Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Savior Icon  (Read 40178 times)
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:54:57 AM »

Here is Wikipedia's explanation of "White savior narrative in film"

In film, the white savior narrative is a cinematic trope in which a white character rescues people of color from their plight. The white savior is portrayed as messianic and often learns something about themselves in the process of rescuing.[1] The trope reflects how media represents race relations by racializing concepts like morality as identifiable with white people over nonwhite people.[2] White saviors are often male and are sometimes out of place in their own society until they lead minorities or foreigners. Screen Saviors: Hollywood Fictions of Whiteness labels the stories as fantasies that "are essentially grandiose, exhibitionistic, and narcissistic". Types of stories include white travels to "exotic" Asian locations, white defense against racism in the American South, or white protagonists having "racially diverse" helpers.[3]

David Sirota at Salon.com said, "These story lines insinuate that people of color have no ability to rescue themselves. This both makes white audiences feel good about themselves by portraying them as benevolent messiahs (rather than hegemonic conquerors), and also depicts people of color as helpless weaklings—all while wrapping such tripe in the cinematic argot of liberation."[4] Noah Berlatsky in The Atlantic said the narrative varies from film to film, though slavery films, including award-winning ones, lack range in theme. He wrote, "All of these critically acclaimed films use variations on a single narrative: Black people are oppressed by bad white people. They achieve freedom through the offices of good white people."[5] The white savior narrative is considered a cliché in cinema of the United States; the narrative is especially common in films about white teachers in inner cities.[6]

See if you can spot an icon here:

Welcome to add more photos from the past.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »

Mary in South Africa (November 2-5, 2014):

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:47:58 AM by Laprincess » Logged
Kiki LaShrewd

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »

Reason 987,654 why I can't stand Madame.

Galuh

Ginormous Member

Tuvalu Tuvalu

Mary & Michael, twins separated at birth?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »

Mary in South Africa (November 2-5, 2014):

Honestly I don't see genuine warm on mosh when she interacts with the children in pictures above, it looks very stage and using the kids as her props for cameras. I can see the kids are not amused around Mosh, the little girl doesn't seem to interest in mosh's presence and doesn't pay attention at all to her, she's even waggling her arms like she is annoyed when mosh's giving her little path on her chin for getting her attention.

compare to this,

Hester
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:44 PM »

The icon has such short stumpy legs! I think I prefer her in inappropriate heels, even in refugee camps!!!!!
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »

i have no words  Roll Eyes
Henny

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »

i have no words  Roll Eyes

That is just so disgusting  Blush Blush Blush

Henny

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

Oh my what can you do with Mary, she will be Queen no matter what while married to Fred so there is not much choice, either lock her away in a Palace somewhere out of sight or put up with her bringing Denmark down to her level.  Blush

Denmark was a proud and respected country until Mary, so very sad to see a country decline like that Cry Cry Cry

just a serf

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »

At a refugee camp in Jordan, dressed for Glastonbury. As I recall the fringed shoulder bag was by Chloe and cost $1000.

South Africa - she stood about 2 metres away from her host, folder her arms and didn't make eye contact.

"I haven't played since I stopped." - Waity Middleton
"You only have it if you've got it." - James, Marquis of Mallow
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »

JAS Thx for the photos. Pls tell me which edition of VOGUE are they from.

MEdiana's frocks, shoes, hair, nails, toes, skin all look gawgeous...just gawgous. Drool

What exotic locations!! Wow!! like Wow!!  Icecream

What gawgeous photos. Banana

Wonder how long did the photographer took to arrange all the brown props around MEdiana...they've done a great job!!

Snare Crap

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
just a serf

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »

JAS Thx for the photos. Pls tell me which edition of VOGUE are they from.

MEdiana's frocks, shoes, hair, nails, toes, skin all look gawgeous...just gawgous. Drool

What exotic locations!! Wow!! like Wow!!  Icecream

What gawgeous photos. Banana

Wonder how long did the photographer took to arrange all the brown props around MEdiana...they've done a great job!!

G  Snare Crap

The pix are from BROWN VOGUE - available in Africa, Asia, and places around the Arctic!  Champagne

Mary stopped by a vintage fabric sale! Awesome - and like, so green!

"Ni Hao!!!!"

Aww, the little brown Arctic Japanese kids don't even know how to make their own flag! Don't worry! I know Mary will teach them to read and write!  Angel

"I haven't played since I stopped." - Waity Middleton
"You only have it if you've got it." - James, Marquis of Mallow
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »

Myanmar 2014, the boy told Mary how he lost his mother. Couldn't you see the sympathy and maternal love the icon showed for the boy?  Angel

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:50:57 PM by Laprincess » Logged
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »

What a pretty outfit for visiting a Myanmar refugee. I'm sure the woman was impressed by the princess's style.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:58:44 PM by Laprincess » Logged
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »

"yes, lemme take that from you"

"I can work with that, I think"

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

Africa just brings out the best of the Icon. See how much the Icon loves brown kids. The brown kids' hands are too weak so she either refrained from touching them or used one finger. She showed such consideration for their conditions.

And the Icon knows best:

P. S. Anyone got a photo of Mary in Asia (Malaysia I think) after the Tsunami where she poked a baby with one finger. This pre-dates RD. and I can't find it on google images either.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:29:07 PM by Laprincess » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: