Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal children - Belgium  (Read 95591 times)
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »

Havenít they always lived at Laeken?  Seems odd that the school says she canít continue because she lives too far away.  Have the rules just changed?

There are two rules, living nearby and/or havng siblings who already go to the school. Now that Gabriel is going to another school, she can't attend as she doesn't meet either criteria. The same thing happened to Princess Astrid's youngest, who couldn't attend as her siblings had alreadyleft school by the time her parents wanted her there.

The first rule I can understand in some way, the second one makes no sense to me. Children should be free to choose the school they want, regardless of any siblings being there or not.

Hope that Eleonore finds another good one for her.

Yeah.  I just don't understand why a younger sibling would be forced to leave because an elder sibling has.  Seems like they should have grandfathered the younger siblings in (especially ones already enrolled at the primary school) when the rules changed, whenever that was, and then been stricter about living close enough with new families.  After all proximity wasn't a problem when Elisabeth first enrolled and was the only one of the sibling attending.  I'd love to know when the rules changed. 

I guess this is one of those cultural differences we see as a global dishing community because this American can't wrap her head around the whole thing.

Where were they living when Elizabeth enrolled?
The sibling thing is meant to ease the school run for parents, I think, among other things.

I think theyíve always lived at Laeken. 
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2020, 11:17:34 PM »

Havenít they always lived at Laeken?  Seems odd that the school says she canít continue because she lives too far away.  Have the rules just changed?

There are two rules, living nearby and/or havng siblings who already go to the school. Now that Gabriel is going to another school, she can't attend as she doesn't meet either criteria. The same thing happened to Princess Astrid's youngest, who couldn't attend as her siblings had alreadyleft school by the time her parents wanted her there.

The first rule I can understand in some way, the second one makes no sense to me. Children should be free to choose the school they want, regardless of any siblings being there or not.

Yeah.  I just don't understand why a younger sibling would be forced to leave because an elder sibling has.  Seems like they should have grandfathered the younger siblings in (especially ones already enrolled at the primary school) when the rules changed, whenever that was, and then been stricter about living close enough with new families.  After all proximity wasn't a problem when Elisabeth first enrolled and was the only one of the sibling attending.  I'd love to know when the rules changed. 

I guess this is one of those cultural differences we see as a global dishing community because this American can't wrap her head around the whole thing.

The sibling thing is meant to ease the school run for parents, I think, among other things.

I know that for some schools in NL with limited capacity, the siblings of current student have preference. Perhaps because of making the school run more easy, but perhaps also because they couldn't make the distinction between sibling.

Though this is not always a good thing. Children should choose their school by their talents.

Otherwise it often comes to the situation of elder (intelligent) sibling being unrolled followed by not so intelligent (or better say in other ways talented) younger sibling.

The first one has it easy, the second is constantly compared and bound to fail.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2020, 08:09:06 AM »

I know that for some schools in NL with limited capacity, the siblings of current student have preference. Perhaps because of making the school run more easy, but perhaps also because they couldn't make the distinction between sibling.

Though this is not always a good thing. Children should choose their school by their talents.

Otherwise it often comes to the situation of elder (intelligent) sibling being unrolled followed by not so intelligent (or better say in other ways talented) younger sibling.

The first one has it easy, the second is constantly compared and bound to fail.

In general my elementary school was choosen based on the fact it was in the nearby town; Catholic and my elder siblings already went there. By the way, if I heard the story correct, my parents originally picked another Catholic school in town with my eldest sibling. But that school had almost no place, and suggested the other school to my parents. It used to be the former boys and girls schools.

My first secondary school (I was at three Smiley ) was choosen again based on that my elder siblings and many other family members have gone there (based on their experiences Wink ). Yet again a Catholic school and my final results at the elementary school and my personality (insecure; a bit withdrawn) were taken into account.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2020, 07:43:51 PM »

September 3
Elisabeth started military school in Brussels
On August 31, 2020, Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium started military school in Brussels. A photo from the first day of the Crown Princess at the Royal Military Academy in Brussels was released. In addition, a video showing the Crown Princess together with the other 169 officer candidates on their first day at the Academy was shared by the Belgian Defence.

The Royal Military Academy is the military university in Belgium and is responsible for the education of officers in the four components of Belgian defence; Army, Air Force, Navy and Medical. As the heir to the Belgian throne, Elisabeth will graduate from the academy with an in-depth understanding of her country's military powers. During the current pandemic, the school takes numerous measures to ensure safety.

YellowPoppy

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »

In Belgium, kindergarten, primary school and secundary school are seen as three separate schools, even if they have the same name. As SJB is a very popular school they start taking in pupils that already have siblings there. Not Eleonores case. Also, they have to take in a certain amount of children who come from a more fragile socio-economical situation. Then - if they have still capacity to take students- they go by who live in the 1km area, who in the 2km area, ... until the classes are filled. Eleonore lives 7km away from the school, so the chance for her to attend that school is quite minimal. The rules have changed 4 or 5 years ago. Before that it was first in, first accepted.
And I would add it is a very popular decision among the Belgian population. A proof that they are not favorited in any regards.

Once you are Real you can?t be ugly, except to people who don?t understand. - The Velveteen Rabbit
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »

In Belgium, kindergarten, primary school and secundary school are seen as three separate schools, even if they have the same name. As SJB is a very popular school they start taking in pupils that already have siblings there. Not Eleonores case. Also, they have to take in a certain amount of children who come from a more fragile socio-economical situation. Then - if they have still capacity to take students- they go by who live in the 1km area, who in the 2km area, ... until the classes are filled. Eleonore lives 7km away from the school, so the chance for her to attend that school is quite minimal. The rules have changed 4 or 5 years ago. Before that it was first in, first accepted.
And I would add it is a very popular decision among the Belgian population. A proof that they are not favorited in any regards.

Thank you for this explaination!
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: September 07, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »

Thank you for this explaination!

Ah ha!!! The rules changed 4-5 years ago.  Now it all makes sense. I was having the hardest time figuring everything out since of course Elisabeth would have been 7km away and the only child at the time of her admittance.  Now things make much more sense.  Thanks YP.  Champagne
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: