Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles III on PBS, BBC  (Read 4320 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »

The play was shown tonight on PBS, right after ``Call the Midwife.''  I have to say that the language was brilliant, in my opinion, downright Shakespearean. And I think it was well cast, particularly Tim Pigott-Smith, who played Charles. I won't give away the ending, but I will say it was a bit of a surprise to me.

Frankly, I don't think William or Kate -- particularly Kate -- is capable of the kind of scheming we saw exhibited in the play. There's a line in the play in which Kate tells Charles that the column inches -- i.e. of newsprint -- they occupy weighs things in their favor and that her obsession with fashion is part of her duty.

I would be curious about whether any of the subjects of the play have actually seen it. I suppose, since it aired on the Beeb May 10, that they could have watched it in the privacy of their own homes.

Did anyone else see it. If so, what did you think?
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »

I haven't seen it but the reviews are good. Kate as a genius manipulator and schemer makes me laugh, though the initial plot regarding Charles not wanting to give royal assent to a bill restricting freedom of speech and press seems in-character.

Doesn't it promote the idea that Harry is not Charles's son and he's with some sleazy American?

I'm going to try to get my hands on it.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »

ITA that the blank verse was brilliant and Kate as a genius manipulator totally laughable. There was a lot of "meat" to it and I missed some things, will have to watch again. I know a lot was cut from the actual stage play, will have to ask a friend who saw it in London.
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »

I saw it on the BBC last week and I thought it was excellent. Tim Pigott-Smith is always brilliant in everything, and it was really sad when he passed away last month.

Without giving too much away, it explores the idea of a monarch not wanting to sign a bill passed by Parliament into law. It's really well done, I'd recommend it.

PS in answer to Ellie's question, the Hewitt question is put to Harry, but quickly dismissed. It's not a big thing in the play, unlike the appearance of a certain ghost.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »

I'm late to the game and finally saw this after a friend recommended it. It's funny that the same guy who plays Harry also plays him in "The Windsors." LOL

I don't see the Cambridges in any hurry to be the top banana.
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 04:18:39 AM »

I saw the stage production so I am curious to see this version. I missed it when it aired on PBS.

The stage production was so very well done.
AutumnOpal

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »

I'm late to the game and finally saw this after a friend recommended it. It's funny that the same guy who plays Harry also plays him in "The Windsors." LOL

Yeah they don't necessarily want to be on top, too much work.  They just want access to the $$.
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 07:17:04 PM »

I saw the stage production so I am curious to see this version. I missed it when it aired on PBS.

The stage production was so very well done.

The film is very well done too, and interestingly as well, as it is like you're watching a theatre production! Worth watching.
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »

Yeah they don't necessarily want to be on top, too much work.  They just want access to the $$.
Agree. That's why I don't think they are in any hurry. Weren't some of the actors also in the stage production? I thought the ghost of Diana thing was weird.
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »

I loved Charles III even if they did give Kate a touch of the Lady Macbeth's. Funny, I thought the Diana ghost suited the theme of the film.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: