Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Laurent blames family for sabotaging his career  (Read 7143 times)
draadje

Mini Member

Aruba Aruba

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:11 PM »

Brussels (AFP) - Prince Laurent, brother to Belgium's King Philippe, attacked the royal family and their entourage Thursday, saying they were like the Stasi secret police and had sabotaged his career for years.

"My family has never supported me," Laurent told RTBF public television, complaining bitterly that he had been hard done by despite the rich external trappings of royalty.

"It started with my uncle King Baudouin. Then with my father Albert II. With them it was like the Stasi," he said, referring to the dreaded secret police of Communist East Germany.

"Today, I have the impression it continues with my brother, King Philippe. Their mistake (was) to have taken on an entourage which wished me harm and wanted to prevent me working."

The royal family has been a key unifying factor since Belgium gained independence in 1830, helping hold together its sharply divided French- and Dutch-speaking communities, but it has not always been popular.

The palace said Laurent had "somewhat hurt his father, King Albert II, his uncle King Baudouin and his brother King Philippe," in a statement released Thursday evening by the Belga news agency.

"King Philippe nevertheless wants to continue with their joint efforts. Their projects are unchanged," the statement added.

Laurent, 51, has a reputation as the black sheep of the Belgian royal family after run-ins with the law for speeding and his outspokenness.

He now stands 11th in the line of succession to the throne after Belgium changed the law in 1991 to end primogeniture.

Married with three children of his own, Laurent has tried to build a career in environmental and animal protection but his choice of partners has turned out badly.

Ventures with a son of Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi without government approval raised more than eyebrows, leading to a cut in his royal grant and a temporary suspension of official duties in 2011.

A foundation Laurent set up to promote sustainable development 10 years ago is now in financial difficulty.

Laurent told the Libre Belgique daily Thursday that his family continued to "put a spoke in his wheels" after sabotaging his work for years.

"All my life, I have been blocked ... It is really complicated to work in such a situation," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/bel...arebuttons&soc_trk=tw

----

I'm not sure how this will help his cause, but I feel pity for him, to feel like you're family does not support you.
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

JMO like pedophile Andy, Laurent is a spoiled rotten little toad JMO JMO

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »

Oh, boy. This isn't going to help him at all. Bad judgment is bad judgment, and it seems to extend to flapping his lips in the worst way.  

Maybe it's in part resentment because now, instead of being the son of the king, he's only the brother, and more marginalized than ever? Makes one wonder why one who is privileged and blessed is so bitter.

Really, in the end, he can only blame himself.

temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »

I think this fellow suffers from some mental health issues. Its exploitive to give him a public platform by interviewing/quoting him this way.
It reminds me of Charlie Sheen coming down from drugs and talking about "Winning".
rogue

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »

SIGH ... i see Laurent is back to playing his best role   Roll Eyes : the eternal victim  Snore.Nobody cares about Laurent , he could easily move abroad and start a new life. He has continuously has made bad decisions that affected him and his family.That wasn't Phillipe but he who choose to do that. If i was Philippe i would  kick him out , take away his apanage  , set him free and let him have that ''career'' that he supposedly craves. ::)Let him talk as much as he wants to the press , he will talk anyways. Lets see how long he will last before he runs back asking for support.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

It seemed to me Laurent was left out within their family. In other words Philippe had a very good relationship with uncle Boudewijn and aunt Fabiola, as an possible direct heir.  Astrid found connection elsewhere. Where was space, positive attention etc. for Laurent.

I can believe he is a spoiled brat, who doesn't know how to behave normal. Or to experience the mistakes he makes himself. When he makes mistakes for which he is criticized or punish he would complain his family etc did not help him. When he is checked and controlled he would complain they are restricting him.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »

I think him more ruined child than spoiled child. Honestly Albert and Paola take the prize as the most horrible royal parents at present. Phillipe seems to be good at handling Laurent but since he's in charge now, he's also the one getting blamed.
draadje

Mini Member

Aruba Aruba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »

I think him more ruined child than spoiled child. Honestly Albert and Paola take the prize as the most horrible royal parents at present. Phillipe seems to be good at handling Laurent but since he's in charge now, he's also the one getting blamed.

Yes absolutely. But if life was so hard than he could also move abroad with his nuclear family and manage his "career" without the burden of dealin with his parents and uncles. I don't think there is enough therapy in the world to make him see the best way foreward. 
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »

Shut up, Laurent.   Thumb down

I generally feel sorry for him.   I do believe that Albert and Paola messed him up in a big way, and I've no doubt that his childhood was pure hell.  I also think he suffers from mental health issues. 

However....he needs to shut up about Philippe.  Philippe and Mathilde have been nothing but supportive of Laurent and his family.  Philippe was there in the hospital visiting Laurent.  Albert and Paola couldn't be bothered to care.  I highly doubt that Philippe is acting like the Stasi when it comes to Laurent.   Roll Eyes

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
jigmesjigga

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »

At this point, maybe Laurent's been up to such shady stuff that they have to keep the kibosh on him and his activities because he could be more of an embarrassment.  "Stasi" is probably an over-dramatic term being used by somebody who probably isn't capable of operating independently in any way, shape or form.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »

At this point, maybe Laurent's been up to such shady stuff that they have to keep the kibosh on him and his activities because he could be more of an embarrassment.  "Stasi" is probably an over-dramatic term being used by somebody who probably isn't capable of operating independently in any way, shape or form.

I'm starting to wonder this too.  Star

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »

Comparing the Stasi with his family is quite heavy if one reminds what the Stasi did. He is clueless, stupid or realy hurt. Probably a mixture.
kbart

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

He really needs to hold his tongue before he does irreparable damage to his wider and closer family. I feel for his lovely kids - now old enough to read the papers - and for Claire. I don't understand why he criticises his brother - as pixiecat says Philippe visited him in hospital and you can see from photos at events, e.g. those Christmas concerts, that he always seems to be getting on extremely well with Mathilde. The kids in the whole family all seem to get on as well and he should think of that. I fear that he is suffering from some severe childhood traumas and nothing seems to help…. Being the "spare" brother can be tough - ask Andy…. and even Harry...
Idefix

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »

Claire should collect his phone asap, keep him away from journalists and take care that Laurent takes his meds. He is behaving very strange these last months. Im no psychatrist, but it looks like he is almost in the same state of mind as last year when he was hospitalized.

SIGH ... i see Laurent is back to playing his best role   Roll Eyes : the eternal victim  Snore.Nobody cares about Laurent , he could easily move abroad and start a new life. He has continuously has made bad decisions that affected him and his family.That wasn't Phillipe but he who choose to do that. If i was Philippe i would  kick him out , take away his apanage  , set him free and let him have that ''career'' that he supposedly craves. ::)Let him talk as much as he wants to the press , he will talk anyways. Lets see how long he will last before he runs back asking for support.
I give him 3 seconds. He knows that he isn’t capable of earning his keep. That’s why he stays. He just isn’t able to understand that accepting a dotation comes with restrictions. He wants it all, the money, the privileges and the freedom to do whatever pleases him, regardless how stupid this may be. Philippe took a risk by offering him new chances. Obviously he hoped this would strengthen Laurent’s self-esteem, sadly he was wrong.
zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »

ITA with you Maria  Star

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: