Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Gustaf Adolf, CG's dad  (Read 17754 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

"...Sure, he met Hitler, but that was before the war had broken out and as the leader of a Swedish sports group. He was at the home of Herman Goering at Carin Hall, but Goering's secretary wrote that the men could not agree and that there was more invitations. During the war, Sweden was officially neutral, the neutrality included the leading Swedes regularly met with leaders of both Germany and the Allies. The contacts were with both sides all the time, it was a prerequisite for neutrality. There are no pro-Nazi statements of Gustav Adolf. He was not a member of any Nazi organization...."

The king - his father - wrote to Hitler with personal support without permission from the government. This is of course not on GA's shoulders but I cannot with whitewashing of nazi support

I've always though that it would be interesting to know what kind of man CG would have been if his parents had not died. It seems that the Swedes have had a lot of bad luck with big losses in their personal lives for a few generations. It kind of makes you understand what CG and Silvia may have been too soft on their children.

Indeed it makes you wonder, not only about the effects on CG, his sisters and further family. But also what kind of king GA would have been (and in Sibylla's case queen).
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »

"...Sure, he met Hitler, but that was before the war had broken out and as the leader of a Swedish sports group. He was at the home of Herman Goering at Carin Hall, but Goering's secretary wrote that the men could not agree and that there was more invitations. During the war, Sweden was officially neutral, the neutrality included the leading Swedes regularly met with leaders of both Germany and the Allies. The contacts were with both sides all the time, it was a prerequisite for neutrality. There are no pro-Nazi statements of Gustav Adolf. He was not a member of any Nazi organization...."

The king - his father - wrote to Hitler with personal support without permission from the government. This is of course not on GA's shoulders but I cannot with whitewashing of nazi support

I've always though that it would be interesting to know what kind of man CG would have been if his parents had not died. It seems that the Swedes have had a lot of bad luck with big losses in their personal lives for a few generations. It kind of makes you understand what CG and Silvia may have been too soft on their children.

Indeed it makes you wonder, not only about the effects on CG, his sisters and further family. But also what kind of king GA would have been (and in Sibylla's case queen).

Well, there's outright nazi support for ideological reasons (the worst thing) and there's having to have to co-operate with the crazies (like for example Sweden's neighbouring country had to do) to survive, so I understand things are not always that simple.

Personal tragedies do affect people a lot and it might indeed explain why they have been so soft on the children. CG was treated differently for various reasons. He was the long awaited heir to the throne, then he was the poor boy who lost his father. His father's death was never discussed in the family as it was such a terrible tragedy for his mother. I don't think that was wise at all but times were different and grief therapy wasn't known at the time (I feel it is still too rare). I am sure CG was also sad to lose his mother right before he became king, so that his mother never saw her son marry and never met her grandchildren. I also think learning difficulties have had an effect on the family as well. There's now the third generation (at least) suffering from it but luckily they have received help for it so that the fourth generation will have a good chance of overcoming possible difficulties.

But indeed, I wonder if CG would have become such a playboy prince and a sleazy misogynist (at least that's what he seems at times), if he wasn't surrounded by mostly women all his life (makes you wonder how they treated him, were they too pampering or...?) and if he had had his father around. I'm sort of thinking he seems spoiled and since his special position was emphasized, he has a skewed view of the roles of a man and a woman.

Emma Rose

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »

The pictures of CG and his sisters are so adorable. Really lovely children with bright eyes and big smiles. I agree with you Suzerain that he probably was quite spoiled. The baby brother of four big sisters got loads of attention. As you said, he was the long-awaited male heir. I wonder if anyone ever set limits for him. Do you think his mother did or maybe she wasn't allowed.
When I see him in public, giving speeches or an appearance he seems very uptight, rigid, almost distracted at times. It seems like the complete opposite of the CG who hangs out in strip clubs. He is a very strange man. If he had known his father maybe he would have learned to set/respect boundaries.
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »

On October 17, 1936 Prince Gustaf Adolf went to Tallinn. On October 18, 1936 he unveiled a monument of King Karl XII.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHbM9kXiKX0
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 01:47:04 AM »

Christina and her baby brother Smiley

Christina looks like Leonore.  Especially the eyes

Totally, EA  Star I never knew where to put Leonore, now I it's clear to me she totally looks like her great-aunt.

And CG already looks like himself.

Passing Stars

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2017, 01:54:39 AM »

Well, there's outright nazi support for ideological reasons (the worst thing) and there's having to have to co-operate with the crazies (like for example Sweden's neighbouring country had to do) to survive, so I understand things are not always that simple.

Personal tragedies do affect people a lot and it might indeed explain why they have been so soft on the children. CG was treated differently for various reasons. He was the long awaited heir to the throne, then he was the poor boy who lost his father. His father's death was never discussed in the family as it was such a terrible tragedy for his mother. I don't think that was wise at all but times were different and grief therapy wasn't known at the time (I feel it is still too rare). I am sure CG was also sad to lose his mother right before he became king, so that his mother never saw her son marry and never met her grandchildren. I also think learning difficulties have had an effect on the family as well. There's now the third generation (at least) suffering from it but luckily they have received help for it so that the fourth generation will have a good chance of overcoming possible difficulties.

But indeed, I wonder if CG would have become such a playboy prince and a sleazy misogynist (at least that's what he seems at times), if he wasn't surrounded by mostly women all his life (makes you wonder how they treated him, were they too pampering or...?) and if he had had his father around. I'm sort of thinking he seems spoiled and since his special position was emphasized, he has a skewed view of the roles of a man and a woman.

Maybe I have misinformation, but didn't CG's father die in a plane crash with his mistress?  Hadn't he spent extended time with her as well?  If so, it would seem he turned out exactly as his father before him.  Does anyone have any more info on this?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

If I remember it correct late 2016 someone on RD talked about a rumour of GA being in the plane with his mistress. But I can't find it anymore currently. But when I do I will link it overhere
Passing Stars

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »

If I remember it correct late 2016 someone on RD talked about a rumour of GA being in the plane with his mistress. But I can't find it anymore currently. But when I do I will link it overhere

Star  Yes, that is where I read it.  It was Grace Moore that was on the plane with him and I believe I read that they had spent extended periods of time together. 

I was just surprised when I read here that his wife was devastated by his death and that he might have provided CG with a proper role model.  I thought after reading that that maybe I had misunderstood something, but maybe not.  If I had been his wife I don't believe I would be devastated by a cheating husband dying, but that is purely a personal response.
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »

Star  Yes, that is where I read it.  It was Grace Moore that was on the plane with him and I believe I read that they had spent extended periods of time together.  

I was just surprised when I read here that his wife was devastated by his death and that he might have provided CG with a proper role model.  I thought after reading that that maybe I had misunderstood something, but maybe not.  If I had been his wife I don't believe I would be devastated by a cheating husband dying, but that is purely a personal response.

We don't know if it was just a nasty rumour (I couldn't find any information to back this story). Grace Moore had a concert in Copenhagen at the time and was on her way to Stockholm to perform.

Sibylla was left alone with five children, that's enough to devastate anyone. Then again the dirty truth is most men cheat. And many, if not most, women too. Some choose to accept it and some not. If you're lucky to have a spouse who feels the same way about it as you do (both agree to be faithful or to have an open marriage), then I guess things are fine.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:42:21 PM by Suzerain » Logged

Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »

Please remove. Accidentally quoted myself when I was supposed to modify.

Princess MS

Warned
Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 03:52:03 AM »

Star  Yes, that is where I read it.  It was Grace Moore that was on the plane with him and I believe I read that they had spent extended periods of time together.  

I was just surprised when I read here that his wife was devastated by his death and that he might have provided CG with a proper role model.  I thought after reading that that maybe I had misunderstood something, but maybe not.  If I had been his wife I don't believe I would be devastated by a cheating husband dying, but that is purely a personal response.

We don't know if it was just a nasty rumour (I couldn't find any information to back this story). Grace Moore had a concert in Copenhagen at the time and was on her way to Stockholm to perform.

Sibylla was left alone with five children, that's enough to devastate anyone. Then again the dirty truth is most men cheat. And many, if not most, women too. Some choose to accept it and some not. If you're lucky to have a spouse who feels the same way about it as you do (both agree to be faithful or to have an open marriage), then I guess things are fine.

I think if you have the tendancy to stray then you shouldn't marry - my experience is with my brother - cheated on his first wife before and during marriage, and then with his second wife - who was playing around with him during his first marriage - he was in an internet relationship with another woman - it almost ended thee 2nd marriage - but he had serious health problems and she stayed with him. They seem OK now - but he is away for work a lot . . . .
CyrilSebastian

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »

Prince Gustaf Adolf visited Estonia in 1936.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHbM9kXiKX0
SvenskaSarah

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »

This thread is wonderful!
I've always thought it peculiar that CG never gave his parents names to any of his children. I get he never knew his father, but I always presumed he would be close to his mother, apparently not it seems. It also explains why Victoria and CP had names of close relatives, Desiree and Bertil.
And Madde is get reminiscent of Sibylla, and leonore is a wonderful mix of the bernadotte sisters and he father.
I know there's a photo of CG somewhere where Estelle absolutely resembles him.
On the subject of Sibyllas and GA's wedding, can anyone make out it Sibylla is wearing a tiara at all?
Lady Adelaide

Humongous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:49 AM »

AFAIK, CG was not close to his mother. Growing up, the kids lived with their nanny Nenne Björnberg and were allowed to see their mother only once a day.

Sibylla's own mother was named Victoria and she died only a few years before CP Victoria was born. I've always wondered if Vikkan was named after her.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:52:11 AM by Lady Adelaide » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: