Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg past engagement (Elvire, 2000)  (Read 13124 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »

Recently I stumbled on the item that Gustav had been engaged in the past.......never heard of it before (or forgot it already/put it somewhere in a dark shady corner of my mind)

Elvire Pasté de Rochefort and Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (2000)

Engagement announced at the Danish Royal Court 16 August 2000 between Mlle Elvire Pasté de Rochefort, b. Paris 13 March 1968 and HSH Hereditary Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, b. Frankfurt am Main 12 January 1969, son of HSH Richard, Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg by his wife HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark.

The wedding was planned to take place at Paris on 12 May 2001, but was postponed. The couple later decided to go separate ways, cf. a communique published on 16 July 2001 (http://www.berlingske.dk/artikel:aid=109294, in Danish).

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »

https://www.linkedin.com/...e-de-rochefort/2a/458/aa2
kbart

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »

I don't know anything about why the engagement ended but I am pretty sure Elvire attended Queen Ingrid's funeral in 2000 and was standing with Gustav and the other grandchildren….
Curtains

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »

There are some theories about why the engagement ended - one was that her father was negotiating quite strongly on the pre-nup and the S-W-B family ended the negotiations. 

It was very interesting - this young woman (also) did not have the pedigree required to wed Gussie according to House law (specifically not noble in four generations), but the S-W-B consented to the engagement regardless.

I do remember that Gus looked like death warmed over for the longest time after this breakup.  Comparing pictures of him now versus pictures of him that you've posted Principessa (and a  Star for you!) - and even allowing for the passage of time - the happiness factor was so clear in these pictures.  She looks alive and glowing and so does he.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

There are some theories about why the engagement ended - one was that her father was negotiating quite strongly on the pre-nup and the S-W-B family ended the negotiations. 

It was very interesting - this young woman (also) did not have the pedigree required to wed Gussie according to House law (specifically not noble in four generations), but the S-W-B consented to the engagement regardless.

I do remember that Gus looked like death warmed over for the longest time after this breakup.  Comparing pictures of him now versus pictures of him that you've posted Principessa (and a  Star for you!) - and even allowing for the passage of time - the happiness factor was so clear in these pictures.  She looks alive and glowing and so does he.

Thank you

On the internet I found the same remarks, that future DIL wanted more money then the SWB wanted to give.
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »

She refused to sign the prenup. Her father talked to the press and said that the prenup was not what they wanted in case of divorce. A few weeks later the engagement was called off. People blame her father (for talking to the press about money) or the S-W-B (for drawing up the contract), but Gustav and Elvire were adults and could have married with the prenup they wanted.

Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Topaz for November

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »

And wasn't a religion problem throw into the mix too ? Elvire is a Catholic and her family did not want her to become a Lutheran ?

Curtains

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »

And wasn't a religion problem throw into the mix too ? Elvire is a Catholic and her family did not want her to become a Lutheran ?

Yes, that certainly would have been a barrier but since they had already decided to marry in contravention of the House laws (and the resulting consequences for Gus in losing his inheritance), this would not have been a deal breaker.  If it were the only thing standing between Gus and his inheritance, it's something that can be remedied if the appetite is there to do so.  The not-noble in four generations can't be remedied.

Bottom line is that Gus was willing to forgo his inheritance for Elvire.  What happened after that - why they split - is speculation but I think we had two sets of strong-willed parents and two essentially less strong young people. 

IMO, it's just about the strongest statement of love that a man in Gus' position could have made, that he could/would give up his family inheritance for love - and still look like he's walking on air.  Whatever happened after that must have been nothing short of a (metaphorical) earthquake.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Topaz for November

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »

Thank you for the explanation Curtains  Star

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »

An interesting story, thanks Curtains for all the info!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »

Wasn't that the case with prince Jean d'Orleans, Duke of Vendome and duchess Tatjana of Oldenburg (younger sister of archduchess Eilika of Habsburg).

According to Wikipedia:
"...Prince Jean was due to marry Duchess Tatjana of Oldenburg (b. 1974) in 2001. Duchess Tatjana is the youngest daughter of Duke Johann of Oldenburg and Countess Ilka of Ortenberg. Her elder sister Eilika married Archduke Georg of Austria in 1997. However, the wedding was cancelled at the last minute because of a dispute over religion. Jean's father Henri feared the Orléans claim to the throne would be compromised if there were to be a Protestant heir...."
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »

http://www.theroyalforums...-the-breakdown-19619.html
Curtains

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »

Thank you for the explanation Curtains  Star

Hug  Star

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »