Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexandra, Countess of Fredensbourg - NEWS & EVENTS  (Read 92117 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

She has very good connections, but she is of a certain age at which it becomes very difficult to find a job. And while she has a lot of soft skills such as an knowledge in diplomacy and meeting and dealing with many people, her own business days are long over.
I have often wondered how much those representative and highly decorative jobs really do pay. She can't associate with any sort of commerce, which would pay very well. She has to go into some sphere, that is socially clean and acceptable for a society lady of her standing.
Of course lecturing at a university would be fab. But truth to be told, what can she bring to the table? Can you really fill an entire course and job with her admittedly quite interesting experiences? Sure she could build some job by going into the speech-holding arena, giving a lecture here, a speech there. But I guess, she'll risk ending up being hired by the women's gardening club in Winnepega for their annual festivities.
Those "sitting on a board - with no previous knowledge - only good connections - and still getting paid more than the CEO of a medium sized company" are few and far between and highly sought after, your connections really need to get their money back for promoting you.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »

October 15
Alexandra attended, dressed up for the Indian girl Pocahontas, a masquerade birthday party in Copenhagen with a Wild West theme.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »

I think itís very interesting that both Alexandra and Marie have managed to make friends of their own here, something Maryís hasnít.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »

I think itís very interesting that both Alexandra and Marie have managed to make friends of their own here, something Maryís hasnít.

...but MEDiana has lots and lots of illusionary friends and ONE Am-bi-ur GF

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
cowgrrl

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2017, 05:31:57 AM »

I'm going to be a nit-picker but Pocahontas wasn't even close to the time we would call the "Wild, Wild West'.  Sacagawea would be closer to that time frame.  Pocahontas was the first American settlements, like Jamestown, VA.

AFA the lecturer position, if the University of Texas can have Matthew McConaughey co-teach a class on film-making (link below) IMO, Alexandra is just as qualified to give a guest lecture.  And the University of Indiana isn't that prestigious.  Its a public, state university that I'm sure does a very good job educating students (I don't think its a diploma mill) but its definitely not an Ivy League school or even one listed in lists of top public universities. 

http://college.usatoday.c...teach-film-class-u-texas/
Sondra Finchley

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »

Its Indiana's business school though right? Agreed its not top 20 but its not bottom of the barrel among state schools either. Actually its somewhat odd choice - wonder who she knows on the faculty or if there is some sort of tie-up with a Danish school for whatever reason.

McConaghey is a well known Texas supporter and usually signs up for volunteer duty to drive kids home on golf carts after football games if they are too drunk to drive. At least he has a connection to the school as an alumna, what is the connection for Alex and Indiana?
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »

Its Indiana's business school though right? Agreed its not top 20 but its not bottom of the barrel among state schools either. Actually its somewhat odd choice - wonder who she knows on the faculty or if there is some sort of tie-up with a Danish school for whatever reason.

McConaghey is a well known Texas supporter and usually signs up for volunteer duty to drive kids home on golf carts after football games if they are too drunk to drive. At least he has a connection to the school as an alumna, what is the connection for Alex and Indiana?

Well, from the university's point of view she has an interesting CV and that is what she can contribute - some interesting guest lectures. Her academic background is not sufficient enough to get a permanent position in a top university.
star555

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2017, 01:28:34 PM »

Just to add, IU's Kelley School of Business is one of the top business schools in the country. I believe it's currently ranked fourth in the country as far as business schools go.
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Snarkle gets the preciousss....

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »

Hereís the press release from the Kelley School of business:

https://news.iu.edu/stori...ases/25-poling-chair.html

This part still bothers me a bit, especially after the Tessy of Luxembourg thing:

"Today I juggle being a full-time and full-on mother to two teenage princes, as well as carrying out board duties and philanthropic work and writing books. I look forward to sharing my experiences and the knowledge gained on the way," she added.

Maybe I've become hypersensitive about mothers referring to the titles of their children but... I know all kids are princes and princesses but it is still a bit strange. Or is this the thing that ex-royals do nowadays to seem more likeable towards other people. "You know me, I'm just a normal mother of two princes... Doing the same school run as all of you, packing Their Royal Highnesses into the car with their lunches..."

onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »

Hereís the press release from the Kelley School of business:

https://news.iu.edu/stori...ases/25-poling-chair.html

This part still bothers me a bit, especially after the Tessy of Luxembourg thing:

"Today I juggle being a full-time and full-on mother to two teenage princes, as well as carrying out board duties and philanthropic work and writing books. I look forward to sharing my experiences and the knowledge gained on the way," she added.

Maybe I've become hypersensitive about mothers referring to the titles of their children but... I know all kids are princes and princesses but it is still a bit strange. Or is this the thing that ex-royals do nowadays to seem more likeable towards other people. "You know me, I'm just a normal mother of two princes... Doing the same school run as all of you, packing Their Royal Highnesses into the car with their lunches..."
This and the mothers who write of their facebook profile (in the section of occupation) "full-time mommy". Like what? A working mother isn't a full-time mother? Is she a mother only the hours she is at home with her children? Why fathers don't put "full-time father" in their profiles? Unfortunately this is a very usual phenomenon in greek society/greek profiles on facebook. I don't know about other countries.

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

In this case Alexandra is not solely to blame. Joachim is equally insistant that his children are called "Prince" - I knew a family who had a child in the same kindergarten as Felix and they (ie not just Alexandra Smiley ) insisted he was called "Prince Felix". So if Alexandra has called her boys princes for 18 years, I am not surprised she still does it and I blame the DRF and their overgrown egos, not Alexandra.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »

Plus I think the way Alexandra said it, you could also interpret it as additional aspect to her teenage sons, who do not have a normal childhood and adolescence due to their royal status.
Love the term "full-time mom":
Does that mean you can do the job part time as well? I mean I presume that if you share your children with another set of parents, that you could do it part-time.
But perhaps if the kids are old enough (thinking 12, 14 and 20) you could try this part time?
I'll let you know how it works, but I suspect it will be tough to get them to respect my "off" time (which would coincidently fall on the time they usually nag for something or need something done yesterday..)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »

This and the mothers who write of their facebook profile (in the section of occupation) "full-time mommy". Like what? A working mother isn't a full-time mother? Is she a mother only the hours she is at home with her children? Why fathers don't put "full-time father" in their profiles? Unfortunately this is a very usual phenomenon in greek society/greek profiles on facebook. I don't know about other countries.

In many countries being a stay at home mother is a possibility - in some it's not really - so it kind of makes sense to have it as part of your online profile, if it's something that means a lot to you and how you see yourself IMO. In Denmark you can't really be a stay at home mother so it's not something you see here, but I can certainly understand why a woman, who for some reason is a stay at home mother would want to emphasise that it's as good as a full time job Smiley
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Snarkle gets the preciousss....

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »

In this case Alexandra is not solely to blame. Joachim is equally insistant that his children are called "Prince" - I knew a family who had a child in the same kindergarten as Felix and they (ie not just Alexandra Smiley ) insisted he was called "Prince Felix". So if Alexandra has called her boys princes for 18 years, I am not surprised she still does it and I blame the DRF and their overgrown egos, not Alexandra.

Good point!  Thumb up I forgot all about Jokke and how he is.

onar, I think all mothers are full-time mothers and all fathers full-time fathers. Some wish to emphasise it but then again, all of us want to feel loved, needed, important and accomplished so I sort of understand it too. Whether parents or not, I hope we could all be respected and loved for being ourselves, not simply for what we've accomplished.

Edit: Maria, agree fully with the points you just made.

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »

Maria, I understand your explanation on "stay-at-home" parents and I do think that women can be their meanest enemies, since as a woman with children you hardly ever do it right:
You stay at home? Lazy ass, mother hen, helicopter parent
You work full time? Why have children anyway, if you don't bother raising them yourself?
You work part time? Commitment problems? Not really cut to do a proper job?
So if Alex had meant it as encouragement for women to choose whatever is right for them and for their family, great. But I didn't read it that way. I think it was a jab at being a divorced woman whose children have a second home base, and as such the "grass" mother could be accused of "having nothing efficient and productive to do".

Mary's life motto:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: