Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disabled royals  (Read 6619 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »

Over time and even now there are disabled (ex-)royals

A few:

Prince John (1905-1919), paternal uncle of Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1909, John was discovered to be afflicted by epilepsy and was also believed to have some form of intellectual disability, possibly autism. As his condition deteriorated, he was sent to live at Sandringham House and was kept away from the public eye

Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (Adini) (1915-1980)
Had Down syndrome.

Princess Cornelie-Cécile Viktoria Luise of Prussia (1978)
she was born developmentally disabled.

Queen Alexandra of Great-Britain (née princess of Denmark) (1844-1925)
An increasing degree of deafness, caused by hereditary otosclerosis

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (1859-1941)
A traumatic breech birth left him with a withered left arm due to Erb's palsy, which he tried with some success to conceal

Prince François Henri Louis Marie of Orléans (1961), Count of Clermont.
& Princess Blanche Elisabeth Rose Marie of Orléans (1963)

Children of Henri d'Orleans, Count of Paris (1933) and his first wife Duchess Marie Therese of Württemberg (1934). Both François and Blanche are mentally disabled.

prince Enrico (Henry) of Bourbon-Parma (1873-1939)
Son of Duke Robert I of Bourbon Parma & his first wife princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. He had learning difficulties, and after his fathers dead his brother Elias took up regent role.

prince Guiseppe (Joseph) of Bourbon-Parma (1875-1950)
Son of Duke Robert I of Bourbon Parma & his first wife princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. He had learning difficulties, and after his fathers dead his brother Elias took up regent role
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »

Princess Christina of the Netherlands (1947)
Her mother, Queen Juliana, had contracted German measles during her pregnancy and as a result, Christina was born nearly blind.

Archduke Philipp of Austria (1962)
suffered terrible burns as a child and was severely disfigured.

Princess Eugenie of York (GB) (1990)
she has scoliosis and has been treated for this condition (incl. titanium rods in her back).

Prince Erik of Sweden and Norway (1889-1918)
Son of King Gustav V of Sweden and his queen, Victoria of Baden.
he suffered from epilepsy and mild learning difficulties. His exact condition has not been published, but he may have suffered an injury at birth.

There are a lot of princes and other male royals/nobilitie who are sufferers of hemophilia
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »

Infanta Margarita of Spain, Duchess of Soria, 2nd Duchess of Hernani (1939)
Youngest sister of former king Juan-Carlos. Margarita has been blind since birth
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »

Talal bin Abdullah, king of Jordan (1909-1972)
was/is reported as schizophreniac.

Infante Jaime of Spain (1908–1975).
A deaf-mute due to a botched childhood operation

King Ludwig II  of Bavaria (1845-1864)
is said to have been mentally disturbed

King Otto of Bavaria (1848-1916)
younger brother of Ludwig II, is also said to have been mentally disturbed

princess Beatrice of Greece and Denmark (née princess of Battenberg)(1885-1969)
Mother of prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II. In her childhood she was diagnosed with congenital deafness. In 1930, Beatrice was diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed to a sanatorium in Switzerland

Yoshihito, Prince Katsura of Japan (1948-2014)
Prince Katsura suffered a series of strokes in May 1988, and became paralyzed from the waist down, forcing him to use a wheelchair

Lady Louise Windsor (2003)
She is born with esotropia

Prince Nikolaus August of Sweden (1831 – 1873)
He was very interested in trains and locomotives, and a locomotive was named after him. Since it was commonly thought the Prince was not very bright, this led to the expression "dummare än tåget" (lit. "more stupid than the train"), an expression still in use in the Swedish language

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »

Prince Emmanuel of Belgium (2005)
Is said to have a learning disability. He is apparently attending a special school currently.

Ellie

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »

Mother of prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II. In her childhood she was diagnosed with congenital deafness. In 1930, Beatrice was diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed to a sanatorium in Switzerland

Prince Katsura suffered a series of strokes in May 1988, and became paralyzed from the waist down, forcing him to use a wheelchair

He was very interested in trains and locomotives, and a locomotive was named after him. Since it was commonly thought the Prince was not very bright, this led to the expression "dummare än tåget" (lit. "more stupid than the train"), an expression still in use in the Swedish language

Not Beatrice, but Alice was Philip's mother. There's a wonderful biography on her by Hugo Vickers, I believe.
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »

Not Beatrice, but Alice was Philip's mother. There's a wonderful biography on her by Hugo Vickers, I believe.

Don't forget Prince John either. He was the younger brother of Edward VIII and George VI, who died at 14 in 1919. He was developmentally slow and also suffered from epilepsy.
Alexandrine of Prussia, the youngest daughter of the Crown Prince, was born with Down's Syndrome. She died in 1980 aged 65.
Two of Prince Henry of Prussia's sons, waldemar, who died in 1945 because he couldn't get a blood transfusion, and his brother Heinrich aged 4, who died falling from a table, were haemophiliacs. They were Queen Victoria's
grandsons

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

Don't forget Prince John either. He was the younger brother of Edward VIII and George VI, who died at 14 in 1919. He was developmentally slow and also suffered from epilepsy.
Alexandrine of Prussia, the youngest daughter of the Crown Prince, was born with Down's Syndrome. She died in 1980 aged 65.
Two of Prince Henry of Prussia's sons, waldemar, who died in 1945 because he couldn't get a blood transfusion, and his brother Heinrich aged 4, who died falling from a table, were haemophiliacs. They were Queen Victoria's
grandsons

Alexandrine and John are both mentioned in my first post of this topic.
And indeed I made a mistake with regard to the mother of prince Philip, her name is Alice and not Beatrice Thank you for the correction.

Apparently I was a bit confused with the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria and or princess Beatrice of York
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »

prince João Orleans e Braganca (Brazil) and his daughter, Maria Cristina
Coya

Big Member

Peru Peru

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »

Very interesting posts, thank you Principessa  Star
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:55:51 PM by Coya » Logged

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 07:27:14 PM »

Nice pictures of Princess Alexandrine of Prussia (Adini) (1915-1980) with her family:

Curtains

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »

Very interesting thread!  Thank you, principessa, for this lovely idea.

Archduke Phillipp married later in life, at age 44, to London-based Mayasuni ("Suni") A. Heath, daughter of Carolyn Heath.  Phillipp is an investment manager in London, and the couple married in 2006 at the basilica church of Maria Plain in Salzburg.

The choice of wedding site is touching, considering Phillipp's childhood injuries. The Basicila is the home of an image of Mary & Jesus that was sent there from Regen, Bavaria; the image was remained unburned despite the structures being set afire multiple times during the Thirty Years War.  The image was sent to Salzburg and a church, later Basilica, built around it.

http://www.visit-salzburg...rroundings/mariaplain.htm

The couple has a daughter, Amaya (b 2011), and all three attending the wedding of Prince Amedeo & Lili Rosbach, July 2014:

http://www.dutchphotopres...e-amedeo-and-lili-rosboch

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »

Thank you curtains for that information and the links to the website and photos. I agree that the venue for their wedding must have had a special meaning to the bride and groom along with their family.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »

Very interesting thread!  Thank you, principessa, for this lovely idea.

Archduke Phillipp married later in life, at age 44, to London-based Mayasuni ("Suni") A. Heath, daughter of Carolyn Heath.  Phillipp is an investment manager in London, and the couple married in 2006 at the basilica church of Maria Plain in Salzburg.

The choice of wedding site is touching, considering Phillipp's childhood injuries. The Basicila is the home of an image of Mary & Jesus that was sent there from Regen, Bavaria; the image was remained unburned despite the structures being set afire multiple times during the Thirty Years War.  The image was sent to Salzburg and a church, later Basilica, built around it.

http://www.visit-salzburg...rroundings/mariaplain.htm

The couple has a daughter, Amaya (b 2011), and all three attending the wedding of Prince Amedeo & Lili Rosbach, July 2014:

http://www.dutchphotopres...e-amedeo-and-lili-rosboch

Thank you for the very interesting information  Thumb up
Coya

Big Member

Peru Peru

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:08:58 PM »

I was lurking around the internet and this surprised me : 6 of the 12 children of Robert I duke of Parma and Maria Pia of Bourbon -Two Sicilies were mentally disabled, she died very young at 33 and he remarried with Infanta Maria Antonia of Portugal, she bore him also 12 children  Shocked
I try to find what kind of disability the children had, but Isn't much information, anyone knows something about it ? I feel sorry for those poor kids who grew up without their mother and I wonder what are the chances of something like that happens? Probably the inbreeding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.or...ourbon-Two_Sicilies_(1849–1882)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: