Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Charlotte of Wales (George IV's daughter)  (Read 4271 times)
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

Not up on BRF genealogy. I know who Queen Victoria is (a bit) and have been reading up on her. But as one of the article in the link states "Princess Charlotte paved the way for Queen Victoria to reign". Umm..How exactly ?? Plus Princess Charlotte's husband was Sax Coburg Gotha. I know Prince Albert was..did not know there was someone from that area/dynasty (?) in the BRF before. TIA..

P.S..Thanks for the links.

Princess Charlotte was the only legitimate daughter of George IV but she sadly died in 1817 in childbirth thus leaving George with no legitimate heir.  His brother William took the throne upon George's death.   Due to Charlotte's death, and William having no children (his two young daughters Princesses Charlotte and Elizabeth died very young), George's younger brothers all rushed to marry and have legitimate heirs and the first to do so was Prince Edward, Duke of Kent who married a German Princess, Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.  Their only daughter was Victoria who at the time was the only living legitimate heir to the throne, therefore when William died Victoria ascended to the throne who had luckily turned 18 the month previously.

If Charlotte had not sadly died, Victoria would likely not have existed.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
Ellie

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »

There are plenty of books to check out, NoviceDisher! My favorites about Victoria are Becoming Victoria, A.N. Wilson's legendary, huge biography of her, and Helen Rappaport's A Lifelong Passion about her relationship with Albert. There are tons of polarizing views on her, but A.N. Wilson's biography really delves into the mythos of Victoria-who-did-nothing and Victoria the widow.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:49 PM »

...Plus Princess Charlotte's husband was Sax Coburg Gotha. I know Prince Albert was..did not know there was someone from that area/dynasty (?) in the BRF before.
Yes, Charlotte married Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Something, later King Leopold I of the Belgians. He was a brother of Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Something (Queen Victoria's mother) and Ernst of Saxe-Coburg-Something (Prince Albert's father). Were you aware, NoviceDisher, that V&A were first cousins? Quite a fun little factoid. Wink

I'm glad so many Dishers are interested in this thread Yes
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »

Naming their first daughter Charlotte as she was born on the anniversary of Charlotte of Wales' wedding day was a lovely gesture.
I hadn't realized that she was born on Charlotte and Leopold's wedding day. Thank you for sharing.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 11:27:59 PM »

Had this poor young woman lived, the entire course of British history would have been vastly different.
A collection of items belonging to her or associated with her are going to be auctioned 9-15.

https://www.sworder.co.uk...who-would-have-been-queen

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-34101696
One of her gowns was featured in the recent display of royal gowns at KP in 2012.  Smiley
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »

Naming their first daughter Charlotte as she was born on the anniversary of Charlotte of Wales' wedding day was a lovely gesture.

I don't think that had much to do with it considering their ignorance of, well, everything.
I have to agree. Somehow, I doubt the Doltish Duo were aware of the earlier Charlotte; or, if they are, whether they give a royal rat's a$$ Wink
I think they named her Charlotte simply because it's a pretty, "suitable" name, with family associations on both sides. And that's perfectly fine.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »

Had this poor young woman lived, the entire course of British history would have been vastly different.
A collection of items belonging to her or associated with her are going to be auctioned 9-15.

https://www.sworder.co.uk...who-would-have-been-queen

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-34101696
One of her gowns was featured in the recent display of royal gowns at KP in 2012.  Smiley
Thanks, TLLK Smiley. I vaguely remember seeing photos of it at the time...wasn't it her wedding gown? I'll try to find a photo.
******************************************************************************************************
Here it is. Gorgeous (I've always been a complete sucker for Empire-style dresses). The entry also discusses Charlotte's horrific death in childbirth. Poor, poor girl Cry
http://orderofsplendor.bl...-princess-charlottes.html

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:47:09 AM by editorathome » Logged
NoviceDisher

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 02:53:46 AM »

...Plus Princess Charlotte's husband was Sax Coburg Gotha. I know Prince Albert was..did not know there was someone from that area/dynasty (?) in the BRF before.
Yes, Charlotte married Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Something, later King Leopold I of the Belgians. He was a brother of Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Something (Queen Victoria's mother) and Ernst of Saxe-Coburg-Something (Prince Albert's father). Were you aware, NoviceDisher, that V&A were first cousins? Quite a fun little factoid. Wink

I'm glad so many Dishers are interested in this thread Yes

EAH,

I was aware they were related on Queen Vic's mother's side and Prince Albert was encouraged by her brother, a King Leopold to pursue then Princess Victoria. I did not realize it was this Leopold  Shocked. Small world.  So apparently Leopold went back to Belgium after Princess Charlotte died I presume. Quite fascinating..Thanks.

Thanks Mollie and Ellie for the relationship history and the book recs.

Regarding baby Princess Charlotte of Cambridge being named after this Princess Charlotte, I read somewhere that Charlotte is the female form of Charles and she was named after her grandparents and QEII. Don't know how accurate that is of course.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:01 AM »

Bless you editor!!!! Star Star Banana
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:42 AM »

I don't think that had much to do with it considering their ignorance of, well, everything.
I have to agree. Somehow, I doubt the Doltish Duo were aware of the earlier Charlotte; or, if they are, whether they give a royal rat's a$$ Wink
I think they named her Charlotte simply because it's a pretty, "suitable" name, with family associations on both sides. And that's perfectly fine.
OMG!! Bear with me editor but I had the most bizarre fictional scenario pop into my head. Charles in an attempt to make lighthearted conversation with his exhausted daughter-in-law who has just delivered her second child on May 2nd, shares the story of Charlotte and Leopold's wedding day. As he goes through the tale he eventually remembers that the end of the story doesn't have the happiest of endings and desperately tries to divert Kate when he sees the terrified look on her face when she realizes which Princess he's recalling. Tongue Yes that was a fictional scene but on some level you know it could be something that he'd do.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »

If anything Qe picked the name.
These 2 idiots, no way.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 12:44:52 AM »

Before her marriage to Prince Leopold, Parliament voted that Princess Charlotte was to have 10,000 pounds a year pin money to cover the cost of her clothes and the payment of her personal maids.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: