revealed in the press.  She had some serious problems in the past, before she got treatment that really helped her.  The "Mirror" item only skims the surface and doesn't tell much about her history.  Here is some more detailed background information:
http://www.theguardian.co...ung-people-nikki-mattocks.   If Nikki was going to "spiral downwards" because of admitting she has a condition that can include occasional psychotic episodes, and indeed suffered some psychotic episodes and other serious symptoms, I think that would have happened when her story was published in "The Guardian"  in November 2014, but this does not seem to have happened.  She is a very brave young woman who has put her life together exceptionally well considering the enormous challenges she has faced, but now she seems to be a long way down the path to recovery and she's trying to help others by being part of this campaign to help de-stigmatise mental illness.  That involves talking about her own situation.  Good for her!  I don't think William and Kate were wrong to become involved with her.  

William and Kate do attract attention, and they can do good unwittingly, by drawing attention to causes by just being there.  Of course they could do a lot more good by taking a deeper, long term interest, but they might surprise us and do just that.  I won't hold my breath though. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:20:57 PM by Margaret » Logged
Crawler

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5666 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:44 PM »

I disagree there are ways to highlight mental health or tell ones story without being exploited. If Kate went around making speeches or took some courses in Psychology so she could say more than "One has to stand after they fall".

I didn't read the Guardian story because I am not going to make mental health about one child.

She has been in a center which is different from the real world with some smart alec standing on every corner. If this child has been progressing as long as you say then it really has nothing to do with W&K.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #5667 on: January 20, 2016, 12:50:10 AM »

I disagree there are ways to highlight mental health or tell ones story without being exploited. If Kate went around making speeches or took some courses in Psychology so she could say more than "One has to stand after they fall".

I didn't read the Guardian story because I am not going to make mental health about one child.

She has been in a center which is different from the real world with some smart alec standing on every corner. If this child has been progressing as long as you say then it really has nothing to do with W&K.

Your complete erasure of this woman's voice and agency is deeply troubling to me. I am sorry, but just because she is saying nice things about someone you don't like doesn't make her any less competent to speak out. She has obviously decided to use her voice to advocate for other youth facing similar issues. She is grateful to W/K and I think to demean her words simply because of her illness is shameful. We need more voices of youth who feel empowered to speak up about their conditions to help break down the stigmas you are exemplifying. One of the worst things about mental illness, especially for children, is the isolation one feels and the lack of agency and voice. I am not trying to defend W/K, but am trying to value this young woman's voice and her feelings. If she is grateful to W/K, so be it.

If this post calls offense, that isn't my intent; but I find this sort of rhetoric to be deeply problematic.

I am taking a break from this topic because it sits too close to me to not become overly emotional.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:19:27 AM by wisdomheaven » Logged
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #5668 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »

Your complete erasure of this woman's voice and agency is deeply troubling to me. I am sorry, but just because she is saying nice things about someone you don't like doesn't make her any less competent to speak out. She has obviously decided to use her voice to advocate for other youth facing similar issues. She is grateful to W/K and I think to demean her words simply because of her illness is shameful. We need more voices of youth who feel empowered to speak up about their conditions to help break down the stigmas you are exemplifying.

Warn away moderators if this post calls offense, but I find this sort of rhetoric to be deeply problematic.

Star

I think W&K are using this girl for PR, but I am glad that she feels at least the royal visit and Kate doing something about it even if it is shallow and for PR is good. That is rather the point of royal charity work, to use the platform, and judging by comments by Crawler I think it shows that this stigma against mental health is still extant and need to go. We aren't this girl, who has gone through so much; if she feels it helps, good. The Cambridges will use this for PR, and it pushes the Kate-the-Savior idea when she does so little, but at least what's been done has given some visibility to the issue. We can argue til the cows come home about how exactly the visibility is poorly done (such as Kate's terrible speech about how if you don't have a loving parent, you'll have mental health challenges, but if you do, you're fine!), but at least the awareness is there. We know they'll use it for PR and will probably drop it once it is not so trendy and won't follow through, but this girl should be commended for speaking publicly.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5669 on: January 20, 2016, 03:45:00 AM »

That was literally what I thought of, besides the diamond controversy, when they first announced the India tour.. I'm surprised they're going; I truly hope no one gets unruly when they're there

Why?

India is the largest country in the Commonwealth - the largest democracy in the world as well. They will shortly host the T20 Cricket World Cup where the English team will be a well-supported competitor (that competition is on from the 8th March to 3rd April - not expecting that William would attend a match as he doesn't seem to have any interest but then again if he is in India during the competition is it possible that he could go to a match, especially if England end up playing India in a semi-final or the final on 30th/31st March of 3rd April for the final).

The invitation for a royal visit would have been sent by the Indian government. Charles and Camilla, Andrew, Edward and Sophie have all visited in recent years with no one getting unruly so why expect something different just because it is William and Kate?

Most Indians I know have a double edged issue with British colonisation as they can see both the good and the bad sides of that time in their history but the fact that India has remained on excellent terms with Britain since Independence says a lot about how that is seen within India itself.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: