Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry goes to Africa and AUS/NZ  (Read 95384 times)
Thomas
Administrator
Medium Member

Denmark Denmark

« on: March 04, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

Harry goes to Africa and AUS/NZ.
whiplashhx

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »

Thank you Thomas!!  

To start the thread might as well include the announcement of what will be happening

After ten years of active service with the Armed Forces, Kensington Palace has confirmed that Prince Harry will leave operational service this summer.
His Royal Highness is to focus more of his time on charitable work, including a period of the summer in Africa with conservation experts.
The Prince will step down from his duties in June after spending almost a month in Australia. He will spend four weeks throughout April and May at army barracks in Darwin, Perth and Sydney whilst seconded to the Australian Defence Force (ADF). He will then follow in the footsteps of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in May by making an official royal tour to New Zealand; the Prince’s first visit to the country. Visiting at the invitation of the New Zealand Government, he will undertake the tour immediately after his time with the ADF.

http://royalcentral.co.uk...-leave-armed-forces-46291

Will, Kate, and Harry Engagement Blog:
http://verymuchakid.tumblr.com/
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »

Wonder if Willy will try to take over the project?
Cyllene

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:16 AM »

Wonder if Willy will try to take over the project?

Well he tried it with the Invictus Games by doing a photo op with George, having his and Kate's name in all the articles, and of course the pregnancy announcement...

It's strange to me that Harry working more on his charitable engagements = unemployed sadsack. Of course his work with Sentebale almost never counts. Also it looks like his time in New Zealand (maybe Australia to) is "at the government's invitation" so it might count as official?
Margaret

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »

I cannot see any reason for Harry coming to Australia to spend a week or so at a few army bases around the county.  He's at the end of his career, so what is the point?  What is he going to learn from our servicemen?  What can they learn from him that will be relevant to their future careers?  Africa seems to be the place he will be spending a lot of his future time, so why is he coming here?  It just seems like a paid holiday in the antipodes to me, and I cannot imagine why our government thought it would be a good idea for us to finance one for him.  
Henny

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »

I cannot see any reason for Harry coming to Australia to spend a week or so at a few army bases around the county.  He's at the end of his career, so what is the point?  What is he going to learn from our servicemen?  What can they learn from him that will be relevant to their future careers?  Africa seems to be the place he will be spending a lot of his future time, so why is he coming here?  It just seems like a paid holiday in the antipodes to me, and I cannot imagine why our government thought it would be a good idea for us to finance one for him.  

Neither can I Margret Star particularly as reported a chunk his time in Aussie is going to be used travelling to and from Gallipoli.

Will be interesting to see Mary’s PR going into meltdown trying to keep her in the news while Harry is here though.

Felicia

Warned
Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »

Yes it all looks like a hastily cobbled together itinerary because something happened they weren't expecting?
Still don't see why ha not staying in the army- unless that was the army's decision
He is way too much of a loose cannon without that structure
Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »

Yes it all looks like a hastily cobbled together itinerary because something happened they weren't expecting?
Still don't see why ha not staying in the army- unless that was the army's decision

He said several times that if he cannot go with his unit (and the soldiers he leads) or do what he was trained for anymore there is no point in staying. He said that after he was stopped going to Iraq and after he was pulled out of Afghanistan. And right now with IS and the lot that play the media game like no other before I cannot see the MOD allowing him near any kind of frontline. Also he is up for promotion and I'd rather have him end this now (if there is no chance of him ever being deployed again) and leave the position of a major to someone else.

I also disagree that it's hastily put together. Leaving the Army, Sentebale expanding, ongoing involvement in the Invictus Games, working in Commonwealth countries, all that is hardly news. There have been rumours and comments about that since he came back from Afghanistan the last time. They just announced it officially now. BTW is it possible that OZ is hosting the Invictus Games 2016 and that is one reason he will stay there?  Thinking
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:30:28 AM by Suzy » Logged

Witchell: Clearly a greater share of royal burden will fall on you and as that happens you will grasp it willingly?
Will: Absolutely willingly. And as that time comes I'll be the first person to put my hand up and take it on. But [] my grandfather is so active [] and unwilling to slow down.
Herazeus
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »

Why is he a loose cannon without the army?? I'm confused.

Lexy

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »

It actually makes a lot of sense. He had been 10 years in the army for him to move up more than he already has would require him to possess a degree, something Harry did not get. So he essentially would be in the same position he is now or go up to major (if he doesn't by the end of the year) until he retires. I can imagine having a desk job in the army would get a little mundane for someone like Harry who really wanted to serve. He probably had the option to go back to school but school has seemed to always be a struggle for him so I'm not surprised he chose a different path.

It looks like he will continue his efforts on a volunteer basis focusing on veterans something he has shown in the past year he is really dedicated too. Regarding going to Australia, that's the thing I'm confused about because it does appear that Harry is not only doing more foreign diplomacy than his brother but is also getting to know the commonwealth more than the second in line in to the throne.
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »

I think in the senior ranks of the Army there's a great deal of report writing and administrative duties, which I really don't think are Harry's favourite activities at all. He could be made Major before he leaves, but I think Harry's a people person who loved getting out there on patrol duties with his regiment and later flying Apaches with his fellow crew members. I believe that Harry made the decision that his niche may very well lie in helping maimed and wounded vets and that's were he will be of the greatest use in the future.

In October 2013 Harry came out fleetingly to Sydney to the Naval Review. He had a ball and people loved him. He could have gone back to Britain and asked for a temporary transfer to serve with Australian forces at that time.
nihonbutterfly

Muted
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »

Well I for one just don't accept this australian trip. it's not legit unless there's glamping and water rafting. Sorry harry do some work like your bother.............. Laugh bounce Laughing

DebbieB

Humongous Member

Debbers and Bruners. (Thanks Pomme)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »

Well I for one just don't accept this australian trip. it's not legit unless there's glamping and water rafting. Sorry harry do some work like your bother.............. Laugh bounce Laughing

Laughing  Champagne

"The great thing about Diana, is she always looked her best— you never saw her slumped in the backseat of a car with legs akimbo." Tina Brown
whiplashhx

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »

“Prince Harry will arrive in Australia on Monday, April 6th, to begin 4-week military secondment. Details… http://t.co/nAfUAjBqd3

"The prince will leave Australia around May 9 and head to New Zealand."

Will, Kate, and Harry Engagement Blog:
http://verymuchakid.tumblr.com/
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »

“Prince Harry will arrive in Australia on Monday, April 6th, to begin 4-week military secondment. Details… http://t.co/nAfUAjBqd3

"The prince will leave Australia around May 9 and head to New Zealand."

You'll have a ball here in Australia, Harry!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: