Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birth of Princess Charlotte  (Read 136213 times)
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1155 on: May 06, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »

My granny had 7 daughters, all have Maria in their name. Is indeed very traditional here in Southern Europe, especially in my granny/mother's generation, to give Maria as one of the names (we usually have two names) Cute

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: May 06, 2015, 06:58:23 PM »

My granny had 7 daughters, all have Maria in their name. Is indeed very traditional here in Southern Europe, especially in my granny/mother's generation, to give Maria as one of the names (we usually have two names) Cute

very true.

LucyLiu

Small Member

Slovakia Slovakia

Ignore
« Reply #1157 on: May 06, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »

We use Maria a lot as well, my middle name is Maria also  Hug
Rescue

Large Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: May 06, 2015, 11:49:42 PM »

A lot of people would think they were honoring Mummy Boleyn 2.0, not Charles, if they went with Caroline. I personally (and I know others as well) have never heard of Carol/Caroline being a feminized version of Charles. Better to go with Charlotte than create confusion and upset.

JMO Champagne
Well, Caroline is indeed a feminine version derived of Charles, or Carl, as is Charlotte, Carole, Carla etc. I have certainly always thought of it as such.

Maxima25
Banned
Banned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »

It is the same name in different languages.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/charlotte

They all derive from Charles, which derives from germanic Karl.

http://www.behindthename....dthename.com/name/charles

So the baby was also named after Carole  Spiteful

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: May 07, 2015, 12:08:43 AM »

A lot of people would think they were honoring Mummy Boleyn 2.0, not Charles, if they went with Caroline. I personally (and I know others as well) have never heard of Carol/Caroline being a feminized version of Charles. Better to go with Charlotte than create confusion and upset.

JMO Champagne
Well, Caroline is indeed a feminine version derived of Charles, or Carl, as is Charlotte, Carole, Carla etc. I have certainly always thought of it as such.

Yes, you are right. Think of the very famous king Charlemagne (basically an ancestor to everyone who has ancestors in Central Europe) aka Charles the Great, Carolus or Karolus Magnus, Charles Le Grand or Charlemagne, Karl der Große or Carlo Magno or Carlomagno. The name 'karl' and all its variants mean the same thing; 'man' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles). In a way the female forms are a bit funny considering the original meaning but then again, there are a lot of similar names (like Andrew and all its variants, derived from Greek Andreas, ancient Greek aner/andros, "man", thus meaning "manly" and, as consequence, "strong", "courageous", and "warrior").

Here's the feminine variants: http://en.wikipedia.org/w...es#Derived_feminine_names

She could as easily be named after grandpa Chuck as grandma Carole.

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36:53 AM »

My point was: not everyone knows or associates Charles with Carol/Caroline; even now, they hear Charlotte and think Charles. Not Carol. Or even Carl. It might have a long-ass history but not everyone is aware of the connection; I'm not alone in being unaware of it until a few days ago when we discussed it. So even if they are paying tribute to Mummy Dearest, they were safer in calling her Charlotte than Caroline. And maybe that was probably the reason for it - Ma and her clan don't exactly have a large fan base.

That is all.

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: May 07, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »

My point was: not everyone knows or associates Charles with Carol/Caroline; even now, they hear Charlotte and think Charles. Not Carol. Or even Carl. It might have a long-ass history but not everyone is aware of the connection; I'm not alone in being unaware of it until a few days ago when we discussed it. So even if they are paying tribute to Mummy Dearest, they were safer in calling her Charlotte than Caroline. And maybe that was probably the reason for it - Ma and her clan don't exactly have a large fan base.

That is all.

Why so angry...?  Huh? Yes, not all know. It's not a crime not to know. I just figured it might be interesting to point out that it is in fact the same name. I didn't mean to rub it into people's faces. And probably it was intentional that people would not associate Charlotte to Carole but Charles. There's no need IMO to feel insulted by the conversation, or have I missed something?

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: May 07, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »

Check PM Wink

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54:46 AM »

Ah, I see!  Yes Glad that's cleared now! I get so excited sometimes about explaining stuff I find interesting that I might sound impolite.

SavageGrace

Ginormous Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »

I sometimes do the same. It's cool, my friend! Hug

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: May 07, 2015, 01:41:41 AM »

I get so excited sometimes about explaining stuff I find interesting that I might sound impolite.
deleted
hazeleyes

Big Member

China China

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: May 07, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »

I think they named Charlotte after Charles, but gave her the middle Elizabeth after Carole, not HM. Both Carole and Kate have Elizabeth as a middle name--so its the first girl in the family that gets that middle name.

Carole's grandmother's name is also Elizabeth.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:08:04 AM by hazeleyes » Logged

If you don't know, now you know. -Notorious B.I.G.
Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: May 08, 2015, 12:11:47 AM »

Well it took me ages to realize that Adelaide (or Adelaide) is the same name as Adelheid...
And 6 years in grammar school to come to terms with the fact that 'our' Ovidius and Homeros are known to the rest of the world as Ovid and Homer  Blink

It's confusing sometimes, the how names can be the samesame but different. In Dutch, we have Karel (kerel actually means 'dude' or 'strong man') and Karoline/Caroline so the link is very Obvious. Purists do call Chuck Karel (and Charles I and II also get that treatment), and our beloved Spanish Habsburger Carlos II is a Karel in Dutch too - as is Karel de Grote (Charlemagne). Prince Claus' names were dutchified when he got his Dutch passport in 1965/66, fortunately Claus didn't become Klaas - because a 'houten (wooden) Klaas' is someone who moves awkwardly and stiffly...

Aaanyway, glad they went for the Obvious old fashioned names with CED and not the popular ones - we would have had to cope with yet another princess Sophia!

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: