Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationships between the BRF and other royal families.  (Read 13645 times)
NoviceDisher
Banned
Warned
Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:27:42 PM »

Rather new to royal watching, one thing that has struck me as I see pictures or read about the different royal families is how they relate to one another. Even on state visits the hugs and handshakes are clearly friends greeting each other, not just as royals and it seems to apply to both the generation of Queen Daisy and Queen Maxima. This does not seem to stop with European Royals though. I read a rather lovely story about how the former Netherlands Queen Beatrix invited the Japanese Crown Princess and Prince for a holiday when she became ill, Queen Max personally invited her for the coronation for which the Crown Princess came after being a recluse for years. There is also a lovely picture of them greeting Queen Max and King William Alexander during the state visit in Japan. Even when they are curtseying to the King you can tell there is so much warmth in the picture, they are meeting as friends.

I have not seen any such pictures with the BRF or heard of any such relationships except the Saudis and if I am being snarky, it may be because they seem to shower them with jewels during weddings and such.

My question, do close, personal friendships exist between any members of the BRF, past and present with any other members of other royal families. Many European royal families I am certain are related to the BRF through Queen Vic, so I am surprised closer friendships don't exist though this may be an entirely wrong assumption on my part.

TIA !!
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »

The friendships etc are there but they don't show it in public as much e.g. every year Queen Margrethe does her shopping in London and she always drops in on Elizabeth for tea etc. This is also the case with other foreign royals. The fact that London is a place for shopping and other events means that many of the other royals actually visit there unofficially and so the do get to visit with the UK royals but they don't do it where the public can see them.

The Norwegians used to even to catch up with the British royals in the waters around Scotland when both families would be on their respective summer holidays and thus on their yachts - again away from the prying eyes of the press and the public. I believe that many of these families also visit over that summer break in Scotland with no coverage and again during the break at Sandringham.

The other difference is that the intermarriage between the BRF and the Europeans (other than The Queen herself and the late Duke of Kent stopped after WWI while the other families maintained that situation for another couple of generations and so the blood relationships are closer).
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:29:58 AM »

The Queen is probably closer to the Norwegian, Greek, and Danish royal families than she is to the others.  There is a close family link with the Norwegians through Queen Maud, the current King of Norway's grandmother.  Maud was born a British princess and returned to Britain quite often.  The Greek Royals spent most of their exile in England and Prince Philip was a cousin to King Constantine's father.  Queen Ingrid of Denmark's mother was a British princess and Ingrid spent a great deal of time in England visiting her grandfather, the Duke of Connaught.  Queen Ingrid was friends with her cousin George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth and Princess Elizabeth knew Queen Ingrid since she was a child.  (Queen Ingrid was also one of the few Continental Royals who did not look down on Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother for being a commoner.)  Queen Ingrid was also Princess Margaret's godmother.  The Queen has also made many private visits to Germany over the years to visit her in-laws.  These were almost always kept quiet.

Charles is on very close terms with Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Queen Margrethe of Denmark.  He also keeps in good contact with his German relations, cousins through Prince Philip's siblings.

Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia (formerly of Yugoslavia) is close to the Queen and Prince Philip, his mother being Philip's cousin.  The Queen is also Alexander's godmother, and the Princess Royal is godmother to Alexander's eldest son, Prince Peter.

Prince Edward is seemingly closer to Princes Fredrik and Joachim of Denmark, and to Princess Martha-Louise of Norway than he is to the rest.  He also visits Prince Philip's German relations often.

Andrew seems to have little contact with European Royals,  It's probably because there is nothing in it for him, and prefers the perks associated with the Middle Eastern Royals.

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, discouraged fraternization with European Royal Families for a variety of reasons, unless an appearance should be made for official purposes.  She was very friendly with the Norwegian and Danish Royals however.

Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »

Charles is on very close terms with Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Queen Margrethe of Denmark.  He also keeps in good contact with his German relations, cousins through Prince Philip's siblings.

Prince Edward is seemingly closer to Princes Fredrik and Joachim of Denmark, and to Princess Martha-Louise of Norway than he is to the rest.  He also visits Prince Philip's German relations often.

I never got the sense Charles is "on very close terms with Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Queen Margrethe of Denmark". I don't remember he ever attended royal gatherings in those countries. Did he attend Beatrix's abdication and WA's coronation? He didn't attend Marge's birthday party. The only royal family Charles is close to seems to be Spanish royal family. Charles attended the state funeral for March 11 victims in Spain, F&L's wedding. He also famously vacationed in Mallorca with the SRF before.

Besides Spanish royal events, QEII usually send Edward to royal events in other European countries, especially Scandinavian ones. That's why Edward seems to be on good terms with all the Scandinavian royals.

Whether they keep personal relationships? Who knows?
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »

Charles and Camilla were at WA enthronement and the dinner the night before.
emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:55:48 AM »

The friendships etc are there but they don't show it in public as much e.g. every year Queen Margrethe does her shopping in London and she always drops in on Elizabeth for tea etc. This is also the case with other foreign royals. The fact that London is a place for shopping and other events means that many of the other royals actually visit there unofficially and so the do get to visit with the UK royals but they don't do it where the public can see them.

The Norwegians used to even to catch up with the British royals in the waters around Scotland when both families would be on their respective summer holidays and thus on their yachts - again away from the prying eyes of the press and the public. I believe that many of these families also visit over that summer break in Scotland with no coverage and again during the break at Sandringham.

The other difference is that the intermarriage between the BRF and the Europeans (other than The Queen herself and the late Duke of Kent stopped after WWI while the other families maintained that situation for another couple of generations and so the blood relationships are closer).

I watched the documentary on QEII made for the Jubilee a few years ago, there was footage of a private reception held for all the crowned heads of Europe, and show HM greeting them...... Apparently she is particularly close to King Harald and Queen Margrethe, they even interviewed QM and she said how much she valued QEII input when she first ascended the throne, both being young mothers who had been incredibly close to their fathers, and the unique challenges of being Queen Regnant

I do think they keep these things private Smiley
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »

I never got the sense Charles is "on very close terms with Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Queen Margrethe of Denmark". I don't remember he ever attended royal gatherings in those countries. Did he attend Beatrix's abdication and WA's coronation? He didn't attend Marge's birthday party. The only royal family Charles is close to seems to be Spanish royal family. Charles attended the state funeral for March 11 victims in Spain, F&L's wedding. He also famously vacationed in Mallorca with the SRF before.

Besides Spanish royal events, QEII usually send Edward to royal events in other European countries, especially Scandinavian ones. That's why Edward seems to be on good terms with all the Scandinavian royals.

Whether they keep personal relationships? Who knows?

Edward probably has the best relationship out if his siblings with the other royals, simply because he attends all the wedding and birthdays.  Edward and Sophie also attended Albert's enthronement in 2005 and Sophie was invited by Albert and Charlene to attend the Monaco Grand Prix in 2012.  I reckon the Wessex's are friends with the other royals now as well, and I also believe that if they were "higher up" in the line of succession they would be chosen as godparents to their friends royal children.  Charlene has been said to see Sophie as a good friend and it's reported that Sophie and Edward have been to Holland to see WA and Maxima during summers.

I think it's a shame that the British have singled themselves out from their European counter parts, as we see the others royals having each other as godparents to their children.  Only Anne and Edward have foreign royals as godchildren; Haakon and Nikolai respectively.  (I am not including the Greeks in this as the Queen, Philip, Charles and William all have Greek godchildren.) 

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
NoviceDisher
Banned
Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:33:39 PM »

Thank you very much for the replies. Interesting to note that the BRF are rather private in their friendships and meetings with other royalty and also the Queen Mom was not keen to associate.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »

My two cents:
the BRF is somewhat between the generations.
Look at Spain, DK, NL, B, N: the Kings and Queens were born in > JC:Jan,38/ QM:Apr.40 /QB:Jan38 /KA: June34/KH: Feb37) - They all married in the sixties (meaning they all spent time at the marriage market at prox. the same time) - they all had children in the late sixties. (Fred/Jokke:68/69; NL:67/68/69; ES:63/65/68.....B: )
So consequently the heirs (and now new kings) are again almost of the same age and again married around the same time and have children of the very same ages.
The BRF is the odd one out, with Edward (*64) bridging it.
I think if you are living such a strange and uncommon life, you do get somewhat close to those other 10 -15 people who are in the same boat. NOt necessarily because you really like them, but I think nobody else can really truly grasp the situation. Esp. for the consorts the contact to other women pulled out of the normal common life and catapulted into a limelighted existence, in which you get judged by your couture and the ability to look concerned when meeting the dirty and disabled, and happy yet composed when being handed a bouquet of flowers, is enormous helpful. It also bonds if you go thru those stages of married life and building a family together. Plus since we the public always get our collective knickers wet when we have more than just one royal, the big gatherings are the PR sensation of entire years, they meet each other regulary and so I suppose they get on well on those occasions. 

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Fairy Queen

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »

wasn't there a foreign Royal staying at Balmoral in 1997 when swmnbn died?

The greeks of course are close to the wales, and Theodora visits the Queen, and talks to her Aunt Sophia on the phone..you never know who the BRF are phoning in private.

I read that the Queens best female friend is a Romanov but she lost her title when she moved to the uk, and her romanov name when she married. 
tcalvar

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

wasn't there a foreign Royal staying at Balmoral in 1997 when swmnbn died?

Yes, Queen Beatrix was staying as a guest of the Queen Elizabeth's at Balmoral when Diana died. I believe the British Royals are actually closer to a lot Europe's non-reigning royal family like the Greeks and Romanians because they lived in the UK for years.

As others have said, many of the visits of by European royal families are done in private. I know Queen Silvia has stayed as a guest of Charles at Highgrove several times. Also when Prince Friso of the Netherlands was in hospital in London after his skiing accident, I know for a fact Queen Beatrix and her daughter-in-law stayed at Windsor (I know because my granny lives in Windsor and when we were visiting her I witnessed Beatrix's motorcade leaving).
MadMissManton
Banned
Banned
Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »

Why did the Queen Mother, Elizabeth, discourage contact with European Royal families?
Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Je chante donc je suis...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

Why did the Queen Mother, Elizabeth, discourage contact with European Royal families?

Did she now?  Thinking A lady of many unusual skills, was the Queen Mother...

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »

The Queen Mum was a product of the English Country House set, grandees with huntin fishin and shootin as their main activities.  She wanted to move away from the "german" aspects of the British royal family, having lost a brother or two in WWI.  Yes, she knew and turned down Prince Paul of Yugoslavia, but her main circles were landed British aristocrats.

The close friend who was a Romanov was probably one of the Wernher sisters, descended through the female, morganatic line.  *Her* daughters all married incredibly well (Abercorn, Westminster, Dalhousie, etc.).
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »

The Queen Mum was a product of the English Country House set, grandees with huntin fishin and shootin as their main activities.  She wanted to move away from the "german" aspects of the British royal family, having lost a brother or two in WWI.  Yes, she knew and turned down Prince Paul of Yugoslavia, but her main circles were landed British aristocrats.

The close friend who was a Romanov was probably one of the Wernher sisters, descended through the female, morganatic line.  *Her* daughters all married incredibly well (Abercorn, Westminster, Dalhousie, etc.).

Very interesting, I didn't know this.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: