Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Gustaf Adolf, CG's dad  (Read 17753 times)
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »

I just wanted to make a separate topic for CG's dad Hereditary Prince Gustaf Adolf who died tragically in a plane crash when CG was just a baby. I wish he would've lived to be the king as from everything I've ever seen and read, he seemed like a decent man and quite different compared to his son who never got to know his father.

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »

I know this topic should've probably been on some historical section and understandably will not be very interesting to most. I became interested in knowing who GA was after seeing small clips in the documentary about Haga Palace and always hearing the same things how GA was that prince who died in Denmark when the plane he was on crashed shortly after takeoff.

While searching for things about Queen Ingrid reminiscing her brother (as I remember reading they were close), I found this wonderful photo of Ingrid with her 2-seat Roadster at Solliden.

Here's Ingrid with her brothers Sigvard and Gustaf Adolf, or Edmund as he was called among the family (https://en.wikipedia.org/...Duke_of_V%C3%A4sterbotten), in London in 1926 to be presented to the Prince of Wales

There's a story going around that it was Ingrid who introduced Sibylla and Gustaf Adolf to each other or at least made sure that he went to the wedding where it is said that he met Sibylla (maybe the wedding of lady May Cambridge and sir Henry Abel Smith?). Ingrid is said to have been of the opinion that Sibylla and Gustaf Adolf would be a good match.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:57:14 PM by Suzerain » Logged

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:43 PM »

Here's an article about CG and his father, sort of.

The King’s dark childhood
(Translated article from Expressen, march 2005)

King Carl Gustaf, 58, has always missed his father. The truth is that he also missed his mother. During his, sometimes sad, childhood, he lived isolated and was not even allowed to live in the same apartment as his mother, Princess Sibylla.

After the flood wave catastrophe, King Carl Gustaf for the first time bared to tell about his family secret: the regret for a father.
- Many children have lost one or both their parents. I think I know what that means. I have myself been a child like that, he said.

With that, he lifted the lid off a subject that had been taboo during his upbringing. Expressen have mapped out how it was to grow up as a Crown Prince without a father – and with a mother who was seldom at hand.

It was never spoken about that there was no father in the family; that Carl Gustaf, when he was only nine moths old, lost his father; Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf, 41, in a plane accident. It was a Tuesday. Gustaf Adolf was returning from a hunting trip to Holland and the Princesses where leaving fro Bromma airport to welcome him.

The next morning, the children were allowed to enter the bedroom where Princess Sibylla sat in the bed and cried. She said:
- Your father is dead.

Then it was not talked about any further. Carl Gustaf didn’t get to know the truth until he turned seven years old.
- It was out mother’s way of handling the situation, to cope with living her life. We were not to talk about it. That’s just how it was.
- It was of course not good for us children. It would’ve been much better to be allowed to talk about father’s death, Princess Birgitta has said in an interview.

Princess Christina has also witnessed of how it was:
- No one ever told me that father was dead. It took me about five six years to understand that I had no father.
- I feel no grudge or bitterness towards mother, because I think I understand her. She was devastated herself, and it was a terrible shock for her.

- She was so young when she came here, to a foreign country and she stuck in a very intense family life.
- She gave birth to children constantly, her deliveries were difficult and she was not feeling well during the pregnancies.

Princess Sibylla felt the pressure to give birth to a son – and secure the male succession. Carl Gustaf was therefore a longed-for boy. Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla had four girls – Princesses Margaretha, 11, Birgitta, 9, Désirée, 7, and Christina, 2 – and finally had a son that could secure the succession.

His father called him ”the Duke”. The fist thing Gustaf Adolf used to say when he returned home was:
- How is the little Duke?

The King’s mother, Princess Sibylla, was devastated after Gustaf Adolf’s sudden death. She realised that she on her own would not cope to raise five children. Instead it became the staff’s business to take care of the Princesses and Prince. Little Prince Carl Gustaf’s rescue was the nanny Ingrid “Nenne” Björnberg, who had to provide almost all of the love, closeness and affection. During the night after Gustaf Adolf’s death, she decided that the Princely children would become the task of her lifetime.

Nenne Björnberg lived with the five children in a special apartment at Haga Palace. In another apartment lived mother, and every morning the children were allowed to come down and say “good morning” – and then they had to eat breakfast in another apartment.

It was Nenne that put the little Prince to bed. It was Nenne that sat beside his bed and comforted when he was sick. It was her arms that he sought for when he looked for closeness and when he was sad.

Once per year, Nenne Björnberg was granted a holiday and went away. Little Carl Gustaf dreaded her leaving him. Princess Birgitta describes it in her memoirs “My own way”:
“Nenne had barely left the house before Carl Gustaf started crying. He was impossible to comfort and he cling to me like an ape. My attempts to calm him made no difference, he just went on crying whatever I did. At last I started to get tired in my arms and tried to put him down on the ground again, but he didn’t want to hear about it. He cling my arm and bit me by reflex in the arm!”

The little Prince and Birgitta – maybe also the other siblings – saw Nenne as a deputy mother; their real mother was seldom at hand when they needed her.

Princess Birgitta writes:
“Our mother was sometimes enormously jealous at her, because it was to Nenne that we turned with our small and big troubles. This had a natural explanation though. Our mother was forced to devote a lot of time to the Court’s duties and was often away from home on different assignments.”

When Carl Gustaf was sent to the boarding school in Sigtuna, that he was not allowed to leave at the holidays, he found his place very well there. But Birgitta writes:
“The one he missed the least was our mother – not by lack of love, but because the official duties took so much of her time.”

Nenne was the good mother in the little Prince’s life. Nenne also became like a grandmother to the royal children Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine. Nenne passed away in 1994.

But Carl Gustaf was also to be brought up by men, among others his favourite uncle, Prince Bertil. The air force Colonel Ulf Björkman, who was Gustaf VI Adolf’s Aide-de-Camp, and who sometimes stepped as it for “the little King”, tells:
- I stepped in for him when he lived at the bachelor apartment at the Palace. We used to sit in the kitchen and cooked and talked. But we never talked about the fact that his father was dead.

Ulf Björkman also tells about a man who came to mean a lot for Carl Gustaf:
- He had a spare father in the General Malcolm Murray, who was a very good friend to Princess Sibylla.
- He was a part of the “council” that were to take care of the Crown Prince’s upbringing. Malcolm was a very nice person – happy and liked to joke.

Princess Birgitta says:
- My brother had no memories of his own from our father, but always when we meet – we talk about him.
- He loves to hear us sisters’ talk about father.
- It’s great that my brother is not talking about his loss. It has been great through out his life.

Only once before has King Carl Gustaf mentioned the regret for his father:
- Many of my friends’ fathers became like some sort of spare fathers for me. And then it happened that one felt one would have wanted a father.

The King’s missing of a father and a present mother has characterized his life, and above all how we values his own children.
- When one has three healthy, harmonious children – yes, one is happy. It’s great to be with the children.
- It’s the whole point.

Ginger

Small Member

Sweden Sweden

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »

I've posted it before, but this is a nice pic of Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla that may belong here Smiley.

They were a handsome and glamorous couple, and Madeleine's looks are often compared to those of Sibylla.
There were problems, though. They were thought by some to support Germany during WW II, and Sibyllas father, Karl Edvard, was an influential Nazi party member.
Other people say that being pro Germany was a Swedish "tradition", and had nothing to do with Nazism; it had to do with another, older Germany, which was culturally and economically important, with emperors as well as the Weimar Republic, industrial developpment, and cultural movements such as Romanticism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.or...e_Gustaf_Adolf,_Duke_of_Västerbotten
https://en.m.wikipedia.or..._of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha
https://en.m.wikipedia.or..._of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha

Siblings Bertil, Ingrid (later Queen of Denmark), Sigvard and Gustaf Adolf.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:01:40 AM by Ginger » Logged
rosella
Banned
Banned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:37 AM »

Yes, I think Sybilla and Gustav Adolf's wedding, which occurred soon after Hitler's rise to power, was full of Nazi symbolism and guests from other countries were probably quite embarrassed. I have read that the couple regularly visited a lot of Swedish-German friendship clubs which were established within Sweden in the 1930's.
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:25:41 AM »

He was very handsome and had a sweet smile!

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »

Yes, I think Sybilla and Gustav Adolf's wedding, which occurred soon after Hitler's rise to power, was full of Nazi symbolism and guests from other countries were probably quite embarrassed. I have read that the couple regularly visited a lot of Swedish-German friendship clubs which were established within Sweden in the 1930's.

Well, I can't know for sure but could it be they weren't yet familiar with what kind of a man Hitler was? A lot of people cheered him when he rose to power because at first it seemed like things would take a turn for the better after a bad period but of course they soon realized what was happening and what kind of a man he was. Time Magazine even named him "Man of the Year" in 1938.  Roll Eyes And Sibylla couldn't have done anything about her father and his leanings. As for the wedding, they were married in Germany which would explain the symbolism. I doubt the guests were embarrassed if it was soon after his rise to power. If I've understood correctly the general opinion didn't change until bad things started happening.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »

How sweet:

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »

He was indeed a handsome man.

With regard to Nazi (Germany)

This one seems to be photo-shopped

There is also someone on the internet, who posted pictures of GA (especially the one with the German helmet) with texts like "the Nazi son of a whore".
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »

The well known 4 generations picture:

Another one of that series, but because of the difference in hair of the baby (almost bold, to a lot of hair) I have my doubts it is the same baby in all pictures:

GA together with Juliana and Bernhard at the 5th Worldjamboree in Vogelenzang, Netherlands

GA together with Wilhelmina and Bernhard at the 5th Worldjamboree

GA with Bernhard:

Moose hunt with from left to right: prince Carl of Sweden, king Christian of Denmark, king Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden and ?

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »

Lovely pics Principessa!  Thumb up  Star

So far I haven't seen anything proving GA as a raving Nazi. All of the photos can be explained by normal diplomatic relations. Many people had to deal with those guys even if they didn't agree with their views.

I think the first "four generations" pic is CG and in the rest of the photos it's one of the four princesses (I can't recognize which ones). I love to see the mens faces when they look at the baby. They seem to have a different kind of expression when the baby is a girl.  Grin

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »

So far I haven't seen anything proving GA as a raving Nazi. All of the photos can be explained by normal diplomatic relations. Many people had to deal with those guys even if they didn't agree with their views.

I think the first "four generations" pic is CG and in the rest of the photos it's one of the four princesses (I can't recognize which ones). I love to see the mens faces when they look at the baby. They seem to have a different kind of expression when the baby is a girl.  Grin

I agree with you

BTW when looking at the generation pictures again, it seems to me that the look on the men's face is softer (sweeter) when they are looking at the girl (the baby with the abundance of hair). I guess it is the oldest one(s) of the princesses.

When having a closer look I also noticed difference in the hair of the man (and GA's father with & without glasses, and in and out a chair)
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 05:24:27 PM »

I think the first "four generations" pic is CG and in the rest of the photos it's one of the four princesses (I can't recognize which ones). I love to see the mens faces when they look at the baby. They seem to have a different kind of expression when the baby is a girl.  Grin

I agree with you

BTW when looking at the generation pictures again, it seems to me that the look on the men's face is softer (sweeter) when they are looking at the girl (the baby with the abundance of hair). I guess it is the oldest one(s) of the princesses.

When having a closer look I also noticed difference in the hair of the man (and GA's father with & without glasses, and in and out a chair)

I think the baby is Margaretha in the second photo.

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »

If this dress Leonore wore (Gustav VI Adolf's dress) at the wedding isn't the one worn by Prince GA in the pic then I wonder if we'll see this dress later on... Or is it Sigvard wearing the same dress as Leonore?

Here's Gustav VI Adolf as a child with his brother Wilhelm. Don't you just love how boys were wearing dresses in the past?  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: