Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German nobility  (Read 10333 times)
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:42:42 AM »

The House of Walburg-Wolfegg

Waldburg-Wolfegg was a County ruled by the House of Waldburg, located in southeastern Baden-W?rttemberg, Germany. Waldburg-Wolfegg was a partition of Waldburg-Wolfegg-Zeil and was repartitioned in 1667, creating Waldburg-Waldsee, which annexed Waldburg-Wolfegg in 1798 and became the principality of Waldburg-Wolfegg and Waldsee.

Counts of Waldburg-Wolfegg
- Maximilian Franz Eusebius, 1667-81
- Ferdinand Louis, 1681-1735
- Joseph Franz, 1735-74
- Ferdinand, 1774-79
- Josef Alois, 1779-91
- Karl Eberhard Wunibald, 1791-98

Wolfegg Castle & Church

Count Georg von Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee and his bride Anna, Baroness Gyllenkrok in the Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee tiara.

[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:48:54 AM by PeDe » Logged

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »

There are several cadet branches of the House of Walburg

The House of Waldburg is a princely family of Upper Swabia, founded some time previous to the 12th century; the cadet lineages are comital families.

Eberhard von Tanne-Waldburg (? - 1234) was the steward, or seneschal, and adviser of the Staufen dukes of Swabia, and later the adviser of the Emperor Friedrich II. During the anti-Staufen uprising, he and his brother Friedrich von Tanne took opposing sides. Friedrich was killed in 1197 in Montefiascone and Eberhard became the guardian of his nephew, Heinrich, until 1220. Subsequently, he and his nephew administered Swabia during the absence of the emperors. He was entrusted with the imperial regalia that was kept at Waldburg from 1220?1225, hence the name "seneshal," or steward. Eberhard was the founding "father" of the Waldburg lines, and from him the medieval, early modern, and modern lines descend.

Comital families

Waldburg-Waldburg

Waldburg-Capustigall

Waldburg-Wurzach

Waldburg-Sonnenburg ⋅

Waldburg-Friedburg-Scheer

Waldburg-Wolfegg-Zeil

Waldburg-Waldsee

Waldburg-Scheer

Waldburg-Trauchburg

Waldburg-Wolfegg

Waldburg-Zeil

PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:44:53 AM »

Here the Walburg-Zeil branch

michelleq

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:46:42 AM »

I see that the Margrave of Baden and his brother, I believe was in Great Britain to celebrate the Queen's Birthday. Also were Donatus of Hesse and his wife Flora. Is this the main branch of Hesse? I know there were multiple branches years ago. Also, I read that the Hesse Foundation owns two hotels, a winery and multiple castles. You don't hear much about them. Can anyone provide additional information? I know that they are related to the Berleburgs through their mother, Tatiana.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »

I see that the Margrave of Baden and his brother, I believe was in Great Britain to celebrate the Queen's Birthday. Also were Donatus of Hesse and his wife Flora. Is this the main branch of Hesse? I know there were multiple branches years ago. Also, I read that the Hesse Foundation owns two hotels, a winery and multiple castles. You don't hear much about them. Can anyone provide additional information? I know that they are related to the Berleburgs through their mother, Tatiana.

If I understand your question correct, you would like to have more info about the Hesse family. Well, I am going to give it a try  Wink

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Hesse):

• The House of Hesse descends directly of the House of Brabant.
  • Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse, died in 1567. Hesse was divided between his four sons, four new lines which arose: Hesse-Darmstadt, Hesse-Kassel, Hesse-Marburg and Hesse-Rheinfels

Hesse (1264-1567)
- Hesse - Kassel (1567-1866), became Electorate of Hesse in 1803
              - Hesse-Rotenburg (1627-1834)
              - Hesse-Wanfried (1627-1755)
              - Hesse-Rheinfels (1627-1754)
              - Hesse-Sweden (1720-1751), died out as King Frederik I of Sweden had no legitimate heirs
              - Hesse-Philippsthal (1685-1866)
                          - Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (1721-1866)
              - Hanau-Schaumburg (1831/1853, morganatic line)
- Hesse-Marburg (1567, divided in 1604 between Hesse-Darmstadt and Hesse-Kassel)
- Hesse-Rheinfels (1567, divided in 1583 between Hesse-Darmstadt, Hesse-Kassel and Hesse-Marburg)
- Hesse - Darmstadt (1567-1918), became Grand Duchy of Hesse in 1806
              - Hesse-Butzbach (1609-1642)
              - Hesse-Braubach (1609-1651)
              - Hesse-Homburg (1622-1866)
              - Hesse-Itter (1661-1676)
              - Battenberg (1858, morganatic line. Is named Mountbatten since 1917)

In the early 19th century the Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel was elevated to Elector of Hesse (1803), while the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt became the Grand Duke of Hesse (1806), later Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Hesse-Kassel and its junior lines were annexed by Prussia in 1866. Hesse-Darmstadt became the People's State of Hesse when the monarchy was abolished in 1918. Hesse-Philippsthal died out in the male line in 1925, Hesse-Darmstadt in 1968. The male-line heirs of Hesse-Kassel and Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld flourish.

Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse (17 October 1966) is the current (2012) head of the house. He is the eldest son and successor of German aristocrat Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, and his former wife, Princess Tatiana of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. Donatus originates from the Hesse-Kassel line.

Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse (1926-2013) was the son of Prince Philip, Landgrave of Hesse and Princess Mafalda of Savoy (daughter of   King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy and his wife Elena of Montenegro). During the Second World War, Mafalda was arrested by the Nazi for alleged subversive activities and died in the concentration camp of Buchenwald in 1944.

Philip, Landgrave of Hesse (1869 - 1980) the third son of Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse and of his wife Princess Margaret of Prussia (sister of Emperor Wilhelm II). In October 1918, Philipp's father was elected king of Finland. It was intended that Philipp would eventually succeed his father as Head of the House of Hesse, while his (younger) twin brother Wolfgang would be heir to the Finnish throne. The plans for a Finnish monarchy, however, soon came to an abrupt end with the defeat of Germany; Finland became a republic in July 1919. On 28 May 1940, Philipp succeeded his father as Head of the Electoral House of Hesse. In 1968, upon the death of his distant agnatic relative, Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine (who was also his second cousin as Philipp's mother and Louis' father were grandchildren of Queen Victoria), Philipp succeeded to the total headship of the entire House of Hesse, including grand ducal Hesse (Hesse and by Rhine/Hesse-Darmstadt. Louis had nominally adopted Philipp's son Moritz, who at that time inherited the Hessian and by-Rhine properties. Louis was an enthusiastic Nazi, but was apparently something went wrong during WW II.
End 1943 he was arrested and stripped of his Nazi party membership. Philipp was sent to subsequently Flossenburg and Dachau concentration camps. While his wife Mafalda was sent to Buchenwald concentration camp after questioning, where she died.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »

Ernst Ludwig (1868-1937) was the last Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine from 1892 until 1918.

Ernst Ludwig was the oldest son of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine and his wife Princess Alice of the United Kingdom, daughter of Queen Victoria. Therefore he was a grandson of Queen Victoria.

Ernst Ludwig's early life was shrouded with death:
- When he was five, his brother Prince Friedrich died after a fall out of a window (Friedrich suffered from haemophilia)
- When he was nine / ten, an epidemic of diphtheria swept through Darmstadt. All the children (except Princess Elisabeth) and their father fell ill.  Princess Alice cared for her sick husband and children, but on 16 November, the youngest of them, Princess Marie, died. Alice eventually also fell in and died in December of the same year.

There was a strong Russian connection:
- His elder sister Elisabeth (1864-1918) married Grand Duke Sergei of Russia (1857-1905), son of Emperor Alexander II of Russia (and uncle of Emperor Nicholas II)
- His younger sister Alexandra or Alix (1872-1918) married Tsar (Emperor) Nicholas II of Russia (1868-1918), the last Emperor of the Russian empire.

An ancestor of Ernst Ludwig, his great aunt, also married into the Russian Royal Family:
Marie of Hesse and by Rhine (1824-1880) married Emperor Alexander II (1818-1881). So she was the mother of Grand duke Sergei and the grandmother of Emperor Nicholas II.

In 1894 Ernst Ludwig married his first cousin (from maternal side) Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha ("Ducky") (1876-1936). They had two children:
1. Elisabeth, born on March 11, 1895, who died of typhoid fever on November 16, 1903 at age eight
2. a son, stillborn on 25 May 1900.

The marriage wasn't happy and was in trouble. In 1901, after the dead of Queen Victoria (who was against the divorce), the couple divorced. Rumour had it Ernst Ludwig was homosexual (or perhaps bisexual).

In 1905 Ernst Ludwig remarried to Princess Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich (1871-1937). They had two sons:
1. Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1906?1937), who married Princess Cecilie of Greece (1911-1937), sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. They had four children:
    1.1 Ludwig, prince of Hesse and by Rhine (1931-1937)
    1.2 Alexander, prince of Hesse and by Rhine (1933-1937)
    1.3 Johanna, princess of Hesse and by Rhine (1936-1939)
    1.4 stillborn son (1937)
2. Louis, Prince of Hesse and by Rhine (1908?1968), who married the Hon. Margaret Geddes (1913-1997) daughter of Lord Geddes (Auckland Geddes, 1st Baron Geddes); no issue. Louis adopted Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse as his heir, thereby uniting the two lines of the Hesse family.

Ernst Ludwig died in October 1937 at Schlo? Wolfsgarten, near Darmstadt after a long illness.

Unfortunately his surviving family would soon encounter tragedy:
Eleonore died in November 1937 in an airplane crash on her way to her son Louis's wedding in London. Also killed in the crash was her elder son Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse, his wife Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark, and their two sons, Ludwig and Alexander. Also their unborn son was stillborn in the airplane crash, his remains were found amongst the wreckage.

After the crash Louis and Margaret adopted Johanna, their orphaned niece, and planned to raise her as their own daughter, but she developed meningitis and died twenty months later at the age of two and a half.

Louis succeeded his brother Georg Donatus as the titular Grand Duke of Hesse after his death. Louis and his wife Margaret had no issue. Besides the adoption of Johanna, who died twenty months later. In 1960 Prince Louis adopted his distant cousin Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse (of the Hesse-Kassel line).

In 1964 Louis stood as godfather to Prince Edward of United Kingdom.

Yvonne

Mini Member

Ethiopia Ethiopia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »

Didn't know where to post this, sorry if the wrong place:

Prince Georg-Constantin de Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach died at 41 in a riding accident. He was the heir to the head of the House but had no issue, so the House will be extinct now. He has a wife who he married back in 2015.

http://www.noblesseetroya...imar-eisenhach-1977-2018/
lucy

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »

Oh what sad sad news  Cry Cry Cry
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »

Very sad and coming so soon after the death in a car accident of Duke Friedrich of Wurttemburg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »

Very sad news. For a short period of time the Saxe Weimar Eisenach had an opening in succession to the Dutch throne, through the Dutch princess Sophie who married in to this family
Olya

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »

German prince, 41, who moved to UK to marry his English sweetheart is killed while riding with his baron friend at 2.5m country house

Prince Georg-Constantin of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, 41, thrown from a horse
    The incident happened during a race near Apethorpe Palace, Northamptonshire
    He was successor to the House of Wettin and is a descendant of King George II
    He married Olivia Rachelle Page at a registry office in 2015 and moved to London

http://www.dailymail.co.u...d-falling-horse-race.html
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »

Theodora Sayn-Wittgenstein, who was previously known for a drunken rampage which included hate-crime style comments about killing Muslims, and stripping, got married.

http://www.dailymail.co.u...Wittgenstein-marries.html

Her dress is awful with those pocket flaps.  Also, she is awful for making such hateful comments.  

onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 11:59:06 PM »

That could be a very nice gown if it has better fit around the waist and there were no pockets.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »

That could be a very nice gown if it has better fit around the waist and there were no pockets.

The pockets are terrible.  They ruined the gown.
Celia

Warned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 01:26:52 AM »

I don't think they're pockets.  The "flap" seems to go all the way 'round.  I like the bodice very much.  I'm surprised by the tiny tiara. I would have thought she'd wear something bigger from her family.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: